April 25, 2024, 10:01:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somer Renee Thompson #1 10/19/09 - 10/29/09  (Read 766765 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1120 on: October 23, 2009, 09:54:33 AM »

Geraldo was a big talking man this morning on Fox    All these so's and he says Florida is strict about the zoning, and then went on to say about walking your kids home from school and everywhere. I realize that, and now Somer's mom has realized that in the most horrific way imaginable. Geraldo needs to shut his big trap already 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1121 on: October 23, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-10-23/story/all_sexual_predatorsoffenders_located_in_somer_thompson_slaying_evidence

All sexual predators/offenders located in Somer Thompson slaying; evidence collection continues
More than 800 leads being followed by Clay investigators

ORANGE PARK - Clay County investigators have found and cleared four of five sexual predators and offenders still being sought for questioning in Somer Thompson's slaying , and they are meeting with a fifth this morning, Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Mary Justino said.

Investigators have also returned this morning to a property at 1080 Gano Avenue in the area where the 7-year-old girl was last seen before vanishing Monday. They are collecting evidence from a house, large trash bin and the grounds. That effort began Thursday afternoon and now invovles members of the same team of FBI forensic investigators who've been seeking clues in a Folkston, Ga. landfill where Somer's body was found Wednesday.

The Clay County Sheriff's Office will hold a 10 a.m. press conference to release any new details in the case, which is still be actively worked by dozens of local, state and federal law enforcement officers.

"Even though this is five days later, we are not letting up," Justino said this morning. "Our agency is working feverishly today just as we will every day until we locate the person or persons responsible."

The Sheriff's Office has fielded more than 800 leads since Somer disappeared while walking home from Grove Park Elementary School with her brother and sister. The siblings said she separated from them after she and her sister had words about a fight Somer had earlier in the day at school.

The sibilings last saw her walking west on Gano Avenue at Solomon Street into a crowd of children. Another witness told deputies she saw Somer about a block from that spot at Grove Park Road.

The property being search is in the middle of the block where Somer was last seen. It has been vacant for several months due to a fire.

As for the area sexual predators and offenders, police have now talked to all but one of the estimated 90 that live within five miles, Justino said. They are meeting with the remaining person this morning.

Justino said she could not discuss whether there are any suspect in the case.

Read jacksonville.com and Saturday's Times-Union for updates.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1122 on: October 23, 2009, 09:58:59 AM »

Briefing is to be held momentarily:

http://www.news4jax.com/video/15505198/index.html
luvmyboys
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1123 on: October 23, 2009, 10:00:56 AM »

T no rose. Do you know if the medical examiner is gonna ever tell what happen to somer like the cause and what ever else has happen to her.
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1124 on: October 23, 2009, 10:01:54 AM »

T no rose. Do you know if the medical examiner is gonna ever tell what happen to somer like the cause and what ever else has happen to her.
That I don't know.
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1125 on: October 23, 2009, 10:05:40 AM »

most likely not til trial.

we may hear bits and pieces of info that can help us connect the dots, but with a child and a high-profile case, it's usually sealed.

looks like Mark Lunsford is there now.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1126 on: October 23, 2009, 10:07:49 AM »

we may hear bits and pieces of info that can help us connect the dots, but with a child and a high-profile case, it's usually sealed.

with the mom? if anyone, Mark will be able to provide some measure of comfort to the mom...at least he is someone who has been through something this awful and will a good person to talk to...imo..

jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1127 on: October 23, 2009, 10:08:28 AM »

Mary Justino is excellent.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1128 on: October 23, 2009, 10:08:31 AM »

They know the cause of death but will not discuss it because they want to preserve the integrity of the investigation/case.
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1129 on: October 23, 2009, 10:09:12 AM »

with the mom? if anyone, Mark will be able to provide some measure of comfort to the mom...at least he is someone who has been through something this awful and will a good person to talk to...imo..

yeah - it was captioned on the screen right now during the presser.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1130 on: October 23, 2009, 10:11:24 AM »

WHY wasn't that house checked immediately if that was where she was last seen?????

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
luvmyboys
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1131 on: October 23, 2009, 10:19:08 AM »

Really I thought they would tell. Because the sandra cantu case. Is that because it is in a different state?
JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #1132 on: October 23, 2009, 10:19:31 AM »

Wow, I don't know what to make of this case.  All I can say for sure is this Sean Patton guy has peaked my interest.  And digging with a digging machine?  This child wasn't missing long enough for someone to hide evidence so well that a digging machine would be necessary to uncover it.  Hmmm.  Unless, of course, someone was working at that home with a digging machine.  But I don't think we're dealing with someone very sophisticated here.  This person's days of freedom are numbered.  Hopefully his days among the living are limited too.

