April 19, 2024, 04:27:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somer Renee Thompson #2 10/29/09 - 4/26/10  (Read 726440 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1100 on: January 14, 2010, 08:35:11 AM »

http://jacksonville.com/community/my_clay_sun/2010-01-13/story/fears_for_somer_thompson%E2%80%99s_safety_expressed_a_year_before_her
Fears for Somer Thompson’s safety expressed a year before her slaying
Social worker's warning a year before slaying was later shown to be without basis

* By Jim Schoettler
    * Story updated at 6:10 AM on Thursday, Jan. 14, 2010
ORANGE PARK — A social worker at Somer Thompson’s school warned about the danger of the 7-year-old girl’s walks from school a year before a killer snatched her on her way home, state records show.

The unidentified worker told the Department of Children and Families that Somer and her three siblings got lost at least once walking from Grove Park Elementary School and were found in woods with a stranger. The worker indicated that Somer’s mother needed to pay more attention to the children’s safety and get them into day care at the school.

But a two-week probe by Children and Families concluded the allegation about the children getting lost and being found with a stranger had no basis. It also found Diena Thompson properly arranged for her children to be taken to and from school, about a mile away, and that it was acceptable for them to walk home when necessary. Day care was suggested to her as an option, but not a requirement.

The case was closed without any findings of wrongdoing, according to the records provided to the Times-Union last week.

Thompson continues to grieve over Somer’s Oct. 19 disappearance and slaying, which remains unsolved. She said that she has always cared for her children’s well-being and allowed them to walk home on rare occasions when she worked and couldn’t get them a ride. Somer disappeared on one of those days. Her siblings have received rides every day since, Thompson told the Times-Union Wednesday.
“I’m always second-guessing myself as far as them walking home, but I did what I could as a single mother with absolutely no help from anyone else,” said Thompson, 35. “Children should be able to walk home without being afraid of being attacked by a monster.”

Children and Families spokesman John Harrell said he couldn’t disclose by law who made the report and whether the agency had fielded other reports from Somer’s school. The school’s principal, Lynda Braxton, declined to comment.

Harrell said the case was handled properly.

“Our investigator did the right thing and went above and beyond ... by checking to make sure if these services were being followed up on,” Harrell said.

The social worker called the agency’s abuse hot line on Oct. 9, 2008.

“There is overall concern for the safety and well-being of the children,” the investigator wrote, based on the social worker’s statement.

Thompson told the investigator she was unaware of her children ever getting lost in the woods or being found by a stranger. Somer and her older brother told the investigator they never got lost. Somer’s twin, Samuel, said he got lost once, but gave no details. Somer’s sister was never asked. Thompson said a family friend had been transporting the children and that would continue.
Thompson also told the investigator the school suggested the children attend an off-campus YWCA day-care program. But she said it ended before she could pick them up from work and she couldn’t afford the cost of picking them up late.

Thompson was later told the day-care program was at the school and that school officials were trying to arrange for Somer to attend for free or at a reduced rate. She said she would consider the option, though the children weren’t sent.

A Children and Families supervisory review of the case on Oct. 12 - three days after the initial report - states that the “risk is low” and that “the children are old enough to walk to school.” It also states that if Thompson can’t afford day care, she shouldn’t be placed in a “financial bind.”

Two weeks into the case, Thompson reiterated to the investigator that her friend was helping with transportation, “but on occasion the children still do walk,” the records show. The family friend told the investigators she had been transporting the children.

The investigator concludes that the “risk remains low” and that Thompson had been very cooperative.

“No services necessary at this time,” the report said.
Thompson said she is hopeful the public will not to use the report to criticize her parenting ability, a problem she had to endure from some people after Somer’s death.

“Walk a day in my shoes,” she said.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1101 on: January 14, 2010, 09:35:14 AM »

Thanks Trimm 
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1102 on: January 14, 2010, 05:47:27 PM »

Maybe the school will now provide safe transportation to those students who have to walk home? I don't think any child should ever walk to and from school, but if a parent is working and cannot find a ride what is she/he supposed to do? In our school district we have an option to pay for bussing, if you are low income you pay less and there are family discounts. Maybe this school could consider something like that. They need a solution, blaming isn't going to keep any other kid safe.   
Jerseygirl345
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1103 on: January 17, 2010, 04:28:56 PM »

We have to watch evey step our children are taking...

