April 25, 2024, 06:37:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somer Renee Thompson #1 10/19/09 - 10/29/09  (Read 766760 times)
JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #1240 on: October 23, 2009, 04:23:36 PM »

From the 4:00 presser:

Have 900+ leads so far, followed up on all but 200, and are actively pursuing the 200

They are encouraged by the progress, but don't stop calling in tips.

Detectives are working around the clock.

Wont talk about specific evidence.  Wont say if they have DNA

Wont comment on reports of a white van because they will not comment on something that might become evidence and corrupt the investigation.

They do not have anyone in mind at this point as a suspect.

Sources close to ABC news (a reporter said) that the home they are searching is the murder scene.  LE will not confirm that, and said they are not that far along in the investigation yet to make that determination.

But LE acknowledged the home they are searching is a crime scene.

They are still searching the landfill and sifting through garbage.

They have not yet found Somer's back pack.

They are looking into whether transients or homeless people used the burned out home.

They have not narrowed down the dumpster where little Somer's body was likely placed.  But they have narrowed it down to what truck brought the garbage Little Somer's body to the landfill.

They are looking for evidence at the home that a body was there, which is why they are using the heavy equipment.  But she hasn't been told whether any such evidence has been found there.

They are not at liberty to speak about the cause of death.  She doesn't think the parents have been told cause of death.

Self edit.  I don't want those words to have come out of my mouth.  She isn't garbage.     

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1241 on: October 23, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »

O/T  Missing Cole County Missouri Girl Found Murdered

ST. MARTINS, MO (KTVI-FOX2now.com) - Police say they have found body of missing 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten. Authorities say she was found murdered in the woods. The Cole County, MO girl has been missing since Wednesday. The Associated Press says police have a juvenile is in custody.

Oh no.

Thanks for the update though.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1242 on: October 23, 2009, 04:28:35 PM »

JessStar:

Just noting how we took notes differently.

A good tag team, if I do say so myself.

SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1243 on: October 23, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »

jill, thanks for the post. Near the top of the report under weapons/tools,  it says hands, feet, teeth...does anyone have any idea what that might mean??

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #1244 on: October 23, 2009, 04:31:58 PM »

JessStar:

Just noting how we took notes differently.

A good tag team, if I do say so myself.

You know it, Brandi!

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #1245 on: October 23, 2009, 04:32:29 PM »

My notes:

Mary Justino gave the conference. Said there have been ~900 leads and all but ~200 have been followed up. They are working on those 200  now.

She stated the funeral arrangements. Somer's body still in GA with the coroner. Waiting on Diena's instructions.

They continue narrowing down the garbage but have not been able to tell where which has come from. No dumpster has been narrowed down as to where her body came from. They do know which truck brought it in though. The truck driver has been interviewed.

Backpack not found yet, to her knowledge.

Family has had a detective acting as a liaison with the family since Monday night. Diena already considers this person a family friend.

She asked people to sign up to Offender Watch on their website to be notified when someone moves into their neighborhood.

They are following up on someone listed on the police report.

My note
: I am guessing this is the RSO Clayton William Graham which I saw on the police report and thought it VERY odd he was listed there.

That is odd, also wan't he the one listed as absconded or am I losing it, because today it just shows a town in TX and no addy

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1246 on: October 23, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »

Jess and Brandi, thanks to both of you for the briefing notes

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1247 on: October 23, 2009, 04:33:33 PM »

jill, thanks for the post. Near the top of the report under weapons/tools,  it says hands, feet, teeth...does anyone have any idea what that might mean??

I think they mean the "weapons" available to Somer.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1248 on: October 23, 2009, 04:35:47 PM »

My notes:

Mary Justino gave the conference. Said there have been ~900 leads and all but ~200 have been followed up. They are working on those 200  now.

She stated the funeral arrangements. Somer's body still in GA with the coroner. Waiting on Diena's instructions.

They continue narrowing down the garbage but have not been able to tell where which has come from. No dumpster has been narrowed down as to where her body came from. They do know which truck brought it in though. The truck driver has been interviewed.

