March 29, 2024, 12:27:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stephen Spina-Murdered September 17,2007 Larchmont, NY  (Read 8072 times)
espresso
Scared Monkey

« on: November 19, 2009, 12:50:05 PM »

Postal Worker Slain In Apartment

Police in Mamaroneck, N.Y. are looking for information regarding the murder of beloved postal worker and father Stephen Spina, 36.

The killer stabbed Stephen to death in his apartment sometime between the hours of 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on Monday, September 17, 2007.

His girlfriend of more than two years, Tamara Acevedo, discovered Stephen’s body at 12:40 p.m. that same day.

Crime scene details suggest he may have known his assailant: there were no signs of forced entry, and the murder took place on Stephen’s day off, suggesting the killer knew his schedule.

Weeks earlier, Stephen found his car vandalized, with four tires slashed. Shortly after that, Tamara found her car windows shattered. Police did not comment on whether these acts are related to Stephen’s murder. 

Supporters held a candlelight vigil attended by hundreds of friends and family members, community residents, and Little League players.

Stephen leaves behind a daughter; his killer remains at large.

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=57396

http://www.larchmontgazette.com/2007/articles/20070920vomspina.html

(September 20, 2007) A candlelight vigil in Mamaroneck Village on Tuesday, September 18, drew scores of friends and family members still in shock at the death of Stephen J. Spina, 36, found stabbed and lifeless in his Mamaroneck Gardens apartment around 12:30 on Monday afternoon. A Mamaroneck native, Mr. Spina was a letter carrier with the Larchmont Post Office for 12 years and an umpire with the Larchmont Little League for a decade. According to friends, he arranged his weekend around the schedule of his daughter, Skyler, 12, who lives with her mother elsewhere in Mamaroneck.

Mr. Spina was taking his day off on Monday. Neighbors speculated he may have known his assailant because there were no signs of forced entry into his apartment at 300 Richbell Road, a block from Mamaroneck High School.

More at link above.

http://www.facebook.com/people/Stephen-Spina/1632518200#/group.php?gid=5107064406&ref=search&sid=658071937.148451719..1

$12,500 reward in Stephen Spina slaying case in MamaroneckShare
 Monday, September 28, 2009 at 4:51pm
$12,500 reward in Stephen Spina slaying case in Mamaroneck

By Shawn Cohen • spcohen@lohud.com • September 28, 2009

MAMARONECK - Now two years since Stephen Spina was found stabbed to death in his village apartment, authorities are hoping to spark their investigation by offering a $12,500 reward for information leading to the killer's arrest and conviction.

The reward, which includes $10,000 raised by the former Larchmont postal carrier's family and friends during a recent softball tournament, was announced today by New York State Crime Stoppers and Mamaroneck detectives.

"As the saying goes, ‘Money talks,' and our experience is that money has a way of opening the mouths of those who know the who, what and why of crimes such as this,"said Robert Keller, program director for Crime Stoppers. "New York State Crime Stoppers is convinced that there are people out there, who are not directly involved with this crime, and know who did it and why. We need those people to contact us."

Detective David Casterella shared no new details of the investigation and wouldn't identify any possible suspects. Asked about progress in the case, he said only that "we are moving in the right direction."

Reward fliers will be posted throughout the region, urging anyone with information to call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 866-313-TIPS. All callers may remain anonymous.

Spina, 36, who used to ump local youth baseball games, was stabbed multiple times in his apartment at 300 Richbell Road , sometime between 9 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 17, 2007. His girlfriend slept over in his apartment the previous night, left in the morning and reported finding his body when she returned at lunchtime.

"I have a message for the person or persons responsible for this senseless crime,"Keller said. "If I were you, I would be getting very worried right about now. The police are conducting a very active investigation and there is now up to a $12,500 reward being offered for information leading to your arrest and conviction."

I'm hoping there are some monkeys out there that might be able to dig up some info. My friend's family still has no answers and no one has been brought to justice for this horrible crime committed against Stephen. Thanks for anything you can do.

Cops say Stephen Spina, 36, was found stabbed to death in his apartment in Mamaroneck, New York on September 17, 2007. Killer is still at large. http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=57396 
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »

What a sad case.  He worked his schedule around his daughter Skyler and she lived with her mom.  Did the mom have any grudges with Stephen?  A new boyfriend that may have been jealous? 

Did Tamara have anyone that may have been jealous she was with Stephen?  Did all the vandalism happen at his apartment for both him and Tamara.

TYIA
Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:30:12 PM »

Do any of your friends have suspicions about who might have been involved? Is there a Cold Case Squad that works for your county or State? Also, a campaign to have AMW to cover it again might not hurt either.

