March 19, 2024, 01:40:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas 11/05/09 13 dead, 43 wounded-(Murder Charges)  (Read 730161 times)
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

Patton is my babe. RIP my Josef I love you both!

« Reply #540 on: November 09, 2009, 09:13:59 PM »

Muffy, is it okay if I bring a post over from my thread? TIA JSM

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #541 on: November 09, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »

Muffy, is it okay if I bring a post over from my thread? TIA JSM
  Sorry Muffy. I didn't know you had already left here. 

My JSM Begging for Ban Button Blog: http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5458.0

<a href="http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013" target="_blank">http://www.oneplusyou.com/bb/files/countdown/countdown.swf?co=000080&amp;bgcolor=FFFFFF&amp;date_month=01&amp;date_day=20&amp;date_year=1&amp;un=OBAMA IS OUT!&amp;size=small&amp;mo=01&amp;da=20&amp;yr=2013</a>
joesamas mama
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #542 on: November 09, 2009, 09:29:57 PM »

Okay monkeys I asked for permission to bring this over, but Muffy had left.

Baby if you are still here you know my feelings on islam, but I wanted to let others know that there are soldiers that have fought and died for our country that are muslim. Here is what I posted earlier and if I get the button, so be it. The guy that the link belongs to is a very smart military guy. JSM is stupid but knows how to read smart blogs (not mine, but the link below my comments).  

If this post deserves to be deleted, please Mods delete, but I just thought I would post it here. TIA JSM

Just so I don't look like a xenophobe and a callous person, there are true Muslims that have fought and died for their country and this guys blog helped me put into perspective the muslims that love their country (USA) and the ones that are out to get us. I have posted the pictures from his website because I would like the monkeys to see that there are muslims that have given their life for us. I am not a fan of islam, but these fellows do deserve thanks for giving their lives for us. TIA JSM  

REAL MUSLIM HEROES IN THE MILITARY

http://seanlinnane.blogspot.com/2009/11/american-heroes.html

CONFUSED?

There are many confusing, conflicting aspects to the struggle we are involved in.

Please bear with me while I make my point:

America, and the rest of the civilized world, are at war with an extremely dangerous group of criminal maniacs and their twisted logic.

Up until very recently, the war was known as the "Global War on Terrorism", or G-WOT. I don't know what they're calling it now on citations or campaign medals, but it is important to be aware that we are not fighting 'Terrorism' per se. Terrorism is a tactic, not an enemy in and of itself. What we are fighting is Islamic Fundamentalism, in it's most extreme form.

The question to ask is not "Why do they hate us?"

The question to ask is: "What do they want?"

Consider: there are 1.82 billion Muslims in the world (source: CIA World Factbook). If only one percent of them are Islamic Fundamentalist terrorists, that's 18,200,000 enemy fighters.

This figure, by the way, represents the entire number of soldiers, sailors and airmen who ever served in the German Wehrmacht during the entire course of World War II and the Spanish Civil War (not the force strength of the Wehrmacht at any point).

A terrorist army that large boggles the mind, strains credulity. There are possibly that many sympathizers and auxiliary supporters, but there is no way al Qaeda and it's variants (Taliban etc.) fields and supports that many fighters.

The majority of Muslims are regular folk just like you and me, who want the same things we want: to be left alone, to prosper and provide for their families, to leave their children better off than themselves. As with any demographic, there is a segment of the Muslim community, however, who are susceptible to becoming deranged or disgruntled, like Army Major Nadal Hasan at Fort Hood last Thursday - these sociopaths are found in any population, and their numbers are tiny.

And there is a segment of Muslims who are active, dedicated members of al Qaeda, et al. Despite the fact that the terrorists are capable of inflicting mass casualties, these numbers are also tiny.

Here's my point:

Ordinarily, the modern terrorist ethos is twofold: A) to gain publicity for their cause, whatever it is, and B) to force the State entity into giving concessions.

What is sinister about al Qaeda and their ilk is their plan: they wish no less than to start a global religious war of Muslims versus Christians (Crusaders) and Jews (Zionists). The Islamic Fundamentalists also view secular, sane Islamic nations such as Turkey and Morocco as traitors, and enablers of the Crusaders and Zionists.

Their agenda is to create a limitless bloodbath on such an unprecedented global scale that for all intents and purposes they will have unleashed Armageddon upon us. This is their stated goal. They have stated this numerous times, via video releases, and their writings.

