March 18, 2024, 09:22:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shaniya Nicole Davis #2 11/17/09 -  (Read 711817 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1900 on: September 28, 2010, 05:41:58 PM »

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8333219/
Posted: September 22

Cumberland DA wants deeper probe of DSS in girl's death
Fayetteville, N.C. — Cumberland County District Attorney Ed Grannis said Wednesday that he's dissatisfied with a state investigation into the county's social services department after a 5-year-old girl was kidnapped, raped and killed last year.

"I do not feel that the crucial issues involved in this investigation have been sufficiently answered," Grannis said in a letter to the State Bureau of Investigation. "I am, therefore, requesting the assistance of the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office to assist me in resolving remaining questions which I have concerning the Cumberland County Department of Social Services."

Grannis and Fayetteville Police Chief Tom Bergamine requested the SBI investigation last December after questions were raised about the county’s contact with the family of Shaniya Davis before her disappearance. The SBI turned its findings over to Grannis last Friday.

Shaniya was reported missing from her Fayetteville home on Nov. 10. Her body was found in a patch of kudzu off a rural road near the Lee-Harnett County line six days later.

An autopsy determined that she died of asphyxiation and that injuries she suffered were consistent with a sexual assault. A medical examiner noted in the autopsy that investigators believe the girl was used to pay off a drug debt.

Mario Andrette McNeill, 29, of 2613 Pine Springs Drive, has been charged with first-degree murder, first-degree rape of a child and first-degree kidnapping in the case. Police have characterized him as a family acquaintance.

Shaniya's mother, Antoinette Nicole Davis, 25, has been charged with human trafficking, felony child abuse–prostitution, filing a false police report and obstructing a police investigation. Arrest warrants state that Davis "did knowingly provide Shaniya with the intent that she be held in sexual servitude" and "did permit an act of prostitution with Shaniya."

The Cumberland County Department of Social Services previously looked at Davis with regard to her 7-year-old son, not Shaniya, according to her uncle, Michael Davis. The case was closed, and Antoinette Davis was able to retain custody of the boy, her uncle said.

Grannis and Bergamine expressed concerns that DSS case workers were withholding information in the case.

DSS Director Brenda Jackson has previously declined to comment on the agency's involvement with the family, citing the investigation into the death and confidentiality rules for child welfare cases.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1901 on: September 28, 2010, 10:33:28 PM »

this case really really bothers me a bunch..can not believe what happened to this baby...and with her own mother a part of it...

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1902 on: September 29, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/8369102/
Posted: 10:54 a.m. today
Cumberland DA to discuss DSS conduct in probe of girl's death
Fayetteville, N.C. — Cumberland County District Attorney Ed Grannis will hold a news conference Thursday to address the conduct of the county's social services department in the investigation of the death of Shaniya Davis last year.

The 5-year-old girl was reported missing from her Fayetteville home on Nov. 10. Her body was found in a patch of kudzu off a rural road near the Lee-Harnett County line six days later.

An autopsy determined that she died of asphyxiation and that injuries she suffered were consistent with a sexual assault. A medical examiner noted in the autopsy that investigators believe the girl was used to pay off a drug debt.

Mario Andrette McNeill, 29, of 2613 Pine Springs Drive, has been charged with first-degree murder, first-degree rape of a child and first-degree kidnapping in the case. Police have characterized him as a family acquaintance.

Shaniya's mother, Antoinette Nicole Davis, 25, has been charged with human trafficking, felony child abuse–prostitution, filing a false police report and obstructing a police investigation. Arrest warrants state that Davis "did knowingly provide Shaniya with the intent that she be held in sexual servitude" and "did permit an act of prostitution with Shaniya."

The Cumberland County Department of Social Services previously looked at Davis with regard to her 7-year-old son, not Shaniya, according to her uncle, Michael Davis. The case was closed, and Antoinette Davis was able to retain custody of the boy, her uncle said.

Grannis and Bergamine expressed concerns that DSS case workers were withholding information during the investigation of Shaniya's death, and they asked for a state investigation.

