March 29, 2024, 07:55:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somer Renee Thompson #1 10/19/09 - 10/29/09  (Read 762307 times)
luvmyboys
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1720 on: October 27, 2009, 09:01:52 AM »

Well thanks for clearing it up for me. I thought I read yesterday that they had not released her. God bless somer and her family.
hollars07
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1721 on: October 27, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »

I don't mean to change the subject here but were you looking for Jason Hollars?  You found him.  What can I do for you?
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1722 on: October 27, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »

I don't mean to change the subject here but were you looking for Jason Hollars?  You found him.  What can I do for you?

Pertaining to this case?
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1723 on: October 27, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »

2 miles is way way way too far for kids to have to walk either to catch a bus or to get to school imo..!
too many things can happen to them on the way, as we have seen,  and just the fact that it is a long way, especially for little ones like Somer's age....we have the 1 mile rule here...most folks arrange car pools ...since we get really cold weather here, unlike Florida...
geez, these kids have to walk that far even in heavy rain etc...just doesn't seem right to me...even 1 mile is way too far imo! sometimes buses go right past where kids live but because they are closer than 1 mile, they don't stop for the kids ....what would it hurt to pick up every kid along the way? form bus stops of course so they were all together, not stopping every few houses...Some things are just too easy to fix in my way of thinking .....

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1724 on: October 27, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »

By the way, I've just banned Hollars07.  I think he was a spammer.  Yesterday I approved a bunch of new members and there's always some nuts in the bunch 
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1725 on: October 27, 2009, 10:07:36 AM »

By the way, I've just banned Hollars07.  I think he was a spammer.  Yesterday I approved a bunch of new members and there's always some nuts in the bunch 

Morning Klaas and all!
always some nutters for sure! although I didn't see any posts from that one...

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1726 on: October 27, 2009, 10:08:09 AM »

Thanks,Klaas.   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
peacelove76
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1727 on: October 27, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »

Forgive me if I am over-posting. But I thought I'd provide these 2 documents from the Clay County Schools Website.

If anyone would like to call the director, here is the info.....Bob Veres     Director of Transportation     (904) 284-6594

FAQ
How can I determine whether school bus service is available for my child?
The easiest way is to go to the school district website at www.clay.k12.fl.us and click on MAPNETWEB. All
you have to do is put in your address and the information is right at your finger tips. You can also call your
child’s school and ask.
I checked and discovered there is no bus service for my child. Why?
By state law, transportation is only required for those students who live at least 2.0 miles from their assigned
school. Clay County’s policy however allows transportation of students who live at least 1.5 miles from his/
her assigned elementary school or 2.0 miles from his/her secondary school.

I drove my car to the school, and my odometer indicates that the distance is over 2 miles. Why is there
a discrepancy?
Your home may be less than 2 miles walking distance from the school. According to State Board of Education
rules, the walking distance determines when transportation is required. Walking distance is measured
along the shortest available pedestrian path from your home to the school.
Does the “walking distance” rule prohibit the school district from transporting my child just because
he/she lives too close to the school?
Transportation from homes less than 2 miles away from school is at the discretion of the school district, although
it is NOT funded by the state. Again, Clay County’s policy provides transportation to elementary
aged children who live 1.5 (not 2) miles from their assigned school.
What about students with disabilities?
Most students with disabilities are eligible for transportation regardless of distance to school.
Are there other situations in which students, who live under 1.5 or 2.0 miles from their school, would
receive transportation?
Yes. Transportation is available to students who must travel along routes that would be subject to certain
hazards. These hazards are defined in state law on Hazardous Walking Conditions (Section 1006.23, Florida
Statutes, available at http://www.leg.state.fl.us.
Who is responsible for getting my child to and from school safely?
The responsibility for ensuring the safe arrival of children to and from school must be shared among various
segments of the community. Parties involved include: schools, parents, law enforcement agencies, city,
county or state traffic engineers, and sometimes the students themselves, depending on their ages and abilities.

My work schedule won’t let me drive or walk with my child to and from school. There is dangerous
traffic along the route and, to make matters worse, I have heard that my child would have to walk by
a sexual predator’s house. What should I do?
Sometimes family-friendly employers will provide flexible working schedules to parents who explain to them
that they have to drive their children to school. If that doesn’t work, there are various other options you may
want to explore, such as carpooling with trusted neighbors or other parents or organizing a parent-led walking
group.