IF we succumb to a xenophobic tendency to embrace a knee-jerk hatred of all things Muslim; IF we lower ourselves to their level - THEN THEY WIN.

It is that simple.

S.L.

The military headstone images preceding this post were originally posted on Frum Forum on 6 November 2009.

Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #543 on: November 09, 2009, 09:35:07 PM »

Fort Hood shooting suspect's contacts with imam were investigated, but case was dropped
The disclosure raises questions of whether the Army, FBI and intelligence agencies missed warning signs about Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan's increasing radicalism.

By Josh Meyer and Greg Miller
November 10, 2009

Reporting from Washington - The FBI and Army looked into contacts between the military psychiatrist accused in last week's deadly shooting rampage at Ft. Hood, Texas, and a Yemen-based militant Islamist prayer leader but concluded that Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan didn't pose a terrorist threat, senior law enforcement and military officials said today.

The disclosure that Hasan had ongoing communications with an imam who had ties to Sept. 11 hijackers was sure to raise the question of whether U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies had information that, if properly shared and investigated, might have helped to prevent the attack on the military base.

Officials announced last night that Hasan would be tried in a military, rather than civilian, court. They said that they tried to interview Hasan on Sunday but that he declined after speaking to a lawyer.

Even before today's disclosure, lawmakers were calling for inquiries into whether the Army, the FBI and the U.S. intelligence community missed warning signs about Hasan's increasing radicalization in the months before Thursday's killing spree.

"I think the very fact that you've got a major in the U.S. Army contacting [a radical imam], or attempting to contact him, would raise some red flags," said Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.), the ranking Republican on the House Intelligence Committee. Hoekstra said his office has been contacted by U.S. officials involved in the case who believe that "the system just broke down."

A federal law enforcement official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the case is ongoing, said that all the facts are not yet known because the FBI and Army are poring over numerous e-mails sent by Hasan to Anwar al Awlaki and apparently other Islamist figures.

But he said that the information known to authorities at the time did not in any way suggest that Hasan was growing violent or that he was involved in "any terrorist planning or plotting."

"I don't know if it will greatly affect our assessment of the case, what motivated him. It remains to be seen whether this means anything or not," said the federal official, adding that authorities still believe Hasan acted alone when he allegedly fired a minutes-long spray of bullets that killed 13 people and injured dozens.

However, other senior investigative officials said last night that they had not been aware of Hasan's gun purchases in Texas.

The federal law enforcement official said that Hasan did not appear to have known Awlaki in person, except perhaps in passing, even though the militant prayer leader was the imam at a Virginia mosque that Hasan attended in 2001.

The mosque drew the attention of the FBI at the time, and later the Sept. 11 commission, because of Awlaki's connection to at least two of the Sept. 11 hijackers, who may have followed him from a mosque in San Diego to the Dar al Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Va., in early 2001.

Awlaki, a U.S. citizen, left the United States in 2002 and is believed to be in Yemen and actively supporting the Islamist jihad, or holy war against the West, through his website.

Several U.S. officials said U.S. intelligence agencies first intercepted communications between Hasan and Awlaki in late 2008 as a result of another investigation, and that the information was given to one U.S.-based multi-agency Joint Terrorism Task Force and then to another based at the Washington Field Office because of Hasan's assignment at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

The Washington task force, which included FBI agents and Army criminal investigative personnel, launched a probe and determined that Hasan was contacting the radical cleric -- who has ties to other Al Qaeda-affiliated individuals -- "within the context of the doctor's position and what he was doing at the time, conducting research . . . on the issues of Muslims in the military and the effects of war in Muslim countries."

The official said that Hasan had "reached out to Awlaki several times before he got a response" and that there was little in the correspondence to raise serious red flags.

But Hoekstra expressed frustration with the handling of the intelligence on Hasan, saying that authorities underestimated the significance of the material they had obtained.

Awlaki's responses to Hasan were regarded by U.S. authorities as "relatively innocuous," Hoekstra said. "I think the fact that you're getting responses should have set off red flags regardless of the content."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-naw-fort-hood10-2009nov10,0,6160556.story

Heart
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #544 on: November 09, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »

http://www.abcnews.go.com/WN/retired-colonel-john-galligan-defend-accused-fort-hood/story?id=9037335

Retired Colonel to Defend Accused Fort Hood Shooter
Accused Shooter Nidal Hasan Awake and Talking to Hospital Staff

By ELISA ROUPENIAN
BELTON, Texas, Nov. 9, 2009

A retired Army colonel and former military judge at Fort Hood has been hired to represent the officer accused of going on a shooting spree and killing 13 people last week at the Texas military base.
Fort Hood Motive Terrorism or Mental Illness?
Days after a mass shooting at the Fort Hood Army post in Killeen, Texas, details of the gunman's life have captivated millions looking for motives behind Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan's murderous rampage.

