March 18, 2024, 09:50:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elizabeth Olten #3 11/18/09 -  (Read 574157 times)
Txsflame
Scared Monkey

UnID Murder victim

« Reply #880 on: November 22, 2009, 02:38:46 PM »

KarenK,
Granted I do not know the back grounds of these girls from adam. I have to say the words that they choose to use within their profiles are just " over my head"

They for the most part ( I believe) do not understand the actual meanings of the words they do use. If they did, they would not use them. Its not entertaining, its not *Cool and its certainly not healthy ........because then others think oh so and so uses it ... I will too.
Its a Shame. A total shame. What is screams to me is there is no one monitoring their social sites within the home. No body is home or is showing interest in these kids social sites. No Parental Guidance. No boundaries what so ever. At 15 that is bad enough, just wait till they turn 18, too late then. They will be out of school and living in the basement forever. Because they Can.

Deenie they throw around words like kill, torture, blood, and hate with abandon and it is not a few, it is a LOT!!!  I don't know if it is taken from the violent video games, movies like Twilight, but there are so many young people who feel hopeless about life and don't believe they have a future. Look at the gang violence and drive by shootings. This is not like anything when I grew up in the 60's. 

On another note, someone here knows how to access public arrest records.could we find out at the BF there? Did I hear he was arrested for drugs?

Hey I even tried searching through casenet last night for D**** N___ . Well you have to add atleast Two letters..So I went thru Na Ne Ni No And Nu and NY..and nothing. But he is a minor so not sure his arrest would be on there. I also used the spelling of D ending in D***in, nad nothing..

Todays teen language gets weirder all the time...
Sick... is good now..If a teen says "Oh man that is sick"..means that is "cool"
am trying ot think of more and cant right now..lol..
Lucky (or maybe not for me) My kids are straight up "hicks" lol and they prefer plain old fashion bad language..am baout to start using good old soap on the tongue with my 16 yr old if he doesnt clean up his mouth. But I have heard some strnage saying come out of friends of theirs. ALso with this generation of "texting" many cant spell and most talk in code, Text code.

Perfectly Imperfect. Imperfection is the only thinig I ever perfected!!!!

Please visit http://walkercountyjanedoe1980.webs.com

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=6550.new#new
KarenK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #881 on: November 22, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »

I know Deenie.  It is definitely a conundrum!!! Always wanted to use that word.   
bigmoney
Scared Monkey

« Reply #882 on: November 22, 2009, 06:18:30 PM »

Does anyone know where this photo came from? A date? Are there anymore? Also, How do you privately e-mail members on here ( or are we not allowed)?   THanks!!
KarenK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #883 on: November 22, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »

Click here: Elizabeth Olten pictures by crankycrankerson - Photobucket

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Elizabeth%20Olten/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:36:54 PM by klaasend » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #884 on: November 22, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »

Does anyone know where this photo came from? A date? Are there anymore? Also, How do you privately e-mail members on here ( or are we not allowed)?   THanks!!

PM (private messages) have been disabled at SM.  Most people that want to email with someone else create a "throw away" hotmail account or similar that they don't worry about.  Then they simply post their email address and ask if someone will email them if it can't be posted in the forum.

Most of the photos people have of Alyssa are from Myspace accounts of either Alyssa or her friends.
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #885 on: November 22, 2009, 08:38:43 PM »

Klaas, I am sorry to be O/T, but is that your puppy dog sticking it's tongue out. If so, he/she is adorable.

TIA JSM

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #886 on: November 22, 2009, 08:39:39 PM »

Girl, 15, is puzzler for justice system

ST. MARTINS, MO. — On her Twitter page, Alyssa Bustamante lists her location as "somewhere I don't want to be."

When she wrote that, the 15-year-old girl lived in this tiny burg of about 1,000 folks just west of Jefferson City. Now, Bustamante is somewhere else — in a jail cell — as she awaits trial on the most heinous of charges.

On Oct. 21, authorities say, Bustamante strangled, stabbed and cut the throat of her 9-year-old neighbor, Elizabeth Kay Olten.

The murder traumatized this working-class, mostly Catholic community. But it also shocked a justice system now struggling to figure out what to do with a troubled teenage girl with nowhere to go.

Does she go to the juvenile system, where she can get treatment for her mental health problems?

