March 28, 2024, 09:50:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somer Renee Thompson #2 10/29/09 - 4/26/10  (Read 724231 times)
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1080 on: December 16, 2009, 12:51:17 AM »

Hi all.  I'm really surprised this case has not yet been solved.  I thought for sure this was going to be an easy one.  Perhaps it's true that they are just waiting to receive all of the forensics back.  I hope and pray that's the case.  There are far too many 2009 unsolved cases.  Far far far too many.

Hi Jess!  And I sooooooo agree!  Am really surprised myself.  Seems that this and sev other cases have just gone hush-hush in the media and with LE.  Wondering a LOT about that. 

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1081 on: December 18, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »

Since things are so slow in here right now, thought this was interesting.  Might be one reason that one guy thought to look in the dumpsters/dump sites.

It seems last July, in Orange Park, a 2 yr old was found in a dumpster and rescued before it was too late.  Has a pic of the dumpster next to the article.  A 2 yr old couldn't (IMO) climb in by himself.  The comments under this news article are interesting. 

Am wondering........  could there be someone tossing kids into dumpsters in that area?  Could this have been done with Somer and no one heard/knew about it til it was wayyyy too late?

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/news-article.aspx?storyid=140820

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1082 on: December 20, 2009, 08:54:48 PM »

Wyks..anything is possible!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1083 on: December 21, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »

More than 200 Ga. sex offenders can't be found

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
ATLANTA — The state of Georgia has no idea where to find child molester Michael Jerome Madison.

It can't locate Frederick Charles Zimmerman, either. Or Charles Eugene Mickler. Or nearly 250 other sex offenders from metro Atlanta.

Nearly one-tenth of the area's registered sex offenders who are not in jail are listed as "absconded" --- meaning that law enforcement authorities have lost track of them, despite a strict law intended to keep such offenders under close supervision and away from potential victims.

Nevertheless, some say the long list of missing offenders --- rapists, kidnappers and molesters, as well as people convicted of engaging in consensual sex acts when they were minors --- should cause no alarm.

"The people on the registry are not the ones to be concerned about," said John Bankhead, a spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which maintains the sex offender registry. "It's the ones who live right up under your nose. Stranger-on-stranger sex crimes do happen. But most cases involve people the victim already knows."

Studies commissioned by the U.S. Justice Department suggest that children are more likely to be sexually assaulted by family members, baby sitters or authority figures such as teachers or coaches than by strangers. One analysis found that in 60 percent of cases in which boys were the victims and in 80 percent involving girls, the child knew the assailant.

Missing offenders worry advocates for the victims of sex crimes. Monitoring, they say, deters offenders from putting themselves in places and situations where they might go after new victims.

"It is a problem when you don't know where they're living," said Stacie Rumenap, president of Stop Child Predators, a Washington-based group that has advocated for a nationwide offender registry. "If we can't monitor a sex offender, how do we know what they're doing? Law enforcement has to know where the sex offender is to be able to do their jobs."

A controversial registry
Georgia's sex offender registry, known for its restrictive rules governing where offenders can live, work or even loiter, has been controversial since its creation in 1994. This fall, authorities forced a group of homeless sex offenders to leave a makeshift camp behind an office park in Marietta --- one of the few places, the men said, they could live without breaking the law.

A challenge to the Georgia law is under way in U.S. District Court in Atlanta. Lawyers for a woman convicted for sex acts she performed as a minor contend that the state imposes unconstitutionally vague and arbitrary restrictions on sex offenders. The law forbids sex offenders from living within 1,000 feet of schools, churches, parks and day care centers, as well as from working or volunteering in any "area where minors congregate."

That, the woman contends, could be anywhere.

The registry contained 17,743 names at the end of November, including almost 3,400 who were incarcerated, according to the GBI. Just 17 percent of the registered offenders live in the counties surrounding Atlanta. But of the 441 absconded offenders statewide, 57 percent come from the Atlanta area.

The difficulty in keeping track of offenders shows that the registry has done little to protect potential victims, said Sara Totonchi, associate director of the Southern Center for Human Rights, an Atlanta-based legal advocacy organization that filed the federal lawsuit.

"The residency restrictions are an enormous law enforcement drain that don't yield the sort of results you would expect," Totonchi said. "We're expending all of these law enforcement resources on something that's not proven to make a difference."

Under the law, anyone convicted of a criminal offense against a minor or of what is described as a "dangerous" sex crime is required to register each year with the sheriff of the county in which he or she lives. Failing to register, providing inaccurate information, or not staying in touch with authorities can result in a prison sentence of 10 to 30 years.

