March 19, 2024, 12:41:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VA Tech Student Morgan Dana Harrington missing since 10/17/09#1 10/19/09-7/1/10  (Read 748532 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1400 on: February 04, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »

"People in the Anchorage Farm area, you know what goes on there, you know the history," said Rader. "You know who comes in and out of the vicinity and you might not realize it but you probably have some information for us that you don't even think is important."  I would sure like to know what that exactly means.
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1401 on: February 04, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »

Police profile location, call for tips in Harrington case

Thursday, February 4, 2010; 5:54 PM

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/14974/police-profile-location-call-for-tips-in-harrington-case

Police are calling for the public to “educate them” on the area where the remains of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington were found.

“You know what goes on there,” Rader said, referring to local residents. “You know the history. You know who goes in and out of the vicinity.”

In a briefing Thursday afternoon with reporters outside of the Virginia State Police Area Office in Charlottesville, Virginia State Police Lt. Joe Rader outlined details of a potential relationship between an assailant and the Anchorage Farm site where Harrington was found.

Rader also announced the creation of a new hotline dedicated to specific information about the Anchorage Farm location.

According to Rader, those responsible for the crime may have had a formal connection to the farm property. He said their past experiences led them to return to the area to leave Harrington’s body.

“The person responsible for this felt it was the most important place to be in this high time of stress, and the reality is that’s where Morgan’s body was found,” Rader said.

Rader added that the decision to leave a body at the location would pose a significant risk to those without prior knowledge of the area, pointing out the property’s difficult terrain that featured fences and streams.

“You could not have just walked in there, without being able to negotiate things you’d be unfamiliar with,” Rader said.

Rader pointed out the challenges of moving a body to its final resting place, which sits a “considerable distance” from any major roadway including Route 29, a highway that borders the property.

“You’d have to be familiar with the layout,” Rader said.

He was confident that residents around the Anchorage Farm area could supply leads for the investigation.

Rader said no arrests had been made in the case, and that no determination had been made on the cause or time of Harrington’s death. Virginia State Police confirmed Wednesday that Harrington’s death was a homicide.

Harrington, a 20-year-old junior education major, went missing Oct. 17, 2009 while attending a Metallica concert at the University of Virginia’s John Paul Jones Arena, about ten miles away from the southern Albemarle County property. She was last seen hitchhiking on the Copeley Road Bridge, less than a half a mile from the arena.

A mass service for Harrington will take place Friday, Feb. 5, at St. Andrews Catholic Church in Roanoke, Va., at 3:30 p.m. A reception at the Hotel Roanoke is scheduled after the service. The service is open to the general public.

Those with information about the Anchorage Farm location are asked to call the new Virginia State Police tip line at (434)709-1685. Individuals with information on the Morgan Harrington case are asked to call (434)352-3467.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1402 on: February 04, 2010, 06:28:39 PM »

Does anyone know if the Bass family has just that one daughter who lives on the property? Do they have other children?
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1403 on: February 04, 2010, 06:32:48 PM »

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=11935901
Police Ask For Help With Harrington Homicide
Posted: Feb 04, 2010 5:01 PM CST Updated: Feb 04, 2010 5:10 PM CST

Virginia State Police called a news conference Wednesday afternoon to plead for help. They want people who know the Albemarle County farm where Morgan Harrington's body was found to call them.

State Police Investigator Lieutenant Joe Rader says where Morgan's body was found is key to solving this case.

The 20-year-old Virginia Tech student vanished in Charlottesville October 17th. Her body was found last Tuesday about 10 miles away off Route 29 south on a distant corner of the 700-acre Anchorage Farm property.

State police say whoever left Morgan's body there had to be familiar with the area and the terrain on that piece of land.

Rader says, "The information that we need is going to come from people who understand the area where this body was located better than we do. So we're asking you basically community, educate us, educate the police.

The location is so critical to investigators that they have now set up a separate tip line for information from people living nearby. That number is 434-709-1685.

That's all state police would say Wednesday. They refused to take questions about the cause of death, suspects, leads, or anything else relating to the Harrington case.

Reported by Sharon Gregory

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1404 on: February 04, 2010, 06:33:38 PM »

"People in the Anchorage Farm area, you know what goes on there, you know the history," said Rader. "You know who comes in and out of the vicinity and you might not realize it but you probably have some information for us that you don't even think is important."  I would sure like to know what that exactly means.

