September 19, 2019, 03:20:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
   Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Down
Author Topic: Shooting at Ft. Hood Texas 11/05/09 13 dead, 43 wounded-(Murder Charges)  (Read 612390 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #560 on: November 10, 2009, 08:01:22 AM »

When a Time Bomb is Ticking
By Eugene Robinson

WASHINGTON -- There's a difference between sensitivity and stupidity. If there were indeed signs that Maj. Nidal Hasan, the alleged Fort Hood mass murderer, was becoming radicalized in his opposition to the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Army had a duty to act -- before he did.

Gen. George Casey, the Army chief of staff, said Sunday he was concerned that "this increased speculation" about Hasan's evolving political and religious views "could cause a backlash against some of our Muslim soldiers." Casey is right to worry about the lunatics and bigots who now will think of all Muslims in the military as potential enemies. But it only feeds such paranoia to ignore alarm bells that an unstable individual, Muslim or not, is about to blow.

According to published reports, Hasan told people of his serious doubts about the U.S. military campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan. Hasan, a psychiatrist who had evaluated returning soldiers for stress-related disorders, made no secret of his reluctance to serve in the Afghan theater, where he was to be sent within weeks. According to ABC News, fellow Army doctors told superiors of their concern that Hasan felt divided allegiance -- both to the Muslims whom he felt were under attack and the country he had volunteered to serve.

All this should have been enough to prompt an urgent intervention by Army brass, regardless of Hasan's religion. That it did not is unfair to the thousands of Muslims who have served in the military, and continue to do so, with honor and distinction.

"The system is not doing what it's supposed to do," Army doctor Val Finnell told The Associated Press. Finnell, who studied with Hasan, complained to higher-ups about Hasan's "anti-American" rants and his stated view that the United States was conducting a war against Islam. "He at least should have been confronted about these beliefs, told to cease and desist, and to shape up or ship out."

Indeed he should have been. In the Army, there's a rich tradition of grousing about idiotic higher-ups and their ridiculous orders. But it sounds as if Hasan's complaints went far beyond the ordinary, especially in the notion that he might be unsure of his own loyalty and duty.

If Hasan's superior officers had investigated, they might have pieced together the story that seems to be emerging: that Hasan was behaving erratically, that his faith apparently had become increasingly political, that he desperately wanted out of the military and that he was distraught about being ordered to the war zone.

Army officials surely were aware that Muslims in the service have complained of taunts and harassment from their fellow soldiers. For both moral and practical reasons, the Army must eliminate such discrimination. I've had issues with the way former President George W. Bush did his job, to say the least, but one good thing he did was emphasize that his "war on terrorism" was not a war against Islam, one of the world's great faiths. That disclaimer rings hollow if Muslims serving in the armed forces are blamed for the crimes of Islamic terrorists and treated as potential traitors to the American cause.

But fairness is one thing, foolishness is another. Any soldier who seemed as if he might be falling apart -- and it seems that Hasan gave a lot of people that impression -- should have been given extra scrutiny. In Hasan's case, a closer look would have revealed his growing religiosity and his feeling that his faith was under assault.

The fact that Hasan had worshiped at a Virginia mosque whose spiritual leader was a radical named Anwar al-Aulaqi might also have come to light. The Washington Post reported Monday that Aulaqi, who now lives in Yemen, has posted a message on his Web site calling Hasan a "hero" for what he allegedly did at Fort Hood.

Had authorities learned in advance of any link between Hasan and radical Islam -- as opposed to the mainstream Islam practiced by more than a billion people worldwide -- they could have moved immediately to ensure that Hasan could not hurt others or himself. That wouldn't have been an act of bigotry, it would have been an act of prudence, even compassion.

How is the Pentagon supposed to tell he difference between reasonable caution and blatant discrimination? There are thousands of Muslims in uniform, serving their country at home and abroad. Ask them.

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #561 on: November 10, 2009, 08:43:34 AM »

Editorial: Pain of Fort Hood felt in Wisconsin

The enormity of a horrific event like the mass shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, last week doesn't sink in until we see the names and faces of people we know.

Later, thoughts turn to what can be done to ensure that such an event isn't repeated.
Staff Sgt. Amy Krueger of Kiel was at Fort Hood receiving her final training before her deployment to Afghanistan. But she lost her life at the hands of a fellow U.S. soldier, who killed 13 people and wounded more than 30 others for reasons investigators are still trying to determine.

Brenda Krueger said two of her children wanted to stay home from school Friday because of their cousin's death, "But I told them that Amy always said you need to do what needs to be done and you always do your best."

Those were among the remembrances friends and family shared during a candlelight vigil at Veterans Park in Kiel on Sunday evening.

Mourners also remembered Capt. Russell Seager of Mount Pleasant, another soldier gunned down in cold blood.

Across Wisconsin people marveled at the heroics of Army Pfc. Amber Bahr from Random Lake in Sheboygan County.

She tended to a wounded soldier, carrying him to safety, then realized she had been shot in the back herself.

The base commander, Lt. Gen. Robert Cone, described Bahr as "an amazing young lady."

Bahr was among four Wisconsin soldiers who were injured in the attack: Sgt. John Pagel of Denzer in Sauk County, shot in the arm and chest; Spc. Grant Moxon of Lodi, shot in the leg; and Capt. Dorothy "Dorrie" Carskadon of Monona, a clinical social worker, was shot several times, including in the abdomen.

Some are already trying to make political hay about the incident at Fort Hood, but it's premature to assess blame or suggest that anyone saw this coming. And it's inappropriate to jump to conclusions about the man who has been arrested in this case.

That information will come out soon enough, as investigators uncover the facts.

For now we join those who mourn our two lost soliders, and we marvel at the heroics of a young woman who followed her instincts and saved a fellow soldier without thought of herself. These are our best and brightest.

