March 19, 2024, 05:34:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VA Tech Student Morgan Dana Harrington missing since 10/17/09#1 10/19/09-7/1/10  (Read 748585 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1720 on: April 14, 2010, 08:46:05 AM »

http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog
Dan Harrington’s talk to the Charlottesville Take Back the Night rally
  On April - 14 - 2010ADD COMMENTS

Thank you for inviting me to the rally and giving me the opportunity to speak with you. Gil is sorry she cannot be here but she is helping the children of Zambia with a medical mission. She feels that since she could not save her daughter that she can save someone’s child.

I am here to support the TBTN and stress the need for societal change in the respect for woman and men, that society must stop seeing women as prey.  I never would have thought that I would have had to deal with the death of my precious daughter, Morgan Dana Harrington.  Morgan, a junior at Virginia Tech, was murdered on October 17, 2009 here in Charlottesville by someone who likely sexually assaulted her, then killed her and left her body in a pasture on Anchorage Farm, just south of here.  Morgan’s death has catapulted us to places that we would never have thought we would go, being here tonight is now an opportunity that I would not have thought of before, we have been see many times on national media, we have been in the Halls of Congress, we have spent too many hours with LE, we have been to restaurants and rock concerts raising money for Morgan and we have cried as we held our daughter’s skeleton.
Morgan was at JPJ to attend the Metallica concert.  For unknown reasons, Morgan left the arena and was not allowed to reenter.  That was only one of a series of errors that ultimately led to her disappearance and ultimate death.  That day of the concert  Morgan and her Mother shared their last time together.  Morgan was a modest dresser, she and Gil picked out a loose tee shirt with Pantera printed on the front, a black mini skirt, back leggings and black boots.  She was totally covered up except for her beautiful face.

On the days after that tragic night, it was reported by media and by some police that Morgan was dressed provocatively, implying that Morgan tempted someone to assault and kill her.  The only thing Morgan did that night was to have her beautiful face showing and she made herself vulnerable.  She did not cause her murder, a coward who could control and lord over Morgan caused her death. It is time to stop blaming the victim!

Even over the past week, Gil and I have been assaulted by the Westboro Baptist Church who published a degrading poster implying Morgan deserved to die.  This so call church, has launched  a post mortem attack on my dead daughter and will be at Virginia Tech tomorrow to protest and advertise that Morgan deserved to die. It is time to stop blaming the victim!

Who would have ever thought Gil and I would have had to deal with the death of our child.  Our experience has given us a new appreciation for the preciousness of life.  Morgan will never graduate, have a career, marry, have a child and grow old. Morgan’s killer, who had no respect for her, walks among you in Charlottesville each day doing all the things he took away from Morgan.
We are her to work for the day that women and men respect one another, that women can be safe, and can stop feeling afraid.  We pray for the day that a young girl does not have to be at risk, is not blamed when they are the victim, and does not become a statistic.   We pray for the day when fear is not one of our nation’s operating principles.

We need to support women men who are afraid to ask for help, afraid to press changes, and who are made to feel as if they are the problem.  We need to support women and men who are assaulted so they will seek prosecution of the perpetrators.  We need to not have organizations sweep these assaults under the rug and pretend it doesn’t happen here.

Gil and I are determined that Morgan’s life be remembered and that her death not be in vain.  We appreciate your invitation to help you Take Back the Night.

2 4 1

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1721 on: April 15, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »

Police Confirm Found Shirt Is Harrington's
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 2:11 PM EDT

Recently completed testing by the Virginia Department of Forensic Science confirmed that a black T-shirt discovered Nov. 11, 2009, in the city of Charlottesville is the one Harrington was last seen wearing the night of the concert. The T-shirt, with the word "Pantera" spelled out in tan letters across the front, was discovered by a Charlottesville resident on Nov. 11, 2009, and turned over to investigators. The T-shirt was found on 15th Street near the intersection of Grady Avenue.

