April 25, 2024, 09:48:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabeth Olten #3 11/18/09 -  (Read 577137 times)
Amys Sister
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1440 on: January 14, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »

Hi Sister.  You are so right, we may never know why some people go bad and others don't. 

It just seems that unloved and abused children are far more likely to become violent criminals which would indicate that abuse can be a trigger for a person who has a predisposition to being one. 

Not that we could ever completely eradicate it from our world (without divine intervention) but I think we can do a better job preventing abuse and the cycles that entails.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1441 on: January 15, 2012, 01:16:29 PM »

http://www.**/news/2012/jan/15/determining-whats-next-alyssa/
Determining what’s next for Alyssa
Background, mental health, circumstances will most likely be taken into account by judge
January 15, 2012

Alyssa Bustamante, who turns 18 on Jan. 28, faces a certain future in prison, because her plea last week to second-degree murder — for the Oct. 21, 2009, killing of Elizabeth Olten, 9 — requires Cole County Presiding Circuit Judge Patricia Joyce to order at least a 10-year sentence.

But how much more of a sentence should be ordered will be argued Feb. 6-7, during a sentencing hearing where Cole County Prosecutor Mark Richardson and Public Defenders Donald Catlett and Charles Moreland will present evidence for Joyce to consider in determining the final sentence.
 ::snipping2::

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1442 on: January 15, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »

Elizabeth's Candles

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=Liz%20O

Please light a candle and say a prayer for Elizabeth.  an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
New Monkey
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1443 on: January 20, 2012, 10:36:44 PM »

I am absolutely astounded to read about this plea deal.  I do not feel as though justice will be served if AB is sentenced to anything less than life in prison without parole.  I am just stunned.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1444 on: January 20, 2012, 11:20:21 PM »

I am absolutely astounded to read about this plea deal.  I do not feel as though justice will be served if AB is sentenced to anything less than life in prison without parole.  I am just stunned.

You might be right.  It's a tragic case, New Monkey--a premeditated, violent killing of Elizabeth.  However, I think that the judge will take into consideration her age when the killing took place and her state of mind at the time.  She might be in need of some major psychiatric counselling and possibly meds.  I think that she will probably get 10-30 years.
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1445 on: January 21, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »

You might be right.  It's a tragic case, New Monkey--a premeditated, violent killing of Elizabeth.  However, I think that the judge will take into consideration her age when the killing took place and her state of mind at the time.  She might be in need of some major psychiatric counselling and possibly meds.  I think that she will probably get 10-30 years.

BBM
I truly hope she get more than 10-30 years.
This young woman knew what she was doing, dug two graves to hide her crime, etc.  It will be interesting to see what "circumstances" would make the judge give such a light sentence.
 ::justice2NJ::

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1446 on: February 06, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/06/3412812/missouri-teen-killer-bustamante.html

Posted on Mon, Feb. 06, 2012 12:58 PM
Missouri teen describes killing as ‘pretty enjoyable’

JEFFERSON CITY -- A Missouri teenager who pleaded guilty to killing a 9-year-old girl wrote in her journal that it was an “ahmazing” and “pretty enjoyable” experience.

Elizabeth’s mother, Patty Preiss, tearfully pleaded with the judge to give the maximum sentence possible to Bustamante, whom she repeatedly described as an “evil monster.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/06/3412812/missouri-teen-killer-bustamante.html#storylink=cpy
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1447 on: February 06, 2012, 03:44:58 PM »

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/06/3412812/missouri-teen-killer-bustamante.html

Posted on Mon, Feb. 06, 2012 12:58 PM
Missouri teen describes killing as ‘pretty enjoyable’

JEFFERSON CITY -- A Missouri teenager who pleaded guilty to killing a 9-year-old girl wrote in her journal that it was an “ahmazing” and “pretty enjoyable” experience.

Elizabeth’s mother, Patty Preiss, tearfully pleaded with the judge to give the maximum sentence possible to Bustamante, whom she repeatedly described as an “evil monster.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/02/06/3412812/missouri-teen-killer-bustamante.html#storylink=cpy

To my knowledge, she has shown no remorse.  I am praying for justice!
 ::justice2NJ::

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1448 on: February 06, 2012, 03:46:00 PM »

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2012/02/alyssa_bustamante_journal_sentencing.php

Alyssa Bustamante: Her Confession Was Off-Limits, But Her Journal Is A Different Matter
By Paul Friswold Mon., Feb. 6 2012 at 2:07 PM

Alyssa Bustamante, the young woman who killed Elizabeth Olten, her nine-year-old neighbor, had a sentencing hearing today in Jefferson City. Although Bustamante, now eighteen, confessed to police, the confession was ruled inadmissible in court because the police who questioned her used "deceptive tactics."
At today's sentencing hearing, sections of Bustamante's journal was read aloud to the court. The then-fifteen-year-old Bustamante wrote that strangling a child and then slashing her throat was "ahmazing."