This editorial first appeared in The Green Bay Press-Gazette

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #562 on: November 10, 2009, 09:02:40 AM »

Kiel honors fallen soldier with vigil

Updated: Monday, 09 Nov 2009, 8:25 AM CST
Published : Sunday, 08 Nov 2009, 4:29 PM CST

    * Reporter: Kristin Crowley

KIEL - One of the victims killed in the Fort Hood shooting Thursday was 29-year-old Sgt. Amy Krueger of Kiel.

Sunday night, friends and family gathered to honor Krueger with a candlelight vigil.

The glow from candles illuminated the night as the Kiel community mourned the loss of Sgt. Amy Krueger.

"This is a huge crowd. For such a small community, you know? So we’re happy to see this," said vigil participant Dennes Breit.

The vigil began at a local sports bar. Hundreds gathered there, then made their way to Veteran's Memorial Park - just a few blocks away.

Many are still in shock and unable to speak about what happened. Breit, who has a son serving in Iraq, said the vigil will help people cope with the tragedy.

"I think it’s going to help everybody put this to rest at some point. Kind of get the grieving process started," he said.

Patriot Guard Riders led the walkers to the park in a show of support for Sgt. Krueger and her family.

"This is extremely important for the patriot guard to be here but also for the community to be here to support this family. I mean their loss, it’s a devastating thing for them to go through. And it’s very important that they know that even others they don’t even know are coming to share in their loss and support them," said Patriot Guard Ride Captain Michael Weaver.

A former school mate of Sgt. Krueger’s, Heather Seehaver, said while it is difficult to be reminded of the young soldiers loss, it's important to be at the vigil.

"Words can’t describe what it feels but I know it’s a good cause for Amy. She was well recognized and well liked. I can’t think of anybody that didn’t like her," said Seehaver.

For some, talking about it helps. For others not able to speak right now, they didn’t need words to show their grief Sunday night. Their tears, prayers and hugs spoke volumes.

Sgt. Amy Krueger, 29, Kiel, Wis.

The San Antonio Express-News has released a list of the victims in Thursday's Fort Hood shooting rampage that left 13 dead and 30 wounded. The list is compiled from various news reports around the country.

The Tri-County News publisher Mike Mathes posted this profile of Sgt. Amy Krueger, 29, of Kiel, Wis.:

    As the nation anguishes over the pain of the Fort Hood killings, Thursday, Kiel has learned that a woman from this community is among the victims. Amy Krueger, a Kiel High School graduate and member of St. Peter's United Church of Christ, is among the 13 people who died in the shooting that broke out at the Texas Army complex yesterday.

    Krueger was reportedly at Fort Hood to deploy to another mission in Afghanistan as part of the Madison-based 467th Medical Detachment. Her trained area of specialty was in the field of mental health.

Mathes writes that Krueger will be remembered in her community as a patriot, noting that she initially joined the military after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

She was deployed to serve in a 24-bed hospital at that time, treating mostly American soliders with combat stress, and teaching anger and stress management classes.

Also from the report:

    In a 2003 Tri-County News feature, both Amy and her mother, Jerilyn Krueger talked about the inherent dangers of military service.

    At that time, her mother commented, that Amy's decision to go into the service, "...didn't surprise me. She has always been a strong-headed, strong-willed person. She made the statement of intending to join the Army, went for everything and didn't procrastinate."

    In 2003, Amy Krueger told the Tri-County News, "Joining the Army helped to make us realize we value our country. We didn't know we cared so much."


Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #563 on: November 10, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »

The lawyer for the accused Fort Hood gunman indicated today he will question his client's mental competence, telling ABC News that one of the first things any lawyer would want to determine is whether there is a "mental responsibility issue present."
(ABC News/AP Photo)

Lawyer for Accused Fort Hood Shooter to Raise 'Mental Responsibility' Issue

Nov. 10, 2009

The lawyer for the accused Fort Hood gunman indicated today he will question his client's mental competence, telling ABC News that one of the first things any lawyer would want to determine is whether there is a "mental responsibility issue present."

Retired Army colonel John P. Galligan has been retained by the family of Major Nidal Malik Hasan, who is accused of killing 13 people in a murderous rampage last week and wounding dozens more.

Galligan, who was a military judge at Fort Hood until his retirement, met with his client Monday night at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio where Hasan is being treated for the four bullet wounds he received from hero cop Sgt. Kimberly Munley.

In an interview today on "Good Morning America," Galligan said Hasan was still heavily sedated, but understood why his lawyer was there.

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #564 on: November 10, 2009, 09:43:45 AM »

North Dakotan 'pretty scared' after Fort Hood shooting

 BELCOURT, N.D. (AP) — A Belcourt man says his son is still ``pretty scared' after being wounded in last week's shooting spree at a Texas Army base.

Patrick Blue Jr. said Sunday that his son Patrick Blue III is doing fine physically but remains shaken up by Thursday's shooting at Fort Hood. The younger Blue is a sergeant with the 101st Airborne Division.

The 23-year-old was hit in his side by bullet fragments. He was released from the hospital Friday but still has stitches.

The younger Blue has been in therapy to deal with mental trauma after returning from his second deployment to Iraq.

Patrick Blue Jr. says his son is looking into taking a 30-day leave and returning to North Dakota.

Berthold Native Wounded at Ft. Hood

23 year old, Patrick J. Blue, III was born and raised in Belcourt, North Dakota.

In 2003, he graduated from Bemidji High School, and decided to enlist into the United States Army.

"I thought it would be a good career choice," says Blue, III.

He had just finished his second tour in Iraq, and was undergoing treatment at Ft. Hood, when the unthinkable happened.

"I was surprised. I didn`t see it coming," says Blue, III.

Blue`s Father, Patrick Blue, Jr. watched the events unfold on his television.

