March 19, 2024, 01:21:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whiskey Girl...... Barrett vs Walker????  (Read 2546 times)
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« on: November 17, 2009, 07:40:23 AM »

I know this one doesn't interest many others except us.   Both are from the "State of Milwaukee."  When you are in my part of the state that is scary.  When you take a northern poll you find people not to happy with all the money being funneled into Milwaukee projects with very poor outcomes.  As an educator, I can not even support the results that has been achieved in that area.

Walker seems very arrogant from what I read and view.  Barrett has some issues even though I would tend to lean that way right now.

Isn't there anyone popular in this state equally or more qualified????

"May you have the hindsight to know where you've been,
 the foresight to know where you're going and
 the insight to know when you've gone too far."
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »

I can't think of any name that comes up as equally or more qualified.  Is it a race based on name recognition or qualifications?

Aren't their any politicians that have a good track record of success?

Milwaukee Public Schools has one of the worst achievement gaps between white and minority students in the nation; President Barack Obama himself said so in Madison on Nov. 4. MPS's dropout rate has improved but still badly trails the statewide average. Widespread poverty clogs the gears of learning.

There are many reasons why MPS is critically important to everyone in Wisconsin. MPS's 85,381 students make up about 23 percent of all public-school students statewide, for example. And, state support for MPS totaled $752 million last year -- an amount almost equal to 1 cent of the 5-cent state sales tax.

Let's put that another way: Wisconsin sales tax collections totaled $4.13 billion last year, and 18 percent of that went directly to MPS.

I spend more time talking about the failure of Milwaukee poltics over the past thirty years with people who are older and remember the good things about the system.  I'm sure there were bad things, but there was a time when the community made local schools work.

Milwaukee used to be a wonderful place, full of well kept parks, schools, programs, businesses, and jobs.  Something happened along the way.  The businesses moved away and took the jobs with them.

My mother's family did not speak English when they entered school many years ago.  There was no bilingual education, they adapted quickly and most of them graduated from the eight grade.  Not everyone went on after that.  My mother went on to business school, her books were paid for by a teacher that felt she had a promising future.

MPS spent lots of money building local schools, and local people would not send their children, a waste of money.  New schools remained empty. 

People I know who taught in the inner city wonder why the suburban school districts look so good.  "It takes a village to raise a child."  Why is the village in Milwaukee dysfunctional?  For so many years, and it's getting worse?

Other good teachers don't want to take assignments that include feeding breakfast to children - they want to teach, not dispense meals and clean up breakfast dishes.  All that eating takes away from the teaching portion of the day.

More and more resources go into schools, and the problems just seem to get worse.

What happened to parental responsibility?  Why aren't parents feeding their children before sending them to school?  In these times of high unemployment, there should be more parents at home in the morning.  IIRC, students still get hot lunch at school, and in some places they get snacks and dinner all provided by taxpayers.

What happened to parental responsibility?  I don't think the village of Wisconsin can make up for parents that don't care.  The system hasn't been working for some time, so they just keep sending more money.

More and more folks outside of the City of Milwaukee, but in Milwaukee County love their homes but hate that they are part of Milwaukee County. 

I've known many who loved life in Chicago until they had children, and boom...off to the suburbs they go to educate their children.  Some I know in Chicago love the city but send their children to private school.  For some reason the private schools have problem teachers too.

Raising taxes doesn't help if the money is wasted on programs or experiments that don't work.  I've known many who grew up in orphanages because their families could not take care of them.  There was no cycle and recycle of foster homes.  They grew up, had families of their own, and became responsible adults. 

Senate Republican Leader Scott Fitzgerald of Juneau has suggested another look at a plan to break MPS into smaller, more manageable districts. And Milwaukee Co. Executive Scott Walker, a GOP gubernatorial candidate, said he'd prefer that to mayoral control.

Maybe MPS is too big to be successful?  I think after years of observation, large school districts become machines that are only accountable to their unions.  They are no longer accountable to parents, taxpayers, and students.

What is the worst thing that would happen if MPS were broken up into self directed districts?  Maybe some districts would be successful and others would fail? 

http://www.wisopinion.com/index.iml?mdl=article.mdl&article=24661

Is partial success better than overall failure?