Last week, Grannis said he wanted Cumberland County deputies to look into DSS' actions, saying the state investigation left questions unanswered.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Terri
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1903 on: September 29, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/8369102/
Posted: 10:54 a.m. today
Cumberland DA to discuss DSS conduct in probe of girl's death
Fayetteville, N.C. — Cumberland County District Attorney Ed Grannis will hold a news conference Thursday to address the conduct of the county's social services department in the investigation of the death of Shaniya Davis last year.

The 5-year-old girl was reported missing from her Fayetteville home on Nov. 10. Her body was found in a patch of kudzu off a rural road near the Lee-Harnett County line six days later.

Grannis and Bergamine expressed concerns that DSS case workers were withholding information during the investigation of Shaniya's death, and they asked for a state investigation.

Last week, Grannis said he wanted Cumberland County deputies to look into DSS' actions, saying the state investigation left questions unanswered.

This I do not understand.  During a situation like this, all agencies work together.  When a court orders disclosure, wouldn't the CPS immediately begin copying all records for the court?  Admittedly people are going to try to CYA but that is done in meetings, etc.  Paperwork is generally turned over and the worker and the supervisor are left to take the fall, not the agency.  There would be no reason to withhold anything as the agency always has scapegoats.

MOO.

Terri
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1904 on: September 30, 2010, 11:22:18 AM »

HEre is another link w/ conference info to follow up on.....
http://charlotte.news14.com/content/local_news/sandhills/630955/news-conference-to-be-held-on-shaniya-davis-case

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1905 on: September 30, 2010, 02:57:11 PM »

The look the officer is giving her expresses my sentiments precisely.
 Mad

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1906 on: September 30, 2010, 06:50:18 PM »

http://charlotte.news14.com/content/local_news/sandhills/630955/news-conference-to-be-held-on-shaniya-davis-case

DSS not to face any charges . . . for the love of all that is good . . . when we will require folks be responsible for their actions.
DSS deleted e-mails, etc. so "the media" couldn't get them.  Give me a break!!!
So now LE doesn't trust them anymore . . . and that helps exactly how in this case???

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1907 on: September 30, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »

Shaniya, I am so sorry people care more about covering their butts then brining justice to your terrible death.
We won't forget!

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1908 on: September 30, 2010, 09:10:04 PM »

Shaniya, I am so sorry people care more about covering their butts then brining justice to your terrible death.
We won't forget!

an angelic monkey

Terri
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1909 on: September 30, 2010, 11:20:14 PM »

I am very very confused.  If LE cannot trust DDS to give all info, why is DDS allowed to continue unabated?  Again, I only have my agency experience but honestly, we were called in ASAP if there were a media case...every note, every conversation was analyzed.  We had a saying, "if it isn't documented, it did not happen" i.e.  do not say had a phone call with someone and said A, B, and C.  If it was not documented within 24 hours of the event, it is your word against yours.  And if you did not document every detail, then the agency could not adequately defend you.  In other words, do your work do it right, and document it well. 

If LE and the court cannot trust the agency, then why does it exist?  Wouldn't a complete overhaul be mandatory? 

I can honestly say this....the old school social workers were more detailed and "on it" when it came to child safety.  The newer supervisors, workers, etc. have differnt views.  I know one view was sometimes you go into a home looking all around, and sometimes you go in with tunnel vision. You investigate the actual allegation, rather than the entire family and risks factors.  In other words, if you are there to investigate abuse, do not look for neglect issues..you are just making more work for yourself.  I used to say I had to check my morals at the door in order to support my family....I no longer work there and cannot imagine ever going back.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1910 on: October 01, 2010, 08:19:09 AM »

I am very very confused.  If LE cannot trust DDS to give all info, why is DDS allowed to continue unabated?  Again, I only have my agency experience but honestly, we were called in ASAP if there were a media case...every note, every conversation was analyzed.  We had a saying, "if it isn't documented, it did not happen" i.e.  do not say had a phone call with someone and said A, B, and C.  If it was not documented within 24 hours of the event, it is your word against yours.  And if you did not document every detail, then the agency could not adequately defend you.  In other words, do your work do it right, and document it well. 

If LE and the court cannot trust the agency, then why does it exist?  Wouldn't a complete overhaul be mandatory? 