Days after a mass shooting at the Fort Hood Army post in Killeen, Texas, details of the gunman's life have captivated millions looking for motives behind Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan's murderous rampage.
(AP Photo)

John P. Galligan told ABC News today that he has been retained by the family of Major Nidal Malik Hasan and has traveled from his office in Belton, Texas, to San Antonio where Hasan is being treated at the Brooke Army Medical Center.

Galligan said he was aware that Hasan, who was shot several times, was conscious and talking with hospital staff. He said he intends to make sure that Hasan's rights are protected, and to that end has asked federal authorities to stay away from his client. He declined to discuss his client's motives or what his line of defense would be.

"I don't think we really know all of the facts, we don't know what the charges are, we're not even necessarily sure of exactly what the specific jurisdictions" Galligan told ABC News.
<snip>

Number of Fort Hood Wounded Has Risen

Families of 11 of the 13 people killed will be at the traditional memorial service that will include remarks by Obama and Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey. It will end with a roll call of the shooting victims and a 21-gun salute, Cone said.

The toll of wounded rose today to 43. Fort Hood officials said some of the casualties didn't report their injuries until later.

Fifteen victims remained hospitalized with gunshot wounds, and eight were in intensive care.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #545 on: November 09, 2009, 09:49:53 PM »

Guest Book for Spc. Jason Dean Hunt – Online Guest Book by Legacy.com.
http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookid=135520460

Jason Dean Hunt, 21, from Oklahoma

Heart
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #546 on: November 09, 2009, 09:59:10 PM »

My heart hurts. I try not to come back and read here, but I cannot help myself. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would see a memorial site on American soil like the pictures I just saw. It looks like a war zone, Iraq or Afghanistan. I guess the truth is, it is a war zone. Looking back at the memorials for 9/11 at the Pentagon, it was nothing like this. Imagine not being able to even bring a baby stroller to the memorial. It is surreal.   

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #547 on: November 09, 2009, 10:02:02 PM »

HEART, I don't know how you have the strength and fortitude to keep doing this. I know that it has hit you and MUFFY BEE in ways that I cannot understand. TXFLAME was having computer problems, and I hope she is ok.  an angelic monkey

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #548 on: November 09, 2009, 10:09:55 PM »

Staff Sergeant Eric Williams Jackson of Beaumont

Local soldier injured in Fort Hood shooting

November 07, 2009 6:00 PM
Ashley Rodrigue

More names have been released  of the more than forty people killed and/or injured in Thursday's shootings at Fort Hood.

Among the dead are several medical personnel and a pregnant soldier.  Among the wounded is a 39-year-old staff sergeant from Beaumont.

When these sirens sounded at Fort Hood on Thursday, Staff Sergeant Eric Williams Jackson of Beaumont was being shot.

"He heard a commotion, he turned and saw the gunman and at that time, he felt his blood running down his hand and he sought cover."

John Jackson, the 39-year-old's father, says his son, who's been in the Army for more than 20 years, was hit by a bullet in his forearm, that eventually ended up in his wrist.

Jackson was at the Processing Center updating his medical records for another tour of duty in Iraq.

"Initial reaction was, he has gone through three tours and then come home and be involved in a shooting incident, it was kind of disconcerting."

Jackson says what's even more troubling is that the suspect is a serviceman just like his son.

He said, "it's a hard pill to take, you don't expect your own comrade to inflict such carnage on their own.. it's just hard to comprehend."

Jackson says his son, who joined the Army straight out of high school, is back to daily duties at the base. And while his son may not be showing how the situation has affected him, Jackson says it hit the family hard.

"Mixed emotions... one, I'm thankful that his injuries weren't that serious," he said, "And then we feel with anger because we heard reports that one of our investigating bodies had this particular person on their radar and he wasn't flagged... this could have been prevented."

But Jackson says what's done can't be changed, and the focus now, for his family, is on the casualties.

"Our deepest condolences go out to the families of the 13 individuals that did not make it."

