April 27, 2024, 07:24:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabeth Olten #1 10/22/09 - 10/29/09  (Read 543159 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1000 on: October 26, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »

COLE COUNTY -- Cole County Prosecutor Mark Richardson Monday talked about the Elizabeth Olten case and the charges the suspect faces.

He said the fact that the sheriff wants first degree murder charges shows that the sheriff believes Elizabeth's murder was premeditated.

Before the 15 year old can be formally charged there must first be a certification hearing to determine if the teen will stand trial as an adult.

If the teen is tried as an adult, it would be held in open court and evidence will be made public.

Missouri law does not allow the death penalty for anyone younger than 16 years old facing a first degree murder charge.

The maximum sentence would be life in prison without parole.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=367984
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1001 on: October 26, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Police served a warrant at a neighbor's house just hours after finding the body of a 9-year-old Missouri girl.

The Cole County Sheriff's Department served the warrant Friday night just several homes south of where Elizabeth Olten lived in St. Martins. Records don't indicate the type of warrant, and the department refused to comment Monday.

Authorities are seeking a first-degree murder charge against a 15-year-old. Police previously said the suspect lived near Elizabeth but did not release the teen's name or gender.

A person who lives in the vicinity and spoke on the condition of anonymity said Monday a 15-year-old girl lives at the house where Elizabeth was last seen. The individual didn't want to be identified to avoid jeopardizing the investigation.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=367986
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1002 on: October 26, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »

if they are trying not to taint their jury pool, it's not going to work.

It looks like most everyone knows the name of the 15 year old - and God only knows if the rumors floating around are just stuff that's been made up.  I

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1003 on: October 26, 2009, 06:32:32 PM »

Elizabeth Olten funeral arrangements

COLE COUNTY -- Funeral plans for Elizabeth Olten have been scheduled.
Both the visitation and funeral are open to the public.

A visitation is planned Tuesday evening from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Houser-Millard Funeral Home on East Main in Jefferson City.

The funeral is set for Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Concord Baptist Church on West Truman Blvd.

Elizabeth's body will then be transported by horse-drawn hearse to Hawthorn Memorial Gardens.

Expressions of sympathy can be made to the Missouri Missing organization in memory of Elizabeth Olten.

Viewers have asked if Elizabeth's father and brother, Dale Olten Sr. and Dale Olten Jr., would be released from prison to attend Elizabeth's funeral.

Both men are behind bars at Northeast Correctional Center in Bowling Green, Mo. on drug and burglary charges.

We checked with the Missouri Department of Corrections.

A spokesperson there says department policy says offenders are not allowed to be released for funerals or visitations.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=367988
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1004 on: October 26, 2009, 06:39:19 PM »

School board meets to discuss Olten's death

The Jefferson City School Board held an emergency meeting at 10 a.m. to discuss how to handle Elizabeth's death.

"[We want] to reassure our community that we're gonna do whatever is necessary to take care of our students and our families through this time of grief,” Superintendent Brian Mithchell said.

Confidential law enforcement sources and neighbors of Elizabeth said the 15 year-old murder suspect is a female who lived on Elizabeth’s street and a student at Jefferson City High School.

Investigators close to the case won't go on record with that information.

Board president Doug Whitehead asked immediately to make the session closed.

"I would like to make a note that we have added one item to the agenda in the executive session to discuss personnel,” Whitehead said.

Clearly, however, the purpose of the session was to discuss the circumstances surrounding the death of Elizabeth Olten.

"We've consulted our legal counsel ahead of time to verify that,” Mithchell said. “Certainly, our community understands the sensitivity of this issue and the students involved. I'm quite confident that we had energy right and grounds to conduct that meeting in closed session.”

Jefferson City Police Captain Mike Smith attended the meeting. He said later he was there simply to discuss plans for dealing with the fallout from Elizabeth’s death through the school resource officer program.

The blogosphere is already buzzing with rumors of ritualistic activity connected to the murder. District officials flatly refused to address such speculation.

"That's one of the reasons why we wanted to meet today, to make sure that children and families understand that our schools are safe, that this is an isolated incident,” Whitehead said.     

Superintendent Mitchell noted again that special counselors are available at the elementary school attended by Elizabeth Olten.

