April 18, 2024, 10:34:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #54 1/21/10 - 6/18/10  (Read 542939 times)
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1000 on: March 17, 2010, 01:08:53 AM »

Hey Guys, here's a pic of the little pink pup, her name is Dolly & she's adorable! Have a good evening all! 

Well Mercy!  All these puppies I have, and not a single pink one.  I am so jealous.

I was just looking for anything new about them!   

The Mama is weaning them and it is so sad.  They run behind her in a bunch, like a little flock of
sheep and just crying.  They are eating good.  They were all crying today and I just put 2 baked
chicken legs in the pen.  Stopped the crying real quick.  I went back in 30 minutes and the chicken
bones were clean and the pups were asleep.

The will of heaven be done in this and all things.
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1001 on: March 17, 2010, 08:29:23 AM »

Hey Guys, here's a pic of the little pink pup, her name is Dolly & she's adorable! Have a good evening all! 

Well Mercy!  All these puppies I have, and not a single pink one.  I am so jealous.

The Mama is weaning them and it is so sad.  They run behind her in a bunch, like a little flock of
sheep and just crying.  They are eating good.  They were all crying today and I just put 2 baked
chicken legs in the pen.  Stopped the crying real quick.  I went back in 30 minutes and the chicken

Those puppies are all adorable, my granddaughters would be sleeping in the pen with them! 

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1002 on: March 17, 2010, 02:09:33 PM »

As I haven't chatted much outside of a thread, I need to ask Muffy what happened to the gratefulness candle for my sister Connie and I'm not understanding why a "link?" was added.  Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place.
If my request for a gratefulness candle thread is out of place, just delete the damn thing!

Sister, I'm not Muffy, but your sisters' thread is still there, just on page 2. As new threads get added, older ones get pushed to the next page. We are having trouble keeping Natalee's thread on page one.
The link was added to all the candle threads, it takes you to the original story or thread. If that makes sense.

FOR SISTER:
I have removed the link in question and I apologize if I've hurt you in any way.  It had been requested some time ago by some monkeys to please add links to the candle threads, exactly for the reason SuzieQ stated.  I was in Connie's thread this morning to light a candle for her, and realized there was no link back for her.  We have posters and guests that come to the gratefulness candles and I thought to link back to the prayer thread for Connie  because you have updated us in the past how she was doing with her recovery.  This seems to have angered you, and again, I apologize.  I meant well.  I didn't move the thread, as you can see:

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=5692.0

I don't really understand your last statement in your post, Sister.   All you had to do was ask if you had question and not make accusations and attacking me.   I have never shown harshness to you and I don't understand your anger toward me and the very mean spirited way you have spoken to me.  If you could see the link I did back to the prayer thread in Connie's gratefulness candle thread, then you could have seen her gratefulness candles, which are the first thing there. They didn't go anywhere anytime.     Why would you think I removed Connie's candles?  It's not making sense to me.  All I did was add a link back to the prayer thread in a gesture of kindness, which I have since removed.  No one here would deny a gratefulness candle request for you or anyone.  Again, I will apologize for any sorrow or pain you may have suffered.  The gratefulness candles  MuffyBee

MuffyBee, I know you didn't remove Connie's candle, it just got a new name which I didn't and still don't understand -- it was conni and now it is conn -- I am not sure how that happened.
I appreciate all you have done for those whose candles are being lit by others, I have been lighting candles for folks since I have been a member here.  Additionally, I have no problem with Connie being on page 2, everyone can't be on page one (and Paul Harvey always used page 2 as the best to come, my attempt at humor here).
I interrupted the change in candle "name" and addition of case thread in a way you didn't mean.  I apologize for my outburst.  You have been keeping Connie in your prayers and I appreciate it so much.  I am not offering this as an excuse as in my opinion there is no excuse for poor behaviour which I exhibited.  These past few weeks as I have been striving to get Connie some much needed help which she has no insurance for, folks were referring to her not as a person, but as a statistic, a case number, a non-person.  That is not your fault and I humbly ask for your forgiveness for my way out of line outburst.

Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1003 on: March 17, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »

Hi Sister....glad to see you here.   

Caring for a family member that you love can put anyone under a great deal of stress.  I am praying for both of you.  Hugs...!

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1004 on: March 17, 2010, 02:29:06 PM »

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

May your neighbors respect you
   Trouble neglect you
 The Angles protect you
 And heaven accept you

GOD BLESS AMERICA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1005 on: March 17, 2010, 03:08:16 PM »

Sister - it sounds like the Gratefulness site made that change.  They may have changed that field to 4 characters rather than 5 and it automatically cut it off.  I can see why you would wonder why it happened, I would too!

