April 19, 2024, 11:15:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homeless woman found shot/killed on church steps 10/12/09 Atlanta, GA  (Read 6552 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: October 17, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »

Church offers reward in homeless woman's death

Associated Press - October 17, 2009 7:04 PM ET

ATLANTA (AP) - The congregation of an Atlanta church is offering a $1,000 reward for information on who killed a homeless woman whose body was found in front of the church.

Jeannette Smith, who was 66, had slept in a tent outside West End Church of Christ for about a year. She was found shot to death Monday.

Church secretary Gayron Johnson described Smith as a "gentle soul" who didn't feel comfortable in shelters because "people were mean to her."

Johnson said church members often tried to help Smith and now want justice in her death.

http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=11332357

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »

Atlanta police are looking for the person who shot and killed an elderly woman found on the front steps of a West End church Monday.

Police would confirm few details, other than the church was on the 1300 block of Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard. The woman is 66-year-old Jeanette Smith, according to the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office. She is homeless.

Police said they are waiting on an autopsy to report on how the woman died.

Another homeless woman found dead on the steps of a church marked the first homicide in East Point in February 2007. Police said the 47-year-old woman died of head injuries.

A parishioner found Renessa Parrott just outside the entrance to the First Baptist Church in the 2800 block of East Point Street right before Sunday morning service. Police said she did not have a place to live and was staying with friends and sleeping wherever she could.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/homeless-woman-found-shot-164511.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »

Friday, Oct. 16, 2009
Homeless woman found dead at Ga. church

ATLANTA -- Police are searching for the person who shot and killed an elderly homeless woman who was found dead on the steps of an Atlanta church.

Atlanta Police told WAGA-TV 66-year-old Jeanette Smith was shot to death early Monday morning at the church in west Atlanta. Investigators say she was shot in the head and the chest.

Members of the church told the news station said they had tried to find a permanent home for the woman but she preferred to live on her own.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/251/story/875728.html#

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 10:25:12 PM »

That's really sad.      I wonder why she was shot?  Robbery?  She probably didn't have much to steal.  Did she receive any monies like from social security or disability?    Maybe some kind of disagreement with someone?   Maybe that's why she wanted to be on her own.  Harder to track her down  I wonder if she was hiding from someone?  Also I read a story of a man that bludgeoned another to death because he was collecting aluminium cans in what another said was his territory.  Something like that could have gotten her killed, it's risky living on the streets.   But it had to be someone with access to a gun and ammunition.  Had she seen something and someone wanted to hush her?  I hope the investigation turns up the person or persons that did this.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 03:53:13 PM »

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/21406276/detail.html
Man Charged In Killing Of Homeless Woman

Posted: 4:53 pm EDT October 23, 2009Updated: 5:32 pm EDT October 23, 2009
ATLANTA -- Police arrested a man in the slaying of a homeless woman found dead in front of a church.

Atlanta police arrested Betrabia Bryant, 25, Friday afternoon.

Police said Bryant confessed to shooting and killing Jeanette Smith, a homeless woman, in front of the West End Church of Christ in southwest Atlanta in early October.

According to investigators, Bryant was in jail in connection with a stolen car when he confessed to Fulton County deputies to Smith’s killing.

Bryant also told police where they could find the murder weapon, officials said.

Bryant was charged with murder. He was transferred to the Fulton County Jail.
Video at link  http://www.wsbtv.com/news/21406276/detail.html

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 03:59:35 PM »

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/Services_for_Homeless_Woman_Shot_Killed_102309
Funeral for Homeless Woman Shot, Killed

Updated: Friday, 23 Oct 2009, 10:02 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 23 Oct 2009, 10:36 AM EDT

Edited by Steve Dixon

ATLANTA - A funeral for a homeless woman shot and killed on the steps of an Atlanta church was held Friday.

Atlanta police said the elderly homeless woman, 66-year-old Jeanette Smith, was shot to death early Monday morning at a church in the West End off Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard.

Members of the church where Smith was found killed said they had tried to find a permanent home for the woman on numerous occasions but she preferred to live on her own.

Investigators said Smith was shot in the head and the chest.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.