Jackson says his son may be deploying for his third tour of duty in Iraq, at the end of January.

A memorial service at Fort Hood is planned for Tuesday.
http://www.kfdm.com/news/injured-35098-tonight-names.html

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #549 on: November 09, 2009, 10:20:25 PM »

My heart hurts. I try not to come back and read here, but I cannot help myself. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would see a memorial site on American soil like the pictures I just saw. It looks like a war zone, Iraq or Afghanistan. I guess the truth is, it is a war zone. Looking back at the memorials for 9/11 at the Pentagon, it was nothing like this. Imagine not being able to even bring a baby stroller to the memorial. It is surreal.   
We are at war Fanny.

My youngest daughter was in high school when 9/11 happened. A few days, weeks maybe after 9/11, I recall while dropping her off at school on my way to work my heart grew heavy and tears welled up in my eyes, because I had this overwhelming feeling that our children, and our grandchildren would never know the same America that we did when we were growing up and/or young adults.   

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #550 on: November 09, 2009, 10:36:43 PM »

Major L. Eduardo Caraveo

Major L. Eduardo Caraveo
Caraveo, 52, arrived in the United States in his teens from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, knowing very little English said his son, also named Eduardo Caraveo. He earned his doctorate in psychology from the University of Arizona and worked with bilingual special-needs students at Tucson-area schools before entering private practice. His son told the Arizona Daily Star in Tucson that Caraveo had arrived at Fort Hood on Wednesday and was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. Eduardo Caraveo spoke to the newspaper from his mother’s Tucson home.

Woodbridge Man Among Those Killed at Fort Hood
posted 11/07/09 2:39 pm

WOODBRIDGE, Va. - A man who lived in Woodbridge, Va., was one of the 13 people killed in a shooting rampage at Fort Hood in Texas.

Major L. Eduardo Caraveo's son, Eduardo, says his father arrived in the United States in his teens from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, knowing very little English. He earned his Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Arizona and worked with bilingual special-needs students at Tucson-area schools before entering private practice.

Caraveo’s neighborhood is decorated with American flags where neighbors and friends are remembering him as a good man and father.

“Very sad event. Words cannot express the loss,” said neighbor Richard Garrity.

Caraveo, 52, was a clinical psychologist and his Web site details his counseling and diversity workshops he hosted at his home.

“Very family oriented. He'd play soccer out here with his little boy, his children in the evenings. Friendly, he'd come down and chat with you,” said Garrity.

Caraveo's son tells the Arizona Daily Star in Tucson that his father had just arrived at Fort Hood Wednesday and was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan. Eduardo Caraveo spoke to the newspaper from his mother's Tucson home.

At Fort Hood, meantime, there have been candlelight vigils as investigators continue looking for information into the rampage. The suspected shooter, Major Nidal Hasan, is also accused of wounding 37 others.

"You know, just getting there and you see the stretchers and people laying on the ground. That's tough,” said Elliot Valdez, U.S. Army Specialist.

Investigators are piecing together the motives of Hasan, a devout Muslim, and critical of the wars in Iraq (web | news) and Afghanistan. He transferred to Fort Hood from Walter Reed.

“He was trying to get out of the military. And apparently not making any headway,” said former FBI (web) agent Brad Garrett.
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1109/676125.html

Video:
  http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1109/676125_video.html?ref=newsstory

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #551 on: November 09, 2009, 10:43:21 PM »

Hasan e-mails to cleric didn't warrant inquiry
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/09/AR2009110902061.html?hpid=topnews

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #552 on: November 09, 2009, 10:45:06 PM »

Attorney meets with Fort Hood shooting suspect

SAN ANTONIO — The attorney for the Army psychiatrist accused in the mass shooting at Fort Hood says he's met with his hospitalized client.

Retired Col. John P. Galligan told The Associated Press he met with Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan for 30 minutes Monday at a San Antonio military hospital.

Galligan isn't saying what they discussed but says law enforcement won't be questioning Hasan at this time.

Galligan says Hasan received doctors' permission for the meeting. Galligan also was joined by Fort Hood's senior defense attorney.

Galligan says he doubts Hasan can get a fair trial at Fort Hood. Officials say he'll be charged by the U.S. military, rather than in a civilian court, in the shooting that killed 13 and wounded 29.