Me too. 

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1405 on: February 04, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/04/virginia.harrington.death/

Police ask residents for information in Virginia Tech student's death
February 4, 2010 6:10 p.m. EST

(CNN) -- The person responsible for a Virginia Tech student's death was familiar with the area where her body was recovered, police said Thursday.

The farmland site where Morgan Harrington's remains were found is the "most significant" aspect of the investigation into her death, Virginia State Police Lt. Joe Rader said.

He asked that members of the surrounding community call police with any details of the area and who has frequented it.

"People in North Garden, people in the Anchorage Farm area, you know what goes on there," Rader said, referring to areas of Virginia's Albemarle County. "You know the history. You know who comes in and out of that vicinity. You may not realize it, but you probably have some information for us that you don't think is important."

Morgan Harrington disappeared October 17, after attending a Metallica concert at the University of Virginia's John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, Virginia. The 20-year-old education major was separated from her friends at the concert.

A farmer discovered her skeletal remains on his 700-acre farm January 26, police said. The farm is about 10 miles from the concert site.

There have been no arrests in the case, police said. The cause of her death is still under investigation.

Investigators think that the farm "did not present an unnecessary risk for the person responsible" and that the person passed through or visited the farm or the nearby area, Rader said.

Traveling to the area where the remains were found "would have created a significant risk for any person not familiar to that area and not comfortable with that type of setting," Rader said.

"Farmland like the place where Morgan's body was located has obstacles, difficult obstacles. It has streams, it has fences, it has defects, it has terrain that changes. That's important, that's a high-risk opportunity to pick that location to take Morgan Harrington unless you're familiar with the area," he said.

"We don't believe those are challenges that someone unfamiliar with the area would confront."

The farmer who found Harrington's remains came across them in a remote section of a hayfield, police said last month. The farm's owner, David Dass, told CNN affiliate WTVR that he was out looking for damage after wind and rain knocked down several trees in his yard when he found "what looked like a human skull." He told WTVR that the area is at least a mile and a half from a main roadway.

Read more about the case from WTVR

"There is no public access to this particular area. The hayfield was last cut in August 2009 and would have been possibly waist-high by mid-October 2009," a January police statement said.

On the October night Harrington went missing, she had left her friends to use the restroom during the concert, police said. When she did not return, her friends called her cell phone at 8:48 p.m. She told them she was outside the arena and could not get back in because of its policy, police said, but she told them not to worry about her and she would find a ride home.

There are restrooms inside the arena, police said, and authorities do not know how or why Harrington got outside. Witnesses who saw her outside the arena said she did not appear to be with anyone, police said.

About 9:30 p.m., witnesses reported seeing a person matching Harrington's description walking on a nearby bridge, police said. No further sightings were reported.

Harrington's purse, with her identification and cell phone inside, was found the following day in an overflow parking lot near the arena, police said. A friend had driven Harrington's car to the concert, she said, and still had the car keys when they became separated.

Police are asking anyone with information on the case to call 434-709-1685.

The family will hold a Mass for Harrington on Friday in Roanoke, Virginia.

"We are grief stricken by her death but also lifted by the knowledge that Morgan Dana Harrington was precious to so many and will not be forgotten," her family wrote Monday on their Web site dedicated to Harrington. "She mattered, to us all."

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1406 on: February 04, 2010, 06:40:20 PM »

Does anyone know if the Bass family has just that one daughter who lives on the property? Do they have other children?

I'm sorry, NoRose.  I don't know.
But didn't I read somewhere that students used to rent the "old" house before the daughter moved in?  And didn't he say something today about even going back 5 years.  I hope I'm remembering that right.  Please correct me.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1407 on: February 04, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »

But didn't I read somewhere that students used to rent the "old" house before the daughter moved in?  And didn't he say something today about even going back 5 years.  I hope I'm remembering that right.  Please correct me.
No I believe you are right, one thing I couldn't figure out is this is historic land, and that old house is way cool, I wouldn't want to rent it out to college students, but that's me  I was just curious if they had other kids, not suggesting that they had anything to do with what happened to Morgan.
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1408 on: February 04, 2010, 06:55:39 PM »

No I believe you are right, one thing I couldn't figure out is this is historic land, and that old house is way cool, I wouldn't want to rent it out to college students, but that's me  I was just curious if they had other kids, not suggesting that they had anything to do with what happened to Morgan.