Were drug ever suspected? Doesn't sound like it. Had he ever had trouble at work with a coworker, maybe getting a promotion over someone else? Were there any irate or irrational parents of the Little Leaguers? What was the relationship with his ex, or her relationships or family? Stabbing is a very personal way to kill someone, up close and personal. And a horrilbe way to die. My condolences to you all.  an angelic monkey

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
espresso
Scared Monkey

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:34:54 PM »

What a sad case.  He worked his schedule around his daughter Skyler and she lived with her mom.  Did the mom have any grudges with Stephen?  A new boyfriend that may have been jealous? 

Did Tamara have anyone that may have been jealous she was with Stephen?  Did all the vandalism happen at his apartment for both him and Tamara.

TYIA

Stephen and Skyler's mom had a very good relationship. He was totally devoted to his daughter.

His girlfriend was on again off again. She lawyered up very quickly and was pretty ugly to the family because of the lack of attention on her. She claims to have had a lunch date with Stephen and when he didn't show up she went to his apartment and convinced the super to let her in because there might be an emergency. I have talked about this with his sister and she and I both think it's weird. A girlfriend would call his cell phone repeatedly and get upset with each phone call that he's late for lunch. But the girlfriend went straight to the apt and asked to be let in?

Cops say Stephen Spina, 36, was found stabbed to death in his apartment in Mamaroneck, New York on September 17, 2007. Killer is still at large. http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=57396 
espresso
Scared Monkey

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »

Do any of your friends have suspicions about who might have been involved? Is there a Cold Case Squad that works for your county or State? Also, a campaign to have AMW to cover it again might not hurt either.

Were drug ever suspected? Doesn't sound like it. Had he ever had trouble at work with a coworker, maybe getting a promotion over someone else? Were there any irate or irrational parents of the Little Leaguers? What was the relationship with his ex, or her relationships or family? Stabbing is a very personal way to kill someone, up close and personal. And a horrilbe way to die. My condolences to you all.  an angelic monkey

Thankyou. As far as I know there is no cold case squad. This is a very small village town and basically we hardly have any kind of serious crime. Stephen got along with everybody. No drugs at all. Now the father  of Stephen has a very dubious past and doesn't have a stellar reputation. He's conned a lot of people out of money. But the police haven't made any connections to his dad that I know of. They also haven't been able to make any connections to the vandalism.  I definately think it was personal, I think his girlfriend knows a heck of a lot more than she's telling. I hope AMW repeats their broadcast of his case. Someone knows something.

Fanny Mae
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 08:47:24 PM »

Thankyou. As far as I know there is no cold case squad. This is a very small village town and basically we hardly have any kind of serious crime. Stephen got along with everybody. No drugs at all. Now the father  of Stephen has a very dubious past and doesn't have a stellar reputation. He's conned a lot of people out of money. But the police haven't made any connections to his dad that I know of. They also haven't been able to make any connections to the vandalism.  I definately think it was personal, I think his girlfriend knows a heck of a lot more than she's telling. I hope AMW repeats their broadcast of his case. Someone knows something.

Whatever happened to his girlfriend. Has she "moved on" or is she still grieving his death?

Jesus loves the little children, all the children in the world.
Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.

Words: C. Her­bert Wool­ston (1856-1927)  Music: George F. Root (1820-1895)
espresso
Scared Monkey

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:36:47 AM »

I'll ask my friend. I also have been wondering if the girlfriend showed up to the softball benefi they had to raise money for the reward fund. My friend (his sister) is a tough little thing and she has made it clear how she feels about the girlfriend so my guess is this girl would stay away as far as possible .

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »

Four years after Mamaroneck postal carrier's slaying, police have four 'persons of interest'http://www.lohud.com/article/20110918/NEWS02/109180351/Four-years-after-Mamaroneck-postal-carrier-s-slaying-police-four-persons-interest-

12:43 AM, Sep. 18, 2011
MAMARONECK — Slain postal carrier Stephen Spina's appetite for women was well known in the village.

With the four-year anniversary of the 36-year-old's death this weekend, police said three of the four "persons of interest" they have identified are women with whom he was intimate.
The other person is a local public works employee Spina had argued with a couple weeks before he was stabbed in his apartment at 300 Richbell Road.
 ::snipping2::
The tangled web of his past relationships has made the investigation that much more complex, as police have sought to identify individuals with a potential motive in the Sept. 17, 2007 killing.
Though the case remains unsolved, police said they're still pursuing fresh leads, includings tips from anonymous sources who point to one person or another. One came earlier this month, when The Journal News received a letter from someone who named a local woman and suggested that police question her in Spina's death.
 ::snipping2::
Police have only identified one by name: Tamara Acevedo, a girlfriend who slept over in his apartment and left the morning he was killed. She reporting finding his body when she returned at lunchtime.
Spina, who umpired local youth baseball games, had been stabbed multiple times. Police have offered few details about the killing, which occurred about a month after neighbors said Spina's car tires had been slashed and Acevedo's car window smashed.
A $30,000 reward is being offered for information leading to a conviction.  ::snipping2:: moreeeee

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.