March 19, 2024, 01:36:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas 11/05/09 13 dead, 43 wounded-(Murder Charges)  (Read 730159 times)
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1240 on: October 16, 2010, 03:48:41 AM »

During painful testimony, Hasan shows no emotion
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/15/AR2010101506089.html

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1241 on: October 16, 2010, 03:52:55 AM »

Witnesses in Fort Hood shooting hearing say Hasan returned to shoot same victims over and over

By Jeremy Schwartz
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Published: 8:50 p.m. Friday, Oct. 15, 2010

FORT HOOD — Testifying through a live feed from Afghanistan, Capt. Melissa Kale of the 467th Medical Detachment began to cry Friday as she described trying to help Sgt. Amy Krueger, who had been shot Nov. 5 after a gunman began spraying bullets in the Army post's Soldier Readiness Processing Center.

"I wanted to get to the east wall," she said. "I tried to pull (her) with me. I was unable to pull her. She didn't move, so I had to leave her there."

Krueger was one of 13 people killed on Nov. 5.

Maj. Eric Torina testified that he saw Maj. Libardo Caraveo killed while sitting in the waiting area of the processing center.

"I saw Maj. Caraveo was sitting like he was before, with his legs crossed and his head down, almost like he was sleeping," he said. "But I noticed a bullet hole in his head that was dripping blood."

After 29 witnesses in three days, a common thread has emerged from the soldiers who have testified against Maj. Nidal Hasan, accused of killing 13 and wounding 32 at this massive Army post.

Soldiers have testified repeatedly that Hasan opened fire on defenseless soldiers sitting in a waiting area, then hunted down wounded soldiers in an attempt to finish them off. Many of the wounded soldiers who testified had been shot multiple times while they lay on the floor. Testimony in the pretrial hearing continues on Monday and is expected to last several more weeks.

Testimony also revealed that at least two homemade videos of the shooting scene from inside the busy processing center were made by soldiers.

Pfc. Lance Aviles, who was waiting for his final medical clearance before deploying to Afghanistan, said he made two videos of the bloody scene but deleted them after he was directed to do so by superior officers. Aviles did not say why his officers wanted him to delete the videos.

Amid the terror, soldiers also testified to moments of bravery.

Spc. Logan Burnett, a soldier with a reserve combat stress unit, said he saw Capt. John Gaffaney, a 56-year-old reservist from Serra Mesa, Calif., try to attack Hasan with a chair before he was shot and killed. Burnett said that after seeing Gaffaney's example, he also tried to throw a folding table at Hasan, but he was shot in the hip before he could throw it.

Burnett said that after he was shot in the hip, Hasan shot him twice more, in the elbow and hand, as he tried to crawl into a cubicle to avoid the gunfire.

Chief Warrant Officer Christopher Royal testified that he took action after being shot in the back and seeing the gunman move toward a crowded theater hosting a graduation ceremony.

"I ran to try to get there before he got there," he said. Royal was able to tell soldiers at the theater to lock up the building.

Spc. Megan Martin with the 467th Medical Detachment said the gunman sprayed bullets at soldiers in a fanlike motion, before taking aim at individual soldiers.

"I tried to lay as still as I possibly could because he was shooting everything that moved," said Martin, who was not shot during the incident. "I couldn't look away. It was like a nightmare that replays every night."

Hasan, paralyzed from the torso down from gunshots received during the incident, sat in his wheelchair and betrayed no emotion as he sat in court, returning the stares of soldiers.

Prosecutors aim to convince Col. James Pohl, an investigative officer serving as a judge in the hearing, that Hasan should face a court-martial on 45 counts of murder and attempted murder.

Staff Sgt. Lamar Nixon, who worked at the readiness center, said he had an encounter with Hasan on the morning of the shooting.

"I said, 'How are you doing, sir?' He did not respond."

Nixon said he fled into the women's bathroom when the shooting began and he could hear "screams and gargling" coming from the other side of the door. "I thought, 'I'm going to die,'" he testified.

Nixon was eventually able to run out of the building and help several wounded soldiers make it to safety.

Martin, with the 467th Medical Detachment, said she decided to deploy with her unit less than a month after the shooting despite her harrowing experience.

"I wanted to carry on the mission as my fellow soldiers would have wanted me to," she said.

jschwartz@statesman.com;

http://www.statesman.com/news/texas/witnesses-in-fort-hood-shooting-hearing-say-hasan-974838.html

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1242 on: October 16, 2010, 03:54:22 AM »

At Hearing on Fort Hood Attack, Few Clues
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/16/us/16hearing.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Heart
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1243 on: October 16, 2010, 07:24:03 PM »

http://www.news8austin.com/content/top_stories/274681/hasan-s-article-32-hearing-wraps-up-for-the-week
(video at link)
Hasan's Article 32 hearing wraps up for the week
October 15, 2010

Witness testimony continued Friday in the Article 32 hearing for accused Fort Hood shooter Maj. Nidal Hasan.