The Associated Press
ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- A school social worker reportedly warned a northeast Florida girl's mother about the danger of the child walking home from school a year before she was abducted and killed.

The unidentified worker told the Department of Children and Families that 7-year-old Somer Thompson and her three siblings got lost at least once walking from Grove Park Elementary School and were found in woods with a stranger. But a DCF probe concluded the allegation had no basis. It also found the girl's mother, Diena Thompson, properly arranged for her children to be taken to and from school.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1425537.html
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1104 on: January 17, 2010, 07:15:34 PM »

For those interested:

Somer Thompson: Did Our System Fail Her?
Posted on January 17th, 2010
by Jan Barrett

http://www.bloggernews.net/123560

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1105 on: January 18, 2010, 07:45:36 AM »

YES 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1106 on: January 19, 2010, 05:30:56 AM »

It failed her big time.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1107 on: January 19, 2010, 01:55:32 PM »

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=530063
Local attorney donates services to Thompson family
01/18/2010
by Joe Wilhelm Jr.
Staff Writer

“Godsend” is a word that may not be regularly associated with attorneys, but that is how a mother, whose 7 year-old daughter was kidnapped three months ago, described her attorney.

The story of kidnapping victim Somer Thompson shocked the local community and the nation when her body was found in a landfill in Georgia after she disappeared from her Orange Park neighborhood. The last thing on Diena Thompson’s mind was hiring a lawyer to protect her and her family’s rights, but Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler recommended Jacksonville attorney Mike Freed, who is active in the effort to stop human trafficking and protecting the rights of children victimized by this act. Thompson had one less thing to worry about when Freed pledged his services free of charge.

“He has taken a lot of weight off of my shoulders,” said Diena Thompson. “After it happened I thought, ‘How do I protect myself and my children.’ (Freed) has helped us out so much. He’s been a Godsend.”

Thompson wasn’t familiar with being part of a police investigation, answering questions from the media or handling money that was donated in honor of Somer. Besides being a liaison between Thompson and the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, Freed has established the Thompson Family Trust through Jacksonville Bank to provide the public a way to donate to the family, developed a group of advisors that review fundraising proposals to weed out possible scams and now advises Thompson on opportunities to speak to the media and the public on her experiences.

“He’s there when I do interviews,” said Thompson. “He doesn’t tell me what to say, just tells me to speak from my heart.”

Freed is able to help Thompson prepare for interviews with tips from his own experiences. He has appeared on television
programs “The Dr. Phil Show”, “The Today Show” and “Nancy Grace” to talk about his experiences with the Thompson family and his work raising awareness of human trafficking.

“(Diena) contacted me after she had heard about the work my wife and I do raising the awareness of human trafficking,” said Freed. “She asked us if we could help out and it was an easy decision.”

Freed makes himself available to Thompson around the clock, something his client is truly thankful for.

“We talked at least once a day for a couple of months, but it has slowed to about once a week now,” said Thompson. “But I can call him any time, even if it’s just something that upsets me. He’s got my best interest at heart, and He’s not in it for the money. That’s refreshing at this day and age.”

Freed isn’t the only one to donate services to the Thompsons. Interchanges.com created the Web site www.rememberingsomer.com as a memorial to Somer and also to provide the public a way to donate online.

jwilhelm@baileypub.com

356-2466

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1108 on: January 19, 2010, 08:59:49 PM »

Maybe the school will now provide safe transportation to those students who have to walk home? I don't think any child should ever walk to and from school, but if a parent is working and cannot find a ride what is she/he supposed to do? In our school district we have an option to pay for bussing, if you are low income you pay less and there are family discounts. Maybe this school could consider something like that. They need a solution, blaming isn't going to keep any other kid safe.   

totally agree...I think that Somer's mom loves her children very much and that she did do the best that she could do with what she had...I think that single parents who are trying to work and pay their own way should get some help when they need it..if that means keeping the kids at school till she gets off work, then so be it...the state should help these parents imo...  ....And she is right, children should be able to walk home from school without being kidnapped..and murdered...they should also be able to play freely in their own yards and neighborhoods without fear of being taken by a stranger..jmo...
we do need a solution!

