March 28, 2024, 06:53:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: drug risks  (Read 3660 times)
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« on: December 17, 2006, 11:00:26 AM »

Justin saw a new pediatrician last week, who prescribed a multitude of drugs to treat the asthmatic bronchitis. One I did not have filled as it had hydrocodone in it. When the doc talked about a cough suppressant, I told him that I was of the impression that this was not ideal with asthma. He stated that the suppressive quality was not sufficient to be risky, and would help Justin sleep (cough waking him). He wrote the damn thing, but as I wrote above, I did not have it filled. Both the suppressant and controlled substance aspects made that call for me. Filled another that I had yet to give him as I was suspicious of it. Did the research and yup, it has pseudoephedrine in it. Again, the potential impact on his cardiac system and his mood were factors in my decision. That one is going in the trash. While I was not thrilled to give Justin the prednisone that was prescribed, I knew that the benefit outweighed the risks (reducing the inflamation so he can breathe versus temporary mood instability).  far, there has been no impact on his mood. Jury is still out though, as when he completes the course of that drug, we may see some depression.

Point being that while I am not a physician, nor play one on television, I am an experienced mental health and addictions therapist, as well as a recovering alcoholic. This crap is nothing to play with. They are powerful drugs with potential risks that I see often in my practice.

Rant over.

LouiseVargas
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 08:24:54 PM »

Justins, I hope you are able to work out which meds are appropriate for your son.

Hope is everything. I see angels everywhere.
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 08:45:36 PM »

Quote from: "LouiseVargas"
Justins, I hope you are able to work out which meds are appropriate for your son.

Well, I'm lucky as he has a psychiatrist also, who sees these things, too. And the school nurse.

Sam
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 09:49:09 PM »

Justinsmama, I am glad you allowed Justin to have the prednizone. In his case I think the benefits outweigh the risk.I think Prednizone is one of those miracle drugs when used right.

I can certainly understand your reluctance on a drug with codeine in it at his young age or one with ephedrine.. JMHO

I hope he is better soon.
Sam

Just a swinging with the tribe
justinsmama
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 10:11:50 PM »

Justin is improving. The cough is nearly gone and his airways seem to be fully open and able to expel what little congestion is left. His temp remained slightly elevated over the weekend, but that seems to have been resolved, too. No more runny nose or sinus headache, either.

I would imagine that some folks, upon reading this, were horrified that I did not give Justin all of the medications that were prescribed. I know I would have been, reading such a thing over someone's psych meds!

cubbeegirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 10:22:16 PM »

Justins, I have been there and done that with my asthmatic , allergic kid , so I do not blame you at all as I have done the same thing myself. My son also has severe acid reflux due to a haital hernia which makes it very, very difficult for him to take the prednisone when it is prescribed.... I understand completely and sympathize with you. We have had so much trouble with doctors prescribing stuff that makes him worse that we now travel an hour and a half to the pediatrician who is wonderful with him and two hours to the pediatric gastro.... hang in there chicky!!!

"Natalee deserves to return to her country...."
    ~ Beth Holloway Twitty ~

Fly free with the angels KK!

We will never forget you sweet Caylee!
Cat
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 05:19:08 PM »

My thoughts and prayers are with Justin and his loving family.Cat

Live with hope,looking for justice
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.