Pfc. Lance Aviles testified that he had shot some video of the shooting on his cell phone, but he was told by his superiors to delete the footage.

Spc. Megan Martin testified via webcam from Afghanistan. She said she was at the SRP building when she noticed a man behind the counter. She said he stood, shouted and started shooting a small handgun with a green light and red laser.

Martin said she thought it was a drill until she saw a soldier get shot and fall to the ground. She said she still has nightmares of the shooting.

Capt. Melissa Kale testified that she was in the SRP with Martin. She tried to drag an injured friend to safety, but couldn't move her. Her friend later died.

All of Friday’s eyewitnesses identified Hasan as the shooter.

Hasan is charged with killing 13 people and wounding 32 others on post Nov. 5.

This Article 32 hearing will determine if he should face a court martial.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1244 on: November 05, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »

Fort Hood marks 1-year anniversary of mass shooting

Updated: Nov 05, 2010 8:24 AM CDT

FORT HOOD, TX (RNN) - A weekend of remembrance is planned in Fort Hood, TX to commemorate the first anniversary of one of the worst mass shootings on a U.S. military base in American history.

"It is an important mark in the history of Fort Hood and Central Texas that we should pause and reflect," said Fort Hood Senior Commander Maj. Gen. William Grimsley. "And [it] is an opportunity to connect spiritually and bring the community back together."

Grimsley said there was a tremendous outpouring of support and love from throughout the U.S. immediately following the Nov. 5, 2009 attack.

On that day, authorities say Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan sprayed bullets inside a crowded medical processing center at Fort Hood, killing 13 people and wounding a dozen others. The Army psychiatrist was shot four times then taken into custody by police after the shooting rampage.

According to news sources, the 40-year-old American-born Muslim began having second thoughts about a military career several years before the shooting after other soldiers harassed him for being a Muslim.

Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder. He could face the death penalty if prosecutors show his alleged actions were premeditated and deliberate.

The Army is still going through pre-trial investigation in what is called an Article 32 hearing. The military proceedings are used to gather evidence from both prosecution and defense witnesses.

The prosecution concluded its questioning in the hearing on Oct. 21. The Article 32 is adjourned until Nov. 15, when defense lawyers will have the opportunity to present evidence and witness testimony.

Fort Hood will hold both private and public ceremonies Friday.

A private award ceremony will recognize more than 50 soldiers and civilians whose actions that day went above and beyond the call of duty. A remembrance ceremony that will give the public an opportunity to pay tribute to those who died in the attack is set for 1 p.m.

On Saturday, Fort Hood will host a variety of events, including musical performances and a five-kilometer run, called Run to Remember

http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=13448910

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1245 on: November 05, 2010, 10:53:23 AM »

Post Remembers The Dead, Honors The Living On Shooting Anniversary

Fort Hood commemorates the first anniversary of the deadly post shooting rampage Friday by paying tribute to the 13 who died and honoring more than 50 who went beyond the call of duty in the chaos and confusion that followed.

FORT HOOD (November 5, 2010)—Few physical reminders remain of the shooting rampage a year ago at Fort Hood’s Soldier Readiness Center that left 12 soldiers and a civilian dead and dozens of others injured, but separate ceremonies Friday on post will pay tribute to the victims and will honor 54 soldiers and civilians whose actions went beyond the call of duty during and after the worst attack in history on a U.S. military base.

To mark the anniversary of the rampage, more than 100 members of the families of the fallen are expected to attend an invitation-only awards ceremony at 10 a.m. Friday honoring those whose actions went above the call of duty on Nov. 5, 2009.

At 1 p.m. Friday, a ceremony that’s open to the public will pay tribute to the 13 who died in the shooting.

It will be followed by a moment of silence and a post-wide retreat ceremony, after which all troops will be released from the day at 2 p.m.

Friday afternoon off post, the City of Killeen and SPJST Fraternal Organization will unveil an artist's rendering of the design for the Fort Hood November 5th, 2009 Memorial, which will be located between the Killeen Civic and Conference Center and Shilo Inn and Suites.

In a statement issued on the eve of the anniversary, Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, praised the post and surrounding communities for rallying together to emerge “even stronger following last year’s tragedy.”

“My thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones who are still struggling to cope with this tragedy and loss, as well as the greater Fort Hood community as they honor those lost and the heroes who put themselves in harm's way on that fateful day,” Cornyn said.

Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 33 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the shooting.

A hearing that will determine whether he stands trial started last month, but was recessed until after the anniversary of the rampage has passed.

The commemoration continues on Saturday with memorial runs and later a concert.

Saturday Events
(Source: Fort Hood)

On Nov. 6, the installation will host a series of running events called “Run to Remember.” The public is invited to take part in a one-mile fun run, a five-kilometer run or a 13.1-mile half marathon. At each of the mile markers of the half marathon, the installation will place a placard which includes a photo of one of the 13 Nov. 5 fallen. Additionally, more than 550 gold stars commemorating all of the Fort Hood Soldiers who have made the ultimate sacrifice over the past seven years of combat will be placed along the route. The runs are set to begin at 8 a.m. Race-day registration costs $20, and begins at 6:30 a.m. at the venue. To sign up early, call 285-5459 or visit www.hoodmwr.com and click on the Run to Remember icon.

Beginning at noon Nov. 6, entertainers will perform in Rock the Hood. The entertainers include Puddle of Mudd, Elvis Crespo, Flyleaf, Chris Cagle and Nas. This free event is open to the public. Shuttle service to Sadowski Field will be available from designated parking lots on the installation. Call 286-5342 for details.

Fort Hood's Dead

Mike Cahill, Cameron

Mike Cahill, 62, of Cameron was among the 13 people killed in a shooting rampage Thursday at the Soldier Readiness Center at Fort Hood. , Cahill, a civilian physician’s assistant, helped treat soldiers returning from tours of duty or preparing for deployment. Often, his daughter Keely Vanacker said, Cahill would walk young soldiers where they needed to go, just to make sure they got the right treatment. "He loved his patients, and his patients loved him," said Vanacker, 33, the oldest of Cahill's three adult children. "He just felt his job was important." Cahill, who was born in Spokane, Wash., had worked as a civilian contractor at Fort Hood for about four years, after jobs in rural health clinics and at Veterans Affairs hospitals. He and his wife, Joleen, had been married 37 years. Vanacker described her father as a gregarious man and a voracious reader who could talk for hours about any subject. The family's typical Thanksgiving dinners ended with board games and long conversations over the table, said Vanacker, whose voice often cracked with emotion as she remembered her father. "Now, who I am going to talk to?"

Major L. Eduardo Caraveo, Virginia

Major L. Eduardo Caraveo, 52, arrived in the United States in his teens from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, knowing very little English said his son, who’s also named Eduardo Caraveo. He earned his doctorate in psychology from the University of Arizona and worked with bilingual special-needs students at Tucson-area schools before entering private practice. His son told the Arizona Daily Star in Tucson that Caraveo arrived at Fort Hood on Wednesday and was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. Eduardo Caraveo spoke to the newspaper from his mother's Tucson home. His father's Web site says he offered marriage seminars with a company based in Woodbridge, Va. He was assigned to the 467th Medical Detachment, Madison, Wis.

Staff Sgt. Justin M. DeCrow, Georgia

Staff Sgt. Justin M. DeCrow, 32, was helping train soldiers on how to help new veterans with paperwork and had felt safe on the Army post. "He was on a base," his wife, Marikay DeCrow, said in a telephone interview from the couple's home at Fort Gordon, Ga., where she hoped to be reunited with her husband once he finished his work at Fort Hood. "They should be safe there. They should be safe." His wife said she wanted everyone to know what a loving man he was. The DeCrows have a 13-year-old daughter, Kylah. "He was well loved by everyone," she said through sobs. "He was a loving father and husband and he will be missed by all." DeCrow's father, Daniel DeCrow, of Fulton, Ind., said his son graduated high school in Plymouth, Ind., and married his high school sweetheart that summer before joining the Army. The couple moved near Fort Gordon about five years ago, he said. About a year ago, his son was stationed in Korea for a year. When he returned to the U.S., the Army moved him to Fort Hood while he waited for a position to open up in Fort Gordon so he could move back with his wife and daughter, Daniel DeCrow said. DeCrow said he talked to his son last week to ask him how things were going at Fort Hood. "As usual, the last words out of my mouth to him were that I was proud of him," he said. "That's what I said to him every time - that I loved him and I was proud of what he was doing. I can carry that around in my heart." He was assigned to the 16th Signal Company, Fort Hood.