Galligan says he plans to raise the issue of Hasan's mental condition.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jATMK2q96bKfz6B-aZUHOd5i4mBgD9BSD6UO2

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #553 on: November 09, 2009, 11:04:02 PM »

Raw Video: Conversation with Fort Hood Hero Amber Bahr
http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/69574352.html?video=pop&t=a&bctid=CLIP_ID_144502

By Maureen Mack and Jay Sorgi

Story Created: Nov 9, 2009

Story Updated: Nov 9, 2009

The following is TODAY'S TMJ4 HD's Charles Benson talking with Fort Hood shooting victim and hero Amber Bahr, from Random Lake, Wis.

Charles: "Amber, how are you doing this morning?"

Amber: "A lot better."

Charles: "Tell us a little about your injury and what that's done to you, in terms of how you're feeling about it."

Amber: "I don't know.  I don't think it's really hit me yet that I got shot, I mean, I can see the wound and stuff, but I don't think mentally it's hit me yet."

Charles: "When did you realize what happened?"

Amber: "Me and a few of my buddies, we were just sitting in a chair to the right and we weren't in the middle where people were waiting in line to speak to the physicians, and we were just sitting there talking and just talking about anything really, and then all of a sudden I heard somebody yelling.  I didn't know what they were yelling, and then I heard rounds going off, and we all hit the ground and covered our heads.  I guess the majority of us thought it was a drill.  I thought it was a drill, and so we were doing what we were trained to do.  Then the rounds stopped, and I smelled the sulfur, and I heard screaming, and I saw blood, and I realized it wasn't a drill."

Charles:  "Did you know this person that was firing?  Did you see him?"

Amber: "No.  I didn't know who he was, and I didn't see him.  I've never seen him before."

Charles: "Is there chaos?"

Amber: "People are screaming and pulling tables and chairs over themselves and their battle buddies to protect themselves.  People are trying to crawl to the door to get out of the building.  I started pushing the people in front of me to the door, and I was pulling people behind me to the door, and once I got the people out of the building that were around me, I low-crawled to the door, and once I got to the door I got up and ran out of the building.

"I still don't know I'm shot at that time.  When I got outside, I laid down on the grass.  I actually fell down, and I just covered my head, and then I looked up and saw two of my battle buddies were right next to the door, and I knew I had to get them away from the door before anything else happened to them, so I ran to them.  I told one of them to get up and run to the truck, and then one told me he couldn't run, he couldn't walk, so I dragged him to the truck.

"At the hospital, I helped carry one of my battle buddies in the hospital and I put him on the bed, and the nurse tells me to sit down on the bed and relax and breathe, and I said I couldn't, and I sat down for a little bit and my back started hurting, and I got up and I asked one of the sergeants that were in there if anything (happened) because my back was hurting, like if I scratched it or if I bruised it or something getting on to the truck, and he said, 'No.'  I was shot.

"I was like, 'No, really, what happened to me?' and he was like, 'You got shot,' and he put me on a bed and took me into a room and treated me.  I didn't realize it at all."

When asked about friends that had been injured:

Amber: "They're good.  I went to the hospital yesterday and saw them, and they're doing really well."

When asked about losing comrades:

Amber: "It's just all really chaotic. I don't think it really has sunk in yet.  I don't know.  I guess I'm just questioning why."

When asked about her mother calming Amber down:

Amber: "That was really important, It made me forget about everything, It made me feel a lot better."

Charles: "You're still going to be deployed?"

Amber: "Yes.  I'm looking forward to it.  I've got to take it easy until we deploy.  I have a follow up with surgery later this week, and they're going to determine whether or not they take the fragments out."

When asked about meeting the President:

Amber: "That's crazy, that's really crazy."

Charles: "People back home are calling you a hero.  How do you feel?"

Amber:  "I don't know.  I don't really see myself as a hero.  I was just helping my battle buddies and doing my job."

Charles: "This moment has changed your life."

Amber: "I guess it has, yeah."

Following his conversation with Amber, Charles spoke with her mother, Lisa Pfund.

Charles: "What's it been like for you?"

Lisa: "It's just, um, it's hard to see her trying to deal with it. We probably won't be down here when she really realizes what happened."

Charles: "How worried will you be when she deploys?"

Lisa:  "I'm going to have to deal."
http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/69574352.html

Pfc. Amber Bahr

Soldier from Random Lake praised for heroism

By Tom Held of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Nov. 7, 2009

Random Lake - A commanding officer described Pfc. Amber Bahr's actions in the chaos of the Fort Hood shootings as those of a hero.

