March 29, 2024, 02:17:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Clarify - Barack Obama  (Read 7259 times)
nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 10:00:52 AM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Nonesy,

I love you from the top and bottom of my heart. In fact, I often refer to what happened to your husband as my sole reason for wanting this damn war to end. You have brought it home to me what happens to our soldiers even after they have been released from the service. I wonder how many other men have died like Rick. When the news reports that hundreds of soldiers have died today, it's more than I can comprehend. But when it boils down to the single soldier I knew about, it's Rick. And he went through hell with the after effects of the first gulf war.

Yet, while I do not agree with you about Barack Obama, I still love you and care for you.

Louise,

thank you for your post, I adore you too and would never wish political debate to separate us in any way. I blame both parties for the abandonment that Rick suffered with his illness from our government, and I went to Hillary's web Q & A last night to ask just what she proposes to do regarding our veterans. I haven't gotten an answer either but she's holding another one tonight, and another tomorrow night so I will continue to go and ask the question.

As for Obama I think he is capitalizing upon a furor of religious fervor in our country. I would not support any candidate who is. It should be about good government, not just beating one's chest about social change too. Charisma is great but many a poor politician and CEO came into power via charisma as well.

So my hope is like tyler's, that we all make good decisions regarding our leadership. Decisions based upon what is good for the whole of our democracy, not what is good for reparations or past misdeeds of a century ago or more.

Not being a Hillary fan I can't believe I am quoting her today but I will. Last night she related we need a president who can survey where we are currently with both foreign and domestic policy and make the right decisions within that. She hedged on the national news when asked what she thought of Obama's suitability as a candidate. I'll say what I suspect she will eventually, he doesn't have enough experience to be in this race and John Edwards might not either.

It's great to have politicians who can inspire voters, great to have politicians who can get behind worthy causes within our society, great to have politicians who can identify with the common man and his plight, and great to have politicians who can tackle Harvard and come out on top.

My question is are those the only qualifications we need for our President? I don't think so, I think we need lots of experience and track record to make an accurate evaluation.

Hugs back to you Louise, I am hopeful our country realizes with another terror alert just last night regarding al jihad plotting to use college students for another attack - that we realize this is a very important moment in our history when our votes matter very, very much.

I continue to stand with the girl.
pdh3
Monkey Junky

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 11:52:03 AM »

None - I do agree with you about the importance of this election. Not that each prior election did not merit our careful attention, but the issues we face right now are daunting. We have serious issues in both foreign and domestic policies, and everyone needs to be as informed as possible before voting.
Voting is a civil right, but also a responsibility.

What's done in the dark will always come to light.
mrs. red
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 09:30:02 PM »

Quote from: "Tylergal"
We get the governance we deserve, the ones we voted for.  We elect them and we live with them and it is none of my business whom anyone wishes to vote for.  I just hope all who vote get the governance they deserve.

and I hope that when we vote, as Phd3 and None have said, that we are all WELL informed on their beliefs....

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Author: Anatole
Dihannah1
Monkey All Star Jr.

God watch over our children and keep them safe.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 10:18:24 PM »

Your all right, no matter what political affiliation, stay informed!  There is still almost 2 yrs. for that big day and we all know so many things will change by then, or not.  Hopefully we will be well on our way of Iraq, but not before the job is done.  I just finished watching the State of the Union address and waiting for Dems responses. It will be interesting to see what Obama has to say.

God has FINAL Judgement!<br />
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 02:09:48 AM »

And let's not lose sight of the fact that it was HILLARY and not the "right wing hit job" that brought the question of Obama's formative years being spent in the home of a hard-line Muslim in the person of his stepfather.  

So often, we assign to those blame they do not deserve when it suits our purposes.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

Murder & Crime on Aruba Summary http://tinyurl.com/2nus7c
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 02:13:26 AM »

There are always extremists out there for every election.  Remember George Wallace was actually shot five times and survived for his segregationist POV so that can swing both ways.  At least we do not have this actual precedent in presidential campaigns based on race.

Be that as it may, I think today we have far better security and laws to protect candidates and their campaigns than in the day and age of actual assassinations.  I do feel any candidate is far more safe today than ever before thanks to steps taken by Homeland Security among other things.

PERSONA NON GRATA

All posts reflect my opinion only and are not shared by all forum members nor intended as statement of facts.  I am doing the best I can with the information available.

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 08:20:39 AM »

Quote from: "Anna"
And let's not lose sight of the fact that it was HILLARY and not the "right wing hit job" that brought the question of Obama's formative years being spent in the home of a hard-line Muslim in the person of his stepfather.  

So often, we assign to those blame they do not deserve when it suits our purposes.

It will be interesting to see what emerges from Hillary regarding Obama as this race heightens, won't it? As she said she is in this race to win, so it will become abundantly clear what not just opinions of him are but also information we as voters cannot access as readily as politicians on the inside.

I continue to stand with the girl.
Anna
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 03:53:10 AM »

Yes, indeed, None, it will be.  And every time I come over here to post, Louise is quoting her friend the Republican saying something absolutely just awful about Bush.  This time it was that he was insane, etc.  Maybe I should start to quote my friends the Democrats and what they are saying about Obama in the same vein.

But I really don't have to even do that for Hillary will see to it that all the dirt on the other candidates gets out and in Spades!  It's just her style.   Wink

Unlike many on the left, I never vote for the man.  I vote for the platform he supports.  No matter what they say, every candidate of a major political party swears allegiance to that party platform if he receives that party support.  The man may fool you but the platform is much easier to pin down on the specifics.  Without supporting that platform, the support is not given.

So if a candidates says he does not support a certain plank of the platform, he is simply lying.  Otherwise, he would not have the support of that party.  

I do hope that this will be in the back of the minds of most as they select the candidate of their choice in future elections.

PERSONA NON GRATA

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 08:21:19 PM »

Anna,

You wrote: And every time I come over here to post, Louise is quoting her friend the Republican saying something absolutely just awful about Bush.

Anna, you are incorrect. I want to clarify for you that I quoted my Republican policewoman friend ONE TIME only.

Please explain why you said EVERY time you come over here to post, I am quoting my Republican friend. I did it ONLY ONCE.

Tapping my feet and waiting for you to read back and realize your mistake. I don't like anyone twisting my words into something I never said.

There rules pertaining to a positive discussion. There are certain things that should never be said during a serious discussion. Those words are: you always do that and you never do that.

I highly resent your suggestion that everytime you come over here to post, that I am quoting my friend. That has never happened. I quoted her once and would very much appreciate if you would publicly retract what you said.

I am not in any mood to argue, but you what you said is incorrect. Please acknowledge.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 05:57:31 PM »

I truly do not care what belief a candidate holds, whether he/she be of Christian (Catholic or Protestant), Muslim, Buddhism, Atheism, etc (as long as not Satanic). What I do care about is whether the candidate is a fanatical who insists that his/her belief is what all must believe. Fanaticism is dangerous, no matter what religion.

A's Fever
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 02:02:58 AM »

Quote from: "justinsmama"
I truly do not care what belief a candidate holds, whether he/she be of Christian (Catholic or Protestant), Muslim, Buddhism, Atheism, etc (as long as not Satanic). What I do care about is whether the candidate is a fanatical who insists that his/her belief is what all must believe. Fanaticism is dangerous, no matter what religion.

I totally agree, Justins.  Good post.
Pages: « 1 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.