Capt. John Gaffaney, California

Capt. John Gaffaney, 56, was a psychiatric nurse who worked for San Diego County, Calif., for more than 20 years and had arrived at Fort Hood the day before the shooting to prepare for a deployment to Iraq. Gaffaney, who was born in Williston, N.D., had served in the Navy and later the California National Guard as a younger man, his family said. After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, he tried to sign up again for military service. Although the Army Reserves at first declined, he got the call about two years ago asking him to rejoin, said his close friend and co-worker Stephanie Powell. "He wanted to help the boys in Iraq and Afghanistan deal with the trauma of what they were seeing," Powell said. "He was an honorable man. He just wanted to serve in any way he can." His family described him as an avid baseball card collector and fan of the San Diego Padres who liked to read military novels and ride his Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Gaffaney supervised a team of six social workers, including Powell, at the county's Adult Protective Services department. Ellen Schmeding, assistant deputy director for the county's Health and Human Services Agency, said Gaffaney was a strong leader. He is survived by a wife and a son. He was assigned to the 1908th Medical Company, Independence, Mo.

Spc. Frederick Greene, Tennessee

Spc. Frederick Greene, 29, of Mountain City, Tenn., was assigned to the 16th Signal Company, Fort Hood, Texas. He went by the nickname "Freddie" and was active at Baker's Gap Baptist Church while he was growing up, said Glenn Arney, the church's former superintendent and a former co-worker of Greene's.

Spc. Jason Dean Hunt, Oklahoma

Spc. Jason Dean Hunt, 22, was among the 13 people killed Thursday at Fort Hood, family members in Oklahoma said. Gale Hunt of Frederick said Friday two uniformed soldiers came to her door at 11:30 p.m. Thursday to notify her of the death of her son. She said her son joined the military after graduation from Tipton High School, and had served three and a-half years, including a stint in Iraq. He was married two months ago. He was previously stationed at Fort Stewart in Georgia. She described him as family-oriented and quiet and said he enjoyed video games. He was assigned to the 1st Brigade,
Fort Hood.

Sgt. Amy Krueger, Wisconsin

Sgt. Amy Krueger, 29, of Kiel, Wis., joined the Army after the 2001 terrorist attacks and had vowed to take on Osama bin Laden. Her mother, Jeri Krueger, says Amy Krueger had arrived at Fort Hood on Tuesday. She told the Herald Times Reporter of Manitowoc, Wis., that her daughter was scheduled to be sent to Afghanistan in December. Jeri Krueger recalls telling her daughter that she could not take on bin Laden by herself. The mother recalls her daughter's response: "Watch me." Kiel High School Principal Dario Talerico told The Associated Press that Krueger graduated from the school in 1998 and had spoken at least once to local elementary school students about her career. Talerico says he remembers Amy Krueger as "a very good kid, who like most kids in a small town are just looking for what their next step in life was going to be and she chose the military. Once she got into the military, she really connected with that kind of lifestyle and was really proud to serve her country." She was assigned to the 467th Medical Company, Madison, Wis.

Pfc. Aaron Thomas Nemelka, Utah

Pfc. Aaron Thomas Nemelka, 19, who was from the Salt Lake City suburb of West Jordan, Utah, chose to join the Army instead of going on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to his uncle, Christopher Nemelka, who says, , "As a person, Aaron was as soft and kind and as gentle as they come, a sweetheart." He says that what he "loved about the kid was his independence of thought." Aaron Nemelka was the youngest of four children. His family says he was scheduled to be deployed to Afghanistan in January. Utah National Guard Lt. Col. Lisa Olsen says Nemelka had enlisted in the Army in October 2008. He was assigned to the 510th
Engineer Company, 20th Engineer Battalion, Fort Hood.

Pfc. Michael Pearson, Illinois

Pfc. Michael Pearson, 21, of Bolingbrook, Ill. was one of the 13 people killed in the shooting rampage. Sheryll Pearson told the Chicago Tribune that she and her husband found out Thursday that their son was killed in the attack. She said her son joined the Army more than a year ago and was training to deactivate bombs. She said she and her husband received a call from their son's sergeant at Fort Hood. He told them their son had been shot three times, and an Army surgeon later called to say he had died. Sheryll Pearson says the loss has left the family "all very angry." Neighbor Jessica Koerber says the family has "lost their gem." She said Michael loved playing with his nieces and nephews and enjoyed playing guitar. She calls him "a great kid." He was assigned to the 510th Engineer Company, 20th Engineer Battalion, Fort Hood.

Capt. Russell Seager, Wisconsin

Capt. Russell Seager, 51, of Racine, Wis., was assigned to the 467th Medical Company, Madison, Wis. Seager was a psychiatrist who joined the Army because he wanted to help veterans returning to civilian life. His brother-in-law, Dennis Prudhomme, said he worked with soldiers at the Veterans Affairs hospital. Seager was scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan in December.