Thank you.   an angelic monkey  I can't rely on my memory!

ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1409 on: February 04, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »

#   Rader: ' Community, educate us, educate the police.'    2 minutes ago   from txt
# Lt Rader of VSP stresses 'location, location, location' for locals, especially for those in North garden & around Anchorage Farm. 4 minutes ago from txt
http://twitter.com/cvillenews_desk
Lt. Radar

Where she was found is the most significant thing in this case.

Location, location, location. Hoping locals will think about things that happened in that community during the time she was missing
  I'm wondering about this, some kind of place where rituals have been done. I remember reading some comments about Wicca, and I kind of shook my head no. Now I'm wondering...... Strange press conference.

norose- Reading you loud and clear. Not to start some wild rumor, but the thought had previously crossed my mind that this was just prior to Halloween.  That Rader was both careful and specific in stating "activities" (as opposed to the more widely used term "parties"), does seem to imply something quite different than some friends kickin' back a few brewskies or doing some "recreational" drugs.  Makes me wonder what if anything else was found with/near Morgan or in close proximity.  Again, I hesitate to toss this out there because it's highly likely to be blown all out of proportion...you know how it is.   

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1410 on: February 05, 2010, 12:16:22 AM »

We owned a somewhat remote property once.  The neighbors at the time began practicing some religion requiring a (for lack of a better term) sweat lodge-type structure.  This was soon followed by community talk of noise disturbances, rituals, orgies, etc.  I'm concerned specifically by the phrase, "...you know what goes on there, you know the history.".  IMO, if Rader was talking about parties or field parties, why not simply say so?  If he was talking about drug-related parties, why not say so? Exactly what kind of history/reputation does this farm, the fields, this particular field, or the surrounding woods have with locals? Any Charlottesville VA or nearby community locals on here?  ITA with Rader, somebody in the surrounding neighborhoods, on neighboring farms, definitely knows what goes on there and it's history.  Farmers talk, hunters talk...particularly if they're coming across odd things on their land.  Kids talk.  Just saying.

Also thinking this week that somebody definitely knows this perp.  People in that area need to stop a minute and carefully "weigh" about all the people they know.

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1411 on: February 05, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »

http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/news/state_regional/article/police_harringtons_killer_familiar_with_rural_albemarle/51781/
Police: Harrington’s killer familiar with rural Albemarle
By Ted Strong MEDIA GENERAL NEWS SERVICE
Published: February 5, 2010
The spot where Morgan D. Harrington’s body was found is one of investigators’ biggest clues about her death, police confirmed Thursday.

“I think … the person is familiar with the area,” said Virginia State Police Lt. Joe Rader at a news conference. “I don’t know if the person lives in the area. Nobody knows that right now.”

Rader made the statements in the hope that they’d prompt locals from the North Garden-Red Hill area to call a special tip line police have set up for information about the area.

Harrington’s remains were found Jan. 26 in a cow pasture west of U.S. 29, about 5.5 miles south of Interstate 64. The Virginia Tech student disappeared Oct. 17, after leaving a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena at the University of Virginia. She was last reportedly seen on the Copeley Road railroad bridge at about 9:30 that night, hitchhiking. Police and hundreds of volunteers searched for her, but with no luck. A farmer was checking a fence line when he found her skeletal remains.

“[That pasture] is the most significant part of the investigation,” Rader said.

He added later, “Location, location, location is very important. It’s important to the police, but it needs to be important to those in the community.”

The farmer who found the remains, Dave Bass, has said that the pasture is at the very back of his property, and anyone hoping to access it through his property would have to drive past two houses, risking discovery. The terrain is difficult to cover on foot, Rader said. It’s also accessible through Blandemar Farm Estates, a development of large homes widely interspersed on sizable lots.

Rader said that investigators and profilers believe that the location indicates the person had been there before and was comfortable crossing uneven terrain studded with a creek and barbed wire fences.
Traveling to [the site] would have created a significant risk to any person not familiar with that area and not comfortable with that [rural, rugged] setting,” Rader said.

Bass has also said anyone sneaking onto the farm, particularly through the front gate, would be risking, but not guaranteeing, detection.

Rader’s statements echo information from two criminal profilers interviewed last week by The Daily Progress.

“The killer or killers were either very lucky or very comfortable with the area,” former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt said then.

