April 26, 2024, 12:19:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alexis Oesterle 15, dead behind house 11/2/09 Rockport, IN (Step-dad charged)  (Read 15267 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: November 04, 2009, 06:35:53 PM »

Stepfather charged in death of 15-year-old Spencer County, Ind., girl

Posted November 4, 2009

ROCKPORT, Ind. — The stepfather of a 15-year-old Spencer County, Ind., teen found dead behind her home has been arrested and charged with murder in the case.

Police said 32-year-old Ryan Shelby will make a preliminary appearance in Spencer County court on Thursday, and will be charged with killing 15-year-old Alexis Oesterle.

Oesterle was found slain outside her Rockport, Ind. home Monday night, behind a shed in her backyard less than two hours after she was reported missing.

Police say detectives are not looking for anyone else in connection with the crime, and declined to talk about a motive in the case. They said Oesterle died from a loss of blood from a wound in her neck. They did not specify what kind of weapon was used.

More than two dozen friends gathered around an afternoon news conference at the Spencer County Courthouse in Rockport, Ind.

Authorities praised the deputy who discovered Oesterle's body and said it likely would've been moved had he not had the sense to search the property Monday night.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/nov/04/man-arrested-death-15-year-old-spencer-county-girl/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 07:25:45 AM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »

http://www.fox41.com/Global/story.asp?S=11438573&nav=menu1404_7

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 07:31:53 AM »

Stepfather arraigned; slain teen's friends express grief over loss of 'fireball'

Posted November 6, 2009 at 12:13 a.m.

ROCKPORT, Ind. — Ryan Lee Shelby, the Spencer County man accused in the killing of his 15-year-old stepdaughter, left the courthouse with no comment or facial expression after a brief arraignment Thursday at the Spencer County Courthouse.

All around Shelby, however, raw emotions were flowing.

Before Shelby could be placed in a car for the short drive back to jail, a man watching from down the street yelled expletives at him.

Other friends and relatives of Alexis Oesterle, the slain South Spencer High School freshman, stood to the side. They fiercely hugged one another and wept.

Oesterle's body was found behind a shed in the backyard of her Grissom Avenue home less than two hours after Shelby reported her missing Monday night.

Shelby, 32, was arrested Wednesday afternoon. Authorities are releasing few details about their investigation.

During Thursday's arraignment, Spencer Circuit Judge Jon Dartt ordered Shelby held without bond. His next court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 19.

Oesterle was a loyal person and had a personality that, in the words of her friend Janine Nieves, always made her "the life of the party."

Oesterle was not a shy type, said Nieves, who wore an airbrushed T-shirt with Oesterle's picture in the center of a heart.

"She was a fireball, very outspoken," Nieves said.

"If she had a problem with someone, she would let them know."

Shelby allegedly was one individual with whom Oesterle had problems.

Friends said they did not know how long Shelby had been married to Oesterle's mother, Jessica, but Shelby's relationship with the teenager was turbulent.

"I knew he was mean," Nieves said of Shelby.

She recalled instances of Shelby "cursing at her (Oesterle), yelling at her."

Another friend, Mandie Roll, said that she, too, knew Oesterle and her stepfather "didn't get along."

Nieves and Roll said they were not aware of any instances when the relationship became violent, although Spencer County authorities said they have responded to several 911 calls at the residence stemming from various family disturbances.

News of Oesterle's death rocked South Spencer.

"Things are really pretty rough here," said Bob Combs, the principal.

"Alexis was not a student here very long, but she had quite a few friends here and in the community."

About eight South Spencer students who were close to Oesterle have been absent since Tuesday, and other students are grieving, Combs said.

The school has made grief counselors available to speak with students.

Combs added that two school employees are related to Shelby, making the circumstance that much more difficult.

Authorities are withholding information about a possible motive or any other evidence surrounding Oesterle's death.

"The next step in the process will be to gather all of the information and evidence from law enforcement, followed by the filing of formal charges prior to the (Nov. 19) initial hearing date," Spencer County Prosecutor Daniel Wilkinson said in a news release.

Thursday's arraignment of Shelby lasted less than five minutes.

Seated alone at the defense table, he was shackled and wore blue jeans and a forest green T-shirt.

He listened as Dartt read him his rights. He said he understood them.

When Dartt asked Shelby if he needed an attorney to be appointed to represent him, Shelby answered, "Please, your honor."

Dartt then asked Shelby if he had the financial resources to hire an attorney.

"No, your honor," Shelby replied.

Dartt said he would appoint Steve Ripstra of Jasper to defend Shelby.

Friends of Oesterle said a collection is being started to assist with funeral expenses. The fund is through Integra Bank in Rockport.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/nov/06/suspect-in-sea-of-emotions/

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:03:43 AM »

Evidence wait delays trial in S. Indiana girl's death

Story Updated: Aug 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM EDT
ROCKPORT, Ind. (AP) — A defense attorney blames the slow processing of DNA evidence for delaying the trial of a southern Indiana man on charges that he killed his 15-year-old stepdaughter whose body was found behind a shed near her home.

Ryan Lee Shelby has been jailed since his arrest last November, two days after Alexis Oesterle's body was found in Rockport following a report from Shelby that she was missing.

Shelby's trial in a Spencer County court was scheduled to start Monday, but has been delayed until April.

Defense attorney Anthony Long tells the Evansville Courier & Press that state police have been slow in handling evidence from the case.

Court documents say Alexis died of bleeding from a neck wound and that Shelby confessed to police that he killed her.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/regional/Evidence-wait-delays-trial-in-S-Indiana-girls-death--101880673.html

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.