It seems today, the Juggernaut of government politicians would rather choose overall failure for everyone rather than success, failure, and all the levels in between.

It's the bell curve.  There are some at the very bottom, the very top, but the rest are in the curve.

I do believe all should strive for the top, but reality is that we fall somewhere in the curve.  Every child and human being has different gifts, and I do believe success should be measured by factors that include testing, but testing does not always lead to a promising career.

There is no temple of education that makes everyone score 100%, unless you use fuzzy math or feel good grading systems.

Years ago, Milwaukee had a thriving industrial base and a good education system.  There are examples from all over the state of school and municipal systems that work.

Should the failure that grips Milwaukee spread over the rest of the state?  That is scary stuff.

Isn't there someone in the state that has a good track record?  One that doesn't involve taxing and failure?

Isn't there someone with fresh ideas for the state that really work?

It seems like the whole state is being bankrupted by ideas and communities that don't work. 

What happened to patterning your future from ideas that work?

Maybe one measure of success is how much you pay in taxes in comparison to how well your school district does.  How much to educate a child?  I think there have to be districts that spend less than Milwaukee and do good on standardized tests.  I would imagine there are some wealthy districts that spend more and do ok to.  Would spending more money help Milwaukee students?  I don't think so.  Milwaukee County taxes are amazing. 

It has always amazed me that average people in other states could tax at 1/5 of what property taxes are in Wisconsin and still provide basic services, educate children, and maintain streets.  In Wisconsin, they  just keep raising taxes, and services fall behind.  Some, want more services and freebies. 

There is no money tree in Wisconsin.  Money has to come from somewhere.

I think a big piece that is missing is the desire by parents and residents to build good strong communities, communities that work.  You can spend good money on a new paint job, new tires, new seats, but if the engine is broke in your 30 year old car, it ain't gonna move on it's own.

I'll have to think some more on this.  Chicago isn't a model that works, and it seems like the nation as a whole is just moving toward bigger and bigger failure, and ignoring all the things that are good and working.

Bigger isn't better when it comes to government.  Sometimes, I believe things become too big to succeed.

jmho (wow didn't expect to go on like that)

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »

yes, that was quite a soap box... 

I guess while I have never agreed with most of MPS procedures and think they have created their own problems, I just know that their is too much voting power centralized in that part of the state.  There has always been a rift between WEAC and the AFT when it comes to Milwaukee.  They tend to play one against the other to gain funds or qualify for grants.  I guess with my being retired for so long, I don't follow it nor wish to any longer.

I am more concerned with the flow of tax dollars  funneling down hill in this state.  We do have a tremendous burden on taxing property.  That is a choice that was made for us years and years ago.  We wished to placate Illinois and Chicago so we choose not to put in toll roads.  It is no coincidence that it is easy travel moving north and south.  Until recently there were no decent roads for residents north of Milwaukee/Madison to travel east/west.  It still is not an easy way to travel. 

I know more about Barrett than Walker.  Barrett has his east coast connections I suspect.  There is some family connection to the Boston area.  I do not know that either would be good for our entire state.  The diversification of socio-economic conditions and employment related issues could very well take a back seat under either of them.  I will be interested in learning more of them since they are the two most likely candidates available upon election day.

Things could get lean up here if my predictions hold true.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 06:27:12 AM »

I don't think the State of Wisconsin has a new program that covers the whole state and it's harder for good candidates to get statewide press and recognition.

There isn't really a way to let everyone know what a good job other places are doing managing their schools and economy.

We do hear more about Milwaukee because it is large and has so many people.  Who in Milwaukee is accountable to the public?  Students?

In small towns, everyone knows who you are and where you live.  It's a lot harder (mo) to avoid people who disagree with you.  It's a lot harder to get on a jet and pretend you have business elsewhere.  Your bread and butter is all around you, and it's a lot harder to forget or run away.

There is no such accountability in the big city.  It's too easy to hop on a jet and pretend you have pressing business elsewhere.  It's too easy to use the media to dismiss the very people who put you into office.

In big cities, it's easier for the political elite to keep their distance from the little people.

Things aren't lean for some in the lower part of the state.  It's shocking to read in the paper that more are 'going' hungry, and then visit the grocery store.