Pvt. Francheska Velez, Illinois

Relatives say 21-year-old Francheska Velez of Chicago is among the 13 people killed when an Army psychiatrist opened fire. Her father, Juan Guillermo Velez, said she only recently returned from deployment in Iraq. She was preparing to come home because she was pregnant. He likens her death on U.S. soil after serving her country to a slap in the face. He clutched pictures of his daughter as he spoke on a family porch. A friend of Velez, Sasha Ramos, describes her as a fun-loving person who wrote poetry and loved dancing. She was assigned to the 15th Combat Support Battalion, Fort Hood.

Lt. Col. Juanita Warman, Maryland

Lt. Col. Juanita Warman, 55, of Havre De Grace, Md., was a military physician assistant with two daughters and six grandchildren. Her sister, Margaret Yaggie of Roaring Branch in north-central Pennsylvania, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that her sister attended Pittsburgh Langley High School and put herself through school at the University of Pittsburgh. She said her sister spent most of her career in the military. She was assigned to the 1908th Medical Company, Independence, Mo.

Spc. Kham Xiong, Minnesota

A St. Paul, Minnesota soldier is among those who were killed in the Fort Hood massacre. Army Spc. Kham Xiong was shot and killed before he ever had a chance to go to war. He was at Fort Hood, preparing for a deployment in Iraq around New Year's. Xiong's wife and three children had been with him in Texas for five months, as he got ready for his assignment. The rest of his family is in St. Paul where Xiongs’ father, Chor, says he will always be proud of his son. Family members say Xiong was in line for a physical when the shooting broke out. His wife sent him a text message, telling him to come home for lunch and go back for the physical later. But Xiong texted back, “No, I’ll stay. It's almost my turn." Xiong has ten siblings, including a 17-year-old brother, who's a Marine in Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 510th Engineer Company, 20th Engineer Battalion, Fort Hood.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Post_Remembers_The_Dead_Honors_The_Living_On_Shooting_Anniversary_106733968.html

Heart
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1246 on: November 16, 2010, 05:04:09 AM »

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/DN-forthoodshooting_16ent.ART.State.Edition1.4b3c426.html
Nidal Hasan's defense offers no evidence, witnesses in Fort Hood killings case
November 16, 2010

FORT HOOD, Texas – With two words, "yes" and "no," Army Maj. Nidal Hasan declined to offer any statement Monday in a pretrial hearing on his role in last year's massacre at a post soldier readiness center.

The Army psychiatrist's defense lawyers took less than a minute to inform the hearing's presiding officer that they would offer no evidence or witnesses. In a soft, clear voice, Hasan said he understood that he had the right to speak.

His terse answers to the hearing officer, Col. James L. Pohl, followed eight days of prosecution testimony linking Hasan to the massacre on Nov. 5, 2009. More than a dozen witnesses identified Hasan as the uniformed man who stood near a crowded waiting area and opened fire. Just before the shooting began, many witnesses heard the gunman yell, "Allahu akbar," the Arabic-language Muslim exhortation meaning "God is great."

Within 10 minutes, 13 people were dead and 32 were wounded. A civilian police officer stopped the rampage by wounding Hasan, leaving him paralyzed.

Hasan faces 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of premeditated attempted murder. The pretrial proceeding, known as an Article 32 hearing, will help Army commanders determine whether Hasan should face a full court-martial.

Pohl now will write a detailed report recommending how the case should go forward, a process likely to take months.

Most legal experts predict that prosecutors ultimately will seek the death penalty.

The defense team's best hope of persuading a jury of 12 officers to spare Hasan may lie in making a case that the Army ignored Hasan's instability. Hasan's colleagues reportedly raised concerns that he seemed obsessed with the idea that U.S. military actions amounted to a war on Islam.

After Monday's proceeding, Hasan's chief defense lawyer, retired Col. John Galligan of Belton, hinted at groundwork for such a defense. He said the defense's decision not to present evidence was partially based on the government's refusal to hand over full results of three investigations.

Those include a continuing inquiry into some of Hasan's supervisors at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, a White House-ordered review of U.S. intelligence monitoring of Hasan's contacts with Islamic militants and a portion of a Defense Department investigation that hasn't been made public.

When prosecutors concluded their pretrial case last month, they told Pohl that senior intelligence officials had decided not to release the White House report to Hasan's lawyers because it was classified.

Galligan noted Monday that he asked nearly a year ago to have his security clearance reinstated.

"If you don't get a proper pretrial process, regardless of what the evidence is, you can't have a fair trial," Galligan said.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1247 on: January 14, 2011, 06:43:04 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/news/Accused-Ft-Hood-shooters-mental-health-report-release-postponed-113612524.html
Accused Ft. Hood shooter's mental health report release postponed
January 14,2011

The release of a report about the accused Fort Hood shooter's mental health is being postponed.   