She told her family she was just being a soldier.

The 2008 graduate of Random Lake High School put a tourniquet on another soldier and carried him away from the gunfire before discovering she had been wounded herself, shot in the lower back.

Lt. Gen. Robert Cone, commanding officer of the Army base, called Bahr "an amazing young lady" in a television segment Friday on NBC's "Today" show.

Bahr's mother, Lisa Pfund, said Friday she learned of her daughter's heroism through news accounts and not the limited conversations the two had after the ordeal. In a phone call from a hospital emergency room, Pfund said Bahr told her, "Mommy, I hurt so bad."

She has not been allowed to reveal any details of the shootings in the Soldier Readiness Center. Thirteen soldiers were killed, and Bahr was one of 30 wounded.

Pfund said she was talking on the phone with her daughter about 1 or 1:30 p.m., about the time authorities say that Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan opened fire. Bahr said, "I've got to go," and ended the phone call, although Pfund was uncertain if the shooting had started.

Bahr, 19, reportedly tossed her cell phone to another soldier and directed her to call 911, an act that left her without a phone and led to a good deal of anxiety back home, a farmhouse just off Highway 57.

"Then it was hours and hours and hours that we waited," Pfund said.

Thursday evening, an emergency room doctor called the family to report that Bahr had survived. Subsequent reports and eventually a call from the wounded soldier provided even better news. Her wound was not serious, and she was in line to be released from the hospital late Friday or sometime Saturday.

Pfund plans to be there on Saturday.

"I'm just going to hold her as tight as I can," she said. "I don't know if she's a hero, but I'm very proud of her."

Bahr joined the Army in December 2006 and undertook her basic training between her junior and senior years of high school. With her military future already planned, she played soccer and reportedly displayed some of the toughness she employed during the chaos at Fort Hood.

Bahr had been at the base for a year, working as an Army nutritionist, and was scheduled to deploy for the first time in January.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/69442752.html

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #554 on: November 09, 2009, 11:29:54 PM »

Local priest was Senior Catholic chaplain at Fort Hood + Video

Updated: Monday, 09 Nov 2009, 11:19 PM EST
Published : Monday, 09 Nov 2009, 7:52 PM EST

BOSTON (FOX25, myfoxboston) - A priest from Milton was serving as Fort Hood's Senior Catholic chaplain during last week's shooting rampage that left 13 people dead.

Reverend Edward McCabe provided last rites to a number of dying soldiers and prayed over the bodies of other fallen soldiers.

McCabe is from Milton and attached to the Archdiocese of Boston.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/local-priest-was-senior-catholic-chaplain-at-fort-hood

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #555 on: November 09, 2009, 11:40:02 PM »

U.S. Army Private Alan Carroll

Bridgewater soldier wounded at Fort Hood released from hospital and in ‘good spirits’
By Amanda Peterka
November 09, 2009, 2:00PM

Twenty-year-old Alan Carroll, who was among the soldiers wounded during Thursday’s shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, has been released from the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood.

According to hospital officials, Carroll, a 2007 Bridgewater-Raritan Regional High School graduate, was discharged on Saturday, Nov. 7. He was shot four times during Thursday’s tragedy, in both of his arms, his chest and his leg.

Carroll was set to be deployed to Afghanistan in the coming months.

“Fortunately they were not major wounds, and there was never any point where his life was in danger, but it certainly scared the heck out of him and his family,” said Howard Norgalis, fire commissioner of the North Branch Volunteer Fire Company and Bridgewater Township Councilman.

Carroll has been a volunteer for the North Branch fire department, which serves both Bridgewater and Branchburg, since he was 15 years old.

“He’s a 20-year-old and he’s a great fireman, and it’s a tribute that he chose to enter the military to undertake that part of work,” Norgalis said, “and it’s just a travesty that this kind of thing happened on our soil.”

North Branch Fire Chief Michael Russoniello said he was used to seeing Carroll hanging out at the firehouse before he enlisted in the U.S. Army at the age of 18.

“He’s a good kid, a real good kid,” Russoniello said. “He’s always eager to help people."

Russoniello said that Carroll is arranging to come home in December before being deployed.

There aren’t any concrete plans, but the company will surely do something to welcome him home, the fire chief said, noting that that he spoke to Carroll on Saturday, Nov. 7, about an hour before the soldier was to be discharged.

“He’s in real good spirits," Russoniello said. “Sore, but in good spirits.”