"I was shook up, I couldn`t call him, I couldn`t get a hold of him," says Blue, Jr.

Blue, III was at the Soldiers Readiness Center, when 39 year old Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan killed 13 people and injured dozens more.

"I was trying to help direct traffic, I didn`t realize I was wounded," says Blue, III.

Fragments of one of the bullets hit his left side and he received 11 stitches. He was released from the hospital Friday.

"I was full of relief," says Blue, Jr.

"What`s next for me now? I don`t know," says Blue, III.

Blue is expected to make a full recovery.

"It`ll get better, it always does," says Blue, III.

Patrick Blue the 3rd is with the 101st Airborne, 2nd Brigade. He could not give KMOT details about the shootings and what he saw because the military has put a gag order on all the witnesses.


Monkey Mega Star
Offline Offline

Posts: 22914

« Reply #565 on: November 10, 2009, 10:21:03 AM »

A huge thanks to all for posting the stories about the heroes who died at the hands of this maniac radical.


Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #566 on: November 10, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »

Fort Hood attack is 3rd this year by antiwar radicals targeting military on U.S. soil

By Spencer S. Hsu
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, November 6, 2009; 4:53 PM

The Fort Hood attack is the third instance this year in which American military personnel in the United States have been targeted by people reportedly opposed to U.S. military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, terrorism experts said.

Investigators are seeking to determine the motivations of the Fort Hood suspect, Army Maj. Nidal M. Hasan, in part to understand whether his alleged actions fit in with what experts see as an emerging pattern of plots developed by U.S. citizens or residents rather than foreign attackers.

Federal prosecutors in September charged two North Carolina men for allegedly conspiring to kill personnel at the U.S. Marine Corps base at Quantico, seeking to attack U.S. forces at home if they could not overseas. In June, Abdul Hakim Mujahid Muhammad, an American Muslim convert, allegedly shot and killed one soldier and wounded another at a military recruiting center at Little Rock, Ark., in what he said was retaliation for U.S. counterterrorism policies worldwide.

Also this year, the last of five men was sentenced in April to 33 years in prison for planning to kill soldiers at Fort Dix, N.J., a plot inspired by foreign terrorist groups.

Overall, U.S. authorities have disclosed at least 10 domestic terrorist cases in the last year -- the most since 2001 -- in what analysts say is a disturbing spike that suggests the likelihood of incidents is growing. The suspects range from unskilled individuals ensnared in FBI stings after trying to obtain guns and explosives to people allegedly trained in Pakistan by al-Qaeda and preparing homemade bombs like those used in terrorist attacks in London and Madrid.

Terrorism analysts say that the would-be assailants in such plots are not foreign infiltrators, such as the Sept. 11, 2001, hijackers, but instead are U.S. citizens or residents motivated to violence on their own or by self-initiated contact with al-Qaeda and similar groups.

Bruce Hoffman, professor of security studies at Georgetown University, said the very diversity of cases and the complex stew of anger, fear or religious zeal said to inspire them makes it harder to define the problem and decide what to do about it, even as threats grow more common.

"I'm not saying it's part of an organized campaign or a systematic strategy, but we're seeing a sea change when we have once a month a plot that is related somehow to Afghanistan, Iraq or what these people see is a war against Islam," Hoffman said. "It's too easy to dismiss them as unstable individuals when they have expressed strong religious beliefs with politics. That's the essence of the radicalization we're facing."

Several U.S. counterterrorism officials contacted Thursday said it was too early to draw conclusions about the Fort Hood investigation.

One senior official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was just beginning, played down the prospect of any broader initiative to weaken U.S. troop morale or Americans' support for the fighting, saying he did not think there were any specific warnings to military installations or similar facilities of this type of an attack.

Frank Cilluffo, a former Bush White House aide who now leads George Washington University's Homeland Security Policy Institute, drew a wide distinction between unsophisticated individuals who might want to attack U.S. interests -- such as four American Muslims who converted in prison and then allegedly asked FBI informants for explosives to bomb Jewish centers in the Bronx in April-- and those who engaged in detailed training and planning with al-Qaeda operatives overseas and sought to recruit others -- such as Najibullah Zazi, a Denver airport shuttle driver arrested Sept. 19 after allegedly assembling bombmaking materials and driving to New York City, or Bryant Neal Vinas, a New York native who pleaded guilty in January and is cooperating with U.S. authorities after being captured in Pakistan.

Part of the rise in recent cases might simply result from more investigative work or stings by the FBI and other agencies, Cilluffo added.

In addition to the Bronx case, U.S. authorities in September charged Hosam Maher Smadi and Michael C. Finton for allegedly asking FBI informants separately for help to attack a Dallas skyscraper and federal building in Springfield, Ill. Last month, authorities also charged Tarek Mehanna of Boston, whom they accused of talking about attacking shopping malls and plotting to train with terrorists in Yemen.

Separately this year, U.S. authorities have charged several Somali American youths with going overseas to train with an Islamic extremist insurgency in Somalia that is affiliated with al-Qaeda, and two men from the Chicago area last week who allegedly met with a Qaeda-linked Pakistani separatist group to attack targets in Denmark.

"I don't know how much of this is we're getting better at flushing these guys out," Cilluffo said. "There's no shortage of intent. . . . Once you have foreign training, once you have linkages to [al-Qaeda] leadership and others, obviously, that changes the ballgame dramatically."

In some ways, Fort Hood investigators face a challenge that parallels what investigators encountered after the bombing of the Alfred Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City in April 1995, trying to determine what motivated bombers Timothy J. McVeigh and Terry L. Nichols and whether they were part of a larger threat. McVeigh , a former Army officer with a distinguished record who later came to spent time with militia groups, eventually struck out on his own after finding they lacked his willingness to commit violence.

"I do not know if it is a current or a lasting trend," Cilluffo said, "but obviously it is something we need to be concerned about, because some folks obviously won't be on our radar screen."