In addition, the team of investigators from the University of Virginia Police, Albemarle County Police, Charlottesville Police, Virginia State Police and the FBI assigned to the case has made substantial progress in evaluating countless possibilities and scenarios related to the circumstances surrounding Harrington's disappearance and death.

"We are still encouraging the public to come forward with relevant information concerning Morgan Harrington," said Lt. Joe Rader, Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation Appomattox Field Office. "As this investigation continues to progress, factual details are more helpful and important to investigators than theoretical abstracts. It's going to take that one courageous phone call to Crime Stoppers from someone who knows something firsthand about this case that will be the key to linking together the evidence and data collected to date."

Anyone with information is asked to call the Jefferson Area Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000. A reward of $150,041 is still available for anyone with information that leads to a resolution of this crime. Calls can also be made to local police or the Virginia State Police Tip Line at (434) 352-3467 or emailed to the State Police at bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov. Anonymous tips are welcome.

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=12318361

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1722 on: April 15, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »

Thanks Nut
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1723 on: April 15, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »

Thanks Nut

Yes,thanks Nut.
NRCG,you remember there was a lot of back and forth about that shirt.   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1724 on: April 15, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/15387/more-evidence-released-in-morgan-harrington-case
More evidence released in Morgan Harrington case
Thursday, April 15, 2010; 6:16 PM | 1 | ShareThis | Print
by Liana Bayne, news reporter
As Virginia State Police continue to investigate the death of former Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington, more evidence continues to surface.

Information about the clothing Harrington wore the night of her disappearance on Oct. 17 was confirmed today for the first time. It had been reported that she was wearing a black t-shirt with the band name “Pantera” written on it in tan lettering.

A Charlottesville resident found that shirt on Nov. 11 near the intersection of 15th Street and Grady Avenue, about 11 miles from the farm where Harrington’s body was found on Jan. 26, and about 10 miles from the John Paul Jones Arena — the last place she was seen before her disappearance.

State police have pursued almost 1,000 leads in Harrington’s case so far and are still encouraging people to call their tip line at (434) 977-4000. A $150,000 reward is available for information leading to Harrington’s murderer.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1725 on: April 15, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »

Justice  for Morgan.   an angelic monkey

~ Peter Frampton
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1726 on: April 15, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/stories/15387/more-evidence-released-in-morgan-harrington-case
More evidence released in Morgan Harrington case
Thursday, April 15, 2010; 6:16 PM | 1 | ShareThis | Print
by Liana Bayne, news reporter
As Virginia State Police continue to investigate the death of former Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington, more evidence continues to surface.

Information about the clothing Harrington wore the night of her disappearance on Oct. 17 was confirmed today for the first time. It had been reported that she was wearing a black t-shirt with the band name “Pantera” written on it in tan lettering.

A Charlottesville resident found that shirt on Nov. 11 near the intersection of 15th Street and Grady Avenue, about 11 miles from the farm where Harrington’s body was found on Jan. 26, and about 10 miles from the John Paul Jones Arena — the last place she was seen before her disappearance.
State police have pursued almost 1,000 leads in Harrington’s case so far and are still encouraging people to call their tip line at (434) 977-4000. A $150,000 reward is available for information leading to Harrington’s murderer.

So what do you think ?
10-17-09  Missing..
11-11-09  Shirt Found 15th and Grady ave...
1-26-10  Body/Bones found in creek bed with Bones Crushed..

Shirt was off for a reason..
Bones crushed for a reason..

My first thought on confirmed data .. She was raped in a vehicle and afterwords they ran her over with the vehicle and transported body to location known to perpetrators.
More then one person involved.

What about the reports of her at the Motels ??  Raped at that location and after she tried to walk home they hunted her down and ran her over ?

Confirmed data makes me consider the possible.. I am not settled on anything yet.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1727 on: April 15, 2010, 10:11:42 PM »

Also witness who believes she sees Morgan walk out of dorm area ..
The same area she is seen walking into with ball players ??