I am still shocked everytime I see expensive groceries, groceries that are out of the reach of my family and many, being purchased with a Food Share (food stamps) card.  They keep raising these benefits, but people who pay out of pocket can't afford such expensive food.

Since we live in a digital age, I wonder if they ever check on the products purchased?

In the olden days (Great Depression), there was no Food Stamp program.  What little aid there was was direct - they gave you basics like flour, sugar, and beans.  These stories I know from my mother.  It was not an entitlement, it was a shameful thing to have to go looking for help.  There was no entitlement - you were free to look for a job.

Today, we spend more and more on Food Share, give kids three meals a day at school, public money duplicating benefits.  Those free lunches at school are contracted out and probably cost more than a Happy Meal. 

Milwaukee has streets that look like they're been through a war zone, taxes are high, and no one seems to know where the money goes, or have a tough plan to put things back on track.

The government units keep raising taxes to pay for all these programs.  It's harder and harder for people to make ends meet.

For some reason, they just don't understand that people who live $1 over their fancy Federal Povery Level 'FPL' schemes aren't rich.  Sure, we'll bankrupt the electric company, bankrupting those who pay for electric too.  Just because your income in $1 over their calculations, where are these folks going to get the thousands more that someone gets who lives $1 below the FPL calculation?

For some reason, there is no focus on making and keeping things affordable for everyone.  It's another government scam.

Why doesn't everyone pay the same fair price for goods and services?  Healthcare?  Electric?

Wisconsin has a great Social Democrat heritage.  It also HAD a great work ethic. 

At some point, balance was lost and it's all about entitlements and not about work.

No one can do everthing, everyone can do something.  In Wisconsin, the state would rather give you money and enourage businesses to stay and provide jobs. 

The jobs left for better environments and the nation and state is broke.

Lean times are here for all of us, the tsunami of debt hasn't killed us yet.

The tsunami is coming, and more spending by government can't hold it back.

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:22:59 PM »

In a recent Portfolio.com analysis of how all 50 states and the District of Columbia fared during the recession, Louisiana ranked second best with an overall economic index of 7.298. North Dakota was the only state that fared better than Louisiana with an overall economic index of 7.463. 

"Portfolio.com's analysis underscores what we have known for a long time - Louisiana's economy consistently has outperformed the South and the U.S. since the beginning of the national recession," said Gov. Bobby Jindal. "While we are pleased with this ranking, we will continue to aggressively pursue economic development efforts so that we can remain ahead of the South and the U.S., but more importantly, so that we can create more opportunity for our people."

http://www.louisianaweekly.com/news.php?viewStory=2028

I wonder where Wisconsin ranks?  Bottom?  Maybe a few notches above California, Michigan, & New York?

Isn't it amazing that Jindal is able to compete with other states?

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »

In a recent Portfolio.com analysis of how all 50 states and the District of Columbia fared during the recession, Louisiana ranked second best with an overall economic index of 7.298. North Dakota was the only state that fared better than Louisiana with an overall economic index of 7.463. 

"Portfolio.com's analysis underscores what we have known for a long time - Louisiana's economy consistently has outperformed the South and the U.S. since the beginning of the national recession," said Gov. Bobby Jindal. "While we are pleased with this ranking, we will continue to aggressively pursue economic development efforts so that we can remain ahead of the South and the U.S., but more importantly, so that we can create more opportunity for our people."

I wonder where Wisconsin ranks?  Bottom?  Maybe a few notches above California, Michigan, & New York?

Statistical data can be skewed pretty much any way an entity wants.  I think economically WI has always ranked near the middle of the pack.  We have a real lack of large cities that does affect statistical analysis.  During this economy recently we have had so many manipulative measures taken by business and industry.  The Fondy fiasco is just the latest.  Merc played one community against another to gain over the tip concessions through incentive and tax break packages.  Because of our small communities there is usually only one major industry holding together the individual economies of our small communities.  When you think that I live in the 5th largest community in the state and our population is less than 75,000 one industry pulling out can devastate most places in this state.  Travel above Highway 29 and there is virtually a starved economy.  North Dakota fares well because that was one of the first if not the first state to do away with its limitations on interest rates.  Many financial companies flocked to set up the home office their so they could gouge the American public with interest rates.  Now we have the same problem in all states, but without companies moving in.

