March 28, 2024, 05:44:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Tory gamble on huge cuts to fix Britain" - Why not the U.S?  (Read 1448 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 09, 2009, 06:02:36 AM »

GEORGE Osborne yesterday warned Britain to brace itself for massive cuts in spending - as he vowed to get the nation's finances back on track.

The Shadow Chancellor made the speech of his life as he prepared the country for an assault on its public sector pay bill.

Only the Armed Forces and lower-paid State workers were singled out for protection. For servicemen, the Operational Allowance for six month tours of duty on frontline missions like Afghanistan will be doubled to £4,800. And a million State employees earning less than £18,000 will escape the pain of a pay freeze.

But for the other 80 per cent of PUBLIC SECTOR STAFF - about five million employees - there would be no pay rise in 2011 under a Tory government.

It means nurses, teachers, police and doctors would all get a pay cut in real terms. That compares with the 750,000 high-earners lined up for a freeze next year by Chancellor Alistair Darling. But Mr Osborne warned it was a stark choice to freeze pay or axe 100,000 public sector jobs.

Doesn't the U.K. already have a shortage of nurses and doctors?  Failing health system?

WHITEHALL COSTS will also be reduced by a third by cutting back on needless officials hired by Labour to do unnecessary jobs.

QUANGOS - government agencies with massive budgets and salaries for executives - will also feel the pinch. Senior civil servants and quango bosses will have their pensions capped at £50,000-a-year. The measure will save £3billion-a-year.

Why not privatize the government pensions in the U.S.?

All INCAPACITY BENEFIT claimants will be retested and those who can work will go on to Jobseekers' Allowance. It would bring about a saving of £600million.

This sounds like Social Security and unemployment.  Maybe the U.S. could save some here too.

All PUBLIC SECTOR SALARIES higher than the Prime Minister's £197,000-a-year will be reduced by Mr Osborne unless it can be fully justified.

I wonder how many public sector jobs pay more than the president?  Members of Congress?  Say 500% above the FPL for a family of four, or say $250,000? (the Obama magic number.)

Off the top of my head, school administrators in large districts...this would be an interesting study.

The Shadow Chancellor shunned the traditional standing ovation as he made it clear he was not interested in grandstanding - and keen to get down to business.

Mr Osborne's no-nonsense address risked upsetting millions, but he made it clear it was time to be "straight" with the country about the plight we are in. He said:

"Britain cannot go on like this. We are sinking in a sea of debt. We know what the task is. Britain is coming out of the deepest recession since the war. (U.S. Congress remains clueless)

"Our country is facing the largest budget deficit in our modern history.

"And we will have no choice but tackle it decisively if we are to stop high interest rates and the unemployment they bring.

"Labour created this mess. I have learned you have to say the true things that need saying or not bother doing the job at all.

"I want my children to think that our generation paid off its debts, valued its savers, rewarded responsibility, invested in their future. And because I want it for my children, I want it for your children too.

"We are all in this together. These are the honest choices in the world in which we live and we have made them today.

"Anyone who tells you these choices can be avoided is not telling you the truth. We are all in this together. (Obama thinks everyone wants to spend the US into financial disaster)

"We have to be open and transparent with the people we serve."

Why don't we get politicians like this in the US?

Why does the Obama administration keep everything hidden?  Why are taxpayers in the dark about all the wheeling and dealing done that doesn't benefit anyone but Wall Street, unions, special interest groups, and politicians?

What happend to putting Main Street first?  Reading the legislation you vote on and sign?  Is Washington ashamed of what they are doing to the nation? 

"We didn't know..."  "CBO didn't tell us..."  "I don't have time to read the bill..."  "My staff..."

more ideas here - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2671124/Tory-gamble-on-huge-cuts-to-fix-Britain.html

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:05:20 AM »

The goal "a speedy path to future prosperity"

“If you put in the effort to bring in a wage, you will be better off,” Cameron said, echoing former prime minister Margaret Thatcher’s quotation of a prayer when she became prime minister in 1979 . “If you save money, you’ll be rewarded. If you start your own business, we’ll be right behind you. If you’re frightened, we’ll protect you. We will reward those who take responsibility and care for those who can’t.”

In the US, we keep the shovel moving to funnel money to big things that don't work on Wall Street, in Detroit, foreign business/nations/workers, and in communities everywhere. 

NOTHING for hardworking small or medium businesses and folks on Main Street.

Should those who make the effort to earn a wage get to keep it?

Does taxing folks to work spread the wealth of a nation or just the earning of those who work?

Who's spreading the wealth of those who invest in municipal bonds and reaping billions in Federal taxpayer funding of improvements?  The wealth of those will offshore real estate investments?  Those that fail to report their foreign investments that remain hidden from the taxman?

Should wage earners be punished by government taxation?

Cameron also said yesterday that the Bank of England’s money- printing programme would lead to inflation, in a hint that the opposition would stop the government’s main economic stimulus programme if it wins the next election.

“If we spend more than we earn, we have to get the money from somewhere,” Cameron said. “Right now, the government is simply printing it. Sometime soon that will have to stop because in the end printing money leads to inflation.”

Why isn't the Obama administration worried about inflation?  Pelosi?  Reid?  Barney?  Maybe they are invested in things like land, gold...

Cameron hopes the public will welcome the honesty of his pessimistic economic assessment — particularly in the wake of a scandal over legislators’ expense claims, which dented trust in Parliament.

In the US, I've read about scandals involving community organizations, ACORN, tax evaders/cheats/incompetents making our tax laws and running the treasury. 

Congress keeps them in their jobs and sends more money.  Oops...fire up the printing press so they can send more money offshore!!!

read more here - http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/Content.aspx?id=83536#

jmho

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:52:49 AM »

I wonder how much Goldman Sachs makes on debt in the UK?  How much would they profit if the UK pound collapses?

"The fiscal costs of this crisis around the world, including the UK, are not as severe as some people make out.

"It has suddenly become very trendy to be the toughest person around whether you are in the private sector or in Government or in opposition as to what we are going to do about the deficit."

That was Goldman Sachs' chief economist, Jim O'Neill, speaking this morning about the state of the public finances.

The bottom line here is that fears of a run on the pound and that the Government would not only lose its cherished AAA credit rating but would also need to be bailed out by the IMF have not, so far, come to pass.

read more here - http://blogs.news.sky.com/cityblog/Post:50c0628b-d8a5-4bde-aa81-47cc36bf4c9c

Who's going to bail out the US?  What cost will the dollar collapse have on our independence?

Is it possible to spend your way out of bankruptcy?

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.