Family has had a detective acting as a liaison with the family since Monday night. Diena already considers this person a family friend.

She asked people to sign up to Offender Watch on their website to be notified when someone moves into their neighborhood.

My note
: I am guessing this is the RSO Clayton William Graham which I saw on the police report and thought it VERY odd he was listed there.

That is odd, also wan't he the one listed as absconded or am I losing it, because today it just shows a town in TX and no addy

Yes, he was:

I added the RED text. It is their definition of "absconded."

I also saw today that LE has "located" him and he is no longer "absconded." As of today, 10-23-2009.

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1249 on: October 23, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »

O/T  Missing Cole County Missouri Girl Found Murdered

ST. MARTINS, MO (KTVI-FOX2now.com) - Police say they have found body of missing 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten. Authorities say she was found murdered in the woods. The Cole County, MO girl has been missing since Wednesday. The Associated Press says police have a juvenile is in custody.

Wow-my God, what is going on with these monsters and our children.....plus you still have the missing Va Tech student, it;s enough to make a parent go insane with worry OR just never leave their children's side for a minute

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1250 on: October 23, 2009, 04:40:24 PM »

My notes:

My note

Yes, he was:

I added the RED text. It is their definition of "absconded."

I also saw today that LE has "located" him and he is no longer "absconded." As of today, 10-23-2009.

I think we are looking at a POI for sure.......

[
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1251 on: October 23, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »

Apparently, he was processed today and released.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1252 on: October 23, 2009, 04:49:51 PM »

Thank-you so much for the updates and notes from the press conference. 
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1253 on: October 23, 2009, 04:50:33 PM »

http://jacksonville.com/community/my_clay_sun/2009-10-23/story/cause_of_somers_death_kept_a_secret_funeral_tuesday_father_co
Cause of Somer's death kept a secret; funeral Tuesday; father coming from N.C.
Evidence collected from 2 scenes; 200 leads being followed; John Walsh offers help
Story updated at 4:40 PM on Friday, Oct. 23, 2009
ORANGE PARK — Clay County investigators know how Somer Thompson died but are keeping those details secret to protect the investigation, Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Mary Justino said today.

An autopsy done in Savannah Thursday has revealed the cause of death of the Orange Park 7-year-old, who disappeared Monday while walking home from school. Somer was initially identified through a birthmark and clothing she was wearing when her body was found Wednesday in a Folkston, Ga., landfill.

A public memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the First Baptist Church of Orange Park, 1140 Kingsley Ave. Graveside services and burial will be private, but there will be a procession from Kingsley Avenue to Blanding Boulevard to the property of Jacksonville Memorial Gardens.

A public viewing will be  at the same church from 5 to 8 p.m. on Monday.

Somer's mother, Diena Thompson, declined to talk to reporters when she came home from the funeral home about noon.

More than 50 Clay detectives and state and federal agents continue to chase leads in the case. About 900 tips have been called in, with more than 200 still being pursued, Justino said at a 4 p.m. press conference.

Justino said she has inquired with investigators about a registered sex offender whose name is listed on the incident report that was written after Somer was reported missing. The 36-year-old man was involved in some type of sex assault of a female minor in Texas in 1992, records show. It's unclear why his name appeared in the report about Somer, since there is no connection to him mentioned in the report narrative. The report was made public Thursday night.

Clay County investigators have found five sexual predators and offenders being sought for questioning in Somer's slaying and have no reason to believe they or the 85 others in the area were involved, Justino said.

Investigators returned today to a house at 1080 Gano Ave. in the block where Somer was last seen before vanishing Monday. They are collecting evidence from a house, large trash bin and the grounds. That effort began Thursday afternoon and now involves members of the same team of FBI forensic investigators who've been seeking clues in the Folkston landfill where Somer's body was found Wednesday.

Evidence removed from that scene and the Georgia landfill are being given top priority at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement laboratory in Jacksonville, Justino said.

Scores of people continue to visit and contribute to a growing memorial of stuff toys, signs and balloons outside the family's home on Horton Drive. A prayer circle formed about 1:30 p.m.