Here's what I don't get.  Everything we've read, including the police report, suggests that there were a lot of kids around.  There were at least 3 crossing guards.  In fact, the police report says that others lost sight of Somer when she got lost in a group of other kids.  And then she just vanished?  Or some stranger came out of the shadows and picked her up and took her and no one saw?  To believe that story, you need to believe Sean Patton.  Specifically, you need to believe that Somer never made it home.  And I'm just not there yet.  Assuming as we must that the narrative in the police report is accurate, his comments were, in a word, strange. Telling a 10 year old to go look for Somer?  And when she comes back empty handed, telling her to go back out and look better?  C'mon.  That's down right ludicrous.

Here's another thing.  Listen very closely to Somer's mom during yesterday's presser. She was asked a question something along the lines of "who would do this."  When she starts answering, she says something like, "I don't know.  It could be anyone.  It could be my.  It could  be . . ."  She says "It could be my" then stops.  Hmmmmm.  "My" who?  My friend Sean? 

Just sayin'. . .

jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1133 on: October 23, 2009, 10:19:41 AM »

this is interesting (opinion piece):

http://www.momlogic.com/2009/10/free-range_parenting_guru_reac.php

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
cece
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1134 on: October 23, 2009, 10:21:42 AM »

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/oct/23/na-schoolchildren-find-safety-in-numbers/news-metro/

Schoolchildren find safety in numbers

By SHERRI ACKERMAN

sackerman@tampatrib.com

Published: October 23, 2009

Somer Thompson

TAMPA - It's not the answer parents expect and it's not exactly realistic.

But whenever someone asks Nancy McBride to recommend when children can walk safely to and from school, she tells them never.

The question is coming up frequently this week for McBride, safety director with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children. The reason: Seven-year-old Somer Thompson was found dead Wednesday in a landfill after disappearing as she walked home from school near Jacksonville.

The case is a horrible reminder of how quickly things can go wrong, McBride said, and how vigilant parents must be, especially around schools.

"If I am a child predator or an offender, I am going to go where the kids are," said McBride, who works in West Palm Beach. "And that's where they are."

The Alexandria, Va.-based missing children's center has researched 3,500 attempted abductions since 2005 and found 36 percent occurred while children were going to and from school or school-related activities.

For Bryan Sullivan of Clearwater, who lives more than two miles from his sons' school, the best way to ensure they reach Belcher Elementary safe and sound is to walk with them.

"You never know what's out there."

Thirteen-year-old Clay Moore found out. The Manatee County boy was snatched at gunpoint in 2007 from his bus stop, tied up and left in a field. Clay managed to escape and call for help.

His kidnapper, Vicente Ignacio Beltran-Moreno, now 25, was sentenced last month to life in prison.

Some children such as 12-year-old Jennifer Odom of Pasco County never make it home. Jennifer disappeared after getting off her school bus in 1993. Witnesses reported seeing a light blue truck near her. Her body was found a few weeks later. Her murder remains unsolved.

In Somer's case, McBride said, a vehicle likely was involved because she disappeared so quickly, though investigators on Thursday had no leads. But that's what happened in 66 percent of the incidents McBride's agency reviewed, she said.

She hopes parents will use Somer's death as an opportunity to talk to their children about protecting themselves.

"Stay away from the car," she advised. "Don't give directions. Don't help find a lost puppy. You don't have to be polite."

Walk or run away, look for a trusted adult or older friend and tell authorities. But most of all, McBride said, if someone is trying to pull you into their vehicle, "Don't go willingly. Do everything in your power to get out of that situation. Once you get into that car, everything changes."

Abductions are still rare, child advocates say. Federal statistics estimate about 115 children are kidnapped each year. Walking to school is still safe as long as precautions are taken.

"We don't want parents to freak out," said Bevin Maynard, coordinator for Safe Kids, an agency affiliated with St. Joseph's Children's Hospital that helps prevent child injuries.

Safe Kids promotes the walking bus, an international program that urges at least one parent to walk with a group of students much like a car pool. It's healthier, decreases traffic and cuts down on the long waits in the pick-up line, Maynard said.

More children seem to be walking to school these days due to the economy and other factors, said Hillsborough County Sheriff's Deputy Michael Hudson, who oversees 253 school crossing guards.

Guards report unfamiliar cars or strange people hanging around school grounds. Still, parents need to make a plan with their children when it comes to walking to school, Hudson said.