The shooting at Fort Hood on Thursday, Nov. 5, left 13 soldiers dead, and as many as 43 have been reported wounded, according to a Nov. 6 Defense Department news release.

Suspected of the shooting is licensed Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, 39, who was shot several times after the attack and is currently at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio.

Additional reporting by Frank Mustac/Somerset Reporter

http://www.nj.com/reporter/index.ssf/2009/11/bridgewater_soldier_wounded_at.html

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #556 on: November 09, 2009, 11:56:30 PM »

Army Spc. Frederick Greene

Tennessee Soldier Dies In Fort Hood Shootings
Posted: Nov 09, 2009 7:24 AM CST

MOUNTAIN CITY, Tenn. - A Tennessee soldier was among the victims of last week's deadly shooting rampage at Fort Hood.

Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan killed Army Spc. Frederick Greene along with 12 other people. Greene is from Mountain City in East Tennessee.

The Army sent representatives from public affairs offices around the United States to help support the families of the fallen soldiers. It just so happened that a representatives from Ft. Campbell helped Green's family during a press conference Sunday outside the soldier's parents' home.

“Many of his fellow soldiers told us he was the quiet professional of the unit - never complaining about a job given and often volunteering when needed,” said Cathy Gramling, Ft. Campbell spokesperson.

Sen. Joe Lieberman said he'll begin an investigation into the shootings and whether the accused shooter, Hasan, embraced an extremist view of Islam.
http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=11468166

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #557 on: November 09, 2009, 11:58:31 PM »

36th Engineer Brigade hit hard

Posted On: Sunday, Nov. 8 2009 05:31 AM   
By Amanda Kim Stairrett
Killeen Daily Herald

FORT HOOD – Of the 13 killed in Thursday's shooting, four were soldiers from the 36th Engineer Brigade's 20th Engineer Battalion. They were 19-year-old Pfc. Aaron Nemelka, 22-year-old Pfc. Michael Pearson, 23-year-old Spc. Kham Xiong and 29-year-old Spc. Frederick Greene.

Of the 30 wounded, 11 were from the brigade.

Gen. George Casey, Army chief of staff and former 1st Cavalry Division brigade commander, and Army Secretary John McHugh spoke with soldiers and leaders from the engineer brigade Friday at a Fort Hood chapel.

Casey wouldn't specify what other units were involved in Friday's incident, he said 20 were affected "in one way or another."

The 36th Engineer Brigade is led by Col. Kent Savre and has two units at Fort Hood: the 20th and 62nd Engineer Battalions.

Casey talked about stories of "strength and courage," including soldiers at the shooting scene who went back into the line of fire and dragged their buddies out, wounded soldiers treating other wounded soldiers and young men like Pfc. Jeffrey Pearsall of the 20th Engineer Battalion.

The 21-year-old Houston native was in his white 2004 Ford F-150 in the parking lot next to the Soldier Readiness Processing Center Thursday waiting to pick up a friend when he heard commotion. He walked to the building and saw soldiers and civilians running around.

He yelled for some of the wounded to get into his pickup and five jumped in the bed. He sped off toward safety, not knowing one of the injured soldiers fell out. His friend, driving one of the injured soldier's vehicles behind Pearsall, stopped and picked him up.

The soldiers drove to Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center and Pearsall said he banged on the door until nurses and doctors ran out to help them. His friend arrived shortly after.

It has been hard for Pearsall to think about what he saw Thursday and said he has talked to a chaplain.

He was reluctant to accept the "hero" title that many have tried to give him and others who jumped to action last week. Pearsall considered what he did that day his job – what he was trained to do.

Contact Amanda Kim Stairrett at astair@kdhnews.com or (254) 501-7547.

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #558 on: November 10, 2009, 12:05:54 AM »

Fort Hood suspect warned of threats within the ranks
Cited stress facing Muslims Hasan spoke at Walter Reed in 2007

By Dana Priest
Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Army psychiatrist believed to have killed 13 people at Fort Hood warned a roomful of senior Army physicians a year and a half ago that to avoid "adverse events," the military should allow Muslim soldiers to be released as conscientious objectors instead of fighting in wars against other Muslims.

As a senior-year psychiatric resident at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Maj. Nidal M. Hasan was supposed to make a presentation on a medical topic of his choosing as a culminating exercise of the residency program.