About 300 Georgia inmates are serving time for failing to register as sex offenders, according to the state Department of Corrections.

Enforcing the law primarily falls to sheriffs and to probation or parole officers. It is not always a priority for law enforcement authorities, said the GBI's Bankhead.

"It's kind of difficult to keep up with," he said.

The self-registration requirement "speaks to the irony of the law," Totonchi said. "It's purportedly a law enforcement tool. But the impetus on complying with it is in the hands of the people on the registry."

Attempting to comply landed one offender in prison.

Derrick Todd Dunn, 33, of Calhoun, was on the sex offender registry for a 1996 conviction for a statutory rape he committed as a teenager. In January, he went to the Gordon County sheriff to report he had moved to a new address. He had been evicted, he told deputies, and then spent six nights in a motel waiting for his new place to be ready.

The deputies arrested him on the spot for failing to register his temporary address at the motel. A judge then revoked Dunn's probation on the statutory rape conviction and sent him to prison. He is scheduled for release in November 2012.

"He was between residences," Dunn's lawyer, Chris Paul, said. "That's what's really disturbing. He dutifully went to the sheriff's' office, and on the basis of his admission they arrested him. This is really discouraging for offenders trying to comply."

Last month the Georgia Supreme Court rejected Dunn's appeal.

Out of sight
Just as the registry's creation did not erase the specter of sexual predators poised to attack new victims, the threat of incarceration has not stopped hundreds of offenders from simply dropping out of sight.

In some cases, they comply with the law for years before disappearing.

Michael Madison, for instance, was convicted of child molestation and cocaine possession in Cobb County in 2000. In 2004, after serving most of a five-year prison sentence, Madison registered with the Cobb County sheriff as a sex offender. Madison, now 54, provided an accurate address to authorities for almost three years --- but hasn't been heard from since the summer of 2007.

Charles Mickler, 62, went on the sex offender registry in January 2008, three months after he was convicted in Fulton County for sexual battery. Sixteen months later, authorities discovered Mickler's address in Sandy Springs was no longer valid.

Others flee almost immediately. Frederick Zimmerman, 62, of Decatur, remained at a verified address less than one month after he was released from prison in July 2006 after serving two years for aggravated sodomy.

Beyond the absconders, dozens of sex offenders from the Atlanta area are listed as homeless or are registered at addresses that would be difficult to locate.

For example, a 47-year-old convicted of aggravated assault with intention to rape now reports his address as the space beneath the bridge where I-20 crosses Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard in Atlanta.

Hundreds more offenders are registered at addresses that cater to transient populations, such as shelters for homeless people and drug and alcohol rehabilitation facilities. In downtown Atlanta at the end of November, 67 sex offenders said they lived at the same shelter on Trinity Avenue. In DeKalb County, 21 offenders were registered at the same motel on Moreland Avenue.

The accuracy of the registry's addresses most often comes into play when authorities canvass offenders following kidnappings or other serious, high-profile crimes.

For instance, police checked on about 450 offenders in North Georgia and in nearby North Carolina and Tennessee after a Blairsville woman, Kristi Cornwell, 38, disappeared while walking near her home on Aug. 11. South Georgia offenders were among the 150 interviewed in October after the body of a 7-year-old Florida girl was discovered in a Folkston landfill.
Neither canvass yielded clues or identified suspects.

"It's something you do" in such cases, said Bankhead, the GBI spokesman. "You try to eliminate the obvious."

http://www.correctionsone.com/news/1981234-More-than-200-Ga-sex-offenders-cant-be-found/

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1084 on: December 24, 2009, 02:20:04 PM »

Hoping you all have a wonderful holiday and hoping Somer receives justice.

Jerseygirl345
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1085 on: December 24, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »

Happy Holiday to all my SM friends.. I pray the New Year will bring us justice for those who are no longer with us but will always be remembered in our hearts .. Answers to those who are missing and we will keep their names out there and not be forgotten until they are found.

God Bless You All...

Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1086 on: December 27, 2009, 12:05:11 AM »

In addition to raising money for Relay for Life, the team donated money to the family of slain Clay County girl Somer Thompson and coloring books and toys to Wolfson Children's Hospital, Give Kids the World and the American Cancer Society's annual Christmas party.

http://jacksonville.com/community/my_nassau_sun/2009-12-26/story/nassau_notes_hula_heros_win_relay_for_life

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1087 on: December 27, 2009, 01:02:43 AM »

First Christmas without Somer Thompson

Reported by: Catherine Varnum
Last Update: 12/25 9:16 pm

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- Somer Thompson's family is celebrating their first Christmas without their little girl.

