March 28, 2024, 04:33:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VA Tech Student Morgan Dana Harrington missing since 10/17/09#1 10/19/09-7/1/10  (Read 749181 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1260 on: January 30, 2010, 07:58:05 AM »

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=11905316
January 29, 2010
News7 sits down with parents of Morgan Harrington after candlelight vigil
Friends and family gathered Friday to remember 20-year-old Morgan Harrington, the missing Virginia Tech student who was found dead earlier this week.

Harrington's remains were found in a remote area in Albemarle County on Tuesday, less than ten miles from where she disappeared during a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones arena in October.

News7 sat down with the family after Friday night's vigil.

They came together to give hugs and sing songs.

They offered words of support from poems.

And comments left on websites.

More than a hundred friends, colleagues, and perfect strangers showed up at the Harrington's Roanoke County home to remember Morgan.

Her family says they are overwhelmed by the generosity.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart, I am so grateful," says Morgan's Dad, Dan Harrington.

Grateful because the family says it would not have made it through the last 100 days without this outpouring of love and support.

One of the themes we heard over and over again at the vigil is the hope Morgan's killer will be caught and soon.
Morgan's parents tell us investigators have told them they've collected a lot of physical evidence where her remains were found.

"I am confident that they will find them," says Morgan's mother, Gil.

While they wait for more answers from State Police, her parents are preparing for her funeral next weekend.

They take comfort in knowing she is no longer missing.

"Morgan is not in the cold tonight. She's not being snowed on tonight. It's not what we wanted, but it's better than not knowing. I think we have closure," says Dan Harrington.

They say they'll have even more closure when her killer is caught.

Until that day, the candle in the family's front window will continue to burn, a reminder that young girl was taken way too soon.

Video at link.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1261 on: January 30, 2010, 11:24:12 AM »

Thank-you Trimm for the updates. The picture of Morgan's mom has just did me in. The look on her face 
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #1262 on: January 30, 2010, 01:15:58 PM »

Thanks Trimm. Morgan's mom and dad look like they have aged 50 years in such a short time.
God Bless

2 4 1
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1263 on: January 30, 2010, 03:30:33 PM »

(L-R) Dan, Alex and Gil Harrington watch on as Kenny Jarels introduces the next speaker Photo by Daniel Lin / SPPS

The way she holds the candle.
 A Mothers intensity of thought on the light of the candle that she holds so carefully with her gentle small hands, knowing it is destined to burn slowly out. A mothers memories of a daughter taken from her by pure evil is beyond comprehension and always will be. Somebody may have found her body, somebody may investigate and see that the accused is arrested, somebody may convict and incarserate a convicted criminal.
Nobody can replace her daughter.

God Bless and help this family in this time of great hardship.

Edward
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1264 on: January 30, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »

(L-R) Dan, Alex and Gil Harrington watch on as Kenny Jarels introduces the next speaker Photo by Daniel Lin / SPPS

The way she holds the candle.
 A Mothers intensity of thought on the light of the candle that she holds so carefully with her gentle small hands, knowing it is destined to burn slowly out. A mothers memories of a daughter taken from her by pure evil is beyond comprehension and always will be. Somebody may have found her body, somebody may investigate and see that the accused is arrested, somebody may convict and incarserate a convicted criminal.
Nobody can replace her daughter.

God Bless and help this family in this time of great hardship.

Edward
You said that so beautifully, that is what I've been thinking since I saw this picture, just couldn't put it into words. A mother's love  an angelic monkey
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1265 on: January 30, 2010, 05:55:33 PM »

So beautiful, Edward.   an angelic monkey

cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1266 on: January 30, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »

http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/opinion/article/editorial_a_nightmare_that_came_true/51319/

EDITORIAL: A nightmare that came true
Our View
Published: January 30, 2010

It is every parent's nightmare: Your child goes missing and the only images you are left with are those imprinted by the crime dramas that air grisly outcomes week after week.

For most parents, the nightmare remains a nightmare. But for the parents of 20-year-old Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington, that nightmare has become a reality.

Three months ago, Harrington disappeared from a Metallica concert in Charlottesville. This week her remains were found in a field about 10 miles from where the band played Oct. 17. Police suspect the death was a homicide.