The attorney for Army Major Nidal Hasan says an Army colonel granted a panel of health professionals a week-long extension to submit the report.

It is now due to be released next Friday.

The three-member panel will decide if Major Hasan is competent to stand trial, and what his mental state was the day of the November 2009 shooting on post.

Hasan is accused of killing 13 people and wounding 32 others.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1248 on: January 24, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-01-22/justice/texas.fort.hood.suspect_1_army-psychiatrist-maj-nidal-hasan-fort-hood?_s=PM:CRIME
Fort Hood suspect awaits decision on whether he is fit to stand trial
January 22, 2011

A mental health evaluation of the Fort Hood shooting suspect has been completed -- the next to final step in determining whether Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan is fit to stand trial, according to a Fort Hood spokesman.

Fort Hood public affairs officer Christopher Haug confirmed that the mental evaluation had been delivered to prosecutors, the defense lawyers, and to Col. Morgan Lamb, the senior military officer who must decide whether the case will move to a court martial.

The key question is still unknown: whether the report found that Hasan is competent to stand trial.
Hasan is charged with killing 13 people and wounding 32 in November 2009 at a soldier processing center on Fort Hood, the nation's largest military base.

Mental health experts had to submit their report on Hasan by the end of the week. Their determination on competency -- as well as his state of mind at the time of shootings -- could clear the way for Hasan to face a court martial and possible death penalty.

This latest legal milestone in the case comes just days before a Senate committee is set to release a report about still-secret intelligence and Army information about Hasan. The Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee will also hold a hearing about whether the government could have, but failed, to prevent the shootings.

The panel of mental health experts appointed by the Army spent several days in early December evaluating Hasan at the local civilian jail where he is held near Fort Hood.

Witnesses at a preliminary hearing in November identified Hasan in the courtroom as the man they heard shout "God is great" in Arabic before opening fire with a handgun. He fired more than 200 rounds before he was shot by police. He is partially paralyzed, from the chest down, and uses a wheelchair.

Hasan's defense attorney, former military judge John Galligan, has been highly critical of how the government has pursued the case and has complained that he has been denied government documents vital to defending his client.

Galligan claims that the government failed to act even after intelligence agencies had advance knowledge that Hasan was communicating with Muslim radicals overseas. Galligan also says that Hasan's Army superiors turned a blind eye to his behavior when they evaluated his professional performance and promoted and transferred him.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1249 on: January 24, 2011, 12:05:02 PM »

http://www.kxxv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13886845
Decision if Hasan will face a court-martial expected Friday
January 21, 2011

FORT HOOD - The final step in deciding whether Nidal Hasan will face court-martial is expected to be decided on Friday.

Hasan is accused of killing 13 and wounding 32 others on Fort Hood on Nov. 5, 2009.

Both the defense and the government have received a copy of the report, and both sides are reviewing it, however, it will be up to Col. Morgan Lamb to decide whether Hasan will face a court-martial.

Col. Lamb is reviewing the recommendations made by a three-person health panel that have been meeting with Hasan in the Bell County Jail.

This highly-anticipated report was supposed to come out last week, but was postponed until Friday.

Col. James Pohl recommended in November that Hasan be court-martialed and face the death penalty.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1250 on: January 24, 2011, 12:07:03 PM »

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Busy_Week_Ahead_in_Fort_Hood_Shooting_Rampage_Investigation_114465834.html
video
Busy Week Ahead In Fort Hood Shooting Rampage Investigation
January 23, 2011

FORT HOOD (January 23, 2011) - The attorney for Maj. Nidal Hasan, the Army psychiatrist accused of the November 2009 attack at Fort Hood, says he is planning to pick up Hasan's mental evaluation report on Monday.

The report will help determine if Hasan is competent to stand trial.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they said, he's ready to go." John Galligan, Hasan's attorney said Sunday night.

Hasan is charged with killing 13 and injuring 32 at Fort Hood in November 2009.

The Army-appointed panel evaluated Hasan in the Bell County Jail in December.

"They had to go outside the army, outside the State of Texas, outside the normal procedures to find three people who would evaluate my client, okay? What does that tell you?" Galligan said.

An Army spokesman said Col. Morgan Lamb received the report on Friday, and will review it before determining if Hasan is fit to face court martial.

This all comes as the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee gets set to hold a hearing on the matter on Thursday morning.

The hearing is entitled, "A Ticking Time Bomb: Counter-terrorism Lessons from the U.S. Government's Failure to Prevent the Fort Hood Attack."