Actually it looks like there are 2 for Connie (Conn and Conni)

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=conni

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=conn
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1006 on: March 17, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »

This guy is just too cool 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aJG9Tol1a0U&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/aJG9Tol1a0U&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1</a>
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #1007 on: March 17, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »

Poor babies, but I can't blame the mama for weaning them either.  They're so lucky to have you cooking for them!   

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1008 on: March 17, 2010, 03:51:37 PM »

The puppies and I have been on an outing to the vet. I took them in laundry baskets, with a quilt in the
bottom.  They were very good except for Nick, who cried the whole 15 miles to get there. Taking 10 of them
to the vet at once was a job.

Tex weighs 7lbs. The vet couldn't believe what a big fine pup he is. Hudson only weighed 6 lbs
when he was 8 weeks old.  Tex was 4 weeks today.  Buck, Tess, Peter R. DeVries, and Marvin all
weighed 6 1/2 lbs.  Wreck and Nola weighed 6lbs and Joe and Anna weighed 5 1/2.  They all got
worm medicine and smacked their lips at the taste.

They all slept all the way home and I am worn out.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1009 on: March 17, 2010, 03:58:16 PM »

This guy is just too cool 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aJG9Tol1a0U&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/aJG9Tol1a0U&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00&amp;border=1</a>

I agree!  

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Magnolia
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1010 on: March 17, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »

The puppies and I have been on an outing to the vet. I took them in laundry baskets, with a quilt in the
bottom.  They were very good except for Nick, who cried the whole 15 miles to get there. Taking 10 of them

Tex weighs 7lbs. The vet couldn't believe what a big fine pup he is. Hudson only weighed 6 lbs
when he was 8 weeks old.  Tex was 4 weeks today.  Buck, Tess, Peter R. DeVries, and Marvin all
weighed 6 1/2 lbs.  Wreck and Nola weighed 6lbs and Joe and Anna weighed 5 1/2.  They all got

I left out little Amos....he weighed 6lbs.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1011 on: March 17, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »

Thanks for the updates Magnolia!   

Wow!  They are all good sized for their age. 

I know you're exhausted, hope you can take a nap now!  an angelic monkey

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1012 on: March 17, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »

Wow Magnolia that was a work out for sure. They are all very healthy. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1013 on: March 17, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »

OMG they are huge!  Petey was only 3lbs at 12 weeks
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1014 on: March 17, 2010, 06:12:49 PM »

Thanks for the the little drummer boy...that put a big ole smile on my face

I posted this with out a quote so the stack would not be so long....hope it was ok

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1015 on: March 17, 2010, 06:46:46 PM »

Sister-     I've been very concerned for Connie and I've been following along how you and your family are trying to help her.  It's heartbreaking to hear it's so difficult  for you to get her the help she needs. Your sister Connie and your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.   an angelic monkey 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1016 on: March 17, 2010, 06:50:43 PM »

Thanks for the Pup-upate.      All the puppies names make me smile, and your descriptions of them and what they do are priceless.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1017 on: March 17, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »

Magnolia~  Did you know  cooked chicken bones are very dangerous for dogs, especially long bones because they can splinter, which can cause damage and are hard to digest.  I'm not sure your puppies ability at this time to get through bone, but wanted to let you know this.  Dogs can be fed soft, pliable bones such as lamb, chicken or rabbit if they are not cooked.   My husband feeds our adult  hounds whole raw chicken backs and  raw pork riblets, as part of a raw food diet.  We don't give them long bones raw or otherwise.  It looks like you're doing a great job with the pups.  I can't imagine having that many hungry little mouths in my household to feed   

When our Saluki pups were young, we fed them chicken with rice.  (no bones in there, though)  And of course, we included supplements.   

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1018 on: March 17, 2010, 07:17:50 PM »

OMG, this is horrible 

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/03/17/ghastly-slaughter-research-monkeys/?test=latestnews

March 17, 2010
Ghastly Slaughter of Research Monkeys Prompts Calls for Oversight

Workers at a Nevada research lab were checking on a primate room when they came across a ghastly sight: Thirty dead monkeys were essentially cooked alive after someone left the heater on. Two others were near death and had to be euthanized.

SPARKS, Nevada -- Workers at a Nevada research lab were checking on a primate room when they came across a ghastly sight: Thirty dead monkeys were essentially cooked alive after someone left the heater on. Two others were near death and had to be euthanized.

At a lab run by the same company, a monkey died last year after it was sent through an automatic cage washer. The temperatures were so scalding the monkey never had a chance.