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1109 on: January 20, 2010, 03:57:31 PM »

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/01/20/23855.htm
Business Claims Gannett Station Defamed It
By VIRGINIA CHAMLEE
ShareThis

JACKSONVILLE (CN) - A construction company claims a Gannett TV station defamed it by linking it to the case of a 7-year-old girl who was abducted and murdered. Vinson Design & Build claims First Coast News broadcast an Oct. 23, 2009 report that singled out Vinson as having worked on the young girl's home and having hired a registered sex offender.
     Vinson accuses the defendants of "failing to report on any (other) sex offenders living/working in the area of Thompson's home ... [or] school," any other business that had "provided services to Somer Thompson and her family," or any other registered sex offenders living or working near Thompson's home. (Parentheses in complaint.)
     It also claims the station broadcast the report from its property without permission.
     Somer Thompson, 7, made national headlines when she was abducted from her Jacksonville-area community and later found dead in a Georgia landfill. The case remains unsolved.
     Vinson also sued anchorwoman Jeannie Blaylock and reporter Jackelyn Barnard, claiming their report alleged a direct connection between Vinson and abduction.
     Vinson claims the report damaged its reputation, and says that since then it has been "shunned by many persons with whom it had previous social or business relations."
     Vinson is represented in Duval County Court by Gordon T. Nicoll.

~ Peter Frampton
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1110 on: January 20, 2010, 06:01:48 PM »

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/01/20/23855.htm
Business Claims Gannett Station Defamed It
By VIRGINIA CHAMLEE
ShareThis

JACKSONVILLE (CN) - A construction company claims a Gannett TV station defamed it by linking it to the case of a 7-year-old girl who was abducted and murdered. Vinson Design & Build claims First Coast News broadcast an Oct. 23, 2009 report that singled out Vinson as having worked on the young girl's home and having hired a registered sex offender.
     Vinson accuses the defendants of "failing to report on any (other) sex offenders living/working in the area of Thompson's home ... [or] school," any other business that had "provided services to Somer Thompson and her family," or any other registered sex offenders living or working near Thompson's home. (Parentheses in complaint.)
     It also claims the station broadcast the report from its property without permission.
     Somer Thompson, 7, made national headlines when she was abducted from her Jacksonville-area community and later found dead in a Georgia landfill. The case remains unsolved.
     Vinson also sued anchorwoman Jeannie Blaylock and reporter Jackelyn Barnard, claiming their report alleged a direct connection between Vinson and abduction.
     Vinson claims the report damaged its reputation, and says that since then it has been "shunned by many persons with whom it had previous social or business relations."
     Vinson is represented in Duval County Court by Gordon T. Nicoll.

Bah.

Just shows how anyone can sue anyone now-a-days, and does.

AmandaReckonwith
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1111 on: January 20, 2010, 09:31:54 PM »

The FCN vids they're talking about, plus the lawsuit documents.

I saved it in a sub-album:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Somer%20Thompson/Vinson%20Lawsuit/

of Somer's regular album:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Somer%20Thompson/

Saved pictures and vids from lots of cases:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1112 on: January 20, 2010, 11:49:38 PM »

The FCN vids they're talking about, plus the lawsuit documents.

I saved it in a sub-album:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Somer%20Thompson/Vinson%20Lawsuit/

of Somer's regular album:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Somer%20Thompson/

Thank you!

Starlit
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1113 on: January 22, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »

Hello everyone. It's been while since we've heard about this case. I found this youtube video of an interview with Somer's mom. I beleive this is the latest news I have heard in a while.  Im still quite new at this and I dont know how to bring the video over here. heres the link.
Starlit
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1114 on: January 22, 2010, 09:37:34 PM »

whoops i guess i cant post links here? sorry! well if someone could help me get a youtube video over here id appreciate it.  thanks
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1115 on: January 23, 2010, 08:17:51 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S5xeat85y3Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/S5xeat85y3Q</a>

There you go Starlit.   

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1116 on: January 23, 2010, 08:22:21 AM »

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22316436/detail.html
Somer's Mom Appears On 'Today' Show
Investigators Continue Search For 6-Year-Old Girl's Killer
POSTED: Friday, January 22, 2010
UPDATED: 8:38 pm EST January 22, 2010
Somer Renee Thompson
Somer Renee Thompson
Rewards, Fundraisers
ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- Three months after 7-year-old Somer Thompson was killed, her mother was back in the spotlight pleading for Somer's killer to be captured.

Diena Thompson issued a heartfelt message to her daughter's killer Friday morning on NBC's "Today" show, saying whoever killed her daughter will be caught.

Somer vanished on her walk home from school in October, and her body was found two days later in a Georgia landfill.