The committee is also set to release some never-disclosed Army intelligence reports detailing what the military knew about Hasan leading up to the attack.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1251 on: January 26, 2011, 09:24:20 AM »

http://austin.ynn.com/content/top_stories/276288/defense-for-accused-fort-hood-shooter-granted-delay
Defense for accused Fort Hood shooter granted delay
January 25, 2011

The defense team for accused Fort Hood shooter Maj. Nidal Hasan was granted a delay in meeting with Army officials Tuesday.

According to Fort Hood officials, Col. Morgan Lamb, the special court martial convening authority in the case, is now scheduled to meet with the defense Feb. 23.

During that meeting, the defense will present any additional matters they would like Lamb to consider before he makes his recommendation on the case.

Under the military justice system, the special court martial convening authority can refer the charges to a special court martial or forward the charges to the general court martial convening authority.

Last November, the investigating officer in Hasan's Article 32 hearing recommended that the case be referred to a general court martial. The general court martial is considered the highest level of the military court martial, with death as the maximum punishment.

Tuesday's delay comes after a mental evaluation report was submitted to both the defense and Army officials last week. Hasan's civilian defense attorney John Galligan has yet to release any details on what was contained in the report.

The report is supposed to be an assessment of whether Hasan is mentally competent to stand trial.

Hasan has been charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder, and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder for the Nov. 5, 2009 shootings at Fort Hood.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1252 on: February 03, 2011, 06:35:40 PM »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7411421.html
Report: Fort Hood massacre could have been prevented
February, 3, 2011

An exhaustive inquiry by the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs has concluded that the Fort Hood massacre allegedly carried out by Army Maj. Nidal Hasan could have — and should have - been prevented, a year-long report released Thursday shows.

The Senate committee found the FBI and the Army failed to act on evidence "in plain sight" that the 40-year-old Army psychiatrist was communicating with radical Islamic cleric Anwar al-Awlaki in Yemen and becoming an increasingly radicalized Muslim during his medical training at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

"The painful conclusion is that Fort Hood attack could have and should have been prevented," said Sen. Joe Lieberman, the Connecticut independent who chairs the Senate panel.
(snipped)
"The officers who kept Hasan in the military and moved him steadily along knew full well of his problematic behavior," the report found. "As the officer who assigned Hasan to Fort Hood (and later decided to deploy Hasan to Afghanistan) admitted to an officer at Fort Hood, 'you're getting our worst.' "

The 89-page Senate report, the most definitive public accounting of government awareness of Hasan's pre-attack activities, was sent to the Pentagon, the FBI and the national intelligence community with a committee request for reaction as soon as possible. Lieberman said the report also was being sent to Obama.

The report urged the Pentagon to develop policies that would enable service members to identify and warn superiors about evidence of "violent Islamist extremism" emerging in the ranks. The panel also urged FBI headquarters to more fully integrate the 56 field offices so that tips and evaluations are more quickly and widely shared about potential terrorist targets.
(snip)

Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1253 on: February 20, 2011, 09:36:46 AM »

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition: The Zeigler-Hansen Family

Written by TVG   
Friday, 18 February 2011 11:28

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition: The Zeigler-Hansen FamilyExtreme Makeover: Home Edition

The Zeigler-Hansen Family

Sunday at 8/7c 0n ABC

"EXTREME MAKEOVER: HOME EDITION" DELIVERS A MILITARY WEDDING AND A FRESH START TO A LUCKY COUPLE ONE YEAR AFTER THE FORT HOOD TRAGEDY.

Our Sponsor

"Zeigler-Hansen" - "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" traveled to Fort Hood, Texas a year after tragedy struck the base to deliver a fresh start to one lucky couple. On November 5, 2009, a gunman fired more than 100 rounds at soldiers and civilians on base. In the aftermath, 13 people were left dead and 32 others were wounded. Among those caught in the crossfire... Patrick Zeigler, a soldier who had only returned from Iraq two weeks prior. On that ill-fated day, Zeigler was hit four times, with a near fatal gunshot to the head. Patrick's life was forever changed. Upon hearing of his tragedy, fiancŽe Jessica Hansen put her college degree on hold in order to be by Patrick's side and to aid in his recovery. Now the couple will discover that love conquers all, on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 20 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

more...