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #567 on: November 10, 2009, 11:12:12 AM »

Frank J. Cilluffo
The New
Global News : Passport : Ricks : Drezner : Walt : Rothkopf : Lynch
The Cable : The AfPak Blog : Net Effect : Shadow Govt. : Madam Secretary : The Call
Fort Hood misinformation
Fri, 11/06/2009 - 11:33am

Last night, the popular blog Gawker and a few other sources reported that Maj. Nidal Hasan, the Fort Hood shooter, participated in advising the White House on the transition via a George Washington University think tank on homeland security.

It turns out, it was all wrong. Last night, I spoke with Frank Cilluffo, the director of G.W.'s Homeland Security Policy Institute and a Foreign Policy contributor, who explained the errors.

The Institute had authored an advisory paper -- not because the White House commissioned it, but because that's what think tanks do.

How was Hasan "affiliated"? Cilluffo notes that G.W. lists everyone who RSVPs to Institute events in the meeting booklets (common practice in D.C. think tanks). Hasan was just a member of the public who attended a HSPI event. He never had any affiliation at all.

Cilluffo remembered calling on Hasan during a Q&A session. The Institute director recalled cutting Hasan off when he wouldn't stop talking, and recognized him when the television started broadcasting his picture yesterday. But, that was it. They have no relationship; the think tank has no relationship with Hasan.

Gawker has since corrected its post, which is good to see; other blogs (see Spencer Ackerman, for one) have debunked the rumor. But the lie peppered the Internet last night, and continues to today. The media and the public, of course, want answers about this senseless crime. I hope the media waits until it really has them to publish.

Frank J. Cilluffo

Frank CilluffoAssociate Vice President
Director, Homeland Security Policy Institute

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #568 on: November 10, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »

A memorial to the victims was erected at the apartment complex
where suspect Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan lived.

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #569 on: November 10, 2009, 11:36:38 AM »

Fort Hood fire chief recalls response to 'shots fired' moment
By Jim Spellman and Ed Lavandera, CNN
November 10, 2009 9:40 a.m. EST

Fire chief Billy Rhoads displays his tattoo of brotherhood. "I just could not fathom what we were going to encounter.

Fort Hood, Texas (CNN) -- The call came over the radio. "Shots fired." And then, even worse: "Officer down."

Billy Rhoads, chief of the Fort Hood Fire Department, grabbed a radio and donned his flak jacket. He jumped into his SUV and tore down the road. A dozen or so blocks away, at the Soldier Readiness Center, a gunman had opened fire on soldiers.

Rhoads stepped from his truck. His department's motto is "Protecting those who protect us." He hoped he was not too late for that.

The scene was chaotic. Wounded and dead soldiers were everywhere.

"I was listening to people hollering for help, and I was trying to get in there to see what we had," Rhoads recalled three days after the November 6 attack. "I assumed that we would have maybe several victims. I had no idea, I just could not fathom what we were going to encounter."

Amid all the army uniforms, one dark blue uniform stuck out.

It was Fort Hood police Sgt. Kimberly Munley, who, officials say, shot the alleged gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, to end the rampage. She suffered three gunshot wounds.
Video: First responder at Fort Hood
Video: Army unites after massacre
Video: Getting to know the suspect

    * Fort Hood
    * Shootings

"I broke and ran over to her," Rhoads said. "I got over to her and began trying to talk to her."

Rhoads and Munley had worked closely in the past. He considers her a friend.

Army medics had fashioned a makeshift tourniquet on her leg. He bent down to comfort her. She was extremely weak and unable to speak loudly.

"I just kept reminding her of her daughter and that she needed to stay with us for the baby's sake," he said. "She's a very tough cookie."

Munley, 34, had served in the Army herself before becoming a police officer at Fort Hood. Her husband is a staff sergeant in the Army, and their daughter is 3 years old.

Munley's neighbors have said she is so tough, she stopped burglars from entering her house last year.

Said Rhoads of Munley: "The old saying that dynamite comes in small packages is very true."

Emergency personnel were flooding the scene, and helicopters were en route to evacuate the injured.

Rhoads, who began as a volunteer firefighter 26 years ago when he was just a teen, took over the scene as incident commander. But first, he paused for a quick prayer.

"I just asked the Lord to be with me, to give me the strength and the courage I need to do my job wisely and keep my people safe."

Even as the first responders worked on the dozens of wounded soldiers, they weren't certain whether there were other shooters on the post.

"The thought's always there on your mind that there could be another suspect in the area," Rhoads said.

As for Hasan, the fire chief says that discussing the shooting suspect is too emotional. "I saw the suspect from a distance, but I never got a look at him."

Rhoads' prayers remain with the soldiers he tries to keep safe. "It's very emotional for everybody when we lose our soldiers. But when we lose them here at home like this, it takes it to a different level."

He says the department has arranged for counselors to be available for the firefighters as they process all they have endured. They've received phone and text messages from fire and police departments all across the country, offering support and prayer.

But the main thing his firefighters have relied on, he says, is each other.

"Afterward, everyone started to console each other and talk to each other. It's a brotherhood."

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #570 on: November 10, 2009, 11:58:36 AM »

Wounded man with local ties once worked with the gunman

Shawn Manning and wife Autumn (photos provided by family)

Shawn Manning, shot 5 times, expected to survive
By Scott Hammers / The Bulletin
Last modified: November 07. 2009 10:39AM PST

A former Redmond-area resident is expected to survive after being shot five times Thursday in a mass shooting at a Texas Army base that killed 13 and injured 30.

Shawn Manning, 33, was shot once in the lung, twice in the abdomen, once in the leg and once in the foot during the shooting spree at Fort Hood, Texas, according to his aunt JoDeen Ridgway. Ridgway, who lives in Prineville, said her nephew served as a social worker for the Army, and worked with the Army psychiatrist who has been identified as the gunman, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan.

