April 23, 2024, 10:26:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somer Renee Thompson #1 10/19/09 - 10/29/09  (Read 766617 times)
higherhopes
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #620 on: October 21, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/breaking/news-article.aspx?storyid=146992&catid=17       Sherriff to Suspect.....We are coming to get you......
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:03:03 PM by klaasend » Logged

I don't know, I was at work....I don't know, I was sleeping........Where is Haleigh???????
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #621 on: October 21, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »

To everyone who has made a post about changing the laws, and to those that agree, please remember that the Supreme Court is going to consider the constitutionality of that portion of the Adam Walsh Act that permits the feds to civilly commit sex offenders that pose a continuing danger to children beyond their jail sentences. It is vitally important that this law be upheld. Justice Sotomayor can very well be a swing vote on this issue. In her life as an appellate judge, she gained the reputation of being soft on and sympathetic to criminals. So proponents of this legislation may be facing an uphill battle. If ever there was a time for "a call to arms" it is now. Write your legislators, state and federal, and voice your support for it. While it may not affect the judiciary, it will send a very clear message of the will of the people.

Its time to raise our voices above all including those 9 that preside on our US Supreme Court & not stop until we have a resounding result for VICTIMS RIGHTS & SAFETY and not settling for anything less.  Its time to silence bleeding hearts with twisted ideology, their position becomes moot when every day we lose a child to the very animals they protect & empathize with.   Protect our children, dam it!

Write your senators, congressman/woman, governors, judges and send them the horrors we witness every day with the statistics we are all too aware of asking each and every one of them why being concerned with Level II and up sexual predators/human trafficking animals rights should  trump the welfare & safety of our children.  Locally, get involved and encourage your school system and law enforcement agencies to host safety & awareness clinics for the community.   If you are involved in extra curriculum activities with your children such as sports organizations, another perfect opportunity to encourage public awareness & safety tips.  Another aspect of these repetitive crimes is women being educated on the men they get involved with & what signs they need to pay attention to because these predators love to seek out women with children that are naive, undereducated and/or compromised in some fashion that makes them vulnerable to being victimized along with their children.  One day at a time, we can make a difference & save as many as we can collectively.
Capp I have a very stupid question, but how can we raise our voices to the Supreme Court? Aren't they "supposed" to say whether or not a certain law is Constitutional? I know that the judges are swayed by their ideology, but will they listen to me if I had something to say? TIA JSM   

Yes, JSM your voice would be heard.   For any judge from local all the way to the US Supreme Court, our voices matter  - what we cannot and should not do is try to persuade a presiding judge on a particular case, in the interest of justice knowledge of someone trying to influence a judge could harm the case.   
Thanks Capp and Jess, I never thought a Supreme court judge would listen to "the people".

I thought it was about the Constitutional issues of a case that is brought before them.

What I am trying to say/ask, the Supreme Court "should" judge on Constituionality (not sure if that is a word) not on popular opinion. Or at least that is what I was taught 100 years ago in high school. If I am wrong I am sorry.

Please don't get me wrong, I think sex offenders, child killers, and others should not have a place in society. I won't say where I think they should go, but Guantanamo isn't good enough for child killers. JMO JSM

Back to lurking

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #622 on: October 21, 2009, 09:00:21 PM »

JSM, I'll take a shot at answering your question. The answer is YES, they'll listen because the belief that the three branches of government are separate, independent, and serve to "check" each other is a fallacy. If the people rise up, and elected officials get afraid of their constituents, you'll be amazed at how quickly those they appoint will follow suit. Because if they don't, its the elected officials that will pay.
BUT Jess, a Supreme court judge isn't voted in by the people. They are nominated by whomever is in power. It is the elected officials not the Supreme Court Justices we have to holler at, it is the elected officials and the people we have in power now are going to not help, because they are more worried about the perp's rights, instead of the victim of a crime. JMO JSM
I see exactly what you are saying, I'm extremely pessimistic about all of this. I wrote to Barbara Boxer after Sandra Cantu's memorial, needless to say she did answer until months later, and I didn't believe a word she said. I deleted the email, cursed, and do hope for the best, but with all these budget cuts, do you really think children's issues are going to be on the top of the list. I don't, imo.

