March 18, 2024, 10:18:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VA Tech Student Morgan Dana Harrington missing since 10/17/09#1 10/19/09-7/1/10  (Read 748499 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #560 on: November 13, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2009/11/13/Police-Missing-student-seen-hitchhiking/UPI-83071258158894/
Police: Missing student seen hitchhiking
Published: Nov. 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va., Nov. 13 (UPI) -- A Virginia Tech student who disappeared during a Metallica concert in Charlottesville was hitchhiking that night, police said Friday.

In a news release, police also said Morgan Harrington, 20, might have borrowed a cell phone to make a call, The Roanoke Times reported. Investigators asked anyone who had let a young woman matching the missing student's description use a phone to come forward.

Harrington went to the concert Oct. 17 in Charlottesville with friends. But she left her seat to use the bathroom and then phoned to say she had left the arena without a ticket stub and was not being allowed back inside.

State Police said witnesses had seen a young woman trying to find a ride near a Charlottesville bridge.

"Anyone who might remember seeing a vehicle randomly stopped in the roadway on Copeley Road bridge that night is also asked to contact investigators," a police release said.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #561 on: November 13, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »

i'm having a hard time getting past the fact that her purse was found in the general area that the bball players allegedly last saw her
Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #562 on: November 13, 2009, 08:39:34 PM »

TY for the links Trimm.  UVA seems to have very low crime stats.  VATECH , even discounting the mass shootings there..has much higher crime stats.  Interesting.

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #563 on: November 13, 2009, 09:22:40 PM »

She was seen going back and forth bridge to RV lot, waiting for a ride and she was seen borrowing a phone to call for a ride.       Just saw this on WS by a poster, who has been posting a long time, and also has been following this case from the start. Wonder if there is any truth to this?

i would be inclined to believe there was some truth to this
Yes, but I just can't understand why when she had her own car there and all she had to do is call/text her friend for the keys, unless of course she was going to meet someone and they were going to pick her up all along, this had been planned, and something went terribly wrong? 

I  am with you NRCG why not meet Morgan at the same exit she went out to give her the keys so she could at least wait on her friends in the luxury of a warm, safe , automobile I just don't understand why the friends did not suggest this if Morgan was by  '"chance" a little tipsy and was not thinking straight.

mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #564 on: November 13, 2009, 10:16:21 PM »

i'm having a hard time getting past the fact that her purse was found in the general area that the bball players allegedly last saw her

HMMmmmm, yes.  At least those are 2 for sure facts. The location of purse and where the players parked, that's about the first time 2 things were verified at the same time/place since this began!
sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #565 on: November 13, 2009, 10:53:25 PM »

HMMmmmm, yes.  At least those are 2 for sure facts. The location of purse and where the players parked, that's about the first time 2 things were verified at the same time/place since this began!

exactly. i'm not sayin these players are involved at all, but they very well could be the last people to speak to Morgan that night besides the perp.

my brother and sister both play basketball and lacrosse at division one universities, i called them both and asked them about players being suspended and such.  they said in general the NCAA has strict rules that need to be followed about suspensions..these rules pertain to all universities affiliated with NCAA sports, such as UVA. it can range from anything to underage drinking charges to foul play on the court, to misdemeanor and/or criminal charges that are pending...also..there is a difference between a player having to take a leave of absence for personal matters, and someone being suspended for several games, as being suspended pertains directly to some type of disciplinary action.
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #566 on: November 13, 2009, 11:04:29 PM »

I may be totally off base, seems like I usually am, but the RV parking lot really bothers me.  An would be an easy way to conceal a crime, such as kidnapping, especially if the it were owned by the perp.  Who would think to look for evidence, unless someone saw her get into it?

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #567 on: November 13, 2009, 11:06:49 PM »

exactly. i'm not sayin these players are involved at all, but they very well could be the last people to speak to Morgan that night besides the perp.

my brother and sister both play basketball and lacrosse at division one universities, i called them both and asked them about players being suspended and such.  they said in general the NCAA has strict rules that need to be followed about suspensions..these rules pertain to all universities affiliated with NCAA sports, such as UVA. it can range from anything to underage drinking charges to foul play on the court, to misdemeanor and/or criminal charges that are pending...also..there is a difference between a player having to take a leave of absence for personal matters, and someone being suspended for several games, as being suspended pertains directly to some type of disciplinary action.

