March 28, 2024, 12:59:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VA Tech Student Morgan Dana Harrington missing since 10/17/09#1 10/19/09-7/1/10  (Read 749132 times)
akmom
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1920 on: June 01, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »

http://findmorgan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3769

http://www.newsplex.com/blogs/continuousnews/95328479.html
Morgan Harrington Billboard Goes Up on High Street
Topic Author: Liz Palka
Posted: 12:38 PM Jun 1, 2010
Replies Posted: 0 comments
Good afternoon!

What was a billboard for the Newsplex's Marc Davis, is now a message from Dan and Gil Harrington saying, "Help Us Solve Morgan's Murder."  The Harrington's have been working with Lamar Advertising to find a billboard space to spread their message of finding their daughter's killer.  When they couldn't find a space, the Newsplex decided to donate our billboard space to their cause.  The space is the most visible on High Street, where more than 10,000 cars drive by every day.

I hope the perp sees this and it haunts his days and nights.   2 4 1 I will not forget you Morgan

I will ALWAYS stand with the girls, Natalee and Caylee, forever.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1921 on: June 02, 2010, 06:52:03 AM »

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/95355919.html
Updated: 6:58 PM Jun 1, 2010
Billboard Asks for Missing Piece in Harrington Murder
June 1, 2010

The family of Morgan Harrington is putting up a request for tips in the case, and it's hard to miss.

People driving down High Street in Charlottesville will see a new billboard with Morgan's picture, reminding them her murderer is still on the loose.

The billboard went up on Tuesday morning. The billboard space is one that the Charlottesville Newsplex rents, but the Newsplex donated the billboard space to the Harringtons because all other spots were sold out.

"They wanted to get the billboard up there as soon as possible to get the reward information out there again," said Cindy Semer of Lamar Advertising.

"We're most appreciative of this latest kindness in a multitude of blessings that we have had from the community," Gil Harrington, Morgan's mother, said in a phone interview with CBS19 on Tuesday.

Dan and Gil Harrington said they want to accomplish two things with the eye-catching sign.

"We want to instigate awareness of safety in the Charlottesville community," Gil Harrington said. "And we also want to promote that awareness for people to give information on any suspicious behavior or information they have of the night of Morgan's abduction."

In the eight and a half months since Morgan's disappearance and death, her case has been a puzzle. The Harringtons say there's still a missing piece.

"That is what we need. We need one piece to make all of this click together and come into focus and for us to have an arrest," Gil Harrington said.

That missing piece could be key in bringing justice for the Harringtons and finding the person who took her life.

If you have information about Morgan Harrington's case, call the tip line at 434-352-3467.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1922 on: June 02, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=12584260
June 2, 2010
Billboard goes up in Charlottesville to find Morgan Harrington's killer
The message is big in Charlottesville, getting the word out to find whoever killed Morgan Harrington.

A billboard just went up with a picture of the Virginia Tech student who was murdered after leaving a Metallica concert last October.

Charlottesville's Newsplex donated the billboard space and Dan Harrington paid for the supplies.

The Harringtons say they're looking for that missing piece to bring justice and find their daughters' killer.

Harrington's remains were found in January on an Albermarle County farm about ten miles from the John Paul Jones Arena.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1923 on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:30 PM »

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/95440964.html
Updated: 3:45 PM Jun 2, 2010
Billboard to Remind Drivers of Morgan Harrington's Unsolved Murder
Charlottesville, Va.
The parents of a murdered Virginia Tech student don't want people who pass through the area to forget their daughter.
Posted: 3:21 PM Jun 2, 2010
The parents of a murdered Virginia Tech student don't want people who pass through the area to forget their daughter.

Morgan Harrington disappeared from a Metallica concert at the John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville in October.

Her body was found several months later in a remote part of a farm in Albemarle County.

Now, Dan and Gil Harrington have put up a billboard on a busy Charlottesville street in the hope it will generate tips that will help solve the mystery of Morgan's murder.