And so ends the waiting process and begins the mourning for Harrington's family.

Our thoughts go out to them.

Even as this situation is one that sticks fearful in the mind of every parent, it is the same situation that may rest overlooked in the brains of other college-age students.

Harrington had become locked out of the concert and called her friends to tell them that she would find her own way home. The police are pretty sure she was hitchhiking that night, but that is the last thing they are sure of. After that, nobody knows.

Most people Harrington's age are probably aghast at the result of the situation, but it is doubtful that many believe the same could happen to them. After all, the youth are invincible, or so they believe.

Of course, neither Harrington nor her friends seemed to think that what she was doing would end with such horrible results either.

Harrington's fate is a reminder to all reckless youth that it can happen to you. The nightmares of your parents can become the horror of your lives.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1267 on: January 30, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »

I still do not believe she was hitchhiking 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1268 on: January 30, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »

Hey....I just had a thought. Perhaps some of you have done the same thing >>

I can remember several times when I was young where I was walking along and saw a car coming in my direction that I KNEW/recognized. Jokingly, I'd stick my thumb out as though I were thumbing a ride and laugh. She was in a familiar area....perhaps that is what a witness saw??

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1269 on: January 30, 2010, 07:15:57 PM »

Never make me believe she was hitchhiking.   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1270 on: January 30, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=11905369
Morgan's Warriors Stand Together
Posted: Jan 29, 2010 10:15 PM CST Updated: Jan 29, 2010 11:30 PM CST

Friends and those who've followed Morgan Harrington's tragic case gathered Friday in Charlottesville to honor Morgan Harrington.

The vigil took place at the Copeley Road Bridge where Morgan was last seen alive back in October. While the crowd has gone home, the flowers, cards and posters for Morgan Harrington are still here. They're part of a tribute from a group called Morgan's Warriors. It held vigils Friday in Roanoke and in Charlottesville to honor her and the Harrington family.

It was a tearful tribute along a cold Copeley Road. A small crowd of mourners gathered Friday night in the spot Morgan Harrington was last seen alive. They stood in support of her friends and loved ones holding a similar vigil more than 100 miles away.

Kim Simmons is a member of Morgan's Warriors. She says, "Even though there's only a few of us here and a lot of us in Roanoke, we're still all united."

Morgan's Warriors have followed the case since the 20-year-old first went missing, often spending nights and weekends looking for the Virginia Tech student.

Simmons says, "We would organize searches here on our own, we would start here on Copeley Bridge and just walk in different directions."
Sharonda Jackson is one of six girls. When she heard that Morgan was found dead, she thought of the sisters she loves.  "I cried about it and I was real sad and depressed, and still is because it's a hurting feeling, it's really, really a hurting feeling and I can only imagine what the family is going through."

Jackson says now her heart is with the Harringtons. "My love and support goes out to her family and thoughts and prayers go out every single day, every day, I pray for the family every night."

Morgan's Warriors say their vigil is a sign of solidarity, a sign that they'll stand with the Harringtons until they find out what happened to their little girl.

Kim Simmons says, "We've become like family, we're with Mr. Harrington, we're not going to stop until the perpetrator has been caught."

Morgan's Warriors has members from as far away as Texas. They stay connected through Facebook and say this won't be the last time they'll gather here on the Copeley Road Bridge.

Reported by Keith McGilvery
See Bio / Email

~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1271 on: January 30, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »

snipped>>>.

A vital clue

Former FBI profiler Clint Van Zandt says one of the strongest clues police likely have is the spot where Harrington’s body was found.

Hundreds of yards from the nearest road, the pasture where farmer Dave Bass found Harrington’s skeletal remains isn’t a location anyone was likely to stumble across by accident, he said. It’s a point others, including Harrington’s father, have made.

Statistically, it’s likely that Harrington was abducted, raped and murdered, Van Zandt said.

If that’s the case, either someone came to Charlottesville knowing there was a Metallica concert and figuring there would be plenty of victims, or someone decided to commit a crime on the spur of the moment, he said.

“In this particular case, it’s, I think, ... just wrong place, wrong time, wrong everything, and somebody took advantage of her,” he said.

Criminal profiler Pat Brown outlined a similar scenario as likely.