The two cases have led to calls for greater oversight and enforcement of the animal research industry after an alarmingly high number of deaths in recent years.

Critics say fines for violations at animal research labs are so puny that they do nothing to deter violations. The lab where the monkeys died in Nevada was fined a mere $14,000 for the two incidents, according to records from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

"The penalties have given them virtually no motivation whatsoever to cease violating the law," said Michael Budkie, the executive director of the Ohio-based Stop Animal Exploitation Now. "If they are literally killing animals through negligence, something is wrong with the system."

The group asked Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack last month for an independent investigation into animal deaths at research labs.

Agriculture Department records show there were 97 negligent animal deaths at research facilities nationwide over the last two years, a figure that does not include lab mice and rats.

One of the biggest violators was Charles River Laboratories, where the 33 monkeys died at facilities in Reno in 2008 and Sparks in 2009.

The Massachusetts-based company is one of the world's largest suppliers of clinical and laboratory research services to pharmaceutical and biotech companies.

It also is a leading importer of research animals and breeds some of its own animals for medical research. Its researchers in Nevada are working to find a cure for cancer, new flu vaccines and better ways to treat obesity.

Spokeswoman Amy Cianciaruso said survival rates for major diseases are at an all-time high thanks to the discovery of new drugs made possible in part by the work of scientists at Charles River labs. The company has called the monkey deaths a "terrible and unfortunate tragedy," but said they were isolated cases and corrective actions were taken. Agriculture Department records show one employee was fired and another disciplined.

"Charles River's work is an essential component of the research that has led to these discoveries and has played a vital role in medical advances for humans as well as animals," Cianciaruso said.

The dead monkeys represent a tiny fraction of the tens of thousands of primates used for research around the country.

Charles River is one of 26 registered U.S. importers of non-human primates, a group that includes zoos, universities and private labs, said Christine Pearson, a spokeswoman for the National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Together they imported 27,388 animals in fiscal year 2008 and have averaged approximately 25,000 primates per year over the past four or five years, she said. Charles River alone reported it housed nearly 10,000 primates nationwide in 2008.

Congress first passed the Animal Welfare Act in 1966 and amended it in the 1980s to set new minimum standards for dogs used in research and the psychological well-being of primates. It was amended again in 2008, raising fines from $2,500 to the current $10,000 per violation for negligent acts.

Budkie said if the Agriculture Department fails to act on its request for an investigation into research animal deaths, his group will appeal to Congress to step up enforcement and raise fines.

The monkey deaths have become a public relations headache for Charles River, an 8,000-employee company that had sales of $1.2 billion in 2009.

The company's roots date to the 1940s when a young veterinarian, Dr. Henry L. Foster, bought a Maryland rat farm and began breeding the rodents in Boston. Foster later began breeding Rhesus monkeys following a trapping expedition in the foothills of the Himalayas.

Those animals were used to create a stock of 800 that were transported to two isolated islands in the Florida Keys, where workers trapped 400 to 500 young a year to sell to labs around the world.

Charles River remains a frequent target of animal rights activists over what happened in the primate quarantine room on May 28, 2008.

A series of errors began when a repair technician left the heater in the "ON" position at 8:20 a.m. An alarm three minutes later warned the temperature in the primate room had risen to an unsafe 84 degrees, but no one noticed it, a Department of Agriculture report shows. Another alarm went undetected nearly two hours later.

It wasn't until 12:30 p.m. that lab personnel found 30 dead monkeys. Surviving monkeys were moved to a cooler location and given fruit; two later had to be put down.

Workers quickly opened the doors to circulate air and gently sprayed down the monkeys with a hose, according to a government report. It's not known how hot it got in the quarantine room.

It wasn't the only problem for the company.

Another monkey died after going through a cage washer last year. In 2007, Agriculture Department reports show two monkeys at the now-closed Sparks lab had fingers amputated after they were caught in the wiring of their cages while being moved, and a third monkey suffered a cut to the tip of its tail.

In addition, the former director of laboratory sciences at the Sparks lab has filed a civil lawsuit accusing the company of mistreating research animals, falsifying records to cover up the abuse and firing him in October 2007 for complaining about it.

The company denied the allegations and said the worker was fired because he made derogatory and sexual comments to women.

Charles River refused a request from The Associated Press to tour its Reno facility.

The company says it has moved beyond the monkey deaths.

"We have discussed the incidents in Reno extensively. We don't have anything new to add about that," Cianciaruso said. She said that as a matter of policy, the company doesn't respond to "animal activist groups."

"They just make false claims so we don't engage in a 'he said, she said' back and forth," she said.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1019 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:03 PM »

The shortest video yet!   

Sit Petey 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.