The billboard is on High Street, which is a road more than 10,000 cars use every day.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1924 on: June 03, 2010, 04:53:03 PM »

Justice For Morgan

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1925 on: June 04, 2010, 02:58:39 PM »

http://findmorgan.com/family-blog/gil-harringtons-thoughts-from-june-4th-2010
Gil Harrington’s thoughts from June 4th, 2010
 On June - 4 - 2010

We don’t cry for the dead. We cry for ourselves, our pain, our loss, our grief. Seems like a self-indulgent activity and leaves us drained and spent. So stop it. Why cry? Instead we should cling to routine and pretense praying that it will hold us until gaps open in this wall of pain.

Hoping that eventually tiny root hairs of normal will sprout and anchor.

With luck, normalcy will grow enough to crack the immense wall of hurt. I know it will never erode into nothingness, but I’m going to try so hard to grow all over that pain. Germinate and smother it like Kudzu. Obliterating its shape and for with a dense verdant covering. Maybe then we’ll feel all right.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1926 on: June 04, 2010, 06:57:40 PM »

http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2010/06/04/morgan-on-high-billboard-reminds-public-of-a-killer/
  Morgan on High: Billboard reminds public of a killer
by Courteney Stuart
published 3:24pm Friday Jun 4, 2010
Her striking face now looks out from a billboard on High Street with the plea: “Help us solve Morgan’s murder.”

Nearly eight months after the 20-year-old Virginia Tech student disappeared after attending a Metallica show at John Paul Jones Arena and more than four months after her remains were discovered on a remote farm in southern Albemarle County, the billboard— put up June 1— is a reminder that whoever killed Morgan Harrington is still at large in a case that some are beginning to fear may never be solved, despite a still-available $150,000 reward.

“We’re all hoping for some kind of break,” said Morgan’s mother, Gil Harrington, on May 17, the seven month anniversary of Morgan’s disappearance and two weeks before the billboard was erected.

Seeking a way to elevate the visibility of the case and perhaps prompt a tip that could help bring Morgan’s killer to justice, the Harringtons contacted Lamar advertising, the company that owns the billboards— only to learn all spots were sold out.

When the Charlottesville Newsplex heard the Harringtons were seeking billboard space, “it didn’t take two seconds” to decide to donate the space normally reserved for smiling newsanchors at television stations WCAV, WVAW, WAHU, according to General Manager Brad Ramsey, who says the company pays about $1,000 per month for the prominently-placed billboard.

State Police spokesperson Corinne Geller says the lack of new information made public in the case is not necessarily bad news.

“At first we were forthcoming,” she says. “Now we have a criminal investigation, and there’s certain information we have to evaluate so we don’t jeopardize the eventual prosecution. We’re still very hopeful, and we’ve certainly not given up.”

As for the billboard, it will remain up through the end of June, says Ramsey, in hopes of sparking new information to solve the case.
“It just seemed like the right thing to do,” says Ramsey. “I don’t think there’s a single person in this community who doesn’t want to find the person responsible for Morgan’s death, other than the person who did it.”

~ Peter Frampton
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1927 on: June 07, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »

If they think somebody will call in off that billboard they are yuppie nuts.
jmho
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1928 on: June 08, 2010, 07:35:27 AM »

http://findmorgan.com/category/family-blog
Gil Harrington’s thoughts from June 7th, 2010
  On June - 7 - 20101 COMMENT

Sorrow is an untamed dog, at times fawning and at others fierce. Sorrow has sharp teeth. It likes to take up your arm with a soft mouth and then lay the pinpoints of its teeth on your skin. Barely piercing the membrane, hardly hurts at all, just to remind you that it’s there and that sorrow knows no master. Other times sorrow chews and gnaws relentlessly abrading away protective tissue. On occasion, and more often than I like, sorrow erupts like a savage beast and rips and tears at the flesh of our composure.

We bear the scars of many such encounters with sorrow and grief. I choose to see these scars as beautiful, evidence of our survival and perseverance. A scar represents the body’s phenomenal ability to heal after wounds and if you grow one it is a badge of honor and you are one of the lucky ones who have survived and transcended injury.

Morgan suffered mortal blows. No scars there. We are hurting and healing and will never rest until justice prevails and this Charlottesville killer is taken off the streets.

Survival is good. A start. Will joy ever emerge again?

2 4 1

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1929 on: June 11, 2010, 06:57:56 AM »

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0610/744710.html
Senior Spearheads 1st Self Defense Classes at Fairfax Co. School
updated 06/10/10 5:36 pm   posted by: Malachi Constant
CHANTILLY, Va. - Self defense classes at Westfield High School are aimed at keeping young women safe after going to college.