The last reports police have of Harrington the night she disappeared had her hitchiking on the Copeley Road railroad bridge at about 9:30 p.m. Brown thinks she climbed willingly into someone’s vehicle.

“That would lead me to believe that the person ... was not so creepy from looking at them that she would think” better of getting into the vehicle, Brown said.

Theories on a killer

If Harrington was abducted and murdered, it’s unlikely the killer was a first-time criminal, Van Zandt said.

“Either way, the disposal site appears to suggest somebody from the local area,” he said.

He added, “The killer or killers were either very lucky or very comfortable with the area.”

Brown reached a similar conclusion.

“In my experience, when you find somebody on the private property, then the person putting the body there knows it’s private property,” she said.

The farm is west of U.S. 29, near its intersection with Red Hill Road, about 5.5 miles south of Interstate 64.

Bass, the farmer, has said that to access the site through his farm’s front gate would risk notice from the two households on the property.

His neighbors have suggested that entering the area through Blandemar Farm Estates, a subdivision to the west of the site, might be easier, Bass has said.

Both profilers said the location is likely evidence of a very determined effort to keep Harrington’s body from coming to light.

Bass has said that it was only a combination of heavy snow matting down the grass before melting and his seat atop a tractor that allowed him to notice the remains.

Brown said that if Harrngton was murdered, the crime itself might not have taken very long, but disposing of the body would have been an as-long-as-it-takes task.

“It doesn’t have to be a picnic for a person who’s trying to find a place to hide a body,” she said.

Scary possibilities

If Harrington was killed the way Brown thinks she was, the person who did it will be disposed to do it again, she said.

Van Zandt said people should try to remember anyone who went away suddenly after Harring-ton’s Oct. 17 disappearance, or who got rid of a vehicle or showed up muddy, disheveled or scratched on the hands or face.

An excessive interest in the case is also cause for suspicion, he said.

Brown said that a killer would likely be someone who is a pathological liar, or has a bad attitude about women.

Virginia State Police are soliciting tips at 352-3467. 

Brown also warned young women to be careful of sexual predators.

“Yes, it is true, we shouldn’t have human lions out there, … but the fact is, they’re out there and they think of you as prey,” she said

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/crime/article/the_harrington_mystery_hunting_for_clues/51669/

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1272 on: January 30, 2010, 07:45:22 PM »

spur of the moment.. without a doubt

Statistically, it’s likely that Harrington was abducted, raped and murdered...true

it’s unlikely the killer was a first-time criminal.. another statistic that will ring true

the disposal site appears to suggest somebody from the local area.. true

Brown reached a similar conclusion.

when you find somebody on the private property, then the person putting the body there knows it’s private property....true

Both profilers said the location is likely evidence of a very determined effort to keep Harrington’s body from coming to light...
I do not think so because there was no attempt to hide the body. It was probably tall grass and he knew eventually the body would be found.

"Bass has said that it was only a combination of heavy snow matting down the grass before melting and his seat atop a tractor that allowed him to notice the remains."

If Harrington was killed the way Brown thinks she was, the person who did it will be disposed to do it again, she said.

Van Zandt said people should try to remember anyone who went away suddenly after Harring-ton’s Oct. 17 disappearance, or who got rid of a vehicle or showed up muddy, disheveled or scratched on the hands or face.

An excessive interest in the case is also cause for suspicion, he said.

Brown said that a killer would likely be someone who is a pathological liar, or has a bad attitude about women.

Good advice and I think IF he gets away with this he WILL rape murder and dispose of again but not in the same area or state even.
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1273 on: January 30, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »

The picture of the Harringtons breaks my heart.  Mrs Harrington looks as though her world has shattered into a million pieces.....I guess it has.

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1274 on: January 31, 2010, 07:58:30 AM »

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/opinion/letters_to_the_editor/article/harringtons_fate_a_cautionary_one/51667/
Harrington’s fate a cautionary one
Megan B. Rowe Albemarle County
Published: January 31, 2010
At the Jan. 26 press conference announcing the grim news that Morgan Harrington’s body had been found, a reporter asked if parents of University of Virginia students should be warned. This was an opportunity to remind everyone of some basic safety tips, but instead a Virginia State Police lieutenant framed this as an isolated case and said, “… I’m not going to alarm the people of Charlottesville.”

