April 19, 2024, 09:44:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Congress - Bill Alert and Question Thread  (Read 1584 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: October 18, 2009, 06:56:41 PM »

I was looking at some of the bills introduced in Congress.  I don't understand a lot, but wow all the spending, and for stuff that just doesn't look right.

Here is my first example, I find this stuff on Thomas.gov 

H.R.3619
Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2010 (Reported in House)

SEC. 206. GRANTS TO INTERNATIONAL MARITIME ORGANIZATIONS.

Section 149 of title 14, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(c) Grants to International Maritime Organizations- After consultation with the Secretary of State, the Commandant may make grants to, or enter into cooperative agreements, contracts, or other agreements with, international maritime organizations for the purpose of acquiring information or data about merchant vessel inspections, security, safety, classification, and port state or flag state law enforcement or oversight.'.

Is this an expansion or abuse of power?  Could the US lose it's independence?

'security, safety, classification...enforcement or oversight' look a bit scarey considering the global nature of our times.

SEC. 210. MERCHANT MARINER MEDICAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE.

(a) In General- Chapter 71 of title 46, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

`Sec. 7115. Merchant Mariner Medical Advisory Committee

`(a) Establishment-

`(1) IN GENERAL- There is established a Merchant Mariner Medical Advisory Committee (in this section referred to as the `Committee').

`(2) FUNCTIONS- The Committee shall advise the Secretary on matters relating to--

`(A) medical certification determinations for issuance of merchant mariner credentials;

`(B) medical standards and guidelines for the physical qualifications of operators of commercial vessels;

`(C) medical examiner education; and

`(D) medical research.

`(b) Membership-

`(1) IN GENERAL- The Committee shall consist of 14 members, none of whom is a Federal employee, and shall include--

`(A) ten who are health-care professionals with particular expertise, knowledge, or experience regarding the medical examinations of merchant mariners or occupational medicine; and

`(B) four who are professional mariners with knowledge and experience in mariner occupational requirements.

`(2) STATUS OF MEMBERS- Members of the Committee shall not be considered Federal employees or otherwise in the service or the employment of the Federal Government, except that members shall be considered special Government employees, as defined in section 202(a) of title 18, United States Code, and shall be subject to any administrative standards of conduct applicable to the employees of the department in which the Coast Guard is operating.

`(c) Appointments; Terms; Vacancies-

`(1) APPOINTMENTS- The Secretary shall appoint the members of the Committee, and each member shall serve at the pleasure of the Secretary.

`(2) TERMS- Each member shall be appointed for a term of three years, except that, of the members first appointed, three members shall be appointed for a term of two years and three members shall be appointed for a term of one year.

`(3) VACANCIES- Any member appointed to fill the vacancy prior to the expiration of the term for which that member's predecessor was appointed shall be appointed for the remainder of that term.

`(d) Chairman and Vice Chairman- The Secretary shall designate one member of the Committee as the Chairman and one member as the Vice Chairman. The Vice Chairman shall act as Chairman in the absence or incapacity of, or in the event of a vacancy in the office of, the Chairman.

`(e) Compensation; Reimbursement- Members of the Committee shall serve without compensation, except that, while engaged in the performance of duties away from their homes or regular places of business of the member, the member of the Committee may be allowed travel expenses, including per diem in lieu of subsistence, as authorized by section 5703 of title 5.

`(f) Staff; Services- The Secretary shall furnish to the Committee the personnel and services as are considered necessary for the conduct of its business.'.

(b) First Meeting- No later than six months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Merchant Mariner Medical Advisory Committee established by the amendment made by this section shall hold its first meeting.

(c) Clerical Amendment- The analysis for chapter 71 of that title is amended by adding at the end the following:

`7115. Merchant Mariner Medical Advisory Committee.'.

Why do we need a 'Merchant Mariner Medical Advisory Committee'?    Is this another political plum to be given away to doctors?  No compensation...except...  Another loophole?

How much staff will these folks need?  More jobs for life?

I wonder who does this work today?

With all the new medical boards proposed in the healthcare legislation, why more advisory boards?

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c111:2:./temp/~c111iM5AIa:e27839:

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 10:07:55 AM »

Looks to me it was submitted during the BUSH administration:

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/110_HR_3619.html

H.R. 3619, The Health Care Access Improvement Act

* This item is from the 110th Congress (2007-2008) and is no longer current. Comments, voting, and wiki editing have been disabled, and the cost/savings estimate has been frozen.

H.R. 3619 would amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a tax credit to primary health service providers who establish practices in health professional shortage areas.

* Detailed Summary
    * Status of the Legislation
    * Points in Favor
    * Points Against

Detailed Summary

Health Care Access Improvement Act - Amends the Internal Revenue Code to allow a primary health service provider (i.e., a physician, clinical psychologist, or clinical social worker) a tax credit for the value of professional services provided to individuals in a health professional shortage area.
Status of the Legislation

Latest Major Action: 9/20/2007: Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means.
Points in Favor

(Log in to edit the wiki and be the first to show why the bill should pass!)
Points Against

(Log in to edit the wiki and be the first to show why the bill should not pass!)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 04:52:34 PM »

Looks to me it was submitted during the BUSH administration:

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/110_HR_3619.html

H.R. 3619, The Health Care Access Improvement Act

* This item is from the 110th Congress (2007-2008) and is no longer current. Comments, voting, and wiki editing have been disabled, and the cost/savings estimate has been frozen.

H.R. 3619 would amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide a tax credit to primary health service providers who establish practices in health professional shortage areas.

* Detailed Summary
    * Status of the Legislation
    * Points in Favor
    * Points Against

Detailed Summary

Health Care Access Improvement Act - Amends the Internal Revenue Code to allow a primary health service provider (i.e., a physician, clinical psychologist, or clinical social worker) a tax credit for the value of professional services provided to individuals in a health professional shortage area.
Status of the Legislation

Latest Major Action: 9/20/2007: Referred to House committee. Status: Referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means.
Points in Favor

(Log in to edit the wiki and be the first to show why the bill should pass!)
Points Against

(Log in to edit the wiki and be the first to show why the bill should not pass!)

These bills can be tricky.  The one above was introduced by the 110th Congress, the one I posted was introduced by the 111th Congress.

Different bills, with the same number.

The important reference seems to Congress and Bill Number.  Name is also useful.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.