Or does she go to adult prison, an environment that her attorney argues she won't survive?

The decision rests with a prosecutor and judge pressured to be tough on crime, and a juvenile system asked to determine whether Bustamante is a candidate to escape the demons dancing in her head.

The fate of a 15-year-old murder suspect may hinge at least partly on a fact revealed in court on Wednesday, to the disappointment of Cole County Circuit Judge Jon Beetem:

Missouri's nationally respected juvenile justice system has no secure place to put a 15-year-old girl accused of a violent murder.

It's a system that was built for boys.

"This is real different for all of us," said Bill Heberle, deputy director of the Division of Youth Services. At Bustamante's certification hearing, Heberle testified that the state doesn't have a secure facility — meaning one with fences and locked gates — for girls.

The judge in the case said he was disappointed in the state juvenile system's inability to house Bustamante. But the reality is, the state hasn't faced many cases such as hers.

"We simply don't receive that many young girls that are committed to us for a heinous crime," Heberle said. "Our girls tend to be more violent toward themselves."

In that regard, Bustamante fits the stereotype.

She was hospitalized two years ago at a mental hospital in mid-Missouri after a suicide attempt in which she tried to cut herself with her fingernails. It was a difficult moment in what has been a troubled upbringing.

Bustamante's father is in a Missouri prison on an assault conviction. Several years ago, Bustamante's grandmother, Karen Brooke, was awarded custody of the girl and her two younger brothers, and she moved them from California to Missouri to get a fresh start.

According to authorities, Bustamante continues to battle depression, though she has been in therapy and was prescribed the antidepressant Prozac. And despite dabbling in the dark Goth culture, school officials say, she was a good student who didn't get in trouble.

But Bustamante left an Internet trail that shows a fascination with death and pain.

On her now defunct YouTube page, she talked of hobbies such as "killing people" and "cutting." One video Bustamante made shows her and her brothers touching an electric fence to see what it felt like.

Indeed, that's why Bustamante dug two graves in the woods near her home and killed her 9-year-old neighbor, an investigator testified in court.

"She wanted to know what it felt like," said Missouri Highway Patrol Sgt. David Rice.

THE 'MISSOURI MODEL'

Such gruesome details led Cole County Prosecuting Attorney Mark Richardson to say he would seek the most serious punishment possible for Bustamante: life in prison without parole.

But even if Richardson succeeds in convicting Bustamante of first-degree murder, it's still possible she will end up in the care of the state Division of Youth Services.

That's because Missouri is one of 22 states to have what is called a "dual jurisdiction" system. Under state law, if Bustamante was found guilty, a judge could consider keeping her under the care of the juvenile system — which is heavy on rehabilitation — until she is 21. At that point, another hearing would be held to determine if she was ready to be released, or sent to adult prison for the remainder of her sentence.

The "Missouri Model" is praised around the nation because its emphasis on community-based rehabilitation has produced very low recidivism rates, even among the violent criminals — most of them boys — sentenced through the juvenile system.

It's a system that works, says Harvard University professor Julie Boatright Wilson, because it balances therapy with the rights of victims and concerns about keeping the community safe.

Wilson, who last year was part of a review of Missouri's juvenile justice system that earned the prestigious Annie E. Casey Innovations Award, said that programs that focus on rehabilitation for juveniles work because those who make it through the program don't repeat their crimes.

Of the 46 juveniles who have completed the state's rehabilitation program as part of a dual jurisdiction sentence, only 10 have ended up going back to prison, said Heberle. That's nearly an 80 percent success rate, which is much higher than traditional corrections programs.

But only five girls have ever been sentenced through the program, which has been around since 1996. Three of them have completed the program and not reoffended. One, who is 17, is still in the juvenile system.

None of those girls, Heberle said, was accused of first-degree murder.

It's not that the state's program doesn't have secure facilities, it's just that they are all set up for boys. The state has seven juvenile facilities that Heberle considers "hardware secure," with fences, locked gates, alarms and metal detectors. Just below that there are facilities that are called "staff secure," such as Hogan Street in St. Louis. Such facilities sometimes house violent offenders and are staffed 24 hours a day, but they aren't necessarily fenced. There have been escapes.

Finally, there are the minimum security facilities, basically group homes, that are still staffed 24 hours a day but don't have the traditional security associated with prisons.