Me too, on the not accusing them thing......... but well frankly it seems suspicious and too coincidental  IMO and if it's nothing to be worthy of accusation then I'm sure they will speak out quickly, hopefully a little faster than about seeing her in the parking lot.
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #568 on: November 13, 2009, 11:41:27 PM »

The only witnesses to her being in the RV parking lot where the players parked and were after practice would be the players and the coaches and whoever else goes to the practises.
There would have been quite a few vehicles ? And persons.
Now they are asking for anyone else who saw anything to come forward.
She was in that parking lot for ten minutes. Do they all hang around a parking lot on a Sat night ?
I don't believe she was hitchhiking on that bridge. But I can't figure out why she would have been in the parking lot in the first place unless she was going to take a short cut elsewhere .
From the lack of much public info from her gf's, sounds like there was some disagreement / fight. 
Morgan was going to get home on her own or see them later. 
The guy that took a year for personal reasons ... maybe it wasn't his idea to have  personal reasons.
This is crazy stuff.

sunshine12
Monkey Junky

« Reply #569 on: November 13, 2009, 11:50:23 PM »

mizjay-i like the way you think 

i dont know how crowded this parking lot was at the time that morgan was last seen.  having gone to a big college that had tons of huge concerts every weekend and other sporting events at all times i will say that its possible she met up with other people while drinking in that parking lot that could have caused her to meet with foul play....i used to tailgate every saturday for penn state football games and for concerts we had and i can tell u as a young girl in her early 20's it is very easy to get caught up in the atmosphere and meet new people quickly when they invite u over to their tailgate for a beer or something (im not saying its right, but its the reality of the situation).... its possible that this happened to Morgan...but again, theres just too much smoke everywhere for me in this case. and where theres smoke, theres usually fire.  again, i'm not tryin to point the finger at the bball players, but  i honestly believe that morgan was trying to get in touch with someone from VT to come down and meet her at the concert, or maybe she was having someone from home meet her there. 

I'm wondering if people from her home town have been looked at???  It's not unreasonable for her to have been meeting someone from home at this concert.
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #570 on: November 14, 2009, 12:33:45 AM »

There was no game October 17. It was a practise. I don't know how many people that weren't associated with the team would be going to a practise. ??
What do I know ? I go to 11 year old girls soccer. No tailgating after parties there.
First game was tonight as per the family Find Morgan Blog.

All this shoots down the theory that she was lured outside.
This player that took a year, must have a pretty good reason to toss this one, if it was his idea.  I read that he was a star on this team. If it was family illness, his illness ??  Now that his name has been dragged into this, he has to come forward or there will be lots of wondering and semi accusations. Lots of innunedo here.
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #571 on: November 14, 2009, 12:38:31 AM »

The only witnesses to her being in the RV parking lot where the players parked and were after practice would be the players and the coaches and whoever else goes to the practises.
There would have been quite a few vehicles ? And persons.
Now they are asking for anyone else who saw anything to come forward.
She was in that parking lot for ten minutes. Do they all hang around a parking lot on a Sat night ?
I don't believe she was hitchhiking on that bridge. But I can't figure out why she would have been in the parking lot in the first place unless she was going to take a short cut elsewhere .
From the lack of much public info from her gf's, sounds like there was some disagreement / fight. 
Morgan was going to get home on her own or see them later. 
The guy that took a year for personal reasons ... maybe it wasn't his idea to have  personal reasons.
This is crazy stuff.

KAT Gram      it"S SOO CRAZY and I surely agree with you about her hitchiking but again, logically speaking, sounds like the most folks actively leaving the place were.....yep, athletes or staff, so unless car after car of red blooded college guys breezed right by Morgan hitchiking, then probably some one associated with the team gave her a ride .
IMO IMO

Also SUNSHINE~ maybe things will break soon and we'll know
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #572 on: November 14, 2009, 12:48:12 AM »

I gotta go kick back under the blankets, good night all         
ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #573 on: November 14, 2009, 01:53:35 AM »