"If something goes bad, they need to know where to go," he said.

Statewide, school bus service isn't available for children who live within two miles of their school unless there are hazardous conditions such as heavy traffic in their area.

In Hillsborough, with more than 190,000 students, about 90,000 ride the bus, said John Franklin, general manager of the school district's transportation department.

Bus drivers also are trained to report concerns, he said. They don't drop off kindergartners at bus stops unless they are with an older sibling or a parent or guardian is waiting for them.

"We err on the side of caution," Franklin said. "We bring them back to school and call their parents."

jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1135 on: October 23, 2009, 10:21:47 AM »

Really I thought they would tell. Because the sandra cantu case. Is that because it is in a different state?

well, cause of death was not released in Sandra's case.

I don't think it has much to do with the state - I think it has to do with two things for sure:

* the investigation is on-going.

* respect for the victim and victim's family

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Searching
Monkey Junky

Got my Anti Anthony Koolaid helmet on ,I'm ready!

« Reply #1136 on: October 23, 2009, 10:23:29 AM »

Good Evening Monkeys....real life has gotten in the way today..

I think the Patton guy....how do I say this...I think he is harmless as far as females go. I may be wrong but don't think so.
  LOL~I was thinking the same thing Monkey Devil!

me too...in fact I was going to post that on my last post in regards to the mom and him being friends...

you think so Darla? I didn't get that "vibe" from him. I could be wrong though..

Cookie, my hinky meter was up there on Sean because of the way things were being reported,like that he sent the other two children out to look for Somer etc. some of the things have been cleared up recently but I will wait until facts come out and see how I feel.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1137 on: October 23, 2009, 10:24:34 AM »

Wow, I don't know what to make of this case.  All I can say for sure is this Sean Patton guy has peaked my interest.  And digging with a digging machine?  This child wasn't missing long enough for someone to hide evidence so well that a digging machine would be necessary to uncover it.  Hmmm.  Unless, of course, someone was working at that home with a digging machine.  But I don't think we're dealing with someone very sophisticated here.  This person's days of freedom are numbered.  Hopefully his days among the living are limited too.

Here's what I don't get.  Everything we've read, including the police report, suggests that there were a lot of kids around.  There were at least 3 crossing guards.  In fact, the police report says that others lost sight of Somer when she got lost in a group of other kids.  And then she just vanished?  Or some stranger came out of the shadows and picked her up and took her and no one saw?  To believe that story, you need to believe Sean Patton.  Specifically, you need to believe that Somer never made it home.  And I'm just not there yet.  Assuming as we must that the narrative in the police report is accurate, his comments were, in a word, strange. Telling a 10 year old to go look for Somer?  And when she comes back empty handed, telling her to go back out and look better?  C'mon.  That's down right ludicrous.

Here's another thing.  Listen very closely to Somer's mom during yesterday's presser. She was asked a question something along the lines of "who would do this."  When she starts answering, she says something like, "I don't know.  It could be anyone.  It could be my.  It could  be . . ."  She says "It could be my" then stops.  Hmmmmm.  "My" who?  My friend Sean? 

Just sayin'. . .

it does seem strange that with this many people, kids milling around that no one saw anything...
If Sean is not around kids much, he maybe sent the sister back out to look, thinking that she had not looked that hard, he wasn't concerned at that point yet? dunno...it is strange that the day he is there, Somer goes missing...but could be just a cruel coincidence for this Sean, as I am sure that he is being looked at by LE...
He would not have had a lot of time to harm Somer though before the siblings got home, assuming that Somer rushed ahead and ran straight home...dunno...

jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1138 on: October 23, 2009, 10:26:51 AM »

Just sayin'. . .

I don't know, Jess.

Somer was upset.  For all we know she could have ducked behind something in the yard of that house to hide from the other kids.

The fact that they have, definitely, called that house the crime scene tells me that she didn't get home - she didn't run into Sean P. at any time where he could have done this.

but, I don't know.  It sounds as if they do have a LOT of evidence.

With regards to the digging machine - how far down below the refuse she would be would depend on where the container she had been put in by the killer was on the schedule for the landfill, most likely.  There may have been other trucks after the one that her body was in.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1139 on: October 23, 2009, 10:31:54 AM »

did I read here that the officers were behind each truck that went into the landfill from Somer's area? if so, wouldn't they be able to narrow the area down that she may have been murdered in from the truck pickup locations and from other garbage with names and such of the residents in the near vicinity? within a house or two I would imagine...this crime will be solved early I think...they will track it through this garbage found around Somer jmo...
justice for this little child please!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.