April 27, 2024, 06:33:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Danice Lea Day 19, remains found/id'd missing 7 yrs. Monte Vista, CO  (Read 14080 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: September 24, 2009, 07:53:26 AM »

Sep 23, 2009 12:27

Body Found In Ariz. Lake Confirmed As Colo. Woman

DEL NORTE, Colo. (AP) ― A seven-year mystery surrounding the disappearance of a young Colorado mother of two has ended with confirmation that her body was found in a barrel in an Arizona lake.

Rio Grande County, Colo., authorities said Tuesday that DNA tests determined the body found last June in Lyman Lake was Danice Day.

She was 19 when she disappeared from the southern Colorado town of Monte Vista in 2002.

Authorities got the DNA test results Friday. The cause of death hasn't been determined, and investigators haven't said how her body ended up in Arizona.

Rio Grande County District Attorney David Mahonee said 33-year-old Victor Braun, Day's boyfriend and the father of one of her children, will be charged with manslaughter.

Sheriff Brian Norton said investigators found Day's body through "negotiations" between Braun's attorney and prosecutors.

Mahonee said without information from Braun, Day's body might never have been found.

"There were time problems," he told the Valley Courier in Alamosa. "This is a 7-year-old case and without the cooperation of the suspect and his attorney, we probably would not have been able to locate Danice."

Braun's attorney's name wasn't immediately available. Neither Mahonee nor Norton returned telephone messages left by The Associated Press Wednesday.

Braun is in the Rio Grande County jail on unrelated burglary, drug and motor vehicle theft charges. Those charges are still pending.

He is scheduled to appear in court in the Day case on Nov. 3.

Day's father, Rod Day, said the DNA confirmation brings some resolution to the family.

"I have been waiting for 7½ years to find out where my daughter was. Now I know where she is," he said.

"Am I angry?" he added. "You bet you I am angry."

Divers first searched Lyman Lake in late May and found a barrel, but Norton said it turned out to be unrelated to Day's disappearance. A second search in June turned up another barrel with what turned out to be Day's body.

One of Day's children, a daughter, is being raised by Victor Braun's father. The other, a son, is being raised by his own father.

Day once lived in Laramie, Wyo., where her mother still lives.
http://cbs4denver.com/local/Body.found.in.2.1202944.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:56:39 AM »

Danice Lea Day

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: January 9, 2002 from Monte Vista, Colorado
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: May 8, 1982
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 105 lbs.
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Hazel
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Pierced ears
and left eyebrow.
Clothing: White blouse, black jeans.
Jewelry: Toe ring, earrings, rings on several
fingers, eyebrow ring.
NCIC Number: M-036425021
Case Number: 002-02

Details of Disappearance
Day resided on a ranch in the 3900 block of Larait Road in Monte Vista, Colorado. She lived with her boyfriend, Victor Braun, who is the father of Day's young daughter. She also has a son from a previous relationship. Day was employed as a server at Dos Rios Restaurante. She was last seen departing from work after her shift on January 9, 2002. Victor told authorities that Day returned to their residence shortly afterwards. He claimed that she planned to leave the ranch with an unidentified male individual. Victor said that he and Day argued because he was not familiar with the man. Victor told investigators that she departed with the individual and has never been heard from again. Day left all of her personal belongings behind at her home, including her vehicle, keys, wallet, cellular phone and clothing.

Day's father reported her as a missing person on January 12, 2002, three days after she departed from her residence. Her family members stated that it is uncharcteristic of Day to leave her children behind. Foul play is suspected.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Rio Grande County District Attorney's Office
Chief Criminal Investigator Shawn Woods
(719) 589-3715
OR
Colorado Bureau of Investigation
Agent Dave Dauenhauer
(719) 253-3808

Source Information
National Center for Missing Adults
The Carol Sund/ Carrington Memorial Reward Foundation
Danice Day.com
The Denver Channel

http://www.nampn.org/cases/day_danice.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »

Nov 7, 2009 12:31 pm US/Mountain
Boyfriend Pleads In Death Of Woman Found In Lake

DEL NORTE, Colo. (AP) ― The boyfriend of a Colorado woman found dead in a barrel in an Arizona lake has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the case.

Thirty-three-year-old Victor Anthony Braun made the plea last week, a few months after the body of 19-year-old Danice Day was found stuffed in a barrel in Lyman Lake. She'd been missing since 2002.

Braun was being held on other charges in the Rio Grande County jail, and he led police to find his missing girlfriend's body in Lyman Lake State Park.

In exchange for his role in helping locate Day's body, Braun negotiated an agreement that involved a manslaughter plea and dismissal of other cases. Braun faces up to 12 years and has a sentencing scheduled for Dec. 10.

http://cbs4denver.com/wireapnewsco/Boyfriend.pleads.guilty.2.1298486.html

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.