Evening, everyone!  Just wanted to toss out these two quick thoughts.  The crime stats posted for UVA are ridiculously low, IMO.  However, I did see a disclaimer that they do not include any reporting from local police departments (meaning Charlottesville, Albemarle County, Nelson County, Augusta County, etc.) and the report does not disclose the scale used to compile the information.  Assuming it's per person, it's absolutely laughable that UVA police only arrested 8 people for drunkenness in 2006...not buying it!
Secondly, we're reading reports of Morgan walking/"hitchhiking" on the Copley Road Bridge.  What if Morgan were walking away from someone or a group of people.  With spiky high-heeled boots, she certainly wouldn't be running.  If she were hurriedly trying to get away from someone (or a group), she would be walking "wobbly" or "unsteadily".  Perhaps she was trying to flag down passing motorists not for a ride, but for a rescue.  Just a thought.  I wonder how many normal people would have: stopped at all at night OR stopped for a girl dressed in all black (black shirt, black mini, black hose, knee-high spiked heeled boots, probably bright red lipstick) who may have appeared to be hitchhiking and may/may not have appeared upset.  I'm not knocking her outfit, just saying.

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #574 on: November 14, 2009, 01:55:38 AM »

GypsyDD- Thanks for the church link a few pages back!  It answered a few of my questions.  Thank you!

Well, need to head out.  It's been a long day and looking at an early morning.  Take good care of yourselves and stay safe.

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
KCJackie
Monkey All Star

« Reply #575 on: November 14, 2009, 03:05:04 AM »

an angelic monkey Below is Morgan’s Christmas letter to her dad, Dan Harrington.

Click link to open up the PDF Document! (posted at www.findmorgan.com)

http://www.findmorgan.com/letter.pdf
mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #576 on: November 14, 2009, 04:48:54 AM »

an angelic monkey Below is Morgan’s Christmas letter to her dad, Dan Harrington.

Click link to open up the PDF Document! (posted at www.findmorgan.com)

http://www.findmorgan.com/letter.pdf

Thanks KCJ that is such a sweet letter. It's heart breaking to think of the pain and loss they must feel. After spending most of my time in the Caylee thread and reacting to the belligerent attitude from that family it's like a complete 180 compared to Morgans life and her loved ones. I wish with all my heart there could be a miracle and she is ok and could return to them.   
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #577 on: November 14, 2009, 07:20:27 AM »

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/226284
Harrington last seen hitchhiking
Police say more than one witness saw the missing woman trying to thumb a ride in Charlottesville

Saturday, November 14, 2009
By Rex Bowman
  777-3523
Virginia State Police disclosed Friday that when missing Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington was last seen Oct. 17 on a Charlottesville bridge, she was hitchhiking -- an act her mother said was out of character for her daughter.

The disclosure highlights the possibility that Harrington was not forcefully dragged into a car, but willingly took a risk that ended in abduction.

Her mother, Gil Harrington, said as far as she knows, it was the first time the 20-year-old had ever tried to hitchhike, and like most young women, she had been warned against accepting rides with strangers.

But even if the young woman made a decision that put her in danger, said her mother, "there is no behavior or no choice that my daughter made that night that should have resulted in her being abducted or murdered."

Police had previously revealed that witnesses saw Harrington walking on the Copeley Road bridge, which is just south of the John Paul Jones Arena where Metallica was playing Oct. 17. Harrington had gone to the concert with friends. On Friday, as they sought to keep the public engaged in Harrington's disappearance by releasing new information, police disclosed that more than one witness saw her trying to thumb a ride.
"If anyone recalls seeing a young woman hitchhiking that night on or near the Copeley Road bridge, then they are asked to please contact police by phone or email," said a written statement from the state police. "Anyone who might remember seeing a vehicle randomly stopped in the roadway on Copeley Road bridge that night is also asked to contact investigators."

The statement also said investigators want to hear from anyone who might have loaned a cellphone to a young woman fitting Harrington's description.

Harrington was expected at her parents' house in Roanoke County after the concert so that her father could help her with her algebra the next day. If she was hitchhiking, she could have been looking for a ride down U.S. 29 or Interstate 81 south.

Harrington vanished after she left her friends about 8:20 p.m. to go to a restroom but ended up outside the arena, unable to re-enter. Her friends called her cellphone at 8:48 p.m., and Harrington told them she would either find a way home or stay with friends in Charlottesville.

Her purse and cellphone were found the next day in a grassy parking area near the Lannigan Field track, not far from the Copeley Road bridge. The cellphone battery was gone.

Harrington was wearing a black T-shirt, black miniskirt, black boots and black tights, with a Swarovski crystal necklace made up of large crystal chain links. Harrington has blue eyes and blond hair, is 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighs 120 pounds.