Somer Thompson was murdered in October as she was walking home from school. Her killer hasn't been found. This is the first Christmas her family is celebrating without her. But strangers are leaving messages of hope for the family. They're on the website rememberingsomer.com.

Diena Thompson kept hoping her daughter would come home safe. But she got the news no mother wanted. Somer's body was found in a Georgia landfill days after she went missing. Diena attended dozens of memorials, clinging to friends and family for support.

In an interview with Action News in November she said, "I'm a single mother and made $14 an hour. I did what I had to do and now I have to live the rest of my life feeling like I played a role in this."

On the website people from around the world are sending their prayers to Diena Thompson. Christmas Eve someone wrote, "I wanted to let you know that my family and friends are thinking of you and your family during this holiday season. I know it will be difficult for you all as you miss Somer so much. All I can say is she is having the best christmas of all as she celebrates with the one who is the reason of the season after all!"

Lisa in Australia says "Our purple decorations on our tree remind me of Somer. Don't forget to give your other children lots of hugs and kisses, they don't want to lose their mum and sister."

Diena wears purple all the time. It was Somer's favorite color. She still has a hole in her heart that only Somer can fill.

Police aren't giving us many details about how the investigation is going. They only say progress is being made and they are still working this case, even over the holidays. If you have any information that could lead the arrest of Somer's killer, you can call the tip line at  1-877- 227- 6911 or email your tips to cart@claysheriff.com.

http://fwix.com/jacksonville/share/aff49b74f3/first_christmas_without_somer_thompson

Heart
wtxyz
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1088 on: December 27, 2009, 07:46:34 AM »

I think that somer had been watched for a few day's before she was attacked, and the perp saw the chance when she was alone. also there is a sex offender that lives within 300yds of the thompson home. pecan st.
wtxyz
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1089 on: December 27, 2009, 08:11:25 AM »

google earth orange park fl. find debarry ave, click street veiw, click the camera's untill you see a little girl&boy walking on the sidewalk. that looks like somer and her brother on the way home from school. google dont give the date of these photo's..notice the pink on top of her backpack.
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1090 on: December 29, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »

I just wish that the forensics and other evidence pinpointed the person(s) responsible for this horrific crime and that he/she/they were behind bars by now.

Something else to wish for in the new year, I suppose.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1091 on: December 30, 2009, 04:19:33 PM »

I just wish that the forensics and other evidence pinpointed the person(s) responsible for this horrific crime and that he/she/they were behind bars by now.

Something else to wish for in the new year, I suppose.

me too Brandi...I thought this case would have been solved right away...sadly, justice for Somer has not happened yet..the perv is still on the loose..

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1092 on: January 05, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=150290&catid=3
Parents Frustrated Somer Thompson's Killer Hasn't Been Caught
 Taren Reed  Jackelyn Barnard  Ann Butler     Created: 1/4/2010 5:18:01 PM    Updated: 1/4/2010 6:04:50 PM

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Life has moved on in Somer Thompson's neighborhood, but some things have changed.

Purple ribbons still hang on Somer's school, and Crime Stoppers signs, asking for new information, are everywhere. Somer's memorial, still in front of her Orange Park home, is smaller but the neighborhood has not forgotten the hunt for justice.

"It would be nice for them to get the people that did this," said 10-year-old Cole Bello.

Cole said his life has changed forever.

"We just can't go running down to my friend's house. We have to wait for somebody to come out here and watch us," he said.

The Bellos have a few new rules and the kids said that's just fine with them. "I'm scared if I'm out front by myself, they might grab us," said 8-year-old Grace Bello, Cole's sister.

Grace and Cole's dad, Aaron Bello, said if his kids are outside, he is with them.

Two and a half months after Somer was murdered, Bello said parents are still on edge. "I think there is a sense of frustration that we can't figure out who has done this," said Aaron Bello.

Testing is still underway at the lab on a large amount of evidence, police said.

The Clay County Sheriff's Office said it is not unusual that the results are taking so long to come in because of the amount of evidence and the type of testing.
"I know the longer it goes on, the less likely we are gonna find out who did it," said Bello.

Police said they haven't lost hope. The case is far from being cold and detectives are still focused on finding Somer's killer.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1093 on: January 05, 2010, 09:06:50 AM »

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/northeast_florida/010410-somer-investigation
4,474 leads in Somer Thompson investigation

Updated: Monday, 04 Jan 2010, 3:36 PM EST
Published : Monday, 04 Jan 2010, 3:36 PM EST

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - The Clay County Sheriff’s Office said Monday they have received 4,474 leads in the abduction and murder of Somer Thompson.

