March 28, 2024, 01:31:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VA Tech Student Morgan Dana Harrington missing since 10/17/09#1 10/19/09-7/1/10  (Read 749144 times)
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1840 on: May 15, 2010, 11:27:42 AM »

<snipped>
VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now ISSUES has learned that in 2008, UVA violated federal law. Why? By requiring student victims of sexual assault to keep quiet about it. The school says the confidentiality rule was to protect the victim`s privacy. Oh, really? So it wasn`t to protect the university`s image?<snipped>

yes..yes..yes..

No More Secrets !!!!! Everybody who has been attacked sue them !! make them expose EVERYTHING.
jmho
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1841 on: May 15, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »

<snipped>
VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now ISSUES has learned that in 2008, UVA violated federal law. Why? By requiring student victims of sexual assault to keep quiet about it. The school says the confidentiality rule was to protect the victim`s privacy. Oh, really? So it wasn`t to protect the university`s image?<snipped>

yes..yes..yes..

No More Secrets !!!!! Everybody who has been attacked sue them !! make them expose EVERYTHING.
jmho
I totally agree, make them expose everything.
Gypsy DD
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1842 on: May 15, 2010, 02:59:35 PM »

I also agree..UVA has been covering their butt in these types of incidents for years.

I am really upset that Morgan's case has not been solved yet...as students are now leaving campus for home.  Who knows..some may not return..and Morgan's killer may be one of them. 

"Commit a crime and the world is made of glass."
Ralph Waldo Emerson  1841
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1843 on: May 15, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »

One of the things with reporting crimes on campus is there are different classifications of the crime reporting.  It's basically a loophole. For example, if a girl were out jogging and a guy tried to grab her, and she got away, the school might decide to report it as attempted theft instead of an attempted rape or abduction.  JMHO 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1844 on: May 16, 2010, 08:12:39 AM »

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/052010/05162010/547094
Waiting for justice

Fifteen murder victims in Virginia await law enforcement action
  Date published: 5/16/2010

UPHOLDING JUSTICE is a pri- mary function of government. When government drops that ball, it's a fundamental betrayal.
For the families of 15 young people found murdered in Virginia over the last two decades, the silence from law enforcement has become unbearable ["Families seek action on unsolved slayings," May 9]. Discovering, as some of them have, that crime scenes were contaminated, evidence destroyed, and leads left dangling has motivated them to petition Gov. McDonnell for action.

It's going to take someone at least at that level to move these cases, some of which are handled by the FBI and some by the Virginia State Police. Clusters of murders of young couples began in 1986 on or near the Colonial Parkway. Eight men and women have lost their lives there. Four attacks along or near U.S. 29 have left five young women dead. And a Virginia Tech couple was found slain last August in the Jefferson National Forest. The similarities in some of the cases are eerie: Wallets and purses left in the cars where they were found, throats slashed ear-to-ear, women victimized while traveling alone.

The latest of the 15 to die was Morgan Harrington, of Roanoke, who disappeared in October after attending a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena at the University of Virginia. Her body was found in January in a farm field in southern Albemarle County. Her death triggered a flashback for Sadie Showalter, whose daughter, Alicia, was murdered along U.S. 29 in 1996. Are the cases related?

We won't know unless someone pushes the law-enforcement agencies. Mr. McDonnell has vowed to pursue answers; his secretary of public safety, Marla Decker, has already been in touch with Ms. Showalter. But more should be done: A joint FBI-state police task force, committed to following every lead to resolve the murders, would help. Family members have already been frustrated at one obvious stonewall: Forensic evidence from serial murderer Marc Evonitz has never been tested in Ms. Reynolds' case or in the murders of Julie Williams or Laura Winans, despite similarities to other crimes Evonitz committed.

Fifteen young people. Fifteen families. Fifteen unsolved cases. A myriad of missed opportunities for investigators to find the killers responsible. How will this end? The families want answers. The public wants justice. Law enforcement holds the cards.

A massive stone dedicating the FBI Laboratory in Quantico bears this reminder: "Behind every case is a victim--man, woman, or child--and the people who care for them." Fifteen cases in Virginia still await law enforcement's best efforts.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1845 on: May 16, 2010, 05:42:17 PM »

Don't miss the Dana Pretzer show tonight!

