March 19, 2024, 04:21:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas 11/05/09 13 dead, 43 wounded-(Murder Charges)  (Read 730206 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1480 on: August 08, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/justice/hasan-court-martial/
Not allowed to drop out, Nidal Hasan defense team in 'morally repugnant' spot
By Josh Rubin. Josh Levs and Chelsea J. Carter, CNN

updated 12:01 PM EDT, Thu August 8, 2013

Video at Link

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1481 on: August 08, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »

August 8, 2013 Tweets
https://twitter.com/jasonwhitely

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 9m
Guerra: "I went over to SPC Nemelka and I put a 'D' on his forehead and I looked at my watch and wrote 1325." Cahill & Krueger, too.

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 11m
#Hasan massacre survivor: "I said if they were dead. I will mark their foreheads. You need to move on. TRIAGE! TRIAGE!"

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 11m
Guerra: "...And no one came out at first. So I yelled again! SOLDIERS DOWN! NURSES AND MEDICS GET THE **** OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!”

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 12m
Guerra: "I started yelling 'MASS CAL, MASS CAL, NURSES AND MEDICS, SOLDIERS DOWN! SOLDIERS DOWN!'

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 13m
Guerra: "It was so dark because of intense smoke that was in the room. I could taste it and I could see it."

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1482 on: August 08, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »

I just came across these tweets and they up to 4 hours old, but I'd like to post them for content.

August 8, 2013 Tweets
https://twitter.com/ChrisShadrock

Fort Hood Shootings ‏@FtHoodShootings 1h
Archuletta on shooting response: "It was hard to switch over to that combat ready mode." #hasan #forthood
 Retweeted by Chris Shadrock

Chris Shadrock ‏@ChrisShadrock 1h
#Hasan does not cross examine the witness, on the stand now Sgt 1st Class Maria Guerra #HasanTrial

Archuletta went back inside building one more time and all that remained were the soldiers that had dies. #HasanTrial

See's Juanita L. Warman and quotes her as saying, " I am not gonna make it, I am going to die" #HasanTrial

Archuletta got emotional several times, told 2 civilian nurses to stop CPR on a deceased soldier #HasanTrial

The testimony is very graphic, recalls seeing several dead soldiers,  #HasanTrial

Came in midway through Sgt. Monique Archuletta's (ret) testimony. #HasanTrial

Chris Shadrock ‏@ChrisShadrock 2h
Here is another of Staff Sgt Davis testifying, he heard Velez cry out, "my baby, my baby" #HasanTrial pic.twitter.com/VJBZwYpKtX

Chris Shadrock ‏@ChrisShadrock 2h
New sketch shows #Hasan standby counsel before the Judge. #HasanTrial pic.twitter.com/WgyS64Me8I

Chris Shadrock ‏@ChrisShadrock 3h
#Hasan does not cross examine, now a 15 min recess #HasanTrial

As Davis was running outside, he says he saw lots of blood and bodies on the ground near station 13 #HasanTrial

Davis was shot once in the left shoulder #HasanTrial

Testifying that he heard "is someone going to take this guy out?" and "go go go he is reloading" #HasanTrial

Staff Sgt. Michael Davis is now taking the stand. #HasanTrial

Hasan did not cross examine Carroll or Cox. #HasanTrial

He basically said he knew Francheska Velez and that she was pregnant the day she was killed. #HasanTrial

1st. Sgt. James Cox (ret) briefly took the stand #HasanTrial

Carroll is able to ID #Hasan as the shooter, #HasanTrial

Carroll was shot 4 times, left shoulder, mid back, leg, and right bicep. #HasanTrial

That solider he tried to help, Pvt 1st Class Aaron Nelmelka died the day of the shooting #HasanTrial

Carroll tried to get another solider out, when he was shot again. #HasanTrial

Carroll was unsure what was going on at first, felt a sharp pain in his shoulder #HasanTrial

Sgt John Carroll is now on the stand was preparing to deploy for the first time. #HasanTrial

Chris Shadrock ‏@ChrisShadrock 4h
Hasan will not cross examine Suttinger  #HasanTrial

Suttinger is ID-ing the 5 dead she helped the day of the shooting #HasanTrial
Expand
Suttinger says she never saw the shooter #HasanTrial
Expand
Suttinger says they used tables and partitions to get injured soldiers outside to staging area. #HasanTrial
Expand
Suttinger said the dead and wounded she saw/helped were dressed in ACU's #HasanTrial
Expand
Suttinger heard gun fire, said it lasted less than 3 min. saw a solider, believed he was dead. #HasanTrial
Expand
Major Suttinger on the stand, describing the day of the shooting. #HasanTrial

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1483 on: August 08, 2013, 04:05:42 PM »

August 8, 2013 Tweets
https://twitter.com/ChrisShadrock

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 56m
Guerra: "...And no one came out at first. So I yelled again! SOLDIERS DOWN! NURSES AND MEDICS GET THE **** OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!”