She wrote further:

As soon as you get over the "ohmygawd I can't do this" feeling, it's pretty enjoyable. I'm kinda nervous and shaky though right now. Kay, I gotta go to church now...lol.
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1449 on: February 06, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »

http://www.**/news/2012/feb/06/bustamantes-journal-was-focus-first-day-hearing/

Bustamante's journal was focus of first day of hearing
By Jeff Haldiman
Monday, February 6, 2012

The journal that Alyssa Bustamante kept was the focus of much of the first day of testimony during the sentencing hearing Monday for the October 2009 killing of 9-year-old Elizabeth Olten.

Bustamante, now 18, pleaded guilty Jan. 10 to second-degree murder for the Oct. 21, 2009, killing. Two days of hearings have been scheduled before Cole County Ciruit Judge Patricia Joyce imposes a sentence, which could be up to life in prison with a possibility of parole.

Don Lock, a forensic consultant, was called by Cole County Prosecutor Mark Richardson to talk about his findings when examining Alyssa’s journal.
Testimony was expected to continue through the afternoon Monday and again on Tuesday.
----------------------------

It will be interesting to see which sentence the judge rules--10 years, or 25 years, or life in prison with a possibility of parole.  This appears to be a "thrill" killing.  So, so sad.   
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #1450 on: February 06, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2012/02/alyssa_bustamante_journal_sentencing.php

Alyssa Bustamante: Her Confession Was Off-Limits, But Her Journal Is A Different Matter
By Paul Friswold Mon., Feb. 6 2012 at 2:07 PM

Alyssa Bustamante, the young woman who killed Elizabeth Olten, her nine-year-old neighbor, had a sentencing hearing today in Jefferson City. Although Bustamante, now eighteen, confessed to police, the confession was ruled inadmissible in court because the police who questioned her used "deceptive tactics."
At today's sentencing hearing, sections of Bustamante's journal was read aloud to the court. The then-fifteen-year-old Bustamante wrote that strangling a child and then slashing her throat was "ahmazing."

She wrote further:

As soon as you get over the "ohmygawd I can't do this" feeling, it's pretty enjoyable. I'm kinda nervous and shaky though right now. Kay, I gotta go to church now...lol.

What a sick, evil girl.  She should never be allowed to breathe fresh air again.

These are my opinions and subject to change.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1451 on: February 07, 2012, 11:10:28 AM »

Sick, evil ... I wish she could get the DP  A waste of oxygen and taxpayer $ to allow her to breathe

Mo. teen describes knife killing of 9-year-old as amazing, enjoyable

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/02/06/news/nation/mo-teen-describes-knife-killing-of-9-year-old-as-amazing-enjoyable/
snipped

“So much has been lost at the hands of this evil monster,” Preiss tearfully said, with Bustamante sitting several feet away. “Elizabeth was given a death sentence and we were given a life sentence.”

With Bustamante looking at her, Preiss said: “I hate her, I hate everything about her.” The judge cut off her testimony when she described Bustamante as “not even human.”

snipped at the end

At one point Bustamante had written that she intended to burn down a house and kill all the occupants, but she never followed through with that. On Oct. 14, one week before Elizabeth’s slaying, Bustamante had written that she was unable to use her cell phone because the charger had died, which meant she couldn’t talk to anyone about the depression and rage she was feeling.

“If I don’t talk about it, I bottle it up, and when I explode someone’s going to die,” she wrote in a journal that was read to the court by her defense attorney, Charlie Moreland.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:44:04 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1452 on: February 07, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »

Sick, evil ... I wish she could get the DP  A waste of oxygen and taxpaers $ to allow her to breathe

Mo. teen describes knife killing of 9-year-old as amazing, enjoyable

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/02/06/news/nation/mo-teen-describes-knife-killing-of-9-year-old-as-amazing-enjoyable/
snipped

“So much has been lost at the hands of this evil monster,” Preiss tearfully said, with Bustamante sitting several feet away. “Elizabeth was given a death sentence and we were given a life sentence.”