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1846 on: May 17, 2010, 09:17:17 AM »

http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog
Gil Harrington’s thoughts from May 17th, 2010
On May - 17 - 2010ADD COMMENTS

It has been seven months since Morgan was abducted, raped, and murdered. Still no resolution! We find some comfort in having recovered her body; knowing is better than not knowing and trying to “fill in the blanks”.

We are getting more frantic.  Not for answers, we have our answer – Morgan is dead.  The incidentals of how he did it, or why he did it, don’t really matter.  What DOES matter is that he is still out there.  This wasn’t his first assault against a woman.  He worked up to the crime of murder- but he is there now!  Somewhere in the back of his mind he is figuring out another dump site – like Anchorage farm – just in case.  So when the next opportunity presents itself, he is ready.

I feel him, he is smug, he got away with it – again.  Secrets don’t keep forever. So far the only breaks we have gotten are Morgan’s bones – but the truth will out, in its own time, and our time is coming, it just has to be. If he is lucky, he will only be doing time.

Charlottesville, cough up this predator, those that know need to speak before he acts again.

2 4 1

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1847 on: May 17, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »

http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog
Gil Harrington’s thoughts from May 17th, 2010
On May - 17 - 2010ADD COMMENTS

It has been seven months since Morgan was abducted, raped, and murdered. Still no resolution! We find some comfort in having recovered her body; knowing is better than not knowing and trying to “fill in the blanks”.

We are getting more frantic.  Not for answers, we have our answer – Morgan is dead.  The incidentals of how he did it, or why he did it, don’t really matter.  What DOES matter is that he is still out there.  This wasn’t his first assault against a woman.  He worked up to the crime of murder- but he is there now!  Somewhere in the back of his mind he is figuring out another dump site – like Anchorage farm – just in case.  So when the next opportunity presents itself, he is ready.

I feel him, he is smug, he got away with it – again.  Secrets don’t keep forever. So far the only breaks we have gotten are Morgan’s bones – but the truth will out, in its own time, and our time is coming, it just has to be. If he is lucky, he will only be doing time.

Charlottesville, cough up this predator, those that know need to speak before he acts again.

2 4 1
an angelic monkey Can't even begin to understand how frantic the family is, the grief and not knowing who did this terrible crime has to be overwhelming beyond words.
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1848 on: May 17, 2010, 03:29:49 PM »

Gil Harrington is ready for battle. She has her head on straight..
We are after this guy because he/they will murder again.

Anything I can do to support the Harrington's in this effort I will do.

Gill Harrington needs to meet up with Beth and Carrie who are great about getting needed attention and BLINK for the FACTS.
  All of them need to get the support of LE in this effort by using the media Like FOX to bring focus and all out attention on VA and all of the unsolved murders as they may all be relative. It is the HEAT that is needed to motivate..
Greta or even Nancy Grace or many other investigative reporters can ask questions of ALL of them included is the secret club at UVA. I hate the idea that some college considers themselves about the law. It is absurd and designed to protect Rich Kids who commit crimes that harm others.

Even this new missing person  "Venus"..
We have no idea who abducted her although we do have theory it is her ex.
This type of abduction is rare.. but who really knows.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1849 on: May 17, 2010, 05:47:24 PM »

Gill Harrington needs to meet up with Beth and Carrie who are great about getting needed attention and BLINK for the FACTS.
  All of them need to get the support of LE in this effort by using the media Like FOX to bring focus and all out attention on VA and all of the unsolved murders as they may all be relative. It is the HEAT that is needed to motivate..
Greta or even Nancy Grace or many other investigative reporters can ask questions of ALL of them included is the secret club at UVA. I hate the idea that some college considers themselves about the law. It is absurd and designed to protect Rich Kids who commit crimes that harm others.