And WTF is wrong with that picture?   No, I disagree persistence loudly and steadily must prevail...ask Mark Lunsford or Adam Walsh if their efforts were in vain, they'd say no.   We have to continue the fight to close the gaps that still exist.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #623 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:20 PM »

JSM, don't be patronizing! Smile it is about the constitutionality of the issues before them. But their job is to interpret the constitution. Every case that has ever come out of the supreme court is that court's interpretation of the constitution. Take, for example, the alleged "constitutional right to privacy."  Did you know that nowhere in the constitution does such a right exist?  But years ago, a supreme court interpreted certain of its provisions as conveying such a right. It's that interpretation that changes.  That's why you see later courts overruling prior court rulings on the very same issues. Because the community will and demands change.

Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #624 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:50 PM »

To everyone who has made a post about changing the laws, and to those that agree, please remember that the Supreme Court is going to consider the constitutionality of that portion of the Adam Walsh Act that permits the feds to civilly commit sex offenders that pose a continuing danger to children beyond their jail sentences. It is vitally important that this law be upheld. Justice Sotomayor can very well be a swing vote on this issue. In her life as an appellate judge, she gained the reputation of being soft on and sympathetic to criminals. So proponents of this legislation may be facing an uphill battle. If ever there was a time for "a call to arms" it is now. Write your legislators, state and federal, and voice your support for it. While it may not affect the judiciary, it will send a very clear message of the will of the people.

Its time to raise our voices above all including those 9 that preside on our US Supreme Court & not stop until we have a resounding result for VICTIMS RIGHTS & SAFETY and not settling for anything less.  Its time to silence bleeding hearts with twisted ideology, their position becomes moot when every day we lose a child to the very animals they protect & empathize with.   Protect our children, dam it!

Write your senators, congressman/woman, governors, judges and send them the horrors we witness every day with the statistics we are all too aware of asking each and every one of them why being concerned with Level II and up sexual predators/human trafficking animals rights should  trump the welfare & safety of our children.  Locally, get involved and encourage your school system and law enforcement agencies to host safety & awareness clinics for the community.   If you are involved in extra curriculum activities with your children such as sports organizations, another perfect opportunity to encourage public awareness & safety tips.  Another aspect of these repetitive crimes is women being educated on the men they get involved with & what signs they need to pay attention to because these predators love to seek out women with children that are naive, undereducated and/or compromised in some fashion that makes them vulnerable to being victimized along with their children.  One day at a time, we can make a difference & save as many as we can collectively.
Capp I have a very stupid question, but how can we raise our voices to the Supreme Court? Aren't they "supposed" to say whether or not a certain law is Constitutional? I know that the judges are swayed by their ideology, but will they listen to me if I had something to say? TIA JSM   

Yes, JSM your voice would be heard.   For any judge from local all the way to the US Supreme Court, our voices matter  - what we cannot and should not do is try to persuade a presiding judge on a particular case, in the interest of justice knowledge of someone trying to influence a judge could harm the case.   
Thanks Capp and Jess, I never thought a Supreme court judge would listen to "the people".

I thought it was about the Constitutional issues of a case that is brought before them.

What I am trying to say/ask, the Supreme Court "should" judge on Constituionality (not sure if that is a word) not on popular opinion. Or at least that is what I was taught 100 years ago in high school. If I am wrong I am sorry.

Please don't get me wrong, I think sex offenders, child killers, and others should not have a place in society. I won't say where I think they should go, but Guantanamo isn't good enough for child killers. JMO JSM

Back to lurking

Yes, they uphold the Constitution, however, there are precedents set in modern day society that sometimes cause reflection if our forefather's may have not had any clue that something should be considered...Roe vs Wade comes to mind.

mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #625 on: October 21, 2009, 09:06:10 PM »

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/breaking/news-article.aspx?storyid=146992&catid=17       Sherriff to Suspect.....We are coming to get you......

Maybe LE needs to go to Putman County after they finish there ....I like their attitude.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #626 on: October 21, 2009, 09:07:22 PM »

Just wanted to clarify from my previous post, I did not mean that this mother was in anyway responsible or didn't care for her children.  I hope it didn't sound that way, I just got on a roll about moi.