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/index.php/abc/114-extreme-makeover-home-edition/10346-extreme-makeover-home-edition-the-zeigler-hansen-family

watch extreme makeover home edition s08e18 zeigler-hansen family megav
http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/aSGuest86862-843719-watch-extreme-makeover-home-edition-s08e18-zeigler-hansen-family-megav/

Facebook: Patrick Zeigler
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Patrick-Zeigler/328122765624

Heart
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1254 on: March 05, 2011, 12:18:31 PM »

http://www.kvue.com/news/Fort-Hood-suspect-a-step-closer-to-court-martial-117420963.html
Fort Hood suspect a step closer to court-martial
March 4, 2011

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1255 on: March 06, 2011, 10:39:44 AM »

http://www.kvue.com/news/state/117485678.html
With Video
Wounded Fort Hood soldier back in hospital after fall
March 6, 2011

FORT WORTH  (AP) — The soldier most severely wounded in the Fort Hood shooting rampage was hospitalized Saturday in Nevada after an unexpected injury, a possible setback to what doctors have called a miraculous recovery in the past 16 months.

Army Staff Sgt. Patrick Zeigler, 29, was on a ventilator after surgery to remove a blood clot, said Chris Haug, a Fort Hood spokesman. Zeigler was taken to the hospital Friday when he complained of headaches after falling in his Reno, Nev., hotel room, Haug said. Zeigler and his wife went to Reno for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation's convention, where the group presented the soldier with a free hunting trip planned for later this year.

Since being shot four times in the November 2009 rampage that left 13 people dead on the Texas Army post, Zeigler has had half a dozen surgeries that removed about 20 percent of his brain. He has been in and out of hospitals and rehabilitation centers, sometimes for six months at a time.
 ::snipping2::

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1256 on: March 10, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/10/army-punish-officers-connection-fort-hood-shootings/
Army to Punish Nine Officers in Connection With Fort Hood Shootings
March 10, 2011

The Army announced Thursday it will punish nine officers in connection with the Fort Hood shootings for "leadership failures relating to the career of Maj. Hasan."
The Army does not identify the officers who will be punished nor does it reveal their specific punishments.
(Read the press release from the Army at the above link)

Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1257 on: May 23, 2011, 12:57:44 PM »

APNewsBreak: Civilian who was first to try stopping Fort Hood shooter gets medal posthumously

ANGELA K. BROWN  Associated Press
    First Posted: May 23, 2011 - 12:08 pm
    Last Updated: May 23, 2011 - 12:08 pm

FORT WORTH, Texas — The man credited with being the first to try to stop the Fort Hood gunman is getting an Army heroism medal more than a year after he died in the rampage.

Fort Hood officials say Michael Cahill will receive the honor Monday afternoon at the Texas post.

Soon after gunfire erupted on Nov. 5, 2009, Cahill ran at the gunman with a chair over his head before being fatally shot. That's according to testimony at an evidentiary hearing last fall for the suspect, Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan.

Cahill, the lone civilian slain in the shooting, was among 13 killed and more than two dozen wounded. Fort Hood officials say Cahill's position as a civilian contractor made him ineligible for a military award, so getting approval took time.

http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/view/story/3549c6b83b984c1cb7244c6003754a80/TX--Fort-Hood-Shooting-Medal/

Heart
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1258 on: July 06, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2011/07/06/hasan_to_face_courtmartial_pos.html
Hasan to face court-martial, possible death penalty
July 6, 2011

Fort Hood’s commanding general today ordered a general court-martial for the Army psychiatrist charged in the 2009 massacre, a move that could lead to a potential death penalty.
Maj. Nidal Hasan (pictured) will face 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder. The order, which is comparable to an indictment in the civilian court system, comes seven months after a pretrial hearing in which nearly 60 victims and witnesses testified that Hasan opened fire inside a busy readiness processing center at the sprawling post that was filled with soldiers about to deploy to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Fort Hood officials said Wednesday that a military judge has not yet been named, nor has Hasan’s arraignment been scheduled.
fter the Article 32 pretrial hearing, a military judge and the commander of Hasan’s unit both recommended Hasan face a death penalty court-martial,

Lt. Gen. Donald Campbell ordered the court-martial despite pleas from Hasan’s defense attorneys not to seek the death penalty,

Lead defense attorney John Galligan has called such a trial costly and time consuming. Military law prevents Hasan from pleading guilty in a capital court-martial.
If sentenced to death, Hasan would join six soldiers sitting on the Army’s death row at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.

But military death penalty cases are notoriously difficult to prosecute. Several have been overturned on appeal, and an execution requires a presidential approval. No service member has been executed since 1961.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1259 on: July 12, 2011, 10:48:17 AM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/fort-hood-shooting-suspect-to-face-death-penalty-some-victims-celebrate-ruling-others-solemn/2011/07/07/gIQApuym1H_story.html
Fort Hood shooting suspect to face death penalty; some victims celebrate ruling, others solemn
July 7, 2011

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.