Edward, I agree with you in much of what you have to say in your post, including the part where you say you "hate the idea that some college's considers themselves above the law."  The part I'm differing on is the part you say "designed to protect Rich Kids who commit crimes that harm others."  IMO, the cover up by the schools covers up students which covers up the schools own hind ends.  Not all students that attend college are rich.There are many students on scholarship and/or will have  student loans.  There are many community and state funded schools of higher learning and from experience, I've seen cover ups on a couple of incidents at a state college.  I can think of one recent incident at a state college where there was a pistol shot in the air on campus at a school function after a altercation.  That incident doesn't show up. If you look at the statistics there was no shooting.  Is firing a 9mm pistol into the air in a crowd of people on campus after an altercation considered a "shooting"?  Apparently it wasn't to the university.   It was not reported in violation of the Clery [/b]Act.  The person involved was not a student and he was was far from wealthy but this happened on campus at a campus function.  There is no record of a shooting on the campus.  The cover up was for the school.  So their statics look nice and tidy and safe. The schools want to cover their own azzes.  CYA.  Go to google and look up Clery Act.  Sometimes the crimes that occur on campus are not reported and their isn't enough enforcement to make sure that's done.  A person may want to check on how safe a campus is, and will go and look up the school's annual crime statistics.  Are the crime statistics "real" or have they been skewed purposefully?  Here is a link I found reading about the Clery Act for TAMU, but there are many more:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ODCwO3hfl34J:upd.tamu.edu/documents/clerytraining-for-web.ppt+how+to+find+crime+statistics+on+campuses&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Another link concerning College Crime Statistics:
http://www.usa-people-search.com/content-college-campus-crime-statistics.aspx

The bottom line is, the schools have a responsibility to report crime on their campuses.  Some may do this, and I think some may not, until something really bad happens and then it comes it.  I think there isn't enough enforcement of the laws that already exist with too many loopholes for the schools of higher learning to do CYA. 

Yes, I'm very concerned about safety on campuses of higher learning. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1850 on: May 17, 2010, 06:03:04 PM »

I see what you are saying... I should not have called it rich kids as that is not accurate.

Colleges make $ on sports programs. Big $
College's are influenced by this and sports players are protected at some colleges.
Parents of those players and there lawyers are influential in the decision ? to not let this little incident get out of hand" as this player has there whole $ life ahead of them.

I think that may be what the contact of secrecy is really all about with college students and accusations of such things as rape are concerned.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1851 on: May 17, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »

I see what you are saying... I should not have called it rich kids as that is not accurate.

Colleges make $ on sports programs. Big $
College's are influenced by this and sports players are protected at some colleges.
Parents of those players and there lawyers are influential in the decision ? to not let this little incident get out of hand" as this player has there whole $ life ahead of them.

I think that may be what the contact of secrecy is really all about with college students and accusations of such things as rape are concerned.

I agree with you about  the point you make about schools  protecting sports players.  The sports programs generate money and also prestige for colleges.  The cases I've become familiar with at a certain state university were neither athletes nor did they come from wealthy families.   Some of the students are able to be at a college or university through Pell Grants, private scholarships which some are available for something as simple as being of Irish Heritage and many other situations such as being financially disadvantaged and etc.  Schools still are failing to report/falsifying reports and etc. the crimes that have occured on their campuses so they appear to have a much lower crime rate or have no serious crimes reported.  Whether the persons committing the crimes on campus were students, non-students, scholarship athletes, it didn't seem to matter.  The school I'm familiar with just plain didn't want a shooting statistic on their records.  An alleged rape was reported as an attempted theft/robbery which to me is less serious.  I agree with you Edward.  There are some that are being protected and I think many times it's athletes that we see get off the hook or get lesser charges.  But I wanted to add there are others committing criminal activity and it's going on behind the scenes too. 

The point I am making is the schools are protecting/covering up students to make themselves (the schools) look better.   The schools don't want to have a school shooting on their records, whether it was an athlete or not imo. 

Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1852 on: May 17, 2010, 08:54:34 PM »

Great Point Edward. It is the rarest.

People do not vanish and end up on a strangers remotest property.