Where can I get more information about student transportation?
If you need more information, you can visit the web site of the Florida Department of Education School
Transportation office at http://www.fldoe.org/transportation/ or call the office at (850) 245-9795
-----------

Dear Parent or Guardian,
The Clay County School Board Transportation Department’s mission is to provide safe,
efficient and effective transportation services for the students of Clay County. We are
honored to be entrusted with providing your child’s transportation.
Student safety is our number one concern. Therefore, we need to solicit your assistance
in reviewing and discussing proper school bus behavior with your student. Classroom
behavior is expected on the school bus. We all understand that driving in traffic today is
difficult and requires the driver’s complete attention. If the actions or behavior of a
student distracts a driver, they are jeopardizing the safety and welfare of the other
students on the bus. Clay District Schools take student behavior, on the bus, very
seriously. We can not ignore behavior that compromises the safety of others.
If a student misbehaves on the bus, the driver writes a disciplinary referral on said student
and it is turned in to the school for disciplinary action. The school administrator takes the
appropriate action, based on the Student Code of Conduct and the schools disciplinary
procedure. If a student’s bus riding privilege is suspended, they can not ride any Clay
District School bus.
School bus routes and stops are based on federal, state and local policies. While we
would like to honor all requests, obviously we must follow policy. Unfortunately, we can
not satisfy everyone’s request. The state considers any student that lives less than two (2)
miles from the school they attend to be in a walk zone and does not provide funding for
transportation services. Clay District Schools transports elementary school students living
greater than 1.5 miles from the school they attend. Residing within the “Walk Zone”
does not mean that your student must walk to school. The parent/guardian must decide
whether the student walks, rides a bike, is part of a car pool, a friend transports or
parent/guardian provides transportation. The only exception is if the walk path is
considered dangerous according to state or district policy. Many conditions that we as
parents consider to be hazardous are not hazardous by state or district policy.
Unfortunately, if the path isn’t hazardous by policy, it falls under parental responsibility.
Please remind your student of safety issues both on and off the school bus. It is
extremely important that they remain off the road and do not horseplay at their bus stop
location. They should report any safety issues to you, the school administrator, or law
enforcement. Actual bus concerns are to be reported to transportation. Once again,
classroom behavior is expected on the bus. Students should sit in their assigned seat and
Page 2
Bus Student Safety
refrain from any loud talking or yelling. Food and drinks are not permitted on the bus,
due to the possibility of a choking hazard. Cellular phones, MP3 players, video type
games, etc. are not permitted to be used, same as in the classroom. These items could
distract the student from hearing or being alert to driver instructions, in case of an
emergency. Also, please have your student avoid loose draw-strings, straps and similar
objects that could get caught on the bus door or within the loading area. No items, larger
than those that can be held on the students lap, are permissible on the school bus. These
items could become projectiles in the event of an accident. Once again, your student’s
safety is our main concern.
If the Transportation Office can be of assistance to you, please call 284-6523. Your
patience is respectfully requested, due to the phone lines being extremely busy, at the
beginning of the school year.
Thanks in advance for your assistance and cooperation!
BEST WISHES FOR A SAFE AND PRODUCTIVE SCHOOL YEAR!
Respectfully,
R.L. “Bob” Veres
Director of Transportation
Clay District Schools
 (904) 284-6594
-----------------

FYI, I couldn't find it on the site, but I have been told by a member of transportation that bus stops often are NOT within a subdivsion but on a main road because of time limitations.

"Revenge is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." Walter Savage Landor
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1728 on: October 27, 2009, 11:03:23 AM »

WELCOME TO ALL OUR NEW MONKEYS EXCEPT FOR THE SPAMMER! 

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1729 on: October 27, 2009, 11:18:11 AM »

Fanny, lol 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1730 on: October 27, 2009, 11:35:06 AM »

http://jacksonville.com/community/my_clay_sun/2009-10-26/story/large_crowd_expected_for_somer_thompsons_funeral

@Angelakimball123
Submitted by jvillenole on Tue. 10/27/2009 at 3:03 am

I grew up in that community, and walked from Grove Park Elementary to my house on Grove Park Drive the entire time I was in elementary school. Further, Orange Park junior High School is right up the road on Gano Avenue, and I walked that as well. In fact, OP Jr. High is closer to Somer's house than Grove Park Elementary. My best friend lived six houses down from where Somer lived on Horton Avenue. I lived in that neighborhood, and walked to school for eight years before busing to OPHS. I rode my bike around every street, played in every corner of the woods, and grew up in that neighborhood. What people not familiar with the neighborhood don't realize is that there is very heavy traffic on Gano Ave during that time of the day, not just because of Grove Park Elementary, but also because of OP Jr. high. It is absolutely not off the "beaten path." There are crossing guards (my sister was one for 10 years) at Grove Park drive and Gano, which is about 50 yards from the house which was searched, and the OPAA (Orange Park Athletic Association) ball fields where I played baseball as a kid. There are literally hundreds of kids walking during that time of the day, as well as steady car traffic. Knowing what I know about where I grew up, something just doesn't sit right about the whole situation. Again, I think when it is all said and done, we will all be shocked.
Kat_Gram
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1731 on: October 27, 2009, 11:51:01 AM »