Already been raped ??

Tries to walk home ? She is then seen hitchiking ? One or more of the same guys pick her up and rape her again, she makes threats, they throw cloth's out window of vehicle? kick her to death in a vacant lot with multiple people attacking her, breaking bones and leave her in an area known to one or more of them ?
Do any of the ball players live in that area or know that ranch well ?
Any ball players stay at motels ?

I do believe some of the witness accounts for her are accurate.

That shirt at that location speaks volumes towards violence to Morgan in my humble opinion.

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1728 on: April 16, 2010, 10:05:01 AM »

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/90958329.html
Updated: 9:47 AM Apr 16, 2010
T-Shirt Found on 15th Street Belonged to Morgan Harrington
Forensic analysts recently confirmed that a black "Pantera" T-shirt found on 15th Street in Charlottesville, nearly a month after Harrington's disappearance from the John Paul Jones Arena, belonged to the Virginia Tech student.
Posted: 2:24 PM Apr 15, 2010
Reporter: Bianca Spinosa
April 15, 2010

New questions Thursday after an article of clothing belonging to murdered Virginia Tech student, Morgan Harrington is discovered miles from where she was last seen alive.

A major revelation in the case: the distinctive black Pantera t-shirt Morgan Harrington was wearing the night she vanished on October 17th has been found, and it was found in Charlottesville just weeks after she disappeared, around the time of the community-wide search.

Morgan Harrington's DNA was on the Pantera shirt a Charlottesville resident found right outside an apartment complex on the corner of 15th Street and Grady Avenue, according to police. Mainly students live in the apartments and houses on 15th Street.

The person who found the shirt reported it to police on November 11th, but it's only now that police can comment about it.

Corinne Geller with the Virginia State Police says the finding is a major step forward for finding justice.

"It's very helpful to investigators as they move forward. As to how that determination was made, and the specifics of the shirt, unfortunately we can't really get into those details since it is an active criminal investigation," says the VSP spokesperson. Geller could not comment on whether anyone else's DNA was also on the shirt.

Harrington's remains were found on Anchorage Farm in southern Albemarle County about three months ago in late January. Dan and Gil Harrington pay frequent visits to Copeley Road Bridge to remind people that they believe their daughter's killer is local.

In the six months since the disappearance of Morgan Harrington, Virginia State Police have pursued close to 1,000 leads and interviewed more than 100 individuals with the assistance of local investigators as part of the ongoing investigation
n the six months since the disappearance of Morgan Harrington, Virginia State Police have pursued close to 1,000 leads and interviewed more than 100 individuals with the assistance of local investigators as part of the ongoing investigation.

Forensic testing has recently confirmed an article of clothing as belonging to the 20-year-old Roanoke woman.

Harrington disappeared the night of Oct. 17, 2009, during a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena. During the course of the investigation, police have been able to establish a timeline of Harrington’s movements once she ended up outside of the arena at approximately 8:30 p.m.

After talking to her friends on her cell phone, she then walked through the parking lot of University Hall and was also seen in the Lannigan Athletic Field parking lot, which is also used for RV parking. At around 9:30 p.m., she was last seen walking on the Copeley Road bridge near Ivy Road, hitchhiking for a ride.

An Albemarle County landowner discovered Harrington’s body in a field on his 700-acre farm on the morning of Jan. 26, 2010. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled the manner of death as a homicide. The cause and time of death remain under investigation.

Recently completed testing by the Virginia Department of Forensic Science confirmed that a black T-shirt discovered Nov. 11, 2009, in the city of Charlottesville is the one Harrington was last seen wearing the night of the concert. The T-shirt, with the word “Pantera” spelled out in tan letters across the front, was discovered by a Charlottesville resident and turned over to investigators. The T-shirt was found on 15th Street near the intersection of Grady Avenue.