I can honestly say this....the old school social workers were more detailed and "on it" when it came to child safety.  The newer supervisors, workers, etc. have differnt views.  I know one view was sometimes you go into a home looking all around, and sometimes you go in with tunnel vision. You investigate the actual allegation, rather than the entire family and risks factors.  In other words, if you are there to investigate abuse, do not look for neglect issues..you are just making more work for yourself.  I used to say I had to check my morals at the door in order to support my family....I no longer work there and cannot imagine ever going back.

agreed!

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1911 on: October 01, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »

Terri, I agree with you so much . . . what courage to stand up for what is right and not merely what is done, i.e. tunnel vision.
O/T Cookie, you are looking good!

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1912 on: October 03, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »

thanks Sis!

AmandaReckonwith
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1913 on: October 09, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »

ADDED TODAY: Section for the alleged DSS failures in the Shaniya Davis case.
It is all contained on Page 1. I don't know what to think, but what a load.
Who DIDN'T fail Shaniya?

The Shaniya Davis archive album:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Shaniya%20Davis%20%20-NC-/

Saved pictures and vids from lots of cases:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1914 on: October 09, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »

thanks Amanda...

Terri
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1915 on: October 26, 2010, 05:57:17 PM »

Shaniya,

Thinking of you often but glad you are resting safe.
Terri

I pray Shaniya is at peace and snuggling with the angels.  I pray she is so happy she does not care about the earthly justice that so many of us crave. 

Terri
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1916 on: November 07, 2010, 05:47:11 AM »

By Nancy McCleary and Francis X. Gilpin
Staff writers
Published: 01:00 AM, Sun Nov 07, 2010   

One year later:
Will there be justice for Shaniya?

Five-year-old Shaniya Davis had barely begun to live when she was raped and strangled and her body dumped on the side of a road near the Harnett-Lee county line in November 2009.

But the ramifications of her horrific death continue to reverberate in the community and in the agencies that investigated her case.

A year later, the fallout continues.

Cumberland County's Department of Social Services, accused of not cooperating with police in the tension-filled days immediately after Shaniya's disappearance, was the subject of an investigation sought by District Attorney Ed Grannis.

The investigation came to a close in September, and Grannis has decided not to prosecute DSS officials on charges of obstruction of justice.

But the circumstances surrounding Shaniya's death have led to the resignation of Chet Oehme, chairman of the Social Services Board, and continue to shine a spotlight on Social Services Director Brenda Reid Jackson, who has been at the center of a firestorm of criticism.

Cumberland County commissioners are now considering replacing Oehme with one of their own in an effort to provide better oversight.

A year after Shaniya's death, one big question remains: Can Social Services, Fayetteville police, the Board of Commissioners and the District Attorney's Office put aside their differences and work together?

At 6:53 a.m. on Nov. 10, Antoniette Davis called Fayetteville police to say her daughter, Shaniya, was missing from her home in Sleepy Hollow Mobile Home Park.

An Amber Alert went out just after noon for Shaniya, who had last been seen wearing a blue sleep shirt and pink panties.

Davis and her 7-year-old son spent that afternoon at the police station, answering investigators' questions.

Two days later, police released surveillance video, taken the morning Shaniya was reported missing, showing a man holding her in his arms in front of an elevator at a Sanford hotel. The video was time-stamped 6:11 a.m.

The man in the video was identified as Mario Andrette McNeill, who turned himself in to police Nov. 13 and was charged with kidnapping.

The next day, Shaniya's mother was charged with human trafficking and prostituting her child, filing a false police report and obstructing justice.

The search continued for Shaniya as law enforcement and dozens of volunteers combed the woods and swamps in the area of southern Lee and northern Harnett counties.

The search ended about 1 p.m. Nov. 16, when Shaniya's body was found among the thick kudzu vines that covered woods off N.C. 87 near Carolina Trace.

On Nov. 20, McNeill was charged with raping and murdering Shaniya.

Shaniya was buried in Fayetteville Memorial Cemetery on Nov. 22 after a funeral attended by nearly 2,000 people.

By then, the case had become a national story on television news channels. That's how NBA star Shaquille O'Neal learned of Shaniya's death. He paid for her funeral.