I am still stuck on the vacant house and whoever " Kyle " was.
But, in the Sandra Cantu and Jessica Lunsford case, none of those perp were on anyone's radar. And we were shocked. 
Blink34
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1732 on: October 27, 2009, 12:07:18 PM »

I am still stuck on the vacant house and whoever " Kyle " was.
But, in the Sandra Cantu and Jessica Lunsford case, none of those perp were on anyone's radar. And we were shocked. 

I agree Kat, and I was not encouraged by the Sheriffs comments this morning on the today show about it will be a long, drawn out process or words to that effect. What I did admire very much, was his concern for the community and did not mince words they have a dangerous child murderer on the loose.
penny for your thoughts
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1733 on: October 27, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »

hey klaas was this jason hollars?
http://www.myspace.com/154653972
heart was asking about him in the haleigh thread:
http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=6083.120
not sure who he is but i knew i had heard his name before...
Searching
Monkey Junky

Got my Anti Anthony Koolaid helmet on ,I'm ready!

« Reply #1734 on: October 27, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »

Hi Monkeys. I was asked to get a list together of areas of interest that you may want photos of,so that I can pass it along to someone who will be in the area today,so if there are any,please let me know so I can compile it and pass it on.
Thanks

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1735 on: October 27, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »

Coverage of Sommer's funeral. The Anthonys showed up. 

http://www.wftv.com/news/21436229/detail.html

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1736 on: October 27, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »

Yeah, likely him.  I asked him a question and he didn't respond so I banned him.  He should have posted in the Haleigh thread. 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1737 on: October 27, 2009, 02:19:31 PM »

http://jacksonville.com/community/my_clay_sun/2009-10-26/story/large_crowd_expected_for_somer_thompsons_funeral

@Angelakimball123
Submitted by jvillenole on Tue. 10/27/2009 at 3:03 am

I grew up in that community, and walked from Grove Park Elementary to my house on Grove Park Drive the entire time I was in elementary school. Further, Orange Park junior High School is right up the road on Gano Avenue, and I walked that as well. In fact, OP Jr. High is closer to Somer's house than Grove Park Elementary. My best friend lived six houses down from where Somer lived on Horton Avenue. I lived in that neighborhood, and walked to school for eight years before busing to OPHS. I rode my bike around every street, played in every corner of the woods, and grew up in that neighborhood. What people not familiar with the neighborhood don't realize is that there is very heavy traffic on Gano Ave during that time of the day, not just because of Grove Park Elementary, but also because of OP Jr. high. It is absolutely not off the "beaten path." There are crossing guards (my sister was one for 10 years) at Grove Park drive and Gano, which is about 50 yards from the house which was searched, and the OPAA (Orange Park Athletic Association) ball fields where I played baseball as a kid. There are literally hundreds of kids walking during that time of the day, as well as steady car traffic. Knowing what I know about where I grew up, something just doesn't sit right about the whole situation. Again, I think when it is all said and done, we will all be shocked.
Thank-you for posting this, I so agree, and has been weighing on my mind since I read the activity that would be around that time of day in the neighborhood. Something does not sit well with me either, I have some thoughts swirling around, but I guess like everyone else will wait and see what LE does, and hopefully an arrest very soon.
MunkeyMunk
Scared Monkey

MONAVIE- Drink it. Feel it. Share it.

« Reply #1738 on: October 27, 2009, 02:36:51 PM »

Sorry if it's been asked already...Blink, any more on the breakin situation, talked about in your last article??
penny for your thoughts
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1739 on: October 27, 2009, 02:52:31 PM »

Yeah, likely him.  I asked him a question and he didn't respond so I banned him.  He should have posted in the Haleigh thread. 
hhhhmmm now i want to know who he is... heart never elaborated on who he was just asked if any of us monkeys had come across his name and then his post hi i heard you were looking for me here i am...
he is from tn is why i am curious...
sorry for the off topic bump this to the haleigh thread if you wish... if he requests membership again maybe let him in... for a long time here when i began i didn't realize you had to refresh the page to see new posts ... maybe he didn't know you asked him a question
sorry again for the o/t
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.