In addition, the team of investigators from the University of Virginia Police, Albemarle County Police, Charlottesville Police, Virginia State Police and the FBI assigned to the case has made substantial progress in evaluating countless possibilities and scenarios related to the circumstances surrounding Harrington’s disappearance and death.

“We are still encouraging the public to come forward with relevant information concerning Morgan Harrington,” said Lt. Joe Rader of the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation, Appomattox Field Office. “As this investigation continues to progress, factual details are more helpful and important to investigators than theoretical abstracts. It’s going to take that one courageous phone call to Crime Stoppers from someone who knows something firsthand about this case that will be the key to linking together the evidence and data collected to date.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the Jefferson Area Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000. A reward of $150,041 is still available for anyone with information that leads to a resolution of this crime.

Here is a map with areas shaded in blue that Morgan may have passed through the night of her disappearance. The four points of interest are:
1) John Paul Jones Arena
2) Copeley Road
3) Intersection of Copeley Road and Ivy Road
4) Intersection of 15th Street and Grady Avenue

Map at link.

~ Peter Frampton
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1729 on: April 16, 2010, 10:28:10 AM »

Thank you for the update, trimm.  I've been wondering about the shirt that was reported and now we know it was Morgan's.  Hoping justice for Morgan is just around the corner .

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1730 on: April 16, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »

Quote:
After talking to her friends on her cell phone, she then walked through the parking lot of University Hall and was also seen in the Lannigan Athletic Field parking lot, which is also used for RV parking. At around 9:30 p.m., she was last seen walking on the Copeley Road bridge near Ivy Road, hitchhiking for a ride.
end

Where is walking with the ball players ?
Where is the man she kicked ?
What she threw her cell phone battery in the garbage of the parking lot and then headed over to hitchhike home with no ability to communicate ?
GMAB

I am going to go build something so I do not sit here and get irritated.
That Timeline stinks.
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1731 on: April 16, 2010, 12:41:11 PM »

I have not forgotten you Morgan...I have wanted to send a rock to the bridge, but it still keeps snowing here...

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1732 on: April 16, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »

Wow..TY TRIMM.  Now we know the t shirt was in fact Morgan's.  Did someone purposely plant it there ?   For some reason I thin it was planted to throw off LE as to her real location that night and her disposal at the farm.

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1733 on: April 17, 2010, 07:40:33 AM »

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/90958329.html

Could one of our Map Wizard Monkeys add the spot where Morgan's remains were found to the map in the above link and post it here as # 5 ? Please?

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1734 on: April 17, 2010, 09:10:38 AM »

Nut,I am not a map genius either.This is all I have.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=utf-8&client=firefox&ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111503163441550110831.0004844c544c426bdda7e&z=12

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1735 on: April 18, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »

http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/six_months_since_morgan_harrington_disappeared/94170/
Six months since Morgan Harrington disappeared
WSLS News Staff
news@wsls.com
Published: April 17, 2010
It’s been six months since Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington disappeared from a Metallica concert in Charlottesville.
    Still no arrests have been made, but on Thursday, police made a link in the case.
    Forensic testing confirms the black t-shirt found in Charlottesville in November did in fact belong to Harrington.
    She was last seen wearing the shirt when she disappeared October 17th outside the John Paul Jones Arena.
    Her body was found on an Albemarle County farm three months later.
    If you have any information about the case,  call the Virginia State Police Tip Line.
    That number is 434-352-3467.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1736 on: April 18, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »

http://findmorgan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3206
Administrator
 Dan Harrington's Mini Press Conference
Pippi, asked if I would answer some questions. I have posted the questions and answers below:

1. I asked earlier and you said no pictures or video of Morgan or her three friends in JPJ Arena. Do you believe they were ever there? Did other witness that knew them see them there?

To the best of my knowledge there are no pictures or video of Morgan in or out of the building.