In a written release the sheriff's office says a large quantity of evidence remains and investigators are still waiting on test results to come back and are hopeful the results will point them in the right direction to find Somer's killer. They also say the time it is taking to get the results is not uncommon due to the amount of evidence submitted to the lab and the type of testing being conducted.

The 7-year-old disappeared on her way home from school in Orange Park October 19. Her body was discovered in a Georgia landfill 50 miles away, where trash from her neighborhood was dumped.
The Clay County Sheriff’s Office says the investigative team, known as "Team Somer", is staying in communication with Somer's mother, Diena Thompson and her family, keeping them up to date on the work being done.

Agents from the FBI, FDLE, U.S. Marshal Service, and NCIS are continuing to help in the investigation with agents assigned to the team.

There is a $45,000 reward for information leading to the killer through First Coast Crime Stoppers.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1094 on: January 05, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »

http://www.bloggernews.net/123453
CCSO: Updates in the Somer Thompson Murder
Posted on January 4th, 2010
by Jan Barrett in Society and Culture, crime
Read 182 times.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1095 on: January 05, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »

http://wokv.com/localnews/2010/01/search-for-somers-killer-far-f.html
Local News      
Search For Somer's Killer Far From Stalled
By
Adam Kirk - Morning News Producer
@ January 5, 2010 5:54 AM Permalink | Comments (0)
The Clay County Sheriff's office says they're still waiting on lab results they hope will lead to Somer Thompson's killer.

Detectives collected what they describe as a large quantity of evidence at both the garbage dump where the 7-year-old's body was found, and a vacant home near Somer's school.

They're also following up on nearly 4,500 tips they've received since the little girl went missing while walking home from school in Orange Park in October.

~ Peter Frampton
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1096 on: January 05, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »

Local News      
By
The Clay County Sheriff's office says they're still waiting on lab results they hope will lead to Somer Thompson's killer.

Detectives collected what they describe as a large quantity of evidence at both the garbage dump where the 7-year-old's body was found, and a vacant home near Somer's school.

They're also following up on nearly 4,500 tips they've received since the little girl went missing while walking home from school in Orange Park in October.

Back on 10-27: "Analysis of evidence sent to forensics labs has not been finished and will take time," Beseler said.

Guess he wasn't kidding. Just seems like a very long time to have to wait for results that might keep a killer off the streets to me.

JessStar
Monkey Junky

Please Help Find Justice for Nevaeh

« Reply #1097 on: January 06, 2010, 04:18:37 PM »

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/northeast_florida/010410-somer-investigation
4,474 leads in Somer Thompson investigation

Updated: Monday, 04 Jan 2010, 3:36 PM EST
Published : Monday, 04 Jan 2010, 3:36 PM EST

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - The Clay County Sheriff’s Office said Monday they have received 4,474 leads in the abduction and murder of Somer Thompson.

In a written release the sheriff's office says a large quantity of evidence remains and investigators are still waiting on test results to come back and are hopeful the results will point them in the right direction to find Somer's killer. They also say the time it is taking to get the results is not uncommon due to the amount of evidence submitted to the lab and the type of testing being conducted.

The 7-year-old disappeared on her way home from school in Orange Park October 19. Her body was discovered in a Georgia landfill 50 miles away, where trash from her neighborhood was dumped.
The Clay County Sheriff’s Office says the investigative team, known as "Team Somer", is staying in communication with Somer's mother, Diena Thompson and her family, keeping them up to date on the work being done.

Agents from the FBI, FDLE, U.S. Marshal Service, and NCIS are continuing to help in the investigation with agents assigned to the team.

There is a $45,000 reward for information leading to the killer through First Coast Crime Stoppers.

About NCIS:  NCIS is the Department of the Navy's primary law enforcement arm. NCIS investigates all major criminal offenses (felonies)—those crimes punishable under the Code of Military Justice by confinement of more than one year—within the Department of the Navy.

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1098 on: January 08, 2010, 03:56:09 PM »

Local News      
By

Back on 10-27: "Analysis of evidence sent to forensics labs has not been finished and will take time," Beseler said.

Guess he wasn't kidding. Just seems like a very long time to have to wait for results that might keep a killer off the streets to me.

No kidding Brandi, seems like justice's wheels are turning very slowly. I feel badly for the family, it must be so hard to not only cope with the fact she was murdered but to not have justice yet. Hopefully soon the killer will be found and arrested
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1099 on: January 13, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »

NEW BLINK POST:

http://blinkoncrime.com/2010/01/12/blink-on-crime-exclusive/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.