It will never get better as long as one business can hold a single community hostage because they are not only the major employer, but control the gross product for that community.   I am not sure what needs to change, but with energy costs what they are, we do not offer a major attraction for a company from the south to move here.

Look at the trend in the paper industry.  Kimberly Clark is a prime example.  Founded in Kimberly WI and gradually moved to Atlanta years ago.  Now the company has divested itself of most of his Wisconsin production mills.  We still have a significant number of white collar employment in the Neenah area, but even that has been decreasing over the years.  If our state does not offer lucrative tax breaks for companies they do not come here and even worse they either threaten or actually do pull out.

The only way I can see our unemployment rate dropping back to low single digits is to reduce our population as people move from Wisconsin to the warmer states.  What does make Wisconsin still very attractive is the tourism and the fact that the cost of living here is much better than that of either the east or west coast. 

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:32:39 PM »

(snip)

Statistical data can be skewed pretty much any way an entity wants.  I think economically WI has always ranked near the middle of the pack.  We have a real lack of large cities that does affect statistical analysis.  During this economy recently we have had so many manipulative measures taken by business and industry.  The Fondy fiasco is just the latest.  Merc played one community against another to gain over the tip concessions through incentive and tax break packages.  Because of our small communities there is usually only one major industry holding together the individual economies of our small communities.  When you think that I live in the 5th largest community in the state and our population is less than 75,000 one industry pulling out can devastate most places in this state.  Travel above Highway 29 and there is virtually a starved economy.  North Dakota fares well because that was one of the first if not the first state to do away with its limitations on interest rates.  Many financial companies flocked to set up the home office their so they could gouge the American public with interest rates.  Now we have the same problem in all states, but without companies moving in.

It will never get better as long as one business can hold a single community hostage because they are not only the major employer, but control the gross product for that community.   I am not sure what needs to change, but with energy costs what they are, we do not offer a major attraction for a company from the south to move here.

Look at the trend in the paper industry.  Kimberly Clark is a prime example.  Founded in Kimberly WI and gradually moved to Atlanta years ago.  Now the company has divested itself of most of his Wisconsin production mills.  We still have a significant number of white collar employment in the Neenah area, but even that has been decreasing over the years.  If our state does not offer lucrative tax breaks for companies they do not come here and even worse they either threaten or actually do pull out.

The only way I can see our unemployment rate dropping back to low single digits is to reduce our population as people move from Wisconsin to the warmer states.  What does make Wisconsin still very attractive is the tourism and the fact that the cost of living here is much better than that of either the east or west coast. 

Big global companies play countries against countries.  They try to get the best deal with regard to tax breaks, wages, and protection from environmental stewardships.

I think the answer is buying local.  Why does anyone need to buy goods and services produced thousands of miles away?  At one time, Americans had local choices.  Today, there is no local option, or people don't know the local options that exist.

Why don't we have better local options?  Options that support communities, provide robust employment opportunities, and are cost effective.  Who has a job to buy anything?

GreatOwl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 08:34:13 PM »

my gosh!!!! I read through one of my previous posts and the grammar and spelling was atrocious.   

This whole argument of buying local is quite a mess.  We had an editorial on it a while back.  Because we depend so much on "Big Box Stores" their was quite a discussion on what exactly is local.  It came down to a few individuals who produced locally vs. the thousands employed by the chain stores.  Who or what do we encourage to put out of business.?  It is now a problem we face because we have invited in those businesses who can provide the triple digit employee positions.

Oshkosh no longer makes trucks for the state.  It makes them for the world.

We are taking from the poor and giving to the rich so to speak.  Property taxes are set up as a means to give incentive packages to business and industry.  The trouble is that everything is located in the bottom third to half of the state.

I really do not think we have had corrupt politicians, but from my memory back as far as Knowles through tiptoe Tommy to the current administration we have had difficulties with both parties.  I do not know if that will change.

Our social service programs are so good that we attract minorities.  Gang problems have spread northward in recent years.  It is not the state I grew up in.

WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 07:12:45 AM »

I think the US is a welfare magnet nation.  People come illegally, get so much for nothing and don't go home because they are on the gravy train.

No jobs for Americans.  Just higher and higher taxes.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.