Rader said police suspect the body was dumped there the night of the concert, so police are particularly interested in activity in the area on or before that evening. People should think about goings on along U.S. 29, Route 708, Red Hill Road, the farm itself and the Blandemar subdivision behind it, Rader said.

He also said the person could have been on the farm for any number of reasons, including work or recreation, and felt comfortable enough with it to return during what was probably a high-stress situation — disposing of a body. In fact, the person went through a region with many potential dumpsites that are more accessible, he said.

Bass, the farmer, has said his farm doesn’t have a big trespassing problem, though there’s some spotlighting of deer that goes on illegally. There are also a handful of hunters who enter the farm legally, he’s said.

It’s likely someone in the area knows the person, Rader said. Local people know what goes on in the area, who comes and goes, what has happened out of the ordinary and what the history of the spot is, he said.

“The information that we need is going to come from people that know this area where the body was found better than we do,” he said.
Police want information from people who are familiar with the area, whether or not they still live there, Rader said. They’d also like decades-old history about the spot.

People shouldn’t be shy about reporting their suspicions, Rader said.

Anyone with any information or history about the area should call 709-1685. Police are still looking for general tips at 352-3467.

“We will solve this,” Rader said.

Harrington’s funeral is scheduled for today in Roanoke.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1412 on: February 05, 2010, 07:25:17 AM »

http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2010/02/04/stressing-location-in-harrington-case-police-stress-terrain/
  Stressing location: Police want terrain tips in Harrington case
by Hawes Spencer
published 5:19pm Thursday Feb 4, 2010
Bookmark and Share letter Write a letter to the editor

The Virginia State Police issued a new call to tipsters for information about people who know people who live, work, play, etc. in and around Anchorage Farm, the place where the body of 20-year-old Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington was found three months after disappearing from a Metallica concert in Charlottesville.

The Police press release stresses that only someone intimately familiar with that area would have taken the woman— living or dead— to that remote and rugged location about 10 miles south of Charlottesville. The Police have also set up a special tip line just for information related to the Anchorage Farm property: 434-709-1685.
From VSP
http://www.readthehook.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/police-want-to-know-who-knows-anchorage-farm-area.pdf

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1413 on: February 05, 2010, 07:33:33 AM »

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/crime/article/police_harringtons_killer_familiar_with_rural_albemarle/51890/
Police: Harrington’s killer familiar with rural Albemarle
ANDREW SHURTLEFF — THE DAILY PROGRESS

Virginia State Police Lt. Joe Rader says that investigators believe that the Albemarle County location where Morgan D. Harrington was found indicates her killer had been there before and was comfortable crossing uneven terrain studded with a creek and barbed wire fences.
By Ted Strong
Published: February 4, 2010
Updated: February 4, 2010
The spot where Morgan D. Harrington’s body was found is one of investigators’ biggest clues about her death, police confirmed Thursday.

“I think … the person is familiar with the area,” said Virginia State Police Lt. Joe Rader at a news conference. “I don’t know if the person lives in the area. Nobody knows that right now.”

Rader made the statements in the hope that they’d prompt locals from the North Garden-Red Hill area to call a special tip line police have set up for information about the area.

Harrington’s remains were found Jan. 26 in a cow pasture west of U.S. 29, about 5.5 miles south of Interstate 64. The Virginia Tech student disappeared Oct. 17, after leaving a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena at the University of Virginia. She was last reportedly seen on the Copeley Road railroad bridge at about 9:30 that night, hitchhiking. Police and hundreds of volunteers searched for her, but with no luck. A farmer was checking a fence line when he found her skeletal remains.

“[That pasture] is the most significant part of the investigation,” Rader said.

He added later, “Location, location, location is very important. It’s important to the police, but it needs to be important to those in the community.”
The farmer who found the remains, Dave Bass, has said that the pasture is at the very back of his property, and anyone hoping to access it through his property would have to drive past two houses, risking discovery. The terrain is difficult to cover on foot, Rader said. It’s also accessible through Blandemar Farm Estates, a development of large homes widely interspersed on sizable lots.

Rader said that investigators and profilers believe that the location indicates the person had been there before and was comfortable crossing uneven terrain studded with a creek and barbed wire fences.

“Traveling to [the site] would have created a significant risk to any person not familiar with that area and not comfortable with that [rural, rugged] setting,” Rader said.

Bass has also said anyone sneaking onto the farm, particularly through the front gate, would be risking, but not guaranteeing, detection.