There is also information about counseling on the school district's website

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=367997
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1005 on: October 26, 2009, 06:40:06 PM »

something just occurred to me - if it's too morbid, mods please remove.

I just had a sudden thought about time of death - if she could've been alive while the search was going on.

Jill that is something that bothered me...when the LE made a statement Friday or Sat. they said something about this happening about the time that she was being reported missing or something to that effect. Made me think maybe she was still alive while they were looking for her. This is just so confusing..... How she got Elizabeth into the woods, killed her and concealed her so well in that short amount of time and got back home without being seen. Just seems impossible to me.

http://www.kctv5.com/video/21408339/index.html

Here is the full press conference where Sherriff White talks about finding Elizabeth.
Prior to this presser the  Sheriff constantly said there were "no signs of foul play" and at one point even said they were not sure she was even in the area anymore.  That has to be one very smart 15 year old to outwit the Sheriff.  Had the other juvenile not given LE the written notes who knows where the investigation would be today.

Or a very stupid, sheriff, manipulating the situation, trying to deflect suspicion from his town, and knowing which side of his bread is buttered on! Saying "no signs of foul pay" and saying they were not sure she was even in the area anymore early on. She wasn't a smart 15 yr old. Somebody just didn't want to face the truth. If it is true that the juvenile investigators wanted to interview the juveniles early on and the sheriff refused, he was more derelict in his duty. This case has been screwed up from the beginning. They knew almost from the beginning Elizabeth HAD to be in that patch of woods, and that the last people to see her were juveniles. They wouldn't have turned away so many volunteers unless they knew the area where her body was.

The authorities have left this whole thing hanging out there since Wednesday instead of taking the bull by the horns and doing what needed to be done, including the school board. I will be willing to bet that every kid in the area know exactly where Elizabeth's body was hidden because they have been there or heard about it. It is deplorable that another day has gone by, and they have not taken the opportunity to take the reins and stop the rumors and innuendo. It is CYA time in St Martins and JC. I doubt if we will ever know the full truth. JMO

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1006 on: October 26, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »

Superintendent Mitchell doesn't think counsellors should be available at the High School where the POI attended and a teacher is not there today as he committed suicide?  Yet they did add the item to the agenda to discuss personnel.
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1007 on: October 26, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »

Superintendent Mitchell doesn't think counsellors should be available at the High School where the POI attended and a teacher is not there today as he committed suicide?  Yet they did add the item to the agenda to discuss personnel.

Superintendent Mitchell is another idiot way over his head. WTH, they have a POI of a murder one charge, and a teacher that committed suicide, and they don't need counselors at the school? What planet is he on?

Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1008 on: October 26, 2009, 06:53:14 PM »

Unbelievable, I'm going to throw this out there, maybe because of who Elizabeth's father and brother are, their efforts weren't as stellar as say another child who went missing who had law abiding, prominent parents?
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1009 on: October 26, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »

Superintendent Mitchell is another idiot way over his head. WTH, they have a POI of a murder one charge, and a teacher that committed suicide, and they don't need counselors at the school? What planet is he on?

AND, there is buzz about ritualistic killing - no info from law enforcement, but they expect the citizens to believe that this is an isolated event?

they are screwing up, imo.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1010 on: October 26, 2009, 06:58:12 PM »

Unbelievable, I'm going to throw this out there, maybe because of who Elizabeth's father and brother are, their efforts weren't as stellar as say another child who went missing who had law abiding, prominent parents?

Exactly my point. The local posters have pointed out the pecking order on the blogs. JMO

jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1011 on: October 26, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »

it's so weird.

On one hand, they appear to be protecting the POI's family.

On the other hand, Sheriff makes big announcement regarding 1st Degree Murder charges.

And seasoned law enforcement representative knows that if you are not going to tell the people anything, that means don't tell them ANYTHING.

You don't tell them a piece of it, clam up and then let disgusting rumors fly which will most definitely taint the jury pool.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1012 on: October 26, 2009, 06:59:07 PM »

AND, there is buzz about ritualistic killing - no info from law enforcement, but they expect the citizens to believe that this is an isolated event?