“That guy was supposed to be his friend.” Ridgway said. “He works in mental health, too. They worked in the same hospital, the one in Washington, Walter Reed.”

Larry Manning, Shawn’s father, left Redmond on Friday morning to fly to Texas to see his son. Shawn Manning’s brothers, Todd and Brian, and his sister, Kim, will also be going to Texas, according to Chris Haley, Larry Manning’s sister.

Haley said Shawn Manning was able to speak to his father on the phone Friday morning.

Shawn Manning lived in Redmond for about four years, Haley said, and is listed in Redmond High School yearbooks as a freshman in 1991 and a sophomore in 1992. He finished high school while living with his mother in Idaho, Ridgway said.

Haley said Shawn Manning has been living near Seattle, and recently remarried. He served two tours in Iraq in recent years, she said, and was scheduled to deploy again soon.

Randy Trogdon, Larry Manning’s neighbor for the last five years, said that when he heard on Thursday evening about the shootings at Fort Hood, his thoughts immediately turned to Shawn Manning. Trogdon said he knew Shawn Manning worked in the mental health field for the Army, and had recently been called up to Fort Hood in preparation for his deployment.

Later Thursday evening, Larry Manning called Trogdon to tell him Shawn Manning had been shot, and that he would be going to Texas in the morning. Trogdon said Larry Manning was extremely concerned, because the Army had provided him with only limited information about his son’s condition. Trogdon said he thought about Shawn Manning’s multiple bullet wounds when he heard that one of the injured had died on Friday, and wondered if it might have been his neighbor’s son.

Trogdon said he met Shawn Manning on multiple occasions when he’d come home to visit his father, and though he never talked much about what he did in the Army, he was proud of his service. During his visits, the two would often ride ATVs or target shoot in the backyard of Larry Manning’s rural home northeast of Redmond.

“He’s a nice guy,” Trogdon said. “The Mannings are just nice people, very caring.”

Haley and Ridgway both said their brother has been extremely tense since learning about his son’s injuries, but they expect the visit to Texas will be good for him and other members of the family.

Scott Hammers can be reached at 541-383-0387 or

Ex-Redmond Ft. Hood shooting victim out of ICU

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 06:51 PM

Last Updated: Nov 9, 2009 09:01 PM

'He's going to make it,' aunt in Prineville says

From KTVZ.COM news sources

The family of former Redmond resident shot six times in the Fort Hood shooting rampage reported his strong progress Monday, saying he's out of intensive care and even able to stand and walk a bit.

Here's the full statement provided by the family:


Monday update

Shawn is still in stable condition at an undisclosed hospital in Texas. He was removed from ICU this afternoon. We are here with him. It is very important to us that his location remain private at this time. As a family we are trying to stay focused on getting Shawn back to Fort Lewis and to Madigan Hospital in Washington State, although at this time he is not in physical condition to be transferred. Fort Lewis and Madigan is where he has been stationed and worked for many years as a Behavioral Health Practitioner and has a Masters degree in Psychology. Shawn and his wife currently reside in Lacey, Washington.

We can confirm the following:

Shawn was shot 6 times and was one of the first victims of the gunman. One shot to the chest, three in the abdomen, one in the leg and one in the foot. All the bullets have been removed except for one but we are told it does not present any issues at this time and is not life threatening. All of the shots missed major organs and arteries and we are blessed with this miracle. We are very fortunate for this and our thoughts and prayers are with the families that have lost loved ones. Shawn was able to stand and walk a short distance today. He is talking to us and wants everyone to know how much he appreciates all the communities supporting him and his family.

He did not know or work with the gunman at anytime. (This has been reported and it is important to us that the true fact gets out) Shawn had been at Fort Hood for a day and a half when the incident took place.

His recent deployment had been set for Afghanistan.

Shawn is very passionate about his work as a Mental Health professional for the Army. He is very proud to serve his country. He understands the need of his fellow soldiers and wanted to help them anyway he could. Even in his current condition he is worried and thinking of his fellow soldiers. When serving in Iraq, Shawn would visit the Orphanages whenever they could get to them. He liked to talk and play with the children and would often share his care packages with them. Although Shawn has no children of his own, he is a favorite uncle and is often referred to as their hero.

We have had lots of interest to send flowers or donations. If anyone would like do donate please visit a Wells Fargo Bank where an account has been set up for the benefit of Shawn Manning.

Thank you, Kym Lott and the Manning family


The nation’s worst military-base mass shooting left 13 soldiers dead and 30 wounded.

Manning, 33, was shot by the gunman, identified as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan.

Lott said Manning’s father, Larry Manning, and stepmother, Sonya, are Redmond residents, and that Shawn Manning lived in Redmond for less than a year, attending Redmond High School.

Manning, who was born in Twin Falls, Idaho, attended Idaho State University and now lives in Lacey, Wash., with his wife, Autumn, Lott said.

Manning, a staff sergeant for the Combat Stress Unit in the 467th Medical Detachment Unit, joined the Army in 2006 and has served twice in Iraq, in 2003 and 2006. He had been called back to active duty last month and was preparing for a third overseas deployment when the attack occurred, Lott said.

"The family appreciates all the thoughts and support of our communities," their Saturday statement said, adding, "No interviews will be done at this time and the family is asking that their privacy be respected."

Manning’s mother, Shari Taylor, lives in Twin Falls and Hailey, Idaho. He also has two brothers, Todd (and Stephanie) Manning of Colorado Springs, and Bryan Manning, also of Hailey.

Monkey Junky
Offline Offline

Posts: 3266

« Reply #571 on: November 10, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »

The article debunking the fact that Hasan attended a meeting of Homeland Security is certainly interesting.  It says that a record is kept of everyone who RSVPs.I wonder if this means Hasan was invited and accepted and if so, why was he invited? 