Rader’s statements echo information from two criminal profilers interviewed last week by The Daily Progress.

“The killer or killers were either very lucky or very comfortable with the area,” former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt said then.

Rader said police suspect the body was dumped there the night of the concert, so police are particularly interested in activity in the area on or before that evening. People should think about goings on along U.S. 29, Route 708, Red Hill Road, the farm itself and the Blandemar subdivision behind it, Rader said.

He also said the person could have been on the farm for any number of reasons, including work or recreation, and felt comfortable enough with it to return during what was probably a high-stress situation — disposing of a body. In fact, the person went through a region with many potential dumpsites that are more accessible, he said.
Bass, the farmer, has said his farm doesn’t have a big trespassing problem, though there’s some spotlighting of deer that goes on illegally. There are also a handful of hunters who enter the farm legally, he’s said.

It’s likely someone in the area knows the person, Rader said. Local people know what goes on in the area, who comes and goes, what has happened out of the ordinary and what the history of the spot is, he said.

“The information that we need is going to come from people that know this area where the body was found better than we do,” he said.

Police want information from people who are familiar with the area, whether or not they still live there, Rader said. They’d also like decades-old history about the spot.

People shouldn’t be shy about reporting their suspicions, Rader said.

Anyone with any information or history about the area should call 709-1685. Police are still looking for general tips at 352-3467.

“We will solve this,” Rader said.

Harrington’s funeral is scheduled for today in Roanoke.

~ Peter Frampton
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1414 on: February 05, 2010, 09:46:18 AM »

#   Rader: ' Community, educate us, educate the police.'    2 minutes ago   from txt
# Lt Rader of VSP stresses 'location, location, location' for locals, especially for those in North garden & around Anchorage Farm. 4 minutes ago from txt
http://twitter.com/cvillenews_desk
Lt. Radar

Where she was found is the most significant thing in this case.

Location, location, location. Hoping locals will think about things that happened in that community during the time she was missing
  I'm wondering about this, some kind of place where rituals have been done. I remember reading some comments about Wicca, and I kind of shook my head no. Now I'm wondering...... Strange press conference.

norose- Reading you loud and clear. Not to start some wild rumor, but the thought had previously crossed my mind that this was just prior to Halloween.  That Rader was both careful and specific in stating "activities" (as opposed to the more widely used term "parties"), does seem to imply something quite different than some friends kickin' back a few brewskies or doing some "recreational" drugs.  Makes me wonder what if anything else was found with/near Morgan or in close proximity.  Again, I hesitate to toss this out there because it's highly likely to be blown all out of proportion...you know how it is.   
I know what you mean. But the way Rader said what he said, made me wonder what activities, if they are parties just say parties. 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1415 on: February 05, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »

Thanks Trimm    “[That pasture] is the most significant part of the investigation,” Rader said.  I've been thinking about this since yesterday, there are a couple ideas in my head, and I don't like either one of them 
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1416 on: February 05, 2010, 09:54:20 AM »

Thanks Trimm    “[That pasture] is the most significant part of the investigation,” Rader said.  I've been thinking about this since yesterday, there are a couple ideas in my head, and I don't like either one of them 

I know.I read all evening and have been this morning.All kinds of thought go through your mind. 

~ Peter Frampton
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

Good grief! It's Charlie Brown.

« Reply #1417 on: February 05, 2010, 10:46:16 AM »

Anyone have a link to a video of the full press conference? I want to see it in its entirety. TIA

Prayers for Morgan and her family on this day.  an angelic monkey

I remember you, Caylee.
goodnmad
Monkey All Star Jr.

Good grief! It's Charlie Brown.

« Reply #1418 on: February 05, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »

Over at BOC, she confirmed the Mr. and Mrs. Bass were not home the weekend of Oct. 17. So I believe someone KNEW they would not be home ...

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/02/04/morgan-harrington-murder-virginia-state-police-press-conference-today/#comments

roageo says:
February 5, 2010 at 2:31 am

Snipped

I Can confirm the Bass’s were out of town the weekend of Oct. 17th.
B

I remember you, Caylee.
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1419 on: February 05, 2010, 10:51:30 AM »

Anyone have a link to a video of the full press conference? I want to see it in its entirety. TIA

Prayers for Morgan and her family on this day.  an angelic monkey

Try this one:

http://www.nbc29.com/global/Category.asp?C=175568&clipId=4516874&autostart=true

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.