April 28, 2024, 05:09:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stephanie Condon 14, missing 10/30/98 Riddle OR (REMAINS FOUND Glide, OR) !!  (Read 15062 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: March 25, 2009, 02:07:53 PM »

Anyone who follows missing person reports will know/remember this young girl who went missing in Oregon in 1998. Well...she is now coming home to be laid to rest.

Remains found near Glide belong to teen missing since 1998

Story Updated: Mar 25, 2009 at 10:23 AM PDT
By KPIC Web Staff ROSEBURG, Ore. -- Skeletal remains found last week on an abandoned logging road in Oregon belong to a 14-year-old girl who disappeared in 1998, according to investigators.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office held a press conference Wednesday morning and confirmed that the remains found near Glide, Ore., are those of Stephanie Condon.

Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin said that no cause of death has been announced, but that the remains are still being examined. Hanlin said that the investigation is ongoing, and he still hopes to make an arrest in the case.

Condon disappeared the night of Oct. 30, 1998. She was 14 years old at the time.

Condon was babysitting for her cousin Cheryl Richey at Richey's home on Henry Street in Tri City the night of her disappearance.

Richey returned home around 1:30 a.m. and found her twins sleeping in their beds.

She also found Stephanie's backpack, schoolbook and clothes.

Stephanie was gone.

The remains were found near a logging road in the Little River area near Glide, Ore., by a hiker who was walking his dog on Friday, March 13.

The remains were sent to the Oregon State Police Crime Lab for identification.

Stephanie's family launched a Web site about the case on the 9th anniversary of her disappearance.

Condon's story has been featured on various national programs over the years, including an episode of the CBS show Without a Trace, as well as appearances by family members on The Early Show on CBS.

A billboard on Interstate 5 sought public help solving the case.

more photos at link
http://www.katu.com/news/local/41831747.html

WOW.....simply WOW is all I can say.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:29:54 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 04:15:57 PM »

Remains found near Glide match Stephanie Elizabeth Condon
March 25, 2009, 11:28 AM

ROSEBURG -- Human remains found in Southern Oregon have been identified as those of a 14-year-old girl who vanished while baby-sitting for her cousin's twins in 1998.

The Douglas County sheriff's office said today it's optimistic the discovery will lead to an arrest in the death of Stephanie Condon.

"Investigators believe that the recovery of Stephanie's remains and the seizure of evidence will be instrumental in bringing this case to a successful resolution, including the arrest and prosecution of the person responsible for Stephanie's death," Sheriff John Hanlin said in a statement.

Condon was reported missing Oct. 31, 1998, prompting searches by local authorities and the FBI.

Douglas County deputies said Dale Wayne Hill, now 39 and 28 at the time she went missing, remains their suspect. They wouldn't say where Hill is or whether they were seeking him, but KGW (Cool is reporting that he has been arrested in Reno, Nev., and the Nevada Appeal has published a photo of the arrest.

Hill, who once lived on the same rural road near where Condon's skeletal remains were found, has reportedly been living in Carson City, Nev.

Douglas County Sgt. Aron Alexander said numerous people were investigated "and Hill is the only one who hasn't been cleared. He's still a suspect."

During the decade of investigation, Douglas County detectives said Hill's .38-caliber handgun was missing, and Hill told them he had sold it but could not remember to whom.

Hill told deputies he saw the girl the night she vanished when he stopped by the house where she was baby-sitting.

Search and rescue teams combed back roads near Myrtle Creek, especially in areas where a truck similar to one owned by Hill had been reported by local residents.

Hanlin said at a news conference today the remains were found March 13 by Joseph Mellin of Glide, who was walking his dogs on a logging road. Mellin told authorities he found a human skull when he stopped to rest them at the base of a tree.

Hanlin said it took a week to recover all the remains. He said other evidence was recovered, but he didn't describe it further.

A month after Condon vanished, Hill was arrested and charged with burglary for breaking into a Myrtle Creek home and stealing a pair of women's panties. He pleaded no contest and was sentenced to nearly six years in prison.

A year after Stephanie disappeared, detectives said they thought Hill harmed her in retaliation against the cousin, Cheryl Richey, who was at a bar with another man. Hill had been in the bar earlier that evening.

Richey returned home at about 1:30 a.m. Oct. 31, 1998, finding the twins asleep and that Condon was gone.

Hundreds of clues poured in, from as far away as Kentucky and Missouri and some foreign countries. The reward fund for information reached $25,000.

Those investigated and ruled out included Joel Courtney, awaiting trial on an aggravated murder charge in the 2004 disappearance of Brooke Wilberger, a 19-year-old Brigham Young University student who vanished from an apartment complex near Oregon State University in Corvallis.

