March 28, 2024, 05:32:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mom of 7 accused of forcing her children to help torture animals-Selden NY  (Read 5564 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« on: November 12, 2009, 07:09:35 PM »

Mom ran pet ‘concentration camp,’ son says
Mother of seven accused of forcing her children to help torture animals

SELDEN, New York - A mother of seven is accused of running a house of horrors for pets at her suburban home, forcing her children to help torture them and burying at least 20 dogs in her backyard — animals neighbors now fear were beloved pets that mysteriously disappeared over the years.

Sharon McDonough pleaded not guilty last week to six counts of misdemeanor animal cruelty on suspicion of abusing five dogs and a cat found crammed into cages, covered in feces and urine, their coats matted with filth. A judge has taken away custody of the 43-year-old woman's six young daughters.

McDonough's neighbors began fearing their missing pets met a worse fate than the abused animals after her son led officials to a backyard filled with the shallow graves of 20 dogs.

Douglas McDonough, 21, who turned his mother in to authorities on Nov. 5, called the home "a concentration camp for the animals" in comments to reporters after the arrest.

"She would have the oldest kids hold down the dog while we duct-taped his mouth and she would hit him," he said, adding that he and his sisters were all forced to take part in the abuse.

On Tuesday, a judge removed the six girls — ages 18 months to 13 years — from the custody of McDonough, who is widowed. Her court-appointed attorney, James D'Angelo, called the animal cruelty counts a "low-level offense."

"She's not charged with killing animals and is entitled to a presumption of innocence," he said. No one answered the door at McDonough's home this week.

Dozens of people have called the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals since the case broke, fearing their missing pets had been victimized, Suffolk County SPCA Chief Roy Gross said.

"My daughter is still crying every day over her lost Chihuahua," said neighbor Sharyn Padula of the family's dog Bally, who disappeared just over a year ago. Two cats, Annabelle and Sylvester, also went missing. "I really hope they don't find my pets there."

McDonough's two-story red brick house sits on a middle-class block of closely placed, well-kept homes in a New York City suburb buffered by manicured lawns and festooned with holiday decorations — except for McDonough's, an unkempt structure with peeling paint, surrounded by fallen, matted leaves.

Since the dog carcasses were found, vandals have spray-painted "killer" on the garage and "guilty" on McDonough's mailbox. Rotten eggs were splattered on the house and on a vehicle parked outside.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33895944/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

Officers from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals unearth animal remains in the backyard of Sharon McDonough's Selden, N.Y. home, on Nov. 7. Authorities are trying to determine whether any of the 20 dead dogs found buried in a New York woman's backyard might have been pets stolen from neighbors.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:11:30 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:32:35 AM »

I have put this story in this thread because she has 7 children living in the home......

Nov 9, 2009 5:07 pm
Mom Accused Of 'Concentration Camp' For Dogs
Police Make Horrific Discovery In Sharon McDonough's Backyard After Tip To Rescue Group; Bags Taken Out 'By The Dozen

SELDEN, N.Y. ―  It looked like a scene straight out of a scary movie on Long Island as authorities uncovered a mass burial site for animals in a woman's backyard.

Now, the Selden mother is charged with animal cruelty, and that appears to be just the beginning.

Sharon McDonough, 43, started the day cuffed and collared following a nightmare discovery at her home, reports CBS station WCBS-TV in  New York City.

"It gives me the shivers," one neighbor said. "That's all I can say."

In an eerie scene Saturday night, investigators found a backyard burial ground, with the remains of at least 20 animals, behind McDonough's house. The remains were brought out in black plastic bags.

"This is one of the worst cases of animal abuse I have seen in the last 25 years I have been doing this," Chief Roy Gross, of the Suffolk County SPCA, said.

The gruesome revelation has left many in the neighborhood shaken.

"It looked like a real murder scene, as if they were gonna pull out dead bodies out there," neighbor Andrea Martinez said. "The smell was unbearable. They were taking bags out by the dozen. It was crazy."

It all started Thursday, when a local rescue group contacted police about conditions at the house. When authorities arrived, they knew something was amiss.

"We recovered at that time five dogs that were crammed in small cages, that appeared to be in danger, that were removed," Chief Gross said.

That kicked off an investigation that eventually led to the backyard. Now, investigators are looking into complaints about animals disappearing from the neighborhood, and allegations that McDonough tortured, killed, and buried them behind her house.

"It's really shocking, just unbelievable," said neighbor Greg Crecco.

One family says their dog and two cats have been missing, and they fear that the pets may be part of the terrible discovery.

"I'm really concerned about that – that everyone lose animals and they're just buried in the backyard," said neighbor Nicholas Dinubila.

Complicating matters, authorities say McDonough had seven children who lived with her in the house.

So far, McDonough is only facing misdemeanor animal cruelty charges for the dogs found inside her home on Thursday.

She's free from jail Sunday night after pleading not guilty, but authorities say she could face more serious charges after investigators determine how the animals buried in the backyard died.

"It was a concentration camp for the animals," the suspect's son, Douglas McDonough, said. "My sisters and me, we got the end of it, too."

Investigators tell WCBS the eldest son was the one who tipped off the rescue group to conditions at the home.

Meawhile, the live animals recovered from McDonough's home, including several dogs and a cat, are doing fine. They are currently up for adoption at the Suffolk County SPCA.
http://wbztv.com/watercooler/pet.concentration.camp.2.1301740.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 07:33:49 AM »

Sharon McDonough, 43, is charged with animal cruelty after investigators found a backyard burial ground, with the remains of at least 20 animals, behind her home.
CBS

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »

A low level offense? Honestly how do these lawyers get up there and say these things?

Speechless...poor little animals, didn't have a chance against such a monster! WTH???
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.