Amanda D'Urso had the idea to get self defense training for future college freshmen after she was accepted to the University of Virginia where Morgan Harrington and Yeardley Love were both murdered this year off campus.

"Girls should educate themselves to know what to do if something happens. You never know when something could happen," said Westfield senior Amanda D'Urso.
For the first time in a Fairfax County  (web | news) School, students are learning from police officers and self defense experts how to avoid a dangerous situation, but also what to do if they get in one.

"I'm not teaching you to be street fighters. I'm teaching you how to escape and run away from this person," said self defense expert Beth Myers to a group of young women.

"I think it's very rare that we're given the opportunity to actually learn how to defend ourselves and handle ourselves when we do get in these situations," said Aria Velz, a Westfield senior.

Senior Victoria Monroe added, "I just seems like a really good idea to have some basic skills to know how to defend yourself, especially when you're going away to college."

As these young women look to going off to college, this personal safety information on how to use their voice, their keys, hot coffee or a purse to defend themselves is something many people believe could prevent tragedies like the ones at UVA.

"This is what the class is: it's an 'if' situation. If you are in this situation, what are you going to do?" stated D'Urso.
The class is voluntary and happens after school. The senior girls say they want to pass it along to the junior girls and it may be an idea that spreads around the county.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1930 on: June 12, 2010, 07:38:59 AM »

http://www.nbc29.com/Global/story.asp?S=12636304
State May Look To Change Alcohol Laws
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 2:57 PM CDT Updated: Jun 11, 2010 2:57 PM CDT
The 2011 General Assembly session is still months away, but there are already conversations about changes to state law, including some dealing alcohol on college campuses. It is a tricky balancing act for legislators.

This comes largely in response to two separate tragedies in Charlottesville: the murders of Morgan Harrington and Yeardley Love. Police say alcohol played at least some role in both events and that led to a call for the state to take another look at Virginia's liquor laws.

It is still too early to know if any member of the General Assembly will file legislation to crack down even harder on underage drinking. Several lawmakers say that this issue is particularly complicated because of the prevalence of alcohol in and around colleges, and because Virginia already has relatively tough alcohol laws. But that is not going to stop folks from taking another look.

"I still believe, as many do, that you can't legislate away every bad, horrible tragedy that can happen in life," said 15th District Delegate Todd Gilbert (R). "And that may be where we are at the end of this discussion."

One area that could get some new attention is the way Virginia colleges work to educate students about the dangers of abusing alcohol and about the consequences of being caught drinking underage. One possible penalty is losing your driver's license. Legislators say that is a powerful motivator for young people to do the right thing and perhaps that message needs to be conveyed more strongly at college campuses.

We will have a better idea about legislation that could come forward in a few more months.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1931 on: June 12, 2010, 07:46:23 AM »

Gil Harrington’s thoughts from June 11th, 2010
  On June - 11 - 2010ADD COMMENTS

Suffering is a call to change pain into wisdom and compassion; an opportunity for transformation and growth. I get that, but understanding it and living it are two different propositions. I see the way. I have to let go of my stuff; my plans and surrender. Just give it over and let it be what it will. Accept the life we have been given and find the goodness in it. I know this surrender is the only way to survive the tragedy of Morgan’s death. I think I am actually doing it at times, but the mind is tricky.

Without my even realizing it, resistance and backward thinking start to creep into my head. Internally I replay all the what ifs, why us, its so unfair, and in an instant I am right back at square one in a puddle of self pity - its indulgent and not helpful.

As a nurse, when I give an injection, I try to position the arm so the muscle is relaxed. I explain to the patient not to tense the muscle as I enter the skin to minimize pain at the injection site. This is the key; to soften to the piercing of pain. Don’t resist. Accept the pain. If you can, even embrace the pain, engulf it, and allow it to pass through you. Use it. Be opened by it, more connected and more compassionate to our shared vulnerabilities and weakness.

This is a hard lesson, but I’m motivated by knowing that the fellow who doesn’t listen and really tenses up his arm during an injection often ends up having to get stuck again.

2 4 1

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1932 on: June 12, 2010, 07:51:19 AM »

Justice For Morgan!