2. With no pictures and no video is the only confirmation Morgan attended the concert the word of her friends?

I have no reason to believe that Morgan skipped the concert; she had been looking forward to it for months. Her presence has been reported by eyewitnesses (per description) that Morgan was present in the parking lot before the concert, in JPJ, and in the parking lots after she left the building.

3. Are there any photos taken of Morgan after she left your home on the afternoon of Oct. 17?

None that have come to light.

4. When you called Amy Oct. 18 what was her reaction?

I did not initially speak to Amy, I spoke (as I recall) to Sarah, I was upset and scared, and I knew Morgan something terrible had happened to her. I spoke to Amy when she brought Morgan’s car back on the evening of October 18. I do not recall the conversation; I was in a state of shock.

5. Was Morgan’s car every processed by LE? If not why?

Morgan’s car was searched by police.

6. Was Morgan ever stalked or followed or afraid?

Not that I am aware.

7. Why did Morgan feel the need to deadbolt her bedroom door at Blacksburg?

During times she and Amy had friends over or parties, friends/visitors would be in and out of her bedroom. She wanted her privacy and did not want people coming into her room when she was not there. She was quite organized and had fairly nice jewelry.

8. Where did the girls go before the concert?
Morgan and Amy went to JMU to Sarah’s house. I do not know what they did in Harrisonburg. I do not believe they went anywhere else in Charlottesville.

9. Did Morgan know the BB players previous to Oct. 17?

Not to my knowledge.

10. Has Morgan’s necklace ever been found?

That is part of the investigation.

11. What articles were found with Morgan?

The chunky silver bracelet that Gil gave to her was give back to us. The rest of the information is part of the investigation.

12. Was Morgan shot as Gil hinted at?

The details and cause of death are part of the investigation.

13. Did Morgan or the Harrington Family have any ties to AF?

No, despite Gil’s maiden name being White, she had no connection to AF.

14. Did Morgan ever attend parties or have friends living at North Garden?

Morgan had visited her brother when he was in school; she occasionally went to concerts in Charlottesville. To my knowledge she had never been there.

15. Was Mr. Bass home the day and night of Oct. 17? The day and night of Oct. 18?

I am told no, but I have no confirmation of that.
16. Do you believe AF holds the key to Morgan’s murder?
I believe it is part of the puzzle. One would have had prior knowledge of AF for her body to be were it was found.

17. Why was the sighting of Morgan by Mrs. Parsons the newspaper lady discounted?

I do not think it was, I still believe it is a possibility, I do not think it is a closed deal.

18. Are there any sightings of Morgan after 10:00 pm October 17?

Not to my knowledge, unless she was on the lawn.

19. Why were the friends that went to the concert not concerned when Morgan did not arrive to drive home with them?

I think they were concerned, but I think they thought she got a ride.

20. Did her friends think she was safe with whomever she told them she was with?

I do not believe she told them she was with anyone.

21. Do you believe there is any connection between Morgan and Cassandra’s’ murder?

I do not rule that out.

22. Do you think AF has anything to do with Morgan’s’ murder other than her being found there?

It has something to do with her murder, if only that it is well known to the killer(s). It is not just a random place to put her. I believe she was placed there with thoughts she would never be found. The shirt now being acknowledged as being her is significant and it was found in a mixed neighborhood (students/frats/drug users/ poor)

23. Are there any questions you would like to add to this list before I topic it?

No

~ Peter Frampton
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1737 on: April 19, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »

They are aware of and touching on the true criminals in this case.
UVA will keep this unsolved if they can, as the death of one girl is far less important then who they seek to protect.
I do believe the silence is more about the BB players then anything.
ALL Witness will be brushed off as non truth's over time.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1738 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:14 AM »

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0410/727294.html
Harrington's Mother to Speak at Take Back the Night Rally
posted 04/19/10 3:52 pm   producer: Malachi Constant
ROANOKE, Va. - The mother of slain Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington will speak at a Take Back the Night rally in Roanoke.