I'm not going to post much more if any on this subject, but my heart goes out to the families of those killed and wounded in this terrorist attack.  I have read the Koran and I know what Allah expects his followers to do to non-believers. Members of the US Government who are responsible for our security should read it too and understand why Hasan did this and why others will follow and they should act accordingly.

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #572 on: November 10, 2009, 12:06:30 PM »

Guest Book for Spc. Jason Dean Hunt – Online Guest Book by

Jason Dean Hunt, 21, from Oklahoma

Fort Hood Shooting Claims Former Oklahoma Resident


A recently married, 22-year-old soldier from southwest Oklahoma was one of the 13 people killed in a shooting rampage at Fort Hood, his mother said Friday.

Gale Hunt of Frederick said two uniformed soldiers came to her door at 11:30 p.m. Thursday to notify her of the death of her son, Spc. Jason Dean Hunt.

She said her son entered the military after graduating from Tipton High School, and had served three and a half years, including a stint in Iraq. He was previously stationed at Fort Stewart in Georgia.

Hunt said her son was married two months ago. He re-enlisted for an additional six years after serving his first two-year hitch. She described him as family-oriented.

"He didn't go in for hunting or sports," she said. "He was a very quiet boy who enjoyed video games."

Hunt said the military told her that her son's body will be flown to Dover, Md., before final burial arrangements are made.

Kathy Gray, an administrative assistant at Tipton Schools, said Hunt, known as J.D., started attending school in Tipton in elementary school and graduated in 2005.

"He was a real quiet kid, just kind of a quiet boy and a good kid, very kind," Gray said.

Superintendent Shane Boothe said school officials are planning to have a moment of silence Friday night at the Tipton football game against Thackerville and will plan other memorials.

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #573 on: November 10, 2009, 12:23:57 PM »

Lt. Col. Juanita Warman, 55, of Havre De Grace, Md., was a military physician assistant with two daughters and six grandchildren. A half-sister, Kristina Rightweiser, said Warman was from a military family. Their father, who died in 2007, was a "career military man."

Guest Book for Lt. Col. Juanita Warman

'This is not the way she was going to go'

Sunday, November 08, 2009
By Michael A. Fuoco and Kaitlynn Riely, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Lt. Col. Juanita Warman: killed at Fort Hood

When Philip Warman learned of the shooting rampage Thursday at Fort Hood, Texas, his thoughts -- and fears -- naturally turned to his wife, Lt. Col. Juanita Warman.

Lt. Col. Warman, 55, had been at Fort Hood for only 24 hours to be processed for duty in Iraq, a deployment for which she had volunteered.

Mr. Warman, a lawyer who lives in Havre de Grace, Md., was particularly worried because the attack, in which 13 people were killed and 30 wounded, occurred in Fort Hood's Soldier Readiness Processing Center, where medical and dental care is provided to those about to deploy overseas.

"Naturally, I was trying to track her down," Mr. Warman said in a telephone interview yesterday from his home, where family and friends had gathered to grieve and support each other. "I kept thinking, 'She can't be in the processing center.' She had just gotten there, she had more training to undergo. She was not due to leave until the end of November. The base hot line didn't have her on the initial list of casualties.

"I thought, 'Good, she's probably OK. She just can't get through to me.' "

A half-hour later, his doorbell rang.

"There were two [soldiers] in Class A uniforms. I knew what that was all about."

Indeed, Lt. Col. Warman was among those killed.

"I knew she was going in harm's way in Iraq. [But at Fort Hood], this is not the way she was going to go," he said, choking up.

His wife's military career spanned 25 years in active duty and Army reserves.

A certified psychiatric nurse practitioner originally from Pittsburgh and whose relatives still live in area, she had undergone training in California in preparation for her mission and was due for more training at Fort Hood.

Mr. Warman and his wife were both graduates of the University of Pittsburgh, where she earned a master's degree in nursing.

The couple, who married in the late 1990s, had moved to Maryland in 2005 where Lt. Col. Warman accepted a job at a Veterans Administration facility in Perryville, Md. Prior to the move, the couple lived in Pittsburgh and she had a civilian practice at UPMC. She was an expert in post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury.

"She was excellent at her practice," he said.

Lt. Col. Warman served a year overseas at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, the Army facility where those injured in Afghanistan and Iraq are treated before being sent stateside for further medical care. She regularly volunteered for round-trip flights to Iraq to care for soldiers being sent to Landstuhl, her husband said.

She received an Army Commendation Medal in 2006 for meritorious service at Landstuhl.

The American and German flags are flying at half staff Saturday at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany in honor of the 12 Soldiers and one civilian killed at Ft. Hood last week. Photo: Soldiers' Angels.

"She was indeed an extraordinary woman," said Mr. Warman. "I can't remember when we weren't together. We met at a social event at the University Club in 1986. We've been together since. She was my best friend. She was an excellent soldier."

Lt. Col. Warman's stepson, Philip, 38, said the family was "deeply saddened. We're going through the grieving process.

"She was a good soldier. She loved her family, her job, her colleagues and her friends and she will be deeply missed."

In Crafton last night, family and friends gathered to mourn. Eva Waddle, Lt. Col. Warman's mother, said her daughter couldn't wait to deploy. Other family members agreed.

"She was looking forward to help her country by helping the soldiers who needed her professional help," her sister, Tammy J. Harper of Pittsburgh, said. "She didn't want them to wait to get home to get help."

After the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Lt. Col. Warman's commitment to the armed services grew, her relatives said.

"She really donated her life to serving her country," her daughter, Melissa Papst-Czemerda, 29, of Peters, said. "She loved helping people and making a difference. She was a heroine and gave her life serving her country."