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1933 on: June 12, 2010, 02:57:22 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/opinion/09dowd.html?ref=opinion
Op-Ed Columnist
Their Dangerous Swagger
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: June 8, 2010
It was set up like a fantasy football league draft. The height, weight and performance statistics of the draftees were offered to decide who would make the cut and who would emerge as the No. 1 pick.

But the players in this predatory game were not famous N.F.L. stars. They were unwitting girls about to start high school.

A group of soon-to-be freshmen boys at Landon, an elite private grade school and high school for boys in the wealthy Washington suburb of Montgomery County, Md., was drafting local girls.

One team was called “The Southside Slampigs,” and one boy dubbed his team with crude street slang for drug-addicted prostitutes.

The young woman who was the “top pick” was described by one of the boys in a team profile he put up online as “sweet, outgoing, friendly, willing to get down and dirty and [expletive] party. Coming in at 90 pounds, 5’2 and a bra size 34d.” She would be a special asset to the team, he noted, because her mother “is quite the cougar herself.”
Before they got caught last summer, the boys had planned an “opening day party,” complete with T-shirts, where the mission was to invite the drafted girls and, unbeknownst to them, score points by trying to rack up as many sexual encounters with the young women as possible.

“They evidently got points for first, second and third base,” said one outraged father of a drafted girl. “They were going to have parties and tally up the points, and money was going to be exchanged at the end of the season.” He said that the boys would also have earned points for “schmoozing with the parents.”

His daughter, he said, “was very upset about it. She thought these guys were her friends. This is the way we teach boys to treat women, young ladies? You have enough to worry about as a 14- or 15-year-old girl without having to worry about guys who are doing it as sport.”

Another parent was equally appalled: “I think the girls felt like they were getting targeted, that this was some big game. Talk about using people. It doesn’t get much worse than that.”
Landon is where the sons of many prominent members of the community are sent to learn “the code of character,” where “a Landon man” is part of a “true Brotherhood” and is known for his good word, respect and honesty. The school’s Web site boasts about the Landon Civility Code; boys are expected to “work together to eliminate all forms of disrespect” and “respect one another and our surroundings in our decorum, appearance, and interactions.”

The Washington suburban community of private school parents has also been reeling this spring from the tragedy involving former Landon student George Huguely V, a scion of the family that owned the lumber business that helped build the nation’s capital.

Huguely, who was a University of Virginia lacrosse player, was charged in the brutal death of his sometime girlfriend, Yeardley Love, a lacrosse player on the university’s women’s team who also hailed from Maryland.

The lovely young woman’s door was kicked in and her head was smashed over and over into the wall.

The awful crime, chronicled on the cover of People with the headline “Could She Have Been Saved?,” raised haunting questions about why Huguely had not already been reported to authorities, even though other lacrosse players had seen him choke Love at a party and his circle knew that the athlete had attacked a sleeping teammate whom he suspected had kissed Love. Huguely had also been so out-of-control drunk, angry and racially abusive with a policewoman in 2008 that she had to Taser him.

In The Washington Post, the sports columnist Sally Jenkins wrote about the swagger of young male athletes and the culture of silence that protects their thuggish locker-room behavior.

“His teammates and friends, the ones who watched him smash up windows and bottles and heard him rant about Love,” she wrote. “Why didn’t they turn him in? ... Why did they not treat Yeardley Love as their teammate, too?”

Some of the parents of girls drafted for the Landon sex teams think that the punishment for those culpable should have been greater, and the notification to parents should have been more thorough. Was the macho culture of silence in play?

Jean Erstling, Landon’s director of communications, said she was “aware of the incident” but that “student records including disciplinary infractions are confidential.”

She said that “Landon has an extensive ethics and character education program which includes as its key tenets respect and honesty. Civility toward women is definitely part of that education program.”

Time for a curriculum overhaul. Young men everywhere must be taught, beyond platitudes, that young women are not prey.

I saw this posted by Mr. Harrington on Morgan's website  http://findmorgan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3843

Quite disturbing.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1934 on: June 14, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »

Gil Harrington’s thoughts from June 14th, 2010
  On June - 14 - 2010ADD COMMENTS

Evil does exist and life can be savage at times. Despite that, I know love will persist and goodness continues. I hold fast to this truth as I stumble in sadness and fear, knowing my sight will acclimate to the darkness soon and I’ll learn to navigate this shadow land with ease.