The nexus is UVA, whether they like it or not.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1853 on: May 18, 2010, 07:28:22 AM »

http://www2.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/crime/article/white_ribbons_to_mark_love_tragedy/56249/
Home > News> Local> Crime
White ribbons to mark Love tragedy
University of Virginia graduates, families and faculty members will wear some 25,000 white ribbons at this weekend’s commencement ceremony as a sign of their pledge to reject violence.
The student-led campaign comes two weeks after a 22-year-old fourth-year, Yeardley Love, was found dead in her apartment. Her ex-boyfriend, also a UVa student, has been charged in her death.
“After the tragic death of Yeardley Love, we wanted to use the platform of graduation to unify the community and raise awareness,” said Caitlin

Donaghy, one of the campaign’s organizers and a graduating UVa student majoring in studies in women and gender.
UVa’s graduation will be held on the Lawn on Sunday. UVa President John T. Casteen III will deliver the commencement address, his final public speech to the university as president before he retires this summer.
The white ribbons, Donaghy said, aim to raise awareness about domestic abuse and violence. It was inspired by a similar international campaign against violence toward women.

UVa’s white ribbons, Donaghy said, will not only memorialize Love, but also slain 20-year-old Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington, whose body was found in Albemarle County roughly three months after she disappeared from a rock concert last October in Charlottesville.
“There have just been one too many events like this,” she said. “We had to do something.”
The white ribbon campaign at UVa came about after a group of 30 concerned students, faculty and community members gathered last week to come up with a response to Love’s death.
The ribbons are being paid for by $2,000 from a pool of private funds in the Office of Student Affairs that finances student-led initiatives, a UVa spokeswoman said.
Along with wearing the white ribbons on their gowns at graduation, they decided, the organizers would encourage supporters to take action in other ways, such as donating money to UVa’s Women’s Center, which provides help for students who are victims of sexual and domestic violence.
Donaghy added that she would like to see UVa require education programs to new and existing students to teach them about the warning signs of domestic abuse and who they can notify if they notice it occurring.
“Students need to be taught how to recognize the red flags,” she said. “Be aware of the signs to ook out for and equip them with the tools they need.”

Claire Kaplan, director of sexual and domestic violence services at UVa’s Women’s Center, said cases of domestic violence on college campuses are far more prevalent than many might think.
According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, she noted, one out of every four relationships is violent.
The 16 to 24 age group, she said, is especially vulnerable. Many cases, she added, go unreported because the victim is afraid of retaliation, because the victim blames herself or because they want to stay in their relationship despite the problems.

UVa, Kaplan said, ought to do more to emphasize the problem of partner violence during new-student orientation and throughout a student’s time at the university.
“There needs to be a shift,” she said. “Students need to know what [partner violence] is so they know what to report. They need to be able to know: Am I in an abusive relationship? Should I be worried? Who can I talk to? What resources are available?”

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1854 on: May 18, 2010, 10:36:29 AM »

http://www.c-ville.com/index.php?cat=121304062461064&ShowArticle_ID=11801705103896348
Issue #22.20 :: 05/18/2010 - 05/24/2010
John Casteen, version 20.0
Moving on after 20 years at the helm of UVA, John Casteen talks with former president Robert M. O'Neil
BY C-VILLE WEEKLY

Article also includes Two decades of major change
Highlights from John Casteen's 20-year reign at UVA

~ Peter Frampton
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1855 on: May 18, 2010, 04:55:51 PM »

NEW BLINK POST:

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/05/18/morgan-harrington-murder-anchorage-farm-could-yield-even-more-clues/

Morgan Harrington Murder: Anchorage Farm Could Yield Even More Clues
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1856 on: May 18, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »

NEW BLINK POST:

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/05/18/morgan-harrington-murder-anchorage-farm-could-yield-even-more-clues/

Morgan Harrington Murder: Anchorage Farm Could Yield Even More Clues

Thank-you
Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1857 on: May 18, 2010, 05:18:24 PM »

Most welcome No rose
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1858 on: May 18, 2010, 05:21:13 PM »

Oh thanks Blink!I have been popping in and out.Just saw you had a new post.   

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1859 on: May 18, 2010, 05:31:46 PM »

Blink,very interesting.I wonder why this hasn't really been talked about? 
I knew there had to be parties going on there in that area.So many questions............

~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.