Heberle said the Division of Youth Services would have no choice but to take Bustamante if that's what a judge ordered.

"If it's the wishes of the court to commit this girl to us, we would make whatever modifications necessary," Heberle said. "It's a very difficult and stressful case. If I could have magically said in court that I had a 10-bed secure facility for girls, I still don't know whether he would have committed her to us."

MORE FEMALE KILLERS

Wilson said the problem of girls' being accused more frequently of increasingly violent crimes is something the nation had better prepare for.

Missouri has only one girl under the age of 18 in its adult prison population, a point that Bustamante's court-appointed attorney, Kurt Valentine, made in arguing that she belongs in the juvenile system.

But among all murders committed nationally by people 13 to 16, the percentage of cases in which the murderer was female has risen for three years straight. It's still a small number — 48 in 2008, or 10 percent of the total number of murders committed by people in that age group. But it's up from 9 percent the year before and 8 percent in 2006.

One challenge for the justice system is balancing the desire for punishment in such cases with the realities of rehabilitation.

Missouri's system works for both boys and girls, said both Wilson and Heberle. But judges and prosecutors facing pressure to be tough on crime don't always see it that way.

Take the case of Sherman Burnett. When he was 13, he grabbed a 6-year-old girl near her home in Spanish Lake and sodomized her and beat her. The judge declined dual sentencing, and Burnett is now the only boy under the age of 16 in the Missouri adult prison population.

And there is Jonathan McClard. As a 16-year-old, he shot and killed another teen in what the prosecutor called a cold-blooded ambush. The judge in the case was urged to sentence McClard under the dual jurisdiction program, giving him a shot at rehabilitation. The judge declined. McClard killed himself shortly after being sent to prison.

A HOLE IN THE SYSTEM

Bustamante has already tried to kill herself twice, once a couple of years ago and once since her arrest, according to court testimony. That's where the real hole in the system is, Wilson said.

Long before judges and prosecutors weigh issues of crime and punishment, young people often leave a trail of warning signs that the system misses.

In Bustamante's case, the trail is a long one, from her parents' legal troubles to her cries for help on social networking sites to her dabbling in the Goth subculture.

On Thursday, Bustamante's public defender filed a motion seeking to transfer her to a mental hospital.

Bustamante's next court date is Dec. 7. The people of St. Martins will be watching carefully. Not surprisingly, they want to see her punished.

The crime brought together hundreds of townsfolk for two days of searching when Elizabeth first went missing. On Wednesday, when the judge ruled that Bustamante would be tried as an adult, many residents were pleased.

"I think everybody would have been really upset if that hadn't happened," said Richard Bertels, owner of Stacy's Market and Grill, the town's convenience store and unofficial gathering spot.

It's a conservative, law-and-order town, Bertels said. But it's also a town of faith.

In St. Martins, Bustamante's grandmother had the support of her Mormon congregation, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Jefferson City. Church members helped finish building her house on the property and offered support when Bustamante struggled.

Church members refused to comment on the case, other than to say that they are praying for both the Olten family and Bustamante.

Helen Penfield, a spokeswoman for the congregation, called the situation tragic. "Our hope is all will find comfort and peace from our loving, heavenly father during this difficult time," she said.

Prayer is a common theme among people in St. Martins when they consider the murder.

Like so many of the small towns circling the capital city, the town is rooted in its Catholic heritage. St. Martins Catholic Church and its accompanying elementary school is the focal point of the town, along with a VFW lodge and the Knights of Columbus hall that bears the name of the church's pastor, the Rev. Ed Schmidt.

"It's a very sad thing for this town," said Schmidt. "It's a painful experience for all involved. It's so deep-seated, the whole community feels it."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/418FCF884BEA06B1862576750015EFC9?OpenDocument#tp_newCommentAnchor
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #887 on: November 22, 2009, 08:47:07 PM »

Accused teen girl-killer's options weighed

ST. MARTINS, Mo., Nov. 22 (UPI) -- Child welfare and judicial officials in Missouri are trying to determine how to deal with a 15-year-old girl accused of child murder, observers say.