With Bustamante looking at her, Preiss said: “I hate her, I hate everything about her.” The judge cut off her testimony when she described Bustamante as “not even human.”

snipped at the end

At one point Bustamante had written that she intended to burn down a house and kill all the occupants, but she never followed through with that. On Oct. 14, one week before Elizabeth’s slaying, Bustamante had written that she was unable to use her cell phone because the charger had died, which meant she couldn’t talk to anyone about the depression and rage she was feeling.

“If I don’t talk about it, I bottle it up, and when I explode someone’s going to die,” she wrote in a journal that was read to the court by her defense attorney, Charlie Moreland.

poor thing, her charger died . . . NOT! she is worse than any animal!

grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1453 on: February 07, 2012, 12:56:16 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/07/missouri-teen-killer-had-troubled-family-depression/

Missouri teen killer had troubled family, depression
Published February 07, 2012

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. –  Abandoned by her mother and missing a father in prison, Alyssa Bustamante had plunged to the depths of depression before, once overdosing on a large bottle of painkillers, slicing her skin hundreds of times and carving the word "hate" in her arm. She recovered from her suicide attempt and was prescribed an antidepressant drug.

Two years later, an increased dosage of the antidepressant Prozac might have made her more prone to do the unthinkable: strangling, slicing the throat and repeatedly stabbing a 9-year-old neighbor girl to death, Bustamante's defense attorneys suggested Monday during a sentencing hearing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/07/missouri-teen-killer-had-troubled-family-depression/#ixzz1lifnVa7m
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1454 on: February 07, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »

The journal entries began about two months before Elizabeth's murder, and included several references to suicidal thoughts.

"If I don't talk about it, I bottle it up, and when I explode someone's going to die," she wrote in a journal entry that was read to the court by her lawyer.

The night of the murder, Bustamante later went to a youth dance at her church.

Her grandmother was asked in court if she noticed anything different as they left the home. She said Bustamante seemed happier than normal.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16165042
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1455 on: February 07, 2012, 01:43:34 PM »

Hearing Resumes Today in Bustamante Sentencing

In testimony Monday, Olten's mother took the stand.

She called Bustamante an "evil monster," and asked the judge to consider the sentence as though it were the judge's child who had been murdered.

Bustamante faces life in prison without parole.

http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=599542
grace-land
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1456 on: February 07, 2012, 02:05:30 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mo-teen-killer-troubled-family-depression-15527266

Mo. Teen Killer Had Troubled Family, Depression
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. February 7, 2012 (AP)

A psychiatrist testifying for prosecutors says there is no way that an antidepressant drug could have made a Missouri teenager kill a 9-year-old neighbor girl.

But Rothschild says there is no scientific or medical evidence that Prozac causes people to commit murder. To the contrary, he says it actually can decrease hostility and aggression.
KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #1457 on: February 07, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mo-teen-killer-troubled-family-depression-15527266

Mo. Teen Killer Had Troubled Family, Depression
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. February 7, 2012 (AP)

A psychiatrist testifying for prosecutors says there is no way that an antidepressant drug could have made a Missouri teenager kill a 9-year-old neighbor girl.

But Rothschild says there is no scientific or medical evidence that Prozac causes people to commit murder. To the contrary, he says it actually can decrease hostility and aggression.

This young woman may be mentally ill.  But she also knew right from wrong.  Lock her up and through away the key.  If she's ever allowed out, she'll kill again.  For the thrill and high she's tasted.

KittyMom
Monkey All Star Jr.

Borgman

« Reply #1458 on: February 07, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »

*throw

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1459 on: February 07, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »

Prosecution seeks to counter ‘Prozac defense'
Defense presents more evidence of Bustamante’s mental state

Two officials with the Jefferson City Public School District also were called to the stand this morning.

Lisa Bleich, a counselor at Thomas Jefferson Middle School, testified Alyssa did not have any problems until August 2007.

That’s when she was told by a parent of another student at the school that Alyssa was a cutter.

Bleich said she called Alyssa in and saw on her arms where she had cut herself several times. She said she then contacted Alyssa’s grandmother, Karen Brooke, who talked about getting her outside counseling.

Eventually, officials from Pathways Community Behavioral Healthcare were brought in and had sessions with Alyssa at the school.

Also testifying was Alyssa Neitzert, a registered nurse with University Hospital’s Emergency Department.

She was called by Alyssa’s defense to do a body exam of Alyssa at the Cole County Jail in November 2011 to find evidence of self-mutilation.

Neitzert said she found more than 300 such marks on Alyssa’s body, an amount she said she had never seen before.

All the wounds were healed and some were difficult to see because Alyssa is fair-skinned.

http://www.**/news/2012/feb/07/prosecution-seeks-counter-prozac-defense/
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.