A week after Shaniya's abduction, Social Services Director Brenda Reid Jackson met with homicide investigators at the District Attorney's Office to review what her department knew about Antoniette Davis and her children.

The exact nature of the department's relationship with Davis' family still isn't known. Jackson has used state privacy statutes to keep records of the case out of public view.

But one of Shaniya's uncles, Michael Davis, told reporters that, before Shaniya's death, the DSS investigated her mother concerning her 7-year-old son.

Shortly after Shaniya died, the co-chairman of a state task force on child fatalities said a team would be sent to Fayetteville to find out when the DSS first made contact with the family, the status of that case at the time of the killing, and whether proper procedures were followed.

Last week, almost a year later, a spokesman for the state task force said no date has been set for the beginning of that review.

Little else about how Social Services handled the case had become public, either, until Grannis held a rare news conference in September.

During the conference, Grannis said police repeatedly had to go to court to force Jackson to give up DSS records that he said eventually proved useful to the murder investigation.

Even with the court orders, Grannis said, the DSS held back records.

The first indication of that came within a day of Shaniya's disappearance.

A police detective was told by a DSS employee dealing with Shaniya's brother that "law enforcement is not getting everything, that they are not being told everything and that there is more to this," Grannis said at his news conference.

After police figured out that an initial batch of records was incomplete and the county supplied a second batch, a DSS employee told a detective that she was being forced to delete all e-mails related to Shaniya's case, Grannis said.

Grannis decided not to prosecute DSS officials for obstructing justice because, he said, the e-mails weren't destroyed but printed out and slipped into case files before they were deleted.

That maneuver, Grannis said, was motivated by Jackson's desire to keep the e-mails away from reporters, who might obtain them under the state public records law. Everything in DSS case files usually is considered a state secret.

Fayetteville Police Chief Tom Bergamine brought the DSS foot-dragging to the attention of Grannis.

In December, Grannis requested that the SBI look into the county's cooperation with the murder investigation.

The SBI investigation cast a shadow over the DSS for months.

Jackson wrote Grannis in March, seeking an update on what the SBI had found. When Grannis ignored the letter, the county Social Services Board sent another one in August.

Jackson, who had been briefed on the SBI's preliminary results by a bureau agent, believed the DSS would be cleared.

Grannis finally responded to the DSS letters in September.

Instead of exonerating the DSS, however, Grannis told Oehme, then the Social Services Board chairman, that he was dissatisfied with the SBI report. Grannis asked Sheriff Moose Butler to take a second look at the report.

Butler's internal-affairs investigators spent less than two weeks on the case.

On Sept. 30, Grannis called his news conference at Butler's office.

"To say we were not happy with the quality of the SBI report would be an understatement," Grannis told reporters. "In my 40 years, I've never seen anything from the SBI that bothered me this much."

Grannis, who is retiring at the end of the year, recounted how an SBI agent told his aides that Jackson said a Fayetteville police officer attempted to break into the DSS building on Ramsey Street. She later changed that account, saying a newspaper reporter had tried to break in, Grannis said.

The district attorney was skeptical. The Social Services Board later issued a statement in which Jackson "unequivocally" denied saying any such thing. "This incident never occurred," the statement read.

On Oct. 8, the board called Jackson in for a closed-door chat. Emerging from the private meeting, the board issued a statement of support for Jackson. It noted she now is meeting regularly with Bergamine, the police chief.

A few days after the board's statement, Oehme submitted his resignation, effective immediately.

Last week, Oehme said he wasn't interested in talking about Shaniya's case in any depth.

"I feel that Social Services did what they were supposed to do," Oehme said. "And we're just waiting for the outcome of the perpetrator and the mother."

Shaniya's father, Bradley Wayne Lockhart, still is angry at how DSS handled the investigation.

"I'm angry with DSS for withholding information that could have prevented all this," Lockhart said in a telephone interview from Georgia, where he now lives.

Lockhart said no one from DSS contacted him after police searched Davis' home in July and found drugs.

"Why couldn't they call me and tell me they had raided the house and she (Davis) was under investigation?" Lockhart said.