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 57m
Guerra: "I started yelling 'MASS CAL, MASS CAL, NURSES AND MEDICS, SOLDIERS DOWN! SOLDIERS DOWN!'

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1484 on: August 08, 2013, 04:10:05 PM »

http://interactives.kxan.com/photomojo/gallery/8560/1/day-3-fort-hood-shooting-trial/courtroom-sketches/
Day 3: Fort Hood shooting trial
After an unexpected ending to a day that had an unexpected start on Day 2 of Maj. Nidal Hasan's trial in Fort Hood, the case got back on track for Day 3.

(seven courtroom sketches)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1485 on: August 08, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »

August 8, 2013 Tweets
https://twitter.com/chrissadeghi

Chris Sadeghi ‏@chrissadeghi 18m
Private Lance Aviles was in the SRP during attack. Asked if he saw shooter in courtroom today.... "He look like s***, but I see him." #Hasan

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1486 on: August 08, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »

August 8, 2013 Tweets

Kaitlin Nicole ‏@TheLittleTexian 47m
Thanks to @JasonWhitely for updating on the #Hassan trial! Really appreciate it! 🇺🇸 #GodBlessOurTroops
 Retweeted by Jason Whitely

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1487 on: August 08, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »

I agree with posting the trial as it is and I appreciate the tweets Mr. Whitely and others are sending.  Not that graphic imo., all things considered.  I wasn't happy the judge disallowed photos taken of the bodies with the D and time of death marked.  It is what it is.  JMHO

August 8, 2013 Tweets

(opened "view" conversations)

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 1h

@JasonWhitely Mr.Whitely,I hope someone who was close to incident doesn't reading your tweet.Too graphic.

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 3m
@angelorphan It was all said in open court. Many victims families are here trying to get in to hear it first hand.
1:31 PM - 8 Aug 13 · Details

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1488 on: August 08, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/texas/judge-deciding-if-hasan-seeking-death
Judge: Counsel must remain on case
Assisting lawyers say defendant dooming his case

Updated: Thursday, 08 Aug 2013, 3:57 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 08 Aug 2013, 8:38 AM CDT

(2pgs)

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1489 on: August 08, 2013, 05:50:37 PM »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/judge-fort-hood-hasan-can-keep-representing-himself-218839241.html
Fort Hood survivors recount terror of Hasan’s massacre in vivid detail
Posted on August 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Updated today at 3:30 PM
WFAA
By Jason Whitely

Editor’s note: This story contains graphic testimony from survivors of the 2009 massacre as they testified on Thursday in the court martial trial of Maj. Nidal Hasan.
FORT HOOD – One victim pled for the life of the child inside her. Another three were gunned down as they charged their attacker with chairs. Another comforted victims while desperately trying to stay out of his line of sight. And after the shooter left, another began marking the foreheads of the dead with the letter "D" –– there were other living victims to attend to.
Thursday was another gripping and graphic day in the court martial of Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan as survivors recalled in vivid detail the 2009 massacre he’s accused of committing.
He faces 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder. If convicted, he faces the death penalty. Hasan is representing himself.
More...

Video at Link

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1490 on: August 08, 2013, 11:06:14 PM »

August 8, 2013 Tweets

Chris Sadeghi ‏@chrissadeghi 2h
The #HasanTrial through the art of Brigitte Woosley. She's done a fantastic job. https://vine.co/v/hhbaV1WxQ1Q

Chris Sadeghi ‏@chrissadeghi 4h
Recap of today's #HasanTrial, including a detailed account of Maria Guerra's intense testimony. http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/texas/judge-deciding-if-hasan-seeking-death

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1491 on: August 08, 2013, 11:09:25 PM »

August 8, 2013 Tweets

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 41m
@RepMattKrause Thank you! Appreciate the follow. Keep those survivors in your thoughts and prayers!

Matt Krause ‏@RepMattKrause 51m
@jasonwhitely has done a fantastic job today covering a difficult story. Heart-wrenching reporting from the Ft. Hood massacre hearings.

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 3h
UPDATE: After presenting 27-witnesses in 3 days, prosecution in #Hasan trial might rest next week. Then #Hasan himself can take the stand.