On Oct. 29, Lt. Col. Warman made her final Facebook posting. Ms. Harper said the family had been reading and re-reading the note since her death. The note mentions how her sister was missing her daughters and grandchildren, and kept track of their lives through the photographs they posted.

"I am so excited to be leaving the country again soon," Lt. Col. Warman said in her posting. "Just now got a few minutes. So much to do, so many lives to touch. Just wish it didn't take me away from home so much."

Lt. Col. Warman is survived by her husband, two daughters, three stepchildren and eight grandchildren, her mother and six siblings. The family expects Lt. Col. Warman to be buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

Michael A. Fuoco can be reached at or 412-263-1968. Kaitlynn Riely can be reached at or 412-263-1707.

Read more:

Trauma expert wanted to help female soldiers
Highest-ranking person killed in shootings, Lt. Col. Juanita Warman, had husband, two daughters and six grandchildren.

By Patrick George
Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Editor's Note: Lt. Col. Juanita Warman was one of 13 people killed Thursday at Fort Hood.

Just a day after Lt. Col. Juanita Warman arrived at Fort Hood, the shooting started.

Warman had arrived in Texas to be processed for her deployment to Iraq at the end of the month. On Thursday, she was at the post's Soldier Readiness Processing Center when a gunman entered and began firing, killing her and a dozen others. She was 55.

Warman is survived by a husband, two daughters and six grandchildren.

"I kept thinking, 'She can't be in the processing center,' " her husband, Philip Warman, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "She had just gotten there; she had more training to undergo. She was not due to leave until the end of November. The base hot line didn't have her on the initial list of casualties."

But a half-hour later, two soldiers arrived in dress uniforms, and Warman immediately knew she had been killed, he told the paper.

Warman lived in Havre de Grace, Md., but grew up in Pittsburgh. Her relatives couldn't be reached for comment.

The highest-ranking victim of the shootings, Warman was an Army reservist called to active duty. She was a psychiatric nurse practitioner and an expert in post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury. She had worked at the Perry Point Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Virginia.

Her sister, Margaret Yaggie, told the Post-Gazette that Warman attended Pittsburgh Langley High School and the University of Pittsburgh. She said Warman spent most of her career in the military.

Gen. James Adkins, adjutant general for Maryland, said Warman was instrumental in setting up the post-traumatic stress disorder program for the Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program, which helps soldiers and their families reacclimate to civilian life.

"She was especially interested in helping female veterans," Lt. Col. Mike Gafney of the Maryland National Guard said in an e-mail. It was a mission "that was very dear to her heart," he said.

"She loved meeting with and helping women soldiers through the long and many times lonely path they had to face after coming back from the war," Gafney said.; 512-392-8750

Additional material from The Associated Press and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Editor's Note: We have disabled commenting on this story because of repeated abuse of our commenting policy related to the Ft. Hood shooting.

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #574 on: November 10, 2009, 12:44:19 PM »

Suspected Fort Hood Shooter's Attorney Has Long History in Army Law, Says Client 'Coherent'

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

 State Bar of Texas
Retired Colonel John P. Galligan

The lawyer for the Army psychiatrist accused in the mass shooting at Fort Hood says the suspected gunman was "coherent" when he spoke to him and he is "aware that he's a suspect," The Associated Press reported.

Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan's attorney is retired Col. John P. Galligan, who has a long history practicing Army law and last served as Chief Circuit Judge at Fort Hood in Texas.

Galligan said on CBS' "The Early Show" that he assured Hasan he'll be fairly treated in the military courts system and his rights will be respected, according to the AP.

Galligan said Hasan, 39, was lucid and knew he was a suspect in the mass killings, "but there were no formal charges that I could discuss with him." The two met on Monday.

Galligan said Tuesday he thought it would be difficult for Hasan to get a fair trial at Fort Hood in Texas "given the national media attention that has been focused" on the massacre, which left 13 dead and more than two dozen wounded.

Hasan is suspected of opening fire the afternoon of Nov. 5 at a military processing center for soldiers coming back from and heading to war in Afghanistan or Iraq.

At the time of Galligan's 2001 retirement, he was serving as the Chief Circuit Judge, 3rd Judicial Circuit, at Fort Hood.

Born in 1949 at Fort Bliss in El Paso, Galligan grew up in a military family and accompanied his parents on assignments to Fort Churchill, Nevada; Canada; Taipei, Taiwan; and Istanbul, Turkey.

After graduating from Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service in 1971, Galligan became a second lieutenant in the military's intelligence division.

He also served at various times as a combat arms officer in the infantry branch, a platoon leader and the Brigade Courts and Boards Officer with the 41st Infantry Combat unit at Fort Ord in California.

He has his law degree from the University of Puerto Rico.

From 1976 to 1979, Galligan served as a defense counsel and later as a trial attorney in the 1st Armored Division in Germany.

He was an appellate counsel with the U.S. Army Legal Services Agency from 1979 until 1981.In that role, he represented the government in cases before the U.S. Army Court of Military Review and the Court of Army Appeals.

Galligan helped develop the Trial Counsel Assistance Program, designed to assist military prosecutors in improving their trial skills.

Galligan twice served in the U.S. Army Litigation Division, first as a branch chief and later as the division chief.

He served two tours with the 1st Cavalry Division at Fort Hood as deputy and staff judge advocate. He also was staff judge advocate in Panama.

In 1997, he assumed duties as a circuit judge at Fort Hood, becoming Chief Circuit Judge for the 3rd Circuit — one of the largest and busiest jurisdictions in the Army — in 1999.

He was on a judicial reform team that focused on South America. The group worked on criminal prosecution and military justice.

Galligan is licensed to practice law in Puerto Rico, Washington, D.C., and Texas. After he retired from the Army, he set up a private law firm in Belton, Texas.

Galligan has played the cello since he was 5 years old. He has been a cellist in various amateur orchestras, as well as in local orchestra groups while serving at Fort Hood in the early 1990s.