At Wednesday's news conference Condon's father, Martin Condon, said the outcome was not the one the family had hoped for but now family members could concentrate on getting justice for Stephanie's death.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/03/skelatal_remains_found_near_gi.html

Dale Wayne Hill

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 07:00:39 PM »

Poor child...my heart breaks for her family..
At least she can be given a proper burial and her family now knows where she is...
so sad....

Porchlight
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:16:56 PM »

RIP Stephanie. You deserved better...

"If you have a chance to accomplish something that will make things better for people coming behind you, and you don't do that, you are wasting your time on this earth." The late, great Roberto Clemente.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »

Arrest will come soon in Riddle girl's abduction, sheriff says

11:19 AM PDT on Thursday, March 26, 2009
RIDDLE, Ore. -- Police have identified the remains of a girl from Riddle, Oregon who disappeared nearly 11 years ago in a suspected abduction.

Stephanie Condon was 14 when she vanished from a family member's home in Tri-City, while babysitting her cousin's twins on the night before Halloween in 1998.

'Person of interest' in custody

Deputies said Dale Wayne Hill, who was 28 at the time Stephanie went missing, remains a "person of interest" in the case. He was taken into custody in Reno, Nevada Wednesday on unrelated charges, for failing to register as a felon and early Thursday morning, he pleaded guilty to those charges. He was sentenced to spend the next 30 days in the Lyon County Jail, which gives Oregon investigators time to build their case agaisnt him. More: 'Person of interest' in custody .......snipped

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_032509_news_missing_girl_condon.6d628e32.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »

People in Riddle, OR deeply affected by the discovery of Stephanie Condon's remains 

Created: Thursday, 26 Mar 2009, 2:09 PM PDT 
KVAL  --  While the identification of Stephanie Condon's remains weighs heavily on the family, it's also affected people in her hometown. Residents of Riddle say the news is a mixed blessing. "Every time you passed those big billboards, every time you saw her picture on the wall, you never forgot her," said Carol Linton, co-owner of the hardware store downtown. That image of Stephanie, frozen in time, won't be forgotten for quite a while in this town of 1,100.
http://www.myfoxeugene.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=8387801&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 03:45:39 PM »

Justice for Stephanie Condon

ROSEBURG, Ore. -- A hiker stumbled across the skeletal remains March 13.

The same day, police from Oregon, the FBI and Nevada police dropped in on Dale Wayne Hill in Dayton, Nev., taking him into custody on suspicion of failing to register as a felon.

A court sentenced him to 30 days in jail the very next day on that charge, even as investigators said Hill remained the only suspect in Condon's disappearance.

However, Hill has not been charged with any crimes related to the Condon investigation. He protested his innocence in a jailhouse interview in 1998 but has not spoken to the media about the case since his arrest.

So a decade and counting after Stephanie Condon disappeared, justice continues to elude Condon and her family.

Investigators still processing evidence

Douglas County District Attorney Rick Wesenberg said they're doing everything they can to make sure they prosecute whomever is responsible for Condon's death.

Since the body was found on March 13, investigators from several agencies have been working on evidence found at the scene to try to determine who was responsible for her death.

"The investigation into this case is ongoing," Wesenberg said. "We in the DA's office are very actively involved in this, and we are determined to bring whoever is responsible for this crime to justice."

Wesenberg said he hopes the family can finally get some closure.

"The fact that Stephanie has been missing all these years has just been a cloud over our community, but more importantly it's just been a cloud of uncertainty over that family," he said, "and at least there's some closure for the Condons at this point."

http://www.kval.com/news/local/42271632.html

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »

It's never too late for justice.  I hope there is an arrest and conviction of the person that murdered Stephanie Condon. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 06:00:31 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 04:04:58 PM »

The Sunday Oregonian (Portland, Oregon) 
April 19, 2009 Sunday

Hundreds in Douglas County mourn Stephanie Condon A "celebration of life" is held for the girl who vanished a decade ago An 'angel' is mourned Douglas County remembers the life of Stephanie Condon Stephanie

ROSEBURG --Stephanie Elizabeth Condon began life as the daughter of Marty and Christine Condon of Riddle. But during the past 10 years, she became the daughter of Douglas County.

"She's always been our angel," her father, Marty Condon, told an audience Saturday afternoon at the Douglas County Fairgrounds. "Now she's yours and the Lord's angel."

Condon's emotional and uplifting speech in front of 800 people was the centerpiece of a "celebration of life" at Douglas Hall.

The service followed a string of recent pivotal events in the decade-old missing-person case, beginning with the discovery of Stephanie Condon's remains March 13 and the indictment less than a week ago of a suspect in her death.

The Condon family wanted the ceremony to help the community have closure.

Few events have coalesced this rural county an hour's drive south of Eugene like the saga of Stephanie Condon. The disappearance resonated with parents who did not know the Condons but had children close to the age of the 14-year-old, golden-haired girl, Joe Laurance, a Douglas County commissioner, told the audience.