No, and I understand what you are saying, I also could run around the neighborhood with all my friends, life was very different, but there was still evil lurking, whether we realized it or not. Only thing I remember growing up in the 60's was don't take candy from a stranger  but sure not a whole lot more, granted I grew up in a small town.
higherhopes
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #627 on: October 21, 2009, 09:12:27 PM »

Maybe LE needs to go to Putman County after they finish there ....I like their attitude.
Yep, maybe they could help find HaLeigh.......put a little fear in someone over there...

I don't know, I was at work....I don't know, I was sleeping........Where is Haleigh???????
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #628 on: October 21, 2009, 09:13:09 PM »

Interesting you bring up Roe v Wade, Capp. The very foundation of that opinion was the "elusive" constitutional right to privacy- an example of judicial legislation or, as Justice Sotomayor put it in that video clip we saw on the news during the confirmation process, "legislating from the bench."

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #629 on: October 21, 2009, 09:20:15 PM »

JSM, I'll take a shot at answering your question. The answer is YES, they'll listen because the belief that the three branches of government are separate, independent, and serve to "check" each other is a fallacy. If the people rise up, and elected officials get afraid of their constituents, you'll be amazed at how quickly those they appoint will follow suit. Because if they don't, its the elected officials that will pay.
BUT Jess, a Supreme court judge isn't voted in by the people. They are nominated by whomever is in power. It is the elected officials not the Supreme Court Justices we have to holler at, it is the elected officials and the people we have in power now are going to not help, because they are more worried about the perp's rights, instead of the victim of a crime. JMO JSM
I see exactly what you are saying, I'm extremely pessimistic about all of this. I wrote to Barbara Boxer after Sandra Cantu's memorial, needless to say she did answer until months later, and I didn't believe a word she said. I deleted the email, cursed, and do hope for the best, but with all these budget cuts, do you really think children's issues are going to be on the top of the list. I don't, imo.

And WTF is wrong with that picture?   No, I disagree persistence loudly and steadily must prevail...ask Mark Lunsford or Adam Walsh if their efforts were in vain, they'd say no.   We have to continue the fight to close the gaps that still exist.
But that does seem what it is like, budget cuts galore, I don't expect much action here in California, that I can guarantee you. I know about the budget cuts in this state, and I don't believe for a second that children's issues are on top of the list. I never said Mark Lundsford, John Walsh, and many others work was in vain, I admire their work very much, but reality is what reality is.
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #630 on: October 21, 2009, 09:20:22 PM »

JSM, I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. I know supreme court justices are appointed. All federal judges are appointed. My point is that if appointed judges don't listen to the will of the people, the elected officials that appointed them will pay because their constituents will vote them out. And elected officials don't want that. So your message gets through to the appointed judiciary by way of your elected officials. A good example of this is the Federal Sentencing Guidelines. There you have an example of the legislative branch performing a truly judicial function-sentencing. Something that before the guidelines was left solely to the discretion of the federal, appointed judiciary. But the people rose up, tired of weak federal sentences, tired of sentence disparity, and the elected legislative branch heard the message loud and clear and listened.
I'm sorry I didn't know about the Fed Sentencing Guidelines were from voters. Thanks.  an angelic monkey

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #631 on: October 21, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »

Every law on the books is ostensibly from the voters. Remember "No taxation without representation?"
Smile

Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #632 on: October 21, 2009, 09:27:38 PM »

Somer Renee Thompson's father: Birthmark on body found in landfill matches daughter's
http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2009-10-21/story/somer_renee_thompsons_father_birthmark_on_body_found_in_landfill_match

Heart
JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #633 on: October 21, 2009, 09:30:09 PM »

Nrcg, I read an article a day or two ago that confirms exactly what you are saying. That is, the biggest threat to child protection initiatives is the lack of funding. The Adam Walsh Act is probably the single most comprehensive child protection act on the books. It does everything we'd wish it would do. But it's dramatically underfunded, as are the FBI's enforcement activities

Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #634 on: October 21, 2009, 09:33:15 PM »

The following article is a must read.  It will blow your mind.

Why would parents allow their preteen children to walk the streets unsupervised when the dangers that lurk are common knowledge.