I wish I could hurry the process along. I yearn for ease and a lightening of our burden. But grief has its own clock and doesn’t seem to care about my time frame at all. I believe healing could occur more readily if I got out of the way and allowed it to unfold.

My knee jerk is to meet a problem with strength, shoulder it, attack it, wrestle it, oppose it. Regrettably, there’s no dominating Death or her sister Grief. I want to be a force for good, but realize that force is impotent here. To process Morgan’s death in a healthy way I must develop a whole new survival skill set based on submission and surrender. Dan will confirm that those attributes are pretty foreign to my character.

Am being forced to change and grow and yield? I hope my pigheaded resistance will be short lived and I learn to stop throwing myself against the rock and instead flow around it. Intellectually, I understand, but my anguished heart still can’t stop screaming WHY?

My little Mogo, 241

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1935 on: June 14, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »

Prayers for Morgan's family.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1936 on: June 16, 2010, 08:31:55 AM »

http://www.whsv.com/news/headlines/96445779.html
Updated: 7:18 AM Jun 16, 2010
Petitioners Seek Information about Harrington's Disappearance
Nearly 100 people have signed a petition hoping to get more information about the disappearance of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington.
Posted: 12:51 AM Jun 16, 2010

Nearly 100 people have signed a petition hoping to get more information about the disappearance of Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington.

The petition is asking John Paul Jones Arena officials to release video footage taken the night of the Metallica concert where Morgan was last seen.

JPJ turned over all footage to Virginia State Police, and police say there are no signs of Morgan. But petitioners say they want to see for themselves.. They say looking at the video may jog someone's memory.

Harrington disappeared after the concert on October 17. Her body was found at a farm in Albemarle County in January.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1937 on: June 16, 2010, 08:35:03 AM »

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/96415834.html
Updated: 7:35 PM Jun 15, 2010
Online Petition Seeks Release of JPJ Security Tapes of Harrington

June 15, 2010

A new online petition is designed to put pressure on management on the John Paul Jones Arena, the site where Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington was last seen alive.

Harrington went missing on Oct. 17, when she left the John Paul Jones Arena after a Metallica concert.

People who signed the online petition want to know exactly what happened inside JPJ on that night and why Harrington was never picked up by security cameras.

The petition, created through ThePetitionSite.com, has more than 90 signatures of people who want answers. They say, "One would think with 'state of the art' security in place, Ms. Harrington would have been captured on security video."

JPJ, which is owned by the University of Virginia, has given all security video from the Metallica concert to Virginia State Police. Police say Harrington is nowhere to be found in any of the footage.

Yet, people still say they have two reasons for the petition. They want JPJ and UVa. to explain why there is no video of Harrington, and they want them to release the video to the public so the public can judge for itself.

An anonymous person from George wrote on the site, "It would relieve suspicion that UVa./JPJ are hiding something. It may trigger someone's memory of the night. It may provide clues the investigation missed."

The spokeswoman for VSP, Corinne Geller, said there's no evidence in the security footage, and it's not relevant in the case at this time.

The petition site says this particular petition has a goal of receiving 1,000 signers.

~ Peter Frampton
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1938 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:31 AM »

Thank-you Trimm with your hard work keeping us updated.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1939 on: June 16, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »

http://findmorgan.com/family-blog/gil-harringtons-thoughts-from-june-16th-2010
Gil Harrington’s thoughts from June 16th, 2010
 On June - 16 - 2010

All 3 of us are struggling. We know Morgan is dead as we have peered into her empty eye sockets and felt the rough dry edges of her ribs. Despite those stark memories, little wisps of fantasy or denial persist. A tiny part of me feels as if the last 8! months have been a giant farce, a macabre game of hide and seek. This can’t be real. If I count to ten on base and say “All in come free, free, free” Morgan will materialize from some ingenious hiding place and life will go back to normal.

I know that won’t happen though, can’t happen. There is no going back. But I’m not loving the new normal. It’s too hard, so II don’t really want to move forward. I’m just stuck. What to do? I hope that time works its magic and things sort themselves out somehow. I pray for the peace to accept the unfathomable reality that someone could actually kill our Morgan.

I wish it was me.

2 4 1

~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.