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 4h
@juskurius Thanks. It was a tough day for anyone to be in court- experienced soldiers and family member of the victim. Appreciate the follow

Jason Wheeler ‏@jasonwheelertv 4h
No cameras in #Hasan trial at Fort Hood, but none needed with expert storytelling of @wfaachannel8's @JasonWhitely http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/judge-fort-hood-hasan-can-keep-representing-himself-218839241.html

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 4h
@jasonwheelertv Thanks my friend. Such a tragic day.

Sandra Barry ‏@sandra_barry 6h
Graphic but powerful account of #HasanTrial Day 3, from @JasonWhitely: http://bit.ly/178L4RR

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 5h
@LSCtheliverlady Thank you for the follow Linda. Keeps these survivors in your thoughts.

Linda S.Callaway ‏@LSCtheliverlady 6h
@JasonWhitely TkU for the gripping coverage.Truely heartbreaking #HasanTrial #RememberingTheVictims

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 6h
GRAPHIC testimony as survivors recount terror of #Hasan's massacre. Warning the story contains explicit descriptions. http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/judge-fort-hood-hasan-can-keep-representing-himself-218839241.html

Jason Whitely ‏@JasonWhitely 6h
@BravaTwitta Thanks. You couldn't help but to tear up listening to the terrifying experience survivors recalled.

Matt Goodman ‏@goodmoine 6h
.@JasonWhitely's Fort Hood shooting, Hasan court martial coverage is thorough and heartbreaking today: http://bit.ly/178L4RQ

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1492 on: August 08, 2013, 11:21:53 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/08/nidal-hasan-standby-lawye_n_3726144.html
Fort Hood Trial: Kris Poppe, Nidal Hasan's Standby Lawyer, Wants To Be Removed
By NOMAAN MERCHANT and PAUL J. WEBER 08/08/13 07:15 PM ET EDT    AP

ORT HOOD, Texas — The soldier on trial for the 2009 shooting rampage at Fort Hood was allowed to continue representing himself on Thursday after the judge ordered his standby attorneys to stay on as advisers, despite their claims that the Army psychiatrist was trying to secure his own death sentence.

The military lawyers ordered to help Maj. Nidal Hasan had asked the judge to either scale back their advisory duties or allow them to take over his defense. They believe Hasan is trying to convince jurors to convict him and sentence him to death for the attack that killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others at the Texas military base.

The judge, Col. Tara Osborn, denied that request Thursday in a heated exchange with the lead standby attorney, saying it was clear that the lawyers simply disagreed with Hasan's defense strategy. Hasan has been largely silent during the trial, and he objected only once Thursday as more than a dozen witnesses testified.

But the attorneys were adamant and said they would appeal Osborn's ruling to a higher court.

"We believe your order is causing us to violate our rules of professional conduct," said Lt. Col. Kris Poppe, who has said Hasan was trying to fulfill a death wish.

Osborn fired back that she had already heard and ruled on such arguments, and she briefly recessed the trial. She later ordered the attorneys to resume their advisory roles and allowed witnesses to begin testifying, including the only one Hasan briefly challenged.
Sgt. 1st Class Maria Guerra told jurors that amid the chaos of the shootings she had to quickly decide who she could save, so she grabbed a black marker and wrote a "D" on the foreheads of those she couldn't. To people lingering over the dead, she shouted: "You need to move on!"

When prosecutors asked Guerra to describe the scene, her voice began breaking.

"I see bodies. I see bodies everywhere. And I see blood," she said. "No one is moving. There was no movement. There was no sound. So I yelled out, `Is everybody OK? ... I started hearing, `Help me. I'm bleeding. I've been shot. Help me.'"

Hasan objected when Guerra described hearing the gunman silence a woman who was crying out, "My baby! My baby!" Hasan interrupted to ask the judge, "Would you remind Sgt. 1st Class Guerra that she's under oath?"

Osborn did so, briskly. Then a prosecutor asked Guerra if there was anything she wanted to change about her testimony. She replied: "No, sir."

Hasan didn't consult with his standby attorneys.

The tension initially spilled over Wednesday – only the second day of the trial – when Poppe told the judge that if Hasan were allowed to continue on his own, he and Hasan's other standby attorneys didn't want Hasan to be able to ask them for help with a strategy they opposed.

Poppe speculated that Hasan's goal was to remove obstacles to the death penalty, a strategy that was "repugnant to defense counsel and contrary to our professional obligations."

Hasan gave a brief opening statement during the trial's first day that included claiming responsibility for the attack. He posed no questions to most witnesses and rarely spoke. On one of the few times he did talk, it was to get on the record that the alleged murder weapon was his – even though no one had asked.

