April 19, 2024, 10:32:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UCD spends 150,000 to study duct tape  (Read 1937 times)
FormerFLGirl
Scared Monkey

« on: October 08, 2009, 05:21:37 PM »

Was reading and caught this article and found it interesting so i figured I would share 
http://cbs13.com/local/uc.davis.duct.2.1234893.html

UCD Spends $150,000 To Study... Duct Tape?
Conclusions Could Advance Forensic Science
More Local News
Reporting
Mike Dello Stritto
DAVIS, Calif. (CBS13) ―

It may seem absurd -- $150,000 in taxpayer dollars being used to study duct tape -- but the work done inside a U.C. Davis laboratory could change the way evidence is used in criminal trials everywhere.

"I agree, it sounds flaky," laughed Fred Tulleners, the director of the forensic science department at U.C. Davis.

Tulleners believes the grant from the federal government will establish statistics that show each tear of a strip of duct tape is unique, a valuable resource for crime scene investigators.

A graduate student studied 100 pieces of duct tape, pairing them with the corresponding tape torn from it. It's an elaborate jigsaw puzzle, Tulleners said.

"It takes time and patience," he added.

The data from the experiment is designed to back up what is currently just opinion in criminal courts.

"Current testimony is that duct tape physically matches, but they can't put any statistics on it," Tulleners explained. "They can say, 'In my opinion, it's unique,' but [lawyers] can say, 'How do you know that? Have you examined 100? Have you examined 1,000?"

The $150,000 is part of the $2 million given to the university to study forensic evidence. The bulk of the money is going to something more traditional: bullets and bullet casings.

"Every gun will leave some kind of signature and we want to see if that can be duplicated or not," Tulleners said.

Researchers will use the same idea with duct tape in sampling bullet casings and bullets -- they are planning a mammoth project of cataloging a database of 10,000, allowing automatic computer cross-matching of ammo fired from the same gun.

That will give lawyers more ammo to prove innocence or guilt in court.

The conclusions from the study are expected to be hitting courtrooms sooner rather than later; researchers expect it to be used in about three years.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »

This is an interesting study FormerFLGirl, especially since we've been discussing duct tape in Caylee Anthony's case.  Thank you for bringing this article to SM. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
FormerFLGirl
Scared Monkey

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 02:28:15 PM »

Thanks MuffyBee. It popped in mind when i ran across it too , that it will a very important part due to the duct tape involved. I am sure all of us will get to know alot about duct tape in this trial. I am hoping the FBI has more information than we do. Cant wait to see Casey go down I am hoping she pulls the rest of the clan with her!
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.