Investigators said they have received nearly 400 leads in the case. Anyone with information is asked to call the state police tip line at (434) 352-3467.

Courtesy Virginia State Police

Investigators say Morgan Harrington was seen wearing a crystal necklace similar to this one.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #578 on: November 14, 2009, 07:25:38 AM »

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/article/police_missing_woman_may_have_hitchhiked/48856/
Home > News> Local
Police: Missing woman may have hitchhiked
By Ted Strong
Published: November 14, 2009

State police announced Friday that they think Morgan D. Harrington was trying to hitchhike on a Copeley Road bridge the night she disappeared, which her father said isn’t something she’d normally do.

“That’s certainly out of character for her and unexplained,” Dan Harrington said Friday.

He added, “My take on it is that regardless of that, no one deserves to be abducted or murdered.”

The Harringtons presume their daughter was the victim of foul play, but police have yet to turn up any evidence pointing toward a crime.

Authorities are hoping the information will bring in new leads.

Harrington disappeared the night of Oct. 17 after leaving a concert at the John Paul Jones Arena.

Police have long made public that they’re acting on the assumption that she was last seen on the Copeley Road bridge at about 9:30 p.m. The identification is based on multiple independent sightings of a woman matching Harrington’s description, said Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller.

They had also long suspected that Harrington had been hitchhiking, but hadn’t released the information because they couldn’t confirm it, Geller said.

New information provided by a witness has confirmed that the woman police assume was Harrington was trying to hitch a ride, Geller said.

Witnesses reported seeing a woman matching Harrington’s description sticking her thumb out as she looked for a ride, Geller said.
The release of the information was briefly delayed as authorities dealt with the flooding caused by the remains of Hurricane Ida, which have been dumping rain on the region this week.

Harrington became separated from her friends after she wound up outside the arena and was unable to gain readmission. She told a friend in a phone call that she would try to find a way home.

“The trail still goes cold around that 9:30 period, which would lead us to believe maybe she did get a ride,” Geller said.

But police don’t know for sure.

They’re hoping the new information will prompt witnesses to recall seeing either a woman hitchhiking, or a vehicle inexplicably stopped in the road that night that could have just picked up a hitchhiker, Geller said.

“If their way is impeded by a vehicle randomly stopped in the roadway, they’re going to remember that,” she said.

Also Friday, state police released a detail of Harrington’s description that they had previously been withholding, in the hope that it would spur more tips.

The night she disappeared, Harrington was wearing a Swarovski crystal necklace with a link motif. Earlier, photographs of a similar necklace had been shown to community searchers who gathered to look for Harrington last weekend.

Dan Harrington said the necklace was special to Morgan because it was a gift her brother, a recent University of Virginia graduate now in New York, gave to her.

State police also suggested Friday that the public try to remember if a woman matching Harrington’s description approached them asking to borrow a cell phone, but Geller said the request isn’t based on any specific evidence.
Harrington’s cell phone was found with her purse in a parking lot the morning after she vanished, so police are wondering if she tried to call anyone after she presumably lost the phone, Geller said.

The case has been receiving national media coverage, which has generated tips from across the country for police. In a bid to help find their daughter, Harrington’s parents have been very willing to grant interviews and have appeared on national television shows, including “Nancy Grace” and “Dr. Phil.” Harrington’s photo is on the cover of the latest issue of People magazine, as part of a story about missing people.

Dan Harrington also said Friday that he was surprised to hear that there are still people in Charlottesville who haven’t heard about his missing daughter.

Several of Harrington’s neighbors came to Charlottesville to take part in last weekend’s community search, and have since told Harrington that in the course of their searches they ran into residents near the arena who hadn’t heard about the missing Virginia Tech student, he said.

“It just amazed them that people had not even heard of this in Charlottesville,” he said.

Harrington is 5-feet-6-inches tall and blonde and weighs about 120 pounds.

In addition to the necklace police described Friday, Harrington was wearing a black T-shirt with “Pantera” written across the front in tan letters, and a black miniskirt, black tights and black knee-high boots the night she disappeared.

The Virginia State Police are looking for tips at 352-3467 or via e-mail at bic-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov .
There is a reward of more than $150,000 for information leading to Harrington.

Anonymous tips are welcome, but police are asking callers to leave as much information as possible, since follow-up calls aren’t possible for anonymous tips.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #579 on: November 14, 2009, 07:26:22 AM »

Praying for Morgan.   an angelic monkey

~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.