"We are going to get you," Thompson said on the "Today" show.
Many questions remain in Somer's killing, most importantly who killed her and why.

"That's probably the worst part, the not knowing, because the scenarios you make up in your mind, they might be worse than what the actual truth is," Thompson said.
Thompson and her attorney said they've gotten little new information from police but understand why.

Investigators said they continue to pour through evidence. "Team Somer," which is made up of the Clay County Sheriff's Office, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and U.S. marshals, has received 4,400 tips.

Results from crucial physical evidence, possibly including DNA, is expected back from a lab soon.

A reward for information stands at $65,000.

"We want this investigation solved, and of course we'll do anything we can to help," Clay County Commissioner Ronnie Robinson said.

The Clay County commission recently approved $60,000 to help pay for overtime for the sheriff's office, and more will likely be needed. Commissioners said they're ready to help.

"It's hard to get passed this because it's so close to home," Robinson said. "I don't think anybody in our area has forgotten."

"Every day, if I would've done this different. It's the worst pain that you could ever experience," Thompson said while crying. "I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy."

If you have any information that can help investigators in their search for Somer's killer, call the tipline at 877-227-6911 or e-mail cart@claysheriff.com.

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1117 on: January 23, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »

http://jacksonville.com/community/clay/2010-01-23/story/grant_awarded_so_police_can_pay_for_overtime_in_somer_thompson_case
Grant awarded so police can pay for overtime in Somer Thompson case
# By Beth Reese Cravey
# Story updated at 12:29 AM on Saturday, Jan. 23, 2010
The Clay County Sheriff's Office has received a $20,000 federal grant to help pay overtime expenses related to its exhaustive investigation in the October death of Somer Thompson.

Other grant applications are pending to fund the case, which is still clocking overtime as detectives pursue leads and other areas of investigation.

The grant was awarded through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's Edward Byrne Memorial Justice Assistance Grant Program, funded by the U. S. Department of Justice's Bureau of Justice Assistance.

The sheriff's office initially applied for the grant in November. The agency has since asked that the grant be increased to $44,754 to cover subsequent overtime expenses, according to county documents.

The grant program "is the leading source of federal justice funding to state and local jurisdictions [and] provides ... critical funding necessary to support a range of program areas including law enforcement, prosecution and court, prevention and education, corrections and community corrections, drug treatment and enforcement, planning, evaluation and technology improvement, and crime victim and witness initiatives," according to the bureau Web site.

The Clay County Commission, which sets funding for the sheriff's office, accepted the grant Tuesday.

"We appreciate the sheriff's office ... for trying to obtain every funding source available out there," said Commission Chairman Travis Cummings.

Because of county-wide cuts imposed by the revenue-depleted County Commission, Sheriff Rick Beseler has no vacant jobs or overtime pay in his budget for the current fiscal year, 2009-10. That budget year began Oct. 1.

On Oct. 19, only weeks into the fiscal year, 7-year-old Somer Thompson disappeared while on her way home from school. Her body was found three days later in a Georgia landfill; no arrests have been made in the case.

Sharon Kraus, the sheriff's chief financial officer, said in an e-mail that even the higher grant request of $44,754, if awarded, "does not cover all overtime associated with that case." But the total figure is still being calculated because overtime is still being worked as detectives check out leads and pursue other areas of the investigation, said sheriff's spokeswoman Mary Justino.
Also, other grant applications are pending to help fund the probe, Justino said.

~ Peter Frampton
Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1118 on: January 23, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »

Hello everyone. It's been while since we've heard about this case. I found this youtube video of an interview with Somer's mom. I beleive this is the latest news I have heard in a while.  Im still quite new at this and I dont know how to bring the video over here. heres the link.

Thanks, Starlit.

I hadn't realized Diena was on the Today show yesterday. Missed it completely.

Brandi
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1119 on: January 23, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »

Thanks, Starlit.

I hadn't realized Diena was on the Today show yesterday. Missed it completely.

Some images from the Today Show:

Note Diena wearing purple, Somer's favorite colour. Even Diena's fingernail polish was purple. She seems to be hurting very much, but still believes the murderer will be apprehended.

Her lawyer said he believes it was a crime of opportunity, done by someone who has never done this before and may never do it again. He says there is still evidence out there and they are waiting on it for results. LE is playing the case close to the vest as to not tip off the murderer.

They say is it NOT a cold case.

So, hopefully, soon there will be Justice for Somer.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.