Police say Alyssa Bustamante, 15, of St. Martins, Mo., last month strangled, stabbed and cut the throat of her 9-year-old neighbor, Elizabeth Kay Olten. Now officials are at a loss over whether she belongs in the juvenile system, where she can get treatment for her mental health problems, or in an adult prison, where her attorney says she may not survive, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Sunday.

The newspaper said a state prosecutor and judge will face a myriad of pressures in making the decision on the teenager, while the area's juvenile system will be tasked with determining if Bustamante's mental illnesses are curable.

One problem is that Missouri's juvenile detention is set up for boys, Bill Heberle, deputy director of the Division of Youth Services, reportedly testified at a hearing, noting that the state doesn't have a locked facility for girls.

The Post-Dispatch said authorities have testified Bustamante suffers from depression, but school officials said she was a good student who didn't get in trouble.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2009/11/22/Accused-teen-girl-killers-options-weighed/UPI-24291258928314/
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #888 on: November 22, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »

Klaas, I am sorry to be O/T, but is that your puppy dog sticking it's tongue out. If so, he/she is adorable.

TIA JSM

Yes, lol...CBB fixed me up with this one for Xmas.  I like the doggy too 
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #889 on: November 22, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »

Does anyone know where this photo came from? A date? Are there anymore? Also, How do you privately e-mail members on here ( or are we not allowed)?   THanks!!

yes, I found that photo.

If you'd like to contact me, you can at XXXX Remove email addy.  MB
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:58:37 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #890 on: November 22, 2009, 09:46:57 PM »

Please say a prayer and light a candle for Elizabeth.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=Liz%20O
jill
Monkey Junky

« Reply #891 on: November 22, 2009, 09:49:29 PM »

thank you.

ALWAYS protectkidz. 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #892 on: November 22, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »

an angelic monkey
bananas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #893 on: November 22, 2009, 09:54:32 PM »

Thanks for the reminder.....  an angelic monkey

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me."
KarenK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #894 on: November 22, 2009, 11:42:28 PM »

XshareX.wsI'm playing high school football for the first time i`ve played in different ... okay and didn't think much of it.well the girls boyfriend is the one who relieves ... and premeditated the murder of her 9-year old neighbor: JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. On an Internet site, 15-year-old Alyssa Bustamante listed her hobbies as ...
www.xsharex.ws/ - Cached - Similar

I wonder what this means? I can't get the cached version. If this relates to AB her boyfriend may be on the football team.
bios
yuknomenot
Monkey Junky

« Reply #895 on: November 22, 2009, 11:54:11 PM »

XshareX.wsI'm playing high school football for the first time i`ve played in different ... okay and didn't think much of it.well the girls boyfriend is the one who relieves ... and premeditated the murder of her 9-year old neighbor: JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. On an Internet site, 15-year-old Alyssa Bustamante listed her hobbies as ...

I wonder what this means? I can't get the cached version. If this relates to AB her boyfriend may be on the football team.
bios
To the right, under each picture is a link to the roster
http://www.jayfootball.com/the_team/index.html
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #896 on: November 23, 2009, 12:46:33 AM »

A certain "Charlie" has been posting videos http://www.youtube.com/user/trishelle818
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #897 on: November 23, 2009, 12:53:45 AM »

Anyone catch what the beer bottle says after mom shacks sister in the face?

All I can catch is "Charlie Loves ??????"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UjwfeKI3Zh0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UjwfeKI3Zh0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
KarenK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #898 on: November 23, 2009, 01:08:52 AM »

bios
To the right, under each picture is a link to the roster
http://www.jayfootball.com/the_team/index.html

Thank you for the roster but I think it was a false alarm and went with another story.Sorry to get hopes up.
KarenK
Scared Monkey

« Reply #899 on: November 23, 2009, 01:19:48 AM »

Anyone seen this before? It was posted on a locals board and verified by other posters there. Is this the evidence that led them to Alyssa?

Luckygirl says...
I couldn't agree more with Bluesox. It's gone unsaid that this murderer turned in a paper/project to a teacher days before the girl went missing saying that she wanted to know what it felt like to kill someone. That teacher never turned it in to the school or police and later killed himself after turning that info over to the police. That project was the 'written evidence' that led them to the suspect, who then led them to the girls dead body. She needs to spend the rest of her life locked up so that she can never kill/hurt an innocent person again.

November 18, 2009 at 2:42 p.m. ( link | suggest removal )
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.