Ritualistic killing, wow 
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1013 on: October 26, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »

Exactly my point. The local posters have pointed out the pecking order on the blogs. JMO

Not maybe so much who Elizabeth's father and brother are, but who are the POI's foster parents. I misread your post. Sorry. 

MunkeyMunk
Scared Monkey

MONAVIE- Drink it. Feel it. Share it.

« Reply #1014 on: October 26, 2009, 06:59:51 PM »

I just had a sudden thought about time of death - if she could've been alive while the search was going on.

Jill that is something that bothered me...when the LE made a statement Friday or Sat. they said something about this happening about the time that she was being reported missing or something to that effect. Made me think maybe she was still alive while they were looking for her. This is just so confusing..... How she got Elizabeth into the woods, killed her and concealed her so well in that short amount of time and got back home without being seen. Just seems impossible to me.

Here is the full press conference where Sherriff White talks about finding Elizabeth.
Prior to this presser the  Sheriff constantly said there were "no signs of foul play" and at one point even said they were not sure she was even in the area anymore.  That has to be one very smart 15 year old to outwit the Sheriff.  Had the other juvenile not given LE the written notes who knows where the investigation would be today.

Or a very stupid, sheriff, manipulating the situation, trying to deflect suspicion from his town, and knowing which side of his bread is buttered on! Saying "no signs of foul pay" and saying they were not sure she was even in the area anymore early on. She wasn't a smart 15 yr old. Somebody just didn't want to face the truth. If it is true that the juvenile investigators wanted to interview the juveniles early on and the sheriff refused, he was more derelict in his duty. This case has been screwed up from the beginning. They knew almost from the beginning Elizabeth HAD to be in that patch of woods, and that the last people to see her were juveniles. They wouldn't have turned away so many volunteers unless they knew the area where her body was.

The authorities have left this whole thing hanging out there since Wednesday instead of taking the bull by the horns and doing what needed to be done, including the school board. I will be willing to bet that every kid in the area know exactly where Elizabeth's body was hidden because they have been there or heard about it. It is deplorable that another day has gone by, and they have not taken the opportunity to take the reins and stop the rumors and innuendo. It is CYA time in St Martins and JC. I doubt if we will ever know the full truth. JMO

FM, I totally agree!!!
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1015 on: October 26, 2009, 06:59:56 PM »

Why first degree murder charge for Olten murder suspect?

By Newsdesk KRCG
Monday, October 26, 2009 at 4:56 p.m.

COLE COUNTY -- KRCG talked with Cole County Prosecutor Mark Richardson Monday about the Elizabeth Olten case.
He said the fact that the sheriff wants first degree murder charges shows that the sheriff believes Elizabeth's murder was premeditated.

Before the 15 year old can be formally charged there must first be a certification hearing to determine if the teen will stand trial as an adult.

If the teen is tried as an adult, it would be held in open court and evidence will be made public.

Missouri law does not allow the death penalty for anyone younger than 16 years old facing a first degree murder charge.

The maximum sentence would be life in prison without parole.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=367984

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1016 on: October 26, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »

I wondered that myself and hope to god that has not been the case.  Elizabeth was a 9 year old girl and bad decisions and actions of adult members of her family should have no bearing on finding her and seeking justice.
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1017 on: October 26, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Police served a warrant at a neighbor's house just hours after finding the body of a 9-year-old Missouri girl.

The Cole County Sheriff's Department served the warrant Friday night just several homes south of where Elizabeth Olten lived in St. Martins. Records don't indicate the type of warrant, and the department refused to comment Monday.

Authorities are seeking a first-degree murder charge against a 15-year-old. Police previously said the suspect lived near Elizabeth but did not release the teen's name or gender.

A person who lives in the vicinity and spoke on the condition of anonymity said Monday a 15-year-old girl lives at the house where Elizabeth was last seen. The individual didn't want to be identified to avoid jeopardizing the investigation.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=367986

And why are we just finding out on Monday evening that a warrant was served on Friday night? There is local media there.......

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1018 on: October 26, 2009, 07:02:43 PM »

yup, yup and yup!   
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1019 on: October 26, 2009, 07:02:59 PM »

Ritualistic killing, wow 

If it was a ritualistic killing, then there are other juveniles involved. JMO

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.