Gil Harrington will speak at The Jefferson College of Health Sciences' Take Back the Night rally  on Tuesday night. Morgan's father Dan spoke at the Take Back the Night rally in Charlottesville earlier in April.

Take Back the Night is an international movement hosted by many colleges to raise awareness of violence against women and promote positive change. People are allowed to speak about their personal experiences and there is a candlelight vigil to honor victims of sexual violence.  This is the first Take Back the Night for Jefferson College of Health Sciences.

Morgan Harrington disappeared outside a Metallica concert in Charlottesville on October 17, 2009. Her body was found in January on a farm in southern Albemarle County. In April, forensic testing concluded a black Pantera t-shirt found on a bush outside an apartment builing in Charlottesville belonged to Harrington is the one she was reportedly wearing when she disappeared.
Her killer or killers have not been found.

The event will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Fralin House, 903 South Jefferson Street, Roanoke, Virginia.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1739 on: April 20, 2010, 09:09:48 AM »

http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-fams-reach-out-to-governor,0,6940222.story
Relatives of murder victims from across Virginia look to Colonial Parkway families

WTKR-TV
Norfolk, Va. - Parents of murder victims across Virginia are reaching out to the Colonial Parkway families for help.

Although they may be strangers, they are banding together and urging the governor to take action.

"Apparently you can kill someone in Virginia and get away with it," said Bill Thomas, whose sister was murdered by the Colonial Parkway killer.

Bill Thomas never set out to be the go-to person for parents of murdered children.

For more than two decades, he's dealt with his own turmoil. In 1986, his sister Cathleen was taken by the Colonial Parkway killer.

After NewsChannel 3 got the FBI and State Police to re-open the eight serial murders last year, Thomas organized the families to demand more answers, to keep the pressure on investigators.

He's gotten results. Others noticed.

Over the past few months, parents who lost children to headline-making murders far from The Parkway have contacted him. They're frustrated with the dead-ends in their cases, and the inability of police to solve them. Worse, they can't help but worry some of their cases could be related. And to them, that might mean a serial killer is hunting in rural Virginia.

"I think it is time for the Commonwealth of Virginia to own up the fact that it has problem with unsolved murders," Thomas said.

He's heard from the parents of Alicia Showalter Reynolds. She disappeared from Rt. 29 in 1996. Her body was found in Culpeper County. And from the fathers of Julianne Williams and Lollie Winans, slain together that same year in the Shenandoah National Park. And from relatives of Heidi Childs and David Metzler, shot to death at a campground in Montgomery County. And most recently, from the parents of Morgan Harrington who disappeared last year from a rock concert at the University of Virginia. Her body was found in January.

Add to that tally the eight unsolved killings called The Colonial Parkway murders and to Thomas the toll is staggering.

"To say that these families, all of us, are unhappy with the state of affairs with law-enforcement of Virginia, would be the understatement not just of this decade, but the last two decades my family has been waiting. These families are desperately unhappy."

No one knows for certain if these murders are connected, but they do share one glaring element. The killers have eluded police.

"There are a lot of unsolved crimes in the last 15 years in Virginia. And to me, it is remains frightening that those things remain unsolved."

Thomas wants the governor to build a task force. But, Thomas says, when he asked directly, he was rebuffed.

"I wrote to Bob McDonnell and I expected an answer and didn't get one. I'll be very frank, I am not happy about it," Thomas said.
Instead, Thomas got an answer from the state police. They said no. But the Colonial Parkway families aren't giving up on their cases, or the others.

At a recent fundraiser for the Colonial Parkway Murders, the relatives pledged to help these other Virginia families as well. The money they gathered is supposed to boost the Colonial Parkway reward, or pay for private investigators. But they'll offer it up to solve any of these cases. Because the Parkway families know, perhaps more than anyone else, how painful it is to never know the truth.

"If I need to fly to Virginia and get that group of murder victims' families together to go in to meet with the governor to get something done, then that's what we will do," Thomas added.

~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.