The facts remain that a young woman attended a concert, left the venue alone and, according to state police statements, was under the influence of alcohol, tried to hitch a ride home and was not acting like herself. The logical conclusion is that she was lured into a vehicle by someone with ill intentions and met a tragic ending as a result.

That person or group has not been caught, and so we have a killer who is likely still in the Charlottesville area. Furthermore, other murders, rapes and acts of violence that have taken place in Charlottesville and Albemarle should remind us that we are not guaranteed safety here or anywhere else.

I cannot think of any reason why this should not be a cautionary tale to all of us, particularly in a university community, to remain sober in public settings, look out for our friends and avoid walking alone after dark.

This case is proof that even in a very public area, one can become a victim.

In a perfect world, Morgan would only have attracted the attention of people wanting to help her. Sadly, no place is perfect, even our world-class city.

~ Peter Frampton
Leroy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1275 on: January 31, 2010, 08:59:02 AM »

Hey....I just had a thought. Perhaps some of you have done the same thing >>

I can remember several times when I was young where I was walking along and saw a car coming in my direction that I KNEW/recognized. Jokingly, I'd stick my thumb out as though I were thumbing a ride and laugh. She was in a familiar area....perhaps that is what a witness saw??

I thought of this too and I also thought that maybe someone honked their horn at her and she did it jokingly...and maybe not even using her "hitch hicking thumb" but waving or flipping them off. 

alot of people honk their horns at girls walking down the street and i know if i get irritated by it I may give them a gesure of sorts.  my guess is due to the events of the night, Morgan was probably not in that great of a mood.

Faith . . . it matters . . . it really does. ~ Sister
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1276 on: January 31, 2010, 10:11:03 AM »

There is more then a good chance Morgan was running from her attacker.

running from where ?
a. a parked vehicle.. almost anyone ? a plumber?
b. a home… a person she knew or a vacant job site location of a tradesman?
c. a campsite for a vagrant.?

running from where..

So this perp could even live within the subdivision that the rancher said would be the likely entrance to the area without being seen.

The Boots are they key to this thought.. If she was wearing them, she was walked to this spot. If she was without boots she was running.

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1277 on: January 31, 2010, 10:18:30 AM »

I cant help going back through the various witness statments that we have seen..
If just one of those are correct it changes the circumstances..
I agree with you Nut44x4 What If she was joking and knew her attacker?
What if the woman did see her at 3 a.m. coming out of a building.?
What if she was taken into a building by a Group of players.
If the man who claimed Morgan kicked him is correct she was not only acting Drunk but possibly DRUGED and furthermore possible GHB.

Anyone could have decided to finish her off so she would not make accusation.

I am just pissed and thinking too much.

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1278 on: January 31, 2010, 10:40:41 AM »

I do not agree with the foolish cop statement above.. The whole population of the united states needs to become more vigilant in there thoughts as to women walking or being alone anywhere in order to avoid attacks. We have recorded attacks walking to the vehicle in parking lots after shopping and women walking alone on roads. Now a girl locked outside a concert and separated from her friends..

Women in general need to rethink safety.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1279 on: January 31, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »

http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog
Gil’s thoughts from January 31st
January 31, 2009

Clouds were mottled, purple bruises over the Blue Ridge as we drove over Afton Mountain to reclaim the skelontinized remains of our precious daughter, Morgan Dana Harrington.

We had tried to prepare ourselves for this eventuality for three months, but the reality of it is sharp and disorienting.  How could someone have erased so much of what Morgan was and reduced her to a jumbled heap of bones?  What a waste, what a desecration, a gross injustice.

Who would ever have thought it would be mine to see every image of Morgan’s life – from her first faint shadows on fetal ultrasound to the gaping orbital hollows in her skull? An abomination to witness this ending.

And yet there is growing peace. We realize Morgan has been dead for some time.  Perhaps even since the day of the concert, October 17, 2009.  Morgan Dana Harrington has been at peace, beyond pain and suffering, knowing that brings us some peace also.

Once her body is restored to us and put to rest, we can finally begin the hard work of grieving and growing strong as a triangulated family.  Bless all of you who have held us up on this journey.  My Darling Morgan!

2 4 1

~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.