Somer's father, Samuel Thompson, and his sister, Laura Holt, are planning to come to Jacksonville this weekend from their home in North Carolina, Holt told the Times-Union this afternoon.

Thompson said he's been unable to make the trip because he was recently hurt in an accident and didn't have the money or transportation to come from his home in Graham, N.C. But Holt said a local business donated a handicap-accessible van to them today and they should be arriving Saturday or Sunday. Thompson and Somer's mother, Diena Thompson, are getting divorced.

"I don't know how I'm going to make it through it," Holt, 43, said of the funeral. "This was the most precious child."

Thompson, 41, was busy receiving the van and would comment later, Holt said. He is the father of Somer, her brother Samuel and their sister, Abigail, 10.

In hopes of generating more interest, Sheriff Rick Beseler plans to go on the television show "America's Most Wanted" Saturday night after being contacted by the host, John Walsh.

"Even though this is five days later, we are not letting up," Justino said this morning. "Our agency is working feverishly today just as we will every day until we locate the person or persons responsible."

Somer disappeared while walking home from Grove Park Elementary School with her brother and sister. The siblings said she separated from them after she and her sister had words about a fight Somer had earlier in the day at school.

The siblings last saw her walking west on Gano Avenue at Solomon Street into a crowd of children. Another witness told deputies she saw Somer about a block from that spot at Grove Park Road.

As for the area sexual predators and offenders, authorities have now talked with all 90 that live within 5 miles, Justino said. Those meetings have included property searches and discussion with family. Investigators have not ruled out anyone in the case, but have no reason to believe at this time that any are involved, Justino said.

Justino did not say if police had any suspects.

When asked about a traffic stop of a beat-up van made this morning on Kingsley Avenue just south of where Somer disappeared, Justino said she had no indication it was connected to the case. The vehicle was seen later at the Sheriff's Office substation in Orange Park.

luvmyboys
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1254 on: October 23, 2009, 05:03:19 PM »

Island.  Are you saying that they are prolly look at a guy named clayton graham
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1255 on: October 23, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=147122&catid=3
Sex Offender Worked on Renovation at Gano House
 Ann Butler     Created: 10/23/2009 5:02:00 PM    Updated: 10/23/2009 5:02:47 PM

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- Vinson Design and Build is the construction company working on the vacant home at 1080 Gano Ave. in Orange Park, according to Clay County public records.

James Vinson owns the company. According to the Florida Department of law Enforcement sexual offender website, Vinson's brother George Vinson, who works for his brother, is a registered sexual offender.

The Gano house is the last place witnesses saw Somer Thompson, 7, who vanished Monday on her way home from school. Police found the first-grader's body Wednesday in a Georgia landfill; the manner and cause of death have not been released.

According to the Clay County Sheriff's Office, there were no suspects in the case as of this afternoon.

Vinson's sister Alissa Barrs, who lives at the same address in Mandarin as her brother George Vinson, said her brothers have been questioned by police. She saidon Friday afternoon that her 33-year-old brother George Vinson worked at the Gano home about two months ago, but then found other work. ,

James Vinson and his business partner were interrogated for hours by detectives on Thursday, she said, and George Vinson was being questioned on Friday.

Police searched their Mandarin home Thursday and seized a truck and trailer from their property, she said.

First Coast News made two attempts to reach James Vinson. He said, "I don't want to talk about it" and hung up.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1256 on: October 23, 2009, 05:21:27 PM »

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1257 on: October 23, 2009, 05:23:15 PM »

Thanks Brandi   
MadMom
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1258 on: October 23, 2009, 05:26:13 PM »

I was going to ask if anyone had more information about the abandoned house.  Sounds as if there was current construction going on.  Was there running utilities?

Just wondering if perhaps the digging equipment could be used to dig up sewer/water lines for possible evidence.  ??
ScareyCarrie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1259 on: October 23, 2009, 05:27:44 PM »

I still dont see how with so many children walking home parents walking kids home or out and about waiting for kids or whatever, crossing gaurds, traffic and such the NO ONE saw a thing 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.