Sometimes he took notes, but he mostly looked forward impassively. When the judge asked Hasan on Thursday whether he had read a six-page motion, he said he had only skimmed it.

No appeal had been filed by the standby attorneys as of Thursday evening at the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, according to the court's clerk. A message left with the Army Court of Criminal Appeals wasn't immediately returned.

But several experts said an appeal likely would be a lost cause.

"My prediction is it's going to be resolved in short order and be denied," said Jeff Corn, a law professor at South Texas College of Law. He added that an appeal would likely start at the Army appellate court and not stall the trial.

"As sympathetic as I am to him (Poppe), and the miserable position he's in, I think he's stuck. The law is clear: If you are a standby attorney for a pro-se defendant and the defendant wants to make decisions tactically disastrous, that's his prerogative," Corn said.

Hasan's former civilian lawyer, John Galligan, noted that Hasan's jury was made up of military officers.

"There's a big difference between a death wish and a realistic acknowledgement that everybody in that courtroom is out to kill him. ... I call that realism."

But it could also be an intended strategy to spare Hasan the death penalty, said Joe Gutheinz, a Houston-area attorney and former Army intelligence officer.

"The judge allowed him to defend himself, you raised a timely objection. That is the basis for the appeal. And it was brilliant on the part of all the parties involved. If somebody thought up this idea, it was great," Gutheinz said.

"I really believe this is the only way, at end of the day, he will not be executed. I don't want to accuse the defense attorney of doing something that may be viewed in some sense as improper, but it preserves this for appeal.
"
During the hearing Thursday, the prosecutor, Col. Michael Mulligan, defended Hasan's strategy, saying it would have been "absurd" for Hasan to contest the facts of what happened the day of the attack. Mulligan said Hasan appeared to be taking on a "tried and true" defense strategy of not contesting the facts but rather offering an alternative reason about why they occurred.

"I'm really perplexed as to how it's caused such a moral dilemma," Mulligan told the judge.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1493 on: August 08, 2013, 11:27:53 PM »

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/military/article/Eyewitness-recalls-Fort-Hood-center-s-floor-4716860.php
Eyewitness recalls Fort Hood center's floor 'covered in blood'
August 8, 2013

Photo gallery

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1494 on: August 09, 2013, 10:29:59 AM »

http://kdhnews.com/military/hasan_trial/hasan-trial-witnesses-testify-to-scene-of-fort-hood-shooting/article_a098b92e-0045-11e3-ae2d-001a4bcf6878.html
Hasan trial: Witnesses testify to scene of Fort Hood shooting
Posted: Friday, August 9, 2013 4:30 am | Updated: 8:55 am, Fri Aug 9, 2013.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1495 on: August 09, 2013, 10:31:10 AM »

August 9, 2013 Tweets
https://twitter.com/RachelCoxKWTX

Rachel Cox ‏@RachelCoxKWTX 17m
Prosecution calls 28th witness in #hasantrial

Rachel Cox ‏@RachelCoxKWTX 18m
#hasan allows 2 members of standby counsel to skip court today to write their request for change in roles to higher court

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1496 on: August 09, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »

August 9, 2013 Tweets

Chris Sadeghi ‏@chrissadeghi 1h
There is a rather large drop-off in the amount of media at the #HasanTrial today. I guess a lot were just waiting to hear victim testimony.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1497 on: August 09, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »

August 9, 2013 Tweets
https://twitter.com/KenKalthoffNBC5

Ken Kalthoff ‏@KenKalthoffNBC5 41m
Day 4 of #forthood Hasan trial testimony about to begin. Updates later. @NBCDFW

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1498 on: August 09, 2013, 11:18:57 AM »

August 9, 2013 Tweets

Rachel Cox ‏@RachelCoxKWTX 26s
PFC Najee Hull: "I made eye contact then I get shot in my knee."

Rachel Cox ‏@RachelCoxKWTX 1m
#hasan objects move to allow witness to identify Michael Cahill, man who tried to take #hasan out w/a chair, judge allows

Mason identifies Hasan "He's not clean shaven anymore but that's him"

Rachel Cox ‏@RachelCoxKWTX 2m
Mason: "I thought training isn't supposed to hurt this bad."

Rachel Cox ‏@RachelCoxKWTX 5m
Capt. Brandy Mason: "I looked up and there was a middle-aged gentleman with a beige complexion pointing a gun at my head"

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1499 on: August 09, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »

August 9, 2013 Tweets

SFC Paul Martin heard "Allahu, Akbar!" described it as loud and thunderous

Rachel Cox ‏@RachelCoxKWTX 2m
Hull describes trying to crawl away as #hasan continued to shoot him in knees and back

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.