Galligan is married to Harriett Mechiko Despretter; the couple have two sons and live in California.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.,2933,573625,00.html

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #575 on: November 10, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »

President Obama waved as he boarded Air Force One prior to his departure on Tuesday for a memorial service for the 13 people killed at Fort Hood.

Obama Travels to Texas for Service at Fort Hood

Published: November 10, 2009

WASHINGTON — President Obama headed to Texas on Tuesday morning to meet with victims of the rampage at Fort Hood and the families of the 13 who were slain, address the grieving community at the sprawling military base and, ultimately, serve as consoler-in-chief to a nation still shaken and mystified by last Thursday’s mass shooting.

The president and his wife, Michelle, were to arrive in Killeen not long before noon Central time, visit privately first with the families of those killed in the attack, and immediately afterward gather with some of the dozens of wounded and their family members.

The Obamas will then attend the memorial service, which a base spokesman said would be a traditional military ceremony. It will include prayers, speeches, a sermon, a “roll call” tribute to the 13 dead and then a rifle salute.

Several thousand people are expected to attend, and security around the base has been tightened since the shooting.

Mr. Obama will speak at 1:00 p.m. Central time.

Afterward, he and Mrs. Obama will meet with other survivors of the shooting before returning to Washington.

The base spokesman, Lt. Gen. Robert Cone, said at a briefing on Monday that the ceremony was intended to help the people of Fort Hood move forward, just as memorial ceremonies in war zones are meant to do.

"The added benefit, of course,” General Cone said, “is having the president of the United States here, and all that represents."

Past presidents have helped the nation work through some of its most wrenching tragedies, often through soaring rhetoric that can leave a lasting mark at a time of deep pain.

When President George W. Bush grabbed a bullhorn while standing in the rubble of the World Trade Center shortly after the Sept. 11 terrorism attacks, the image of a strong and compassionate leader helped send his approval ratings to 90 percent.

President Bill Clinton similarly paid a moving tribute after the bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City in 1995 in which 168 people died. “Let us let our own children know that we will stand against the forces of fear,” Mr. Clinton said at a memorial service there. “When there is talk of hatred, let us stand up and talk against it. When there is talk of violence, let us stand up and talk against it. In the face of death, let us honor life.”

The somber tributes President Ronald Reagan paid to the Marines killed in a Beirut truck-bombing in 1983 and to the seven astronauts who died in the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger in 1986, helped establish his reputation as a “Great Communicator.”

The job of conveying presidential empathy and compassion — but also projecting a reassuring calm in a storm — now falls to Mr. Obama.

His task is rendered all the more difficult because the suspected killer, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, is a Muslim at a time when Mr. Obama oversees wars in two predominantly Muslim countries — even while working to improve relations with the Muslim world.

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #576 on: November 10, 2009, 01:01:01 PM »

Fort Hood Tragedy: Inside the Wall
by Rick Leventhal

IMG00091-20091110-1113When the military wants to get something done, it can do so with amazing speed and efficiency.  I’ve seen this firsthand in some pretty far-flung locations like Afghanistan and Iraq …  and was reminded of it by the building of the security wall at Fort Hood, Texas.

Using massive forklifts and Con-Ex shipping containers, the U.S. Army has built a protective barrier around a field in front of the III Corp Headquarters Building to keep families, dignitaries and the President safe and out of sight.

By my calculation, the main portion of the wall runs nearly 900 feet long and stands almost 30 feet tall.  A side wall runs more than 200 feet with containers stacked two and three high.  Several members of the White House Press Corp told me they’d never seen anything like it, although I’ve been told by others that both former President George W. Bush and former Vice President Dick Cheney got similar treatment at visits to other military posts.

Inside the wall the majority of press is assembling in a penned in area at the very rear in a corner (is there an underlying message here…?).  Some 2000 chairs have been set up much closer to the platform and podium built near the driveway in front of the HQ, where family members of the Fort Hood victims and some of those wounded who were treated and released will join politicians, officers, friends and members of the public wishing to pay tribute to the fallen.

UnnamedThe mood here has been somber, respectful and reflective.  There is little discussion between soldiers and the press about warning signs that may have been missed by investigators regarding suspect Major Nidal Malik Hasan’s reported contact with radical islamists overseas.  They’re not looking to place blame or point fingers, at least not to us.  What we’re hearing time and again is how proud they are of their fellow soldiers in the way they handled the incident, treating the wounded (including the alleged killer himself) and supporting each other in a time of crisis. The focus here is on healing and staying on course, allowing the investigation to move forward while learning lessons to try and prevent anything like this from ever happening again.


Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #577 on: November 10, 2009, 01:03:01 PM »

Muffy, where are you, help!

Can you resize the pics above please?

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #578 on: November 10, 2009, 01:06:56 PM »

Military families head to Fort Hood ceremony
© 2009 The Associated Press
Nov. 10, 2009, 11:23AM

FORT HOOD, Texas — Hundreds of military families and civilians are arriving at the Fort Hood site where victims of last week's shootings will be honored.

Some relatives were wearing red, white and blue ribbons to the Tuesday ceremony where President Barack Obama was to speak later.

Sheila Wormuth, whose husband is stationed at Fort Hood, brought her 3-year-old daughter to the service to show their support. She says her husband wasn't at the shooting site Thursday, but "what happens to my husband's brothers and sisters happens to us."

The ceremony site is a field on the massive post cordoned off with walls of steel shipping containers.

The soldier suspected in the shootings left 13 people dead and 29 wounded remains hospitalized.

Monkey All Star Jr.
Offline Offline

Posts: 7717

« Reply #579 on: November 10, 2009, 01:19:28 PM »
Memorial for Fort Hood Massacre Victims: Watch Live

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 »   Go Up
Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.
Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC
Page created in 6.353 seconds with 19 queries.