He said he also was upset that Oehme referred to him as a "deadbeat" in his October resignation letter.

But Lockhart said he isn't dwelling on his anger. Instead, he's trying to channel it into something positive.

"We can spend most of our time finding fault and pointing fingers, but unless we find the root cause and change it, we won't fix the problem," he said.

Asked if DSS could have done more to prevent Shaniya's death, Grannis replied: "I don't think you can say that."

He drew a parallel with the 2009 murder of Eve Carson, the UNC student-body president who was slain during a robbery in 2008. One of the men accused in Carson's death was on parole at the time.

"I think DSS has a monumental task trying to deal with a lot of broken situations," Grannis said. "They certainly don't fix them all, and I don't think the rest of us can."

A year after Shaniya's death, her mother and McNeill have yet to be indicted.

Antoniette Davis remains out of jail on $51,000 bail.

Davis was pregnant when she was arrested. She has since given birth, and the child has been put in foster care, a source close to the family said.

McNeill is being held at Central Prison in Raleigh for safekeeping until his trial. No date has been set.

Grannis said the case is in good hands, with a trio of proven deputy assistants to handle the prosecution.

Bergamine would not speak about Shaniya's case or the department's relationship with Social Services. But he did issue a statement through department spokesman Dan Grubb.

"Unfortunately," the statement read, "Police Department personnel cannot comment regarding an ongoing investigation, but we trust and expect that the Fayetteville Police Department and the Department of Social Services will work together in a professional manner as need arises without regard to any individual case."

In an e-mail last week, Jackson said DSS and police lawyers have begun to work together on court orders for records.

She added: "We continue to extend heartfelt sympathy to the family of Shaniya Davis and our community which was affected by this tragedy."

Shaniya's father has started Shaniya Speaks, a nonprofit group that works to raise awareness of sexual crimes against children.

The group's name represents what Lockhart said he is trying to be: his daughter's voice.

He plans to attend a memorial service, sponsored by the organization, on Nov. 16 in the parking lot of the Family Dollar store on Murchison Road.

Grannis said he hopes the case serves as a lesson about cooperation between agencies in any investigation involving a child.

"I think we saw in this case how important that can be," Grannis said. "You would like to think that with everything that occurred in this child's case, there will be more of an effort in that regard."

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/11/07/1045231?sac=Home

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1917 on: November 13, 2010, 06:42:51 AM »

http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2010/11/12/1047522?sac=Home
Published: 05:56 PM, Fri Nov 12, 2010
Memorial service planned for slain 5-year-old Shaniya Davis
A memorial service to mark a year since Shaniya Davis' death is scheduled Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.

The service will be held in the Freedom International Ministries parking lot off Murchison Road.

Shaniya's mother, Antoinette Davis, reported at 6:53 a.m. Nov. 10, 2009, that her 5-year-old daughter was missing.

Two days later, surveillance video from a camera at Sanford motel showed a man in front of an elevator there holding Shaniya in his arms.

On Nov. 15, 2009, Shaniya's body was found in woods off N.C. 87 near Carolina Trace. She had been raped and strangled.

Mario Andrette McNeil , the man in the video, was charged with kidnapping and murder and Davis was charged with human trafficking and prostituting her child.
Both are awaiting trial.

The memorial service will feature speakers, including Shaniya's father, Bradley Lockhart, according to Joe McGee, director of Giving Opportunities Through Dedication and Devotion (GOTDAD) Inc., a Fayetteville nonprofit that is sponsoring the event.

Freedom International Ministries is in the Pamalee Plaza shopping center

~ Peter Frampton
Terri
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #1918 on: November 15, 2010, 10:39:47 AM »

Thank you Nut and Trimm....this case hangs on me like no other.

IMOO   How in the world is that mother allowed to walk among society?  How does that B...  live with herself?  I would think the general public would have such anger and animousity towards that woman she would not be safe.  Years ago I lived in a place where people sometimes got drunk and run off the side of the road.  Not saying it is right, just that is one part of human nature...

I'm sorry and if this post is too ugly then I understand if it needs to be removed.

Terri
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1919 on: November 15, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »

No need to remove it. I feel the same way, as do so many here.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.