Janet

++++++++

Dense Population of Sex Offenders in Fla. Case Is Alarmingly Typical
Density of Offenders Near Home of Somer Thompson, 7, Missing Since Monday, Is Not Unusual
By RUSSELL GOLDMAN
Oct. 21, 2009

There are so many sex offenders living within blocks of where 7-year-old Somer Thompson vanished Monday that when their homes are represented by pins on a digital map they create a cluster so thick it overlaps in places.

Law enforcement officials have interviewed at least 75 registered sex offenders who live within a 5-mile radius of the second grader's home on Orange Park, Fla., but state officials say there are some 161 convicted offenders in that area.

Experts say despite what appears to be an extraordinary concentration, the number of local offenders is actually quite typical for an area so close to a major city. Most people, they say, have no idea just how many sex offenders are living in their neighborhood.

"In spite of appearing it to be a lot, that's about average," said Ron Book, a Florida lawyer who lobbies for tougher sex-offender legislation. "Some areas have hundreds of offenders."

According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which maintains the state's sex offender registry, there are some 82 sex offenders living with a 3-mile radius of Somer's home in Orange Park, a suburb of Jacksonville, and 161 registered offenders within a 5 mile radius ....

ENTIRE ARTICLE:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/150-sex-offenders-live-steps-home-missing-fla/story?id=8881428

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #635 on: October 21, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »

Nrcg, I read an article a day or two ago that confirms exactly what you are saying. That is, the biggest threat to child protection initiatives is the lack of funding. The Adam Walsh Act is probably the single most comprehensive child protection act on the books. It does everything we'd wish it would do. But it's dramatically underfunded, as are the FBI's enforcement activities
Thank-you, I know that I came out sounding angry, and I am. I keep ranting this to myself with all these cases, and I'm sorry it is hard for me to have a lot of hope. But I see the budget cuts where I live, and where they want to toss out a bunch of prisoners, because Ca can't keep them in the prisons, overpopulated, blah, blah. I'm just frustrated by all of this. I have great admiration for many people that do what they can for these issues, but if the darn money isn't there. And I want to thank-you for all you have done for Nevaeh, I always check to see on her case, and I am so sad, maybe soon  an angelic monkey
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #636 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »

Janet, I so agree, but what I think happens is people figure, well all these kids are walking home together, and nothing will happen. I'm sure Somer's mom thought she was with her siblings, I don't know, but I wouldn't argue that a child that age shouldn't walk home alone. But at the same time, her mom thought she was walking home with her siblings and friends. I feel horrible for that woman right now, and I'm sure until the day she dies, she will forever torture herself 
Cappuccino
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #637 on: October 21, 2009, 09:45:38 PM »

But that does seem what it is like, budget cuts galore, I don't expect much action here in California, that I can guarantee you. I know about the budget cuts in this state, and I don't believe for a second that children's issues are on top of the list. I never said Mark Lundsford, John Walsh, and many others work was in vain, I admire their work very much, but reality is what reality is.

Never implied you did either sweetie.   It is just that I am of the mindset & always have been that settling on what appears to be isnt the way I roll.  Sometimes you just have to push beyond the present day realities & fight for what is right regardless of the obstacles.   My stomach literally turns on the concept that childrens' issues are not paramount but you are right in this selfish, twisted world we live in this indeed is the case all too often...in my way Ive just always tried to affect change despite that reality. 

Its been another very difficult day, Im gonna go breathe before I implode with anger causing a "Capplosion" none of us need.    a warm hug of comfort to everyone...good nite.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

« Reply #638 on: October 21, 2009, 09:47:12 PM »

Thanks, nrcg, for the kind comments about Nevaeh. Our efforts are continuing full steam ahead. Our poster has prompted a good number of tips. We're really happy about it. We will find justice for Nevaeh. It's our promise to her.

islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #639 on: October 21, 2009, 09:54:17 PM »

I saw Somer's body had been found while at work today and had to just go home and go to bed, an ernourmous sadness fell over me after I remembered her mother's gut wreching plea yesterday. I think we all knew she was in heaven, yet hearing the details make it so much worse I pray for this family and what they will have to endure in the future. Death of  loved one leaves you in shock at first (having to do all the funeral planning etc), and you find yourself waking up and going to bed months later sobbing at the finality of it all. Now, not only will this family have to endure those feelings but also a trial when this monster is found and sentenced to death (I pray). God be with them and keep them strong during their journey.

an angelic monkey

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.