Condon vanished the night of Oct. 30, 1998 as she baby-sat her cousin's 2-year-old twins in Tri-City, a community five miles north of Riddle.

Marty Condon spliced humor into his emotional address Saturday.

One story he shared for the first time, something "not even Stephanie's mother knows about."

Stephanie was planning her wedding, Condon said. She had several details worked out. She was 13 at the time.

One scenario called for her parents to renew their vows during Stephanie's ceremony. Condon told his daughter he liked the idea.

But Stephanie, knowing this meant his father would need to ask his wife to remarry him, teasingly said, "But Dad! What if Mommy says no?"

The diverse audience included people who knew the family and those who did not, community leaders, "and a spectrum over a wide socioeconomic level," family friend Joe Perkins said.

Perkins got to know the family 10 years ago, when he was the lead detective on the case. He retired in 2005.

On Saturday, he wore a tiny lapel pin with Stephanie's photo, rimmed in yellow with a time-worn yellow ribbon. Christine Condon gave it to him in the first week of the case.

She also gave him a 5-by-7 photo of her daughter. Perkins kept the photo on his bedroom dresser.

"When I'd put on my tie in the morning it'd be a reminder of what I need to do today," he said.

He doesn't feel closure yet, saying that a conviction might help accomplish that.

Dale Wayne Hill, 39, was indicted Tuesday on three counts of aggravated murder. He refused extradition to Oregon at a hearing Friday in Nevada.

Marty Condon mentioned the circumstances of his daughter's disappearance, that she was babysitting 2-year-old girls.

"I truly believe she would have never left the babies voluntarily unless she was threatened," he said, an opinion investigators said they also believe. "She left to protect those babies."
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:958595282&start=7

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 07:55:48 AM »

Another court delay for Condon murder suspect

ROSEBURG, Ore. – A man accused of killing a Roseburg girl in 1998 may soon be back in Oregon to face charges.

Dale Wayne Hill, 39, was indicted by an Oregon grand jury on charges of aggravated murder, murder and kidnapping in the death of Stephanie Condon back in 1998.

He did not originally waive extradition from Yerington, Nevada in April, but a judge said Tuesday a hearing would be held for Hill to be sent back to Oregon June 15.

Hill was taken into custody in Reno, Nev. in March on unrelated charges of failing to register as a felon. He pleaded guilty to those charges and spent 20 days in jail. The day before he was set to be released he was indicted on the Condon murder charges. He remains in prison in Nevada.

Condon's remains were found on a remote logging road near Glide, Ore. in March. She was 14 when she vanished from a family member's home in Tri City while babysitting for family on Oct. 30, 1998.

Hill was 28 at the time Condon disappeared, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

The decade-old Condon case had gone cold until Friday, March 13, when a man exercising his dogs on a remote forest road in the Glide area spotted what appeared to be human skeletal remains and alerted the sheriff’s office.

The bones were about 40 miles away from the home where Stephanie was last seen babysitting.

Investigators spent over a week studying the remains and dental records of missing persons until the medical examiner positively identified the deceased as Stephanie Condon, according to Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin.

"This is certainly not what any of us was hoping for," said Stephanie Condon's father, Martin, after learning the news. "But after 10 years, it's an outcome we've been trying to prepare for. My family is doing pretty well. My family is doing well under the circumstances."

Investigators also said they recovered evidence from the site around Stephanie's remains, but they didn't indicate specifically how she died.

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/story/Another-court-delay-for-Condon-murder-suspect/b2imL6hMw0-u003MLUuz8Q.cspx?rss=191

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 04:32:05 PM »

Change of venue to be sought in Riddle case

June 02, 2010 01:26 pm
Attorneys for the man accused of killing 14-year-old Stephanie Condon plan to ask for the trial to be moved out of Douglas County.

Mark Sabitt, one of two attorneys representing Dale Wayne Hill, says the defense also plans to challenge the constitutionality of the death penalty.

Condon disappeared Oct. 30, 1998, while baby-sitting at a Tri City home.

The missing person case generated a lot of publicity in southwest Oregon before a hiker found the girl's remains near Glide last year.

Hill is believed to have been the last person to have seen Condon alive, but he maintains his innocence in her death.

A trial date has tentatively been set for February 2011.

http://www.mycentraloregon.com/news/state/ap/1191739/Change-of-venue-to-be-sought-in-Riddle-case.html

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 05:33:00 AM »

Jury selection begins in Ore. babysitter death
Associated Press
Posted on February 18, 2011 at 7:07 AM

snipped
More than 400 potential jurors were called for the case after a judge denied a defense request to move the trial out of Douglas County.

The trial is scheduled to begin the first week of March and last eight to 10 weeks.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/116413284.html

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.