Instead, in late June 2007, he stood before his supervisors and about 25 other mental health staff members and lectured on Islam, suicide bombers and threats the military could encounter from Muslims conflicted about fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, both Muslim countries, according to a copy of the presentation obtained by The Washington Post.

"It's getting harder and harder for Muslims in the service to morally justify being in a military that seems constantly engaged against fellow Muslims," he said in the presentation.

"It was really strange," said one staff member who attended the presentation and spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the investigation of Hasan. "The senior doctors looked really upset" at the end. These medical presentations occurred each Wednesday afternoon, and other students had lectured on new medications and treatment of specific mental illnesses.

An Army spokesman said Monday night he was unaware of the presentation, and a Walter Reed spokesman declined to comment. It is unclear whether anyone in attendance reported the briefing to counterintelligence or law enforcement authorities whose job it is to identify threats from within the military ranks.

Hasan spent six years at Walter Reed as an intern, resident and fellow beginning in 2003. He was transferred to Fort Hood as a practicing psychiatrist in July and was set to leave soon for Afghanistan. According to a relative, he had asked not to be deployed. It is not known whether he ever sought conscientious-objector status.
ad_icon

Maj. Gen. Gina S. Farrisee, the Army's personnel chief, said in an interview Monday that because of the investigation, she and other Army officials could not discuss whether Hasan had officially asked to quit the service or to not be deployed. However, she and another Army official said that it would be highly unusual for officers with Hasan's rank and medical training to be allowed to resign, given their service obligation.

Investigators are examining Hasan's religious beliefs, whether he harbored extremist views, and whether he was in contact with others who may have encouraged violence against U.S. troops.

The title of Hasan's PowerPoint presentation was "The Koranic World View As It Relates to Muslims in the U.S. Military." It consisted of 50 slides. In one slide, Hasan described the presentation's objectives as identifying "what the Koran inculcates in the minds of Muslims and the potential implications this may have for the U.S. military."

He also sought to "describe the nature of the religious conflicts that Muslims" who serve in the U.S. military may have and to persuade the Army to identify these individuals.

Other slides delved into the history of Islam, its tenets, statistics about the number of Muslims in the military, and explanations of "offensive jihad," or holy war.

Another slide suggested ways to draw out Muslim troops: "It must be hard for you to balance Islamic beliefs that might be conflicting with current war; feelings of guilt; Is it what you expected."

Hasan's presentation lasted about an hour. It is unclear whether he read out loud every point on each slide. If typical procedures were followed, his adviser would have supervised the development of his project, said people familiar with the practice.

The final three slides indicate that Hasan referred to Osama bin Laden, the Taliban, suicide bombers and Iran.

Under a slide titled "Comments," he wrote: "If Muslim groups can convince Muslims that they are fighting for God against injustices of the 'infidels'; ie: enemies of Islam, then Muslims can become a potent adversary ie: suicide bombing, etc." [sic]

The last bullet point on that page reads simply: "We love death more then [sic] you love life!"

Under the "Conclusions" page, Hasan wrote that "Fighting to establish an Islamic State to please God, even by force, is condoned by the Islam," and that "Muslim Soldiers should not serve in any capacity that renders them at risk to hurting/killing believers unjustly -- will vary!"

The final page, labeled "Recommendation," contained only one suggestion:

"Department of Defense should allow Muslims [sic] Soldiers the option of being released as 'Conscientious objectors' to increase troop morale and decrease adverse events."

Staff writer Ann Scott Tyson contributed to this report.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/09/AR2009110903618.html

Heart
Heart
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #559 on: November 10, 2009, 07:55:57 AM »

FBI Tracked Hasan In December 2008

by Staff

The FBI said Monday the man accused of the Fort Hood, Texas, massacre came to its attention in December 2008 but was not suspected of "terrorist activities."

In a statement, the FBI said it took notice of Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan as part of an unrelated investigation being carried out by a Joint Terrorism Task Force -- an FBI-led team made up of FBI agents and investigators from other federal, state and local law enforement agencies.

"Investigators on the JTTF reviewed certain communications between Major Hasan and the subject of that investigation and assessed that the content of those communications was consistent with research being conducted by Major Hasan in his position as a psychiatrist at the Walter Reed Medical Center," the statement said. "Because the content of the communications was explainable by his research and nothing else derogatory was found, the JTTF concluded that Major Hasan was not involved in terrorist activities or terrorist planning."

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/breakingnews/article_212266924.shtml

Heart
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.