March 28, 2024, 07:12:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #54 1/21/10 - 6/18/10  (Read 542230 times)
crazybabyborg
« Reply #1340 on: April 09, 2010, 12:48:30 PM »

I forgot to add there are male cardinals pecking at various windows at my house.  They see their reflections and think another male is invading their territory.  There's only so much I can do about it, since some of the windows are high up, near the roof line.  The peck, peck, pecking sounds aren't so bad, but I worry for the Cardinals since I've seen them spend so much time and energy doing it, and I worry they will injure themselves. 

I know!! I have a brass kickplate on the front door and there's a big red cardinal beating his beak on it! Happens every Spring! I went to the door a dozen times the first time it happened, and finally went to the den window so I could see what was going on! I just couldn't believe it! They'll be fine, Muffy. I figure they're the strongest ones around, or they wouldn't be taking on such a formidable foe that doesn't back down!   
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1341 on: April 09, 2010, 09:57:26 PM »

I was just going to go play a game when I saw you here CBB!  Hope things are settling down some for you.  How is KuBear?

I'm jumping around, Klaas! Sorry! Ku's full of herself, and a handful!  I had to leave her for the first time today. I had taken her to Duffield the other day, and her leg just can't take the ride. I'm hanging in there! Where's the latest videos of Petey?? I miss the little bugger!

He's decided he likes to sit on the recliner like THIS looking out the window, LOLOLOL 

I'll try and get a new video of him tomorrow. 

jumping in here Monks....CBB so glad to read Ke is on the mend and Klaas....    Petey!!

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1342 on: April 10, 2010, 12:12:53 AM »

Breaking News

5 Ambulances Arrive at W.Va. Mine Where Crews Are Looking for Survivors

http://www.foxnews.com/

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
crazybabyborg
« Reply #1343 on: April 10, 2010, 12:43:13 AM »

Breaking News

Thanks Janet! It would take a miracle to find any survivors, but I'm hoping!!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1344 on: April 10, 2010, 01:29:22 AM »

Breaking News

The miracle we were hoping for didn't happen. 

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/10/west.virginia.mine/
4 missing West Virginia miners found dead
April 10, 2010 1:11 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Four missing miners in a West Virginia coal mine have been found dead, authorities said early Saturday.

"We did not receive the miracle we prayed for," said West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin. "This journey has ended and now the healing will start."

Authorities notified the families of the four miners first about their fate before revealing it to the media.(snip)

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
crazybabyborg
« Reply #1345 on: April 10, 2010, 09:49:12 AM »

I saw it, Muffy. So sad...........
Bud's Girl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1346 on: April 10, 2010, 12:37:52 PM »

Hi CBB!   Sorry to hear about Kubear.  Your plate has been overflowing lately. 

The naked truth is always better than the best dressed lie.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #1347 on: April 10, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »

I was just going to go play a game when I saw you here CBB!  Hope things are settling down some for you.  How is KuBear?

I'm jumping around, Klaas! Sorry! Ku's full of herself, and a handful!  I had to leave her for the first time today. I had taken her to Duffield the other day, and her leg just can't take the ride. I'm hanging in there! Where's the latest videos of Petey?? I miss the little bugger!

He's decided he likes to sit on the recliner like THIS looking out the window, LOLOLOL 

I love it! 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1348 on: April 10, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »

Good morning 

Springtime has come to Texas.

Last Sunday my mom killed a 2 1/2 ft. rattlesnake that was laying against her birdbath.  She cut his head off with a shovel.  When I related this incident to my brother his reply was "Nice.  She hasn't lost her touch."  And  then he wanted to know why she used a shovel instead of a hoe.  Just like a man to question choice of weapons...    The important thing is she dispatched it isn't it?   

My next door neighbor (one with 3 little children) killed a 2 foot long Coral snake in his front yard last Monday morning.  His choice of weapon also was a handy shovel.

Jim, my neighbor and avid bird watcher says he saw humming birds in his yard so I decided to put out some feeders for the first time this season.  I had the  first feeder loaded with nectar and was reaching up to hang it on a hook and from out of nowhere a humming bird buzzed right up to my head.  It was LOUD!  I think he/she was telling me to get the feeder hung up already!   

Yeppers.  Looks like summer is on it's way.     Shovel good for more than just shoveling soil and etc.   Also good for pest control.   

Yikes on the snakes!  A little humming should not startle a bee!

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1349 on: April 10, 2010, 06:29:53 PM »

I forgot to add there are male cardinals pecking at various windows at my house.  They see their reflections and think another male is invading their territory.  There's only so much I can do about it, since some of the windows are high up, near the roof line.  The peck, peck, pecking sounds aren't so bad, but I worry for the Cardinals since I've seen them spend so much time and energy doing it, and I worry they will injure themselves. 

The male birds here sit on the door of the car all day admiring their faces in the mirror and poop all over the car door under the mirror.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1350 on: April 10, 2010, 06:37:15 PM »

Breaking News

The miracle we were hoping for didn't happen. 

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/10/west.virginia.mine/
4 missing West Virginia miners found dead
April 10, 2010 1:11 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Four missing miners in a West Virginia coal mine have been found dead, authorities said early Saturday.

"We did not receive the miracle we prayed for," said West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin. "This journey has ended and now the healing will start."

Authorities notified the families of the four miners first about their fate before revealing it to the media.(snip)

So very sad. The Virginias certainly have had their share of tragedy recently.  I will pray for a resbid for them.

an angelic monkey

I believe in miracles!
Puzzler
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1351 on: April 10, 2010, 11:22:05 PM »

I love it! 

Klaas...Petey is so cute and has grown so much.  I know you're really enjoying him.

Is that the ocean I see outside your doorway?  Beautiful view!!

Puzzler - that which puzzles or perplexes; anything that arouses curiosity or perplexes because it is unexplained, inexplicable or secret.
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1352 on: April 10, 2010, 11:39:27 PM »

Local Serial Murders Featured In Movie

By Daniella Guzman

POSTED: Saturday, April 3, 2010
UPDATED: 1:01 pm CDT April 3, 2010

HOUSTON -- It's been 26 years since several women were killed and dumped in an empty field in League City. Hollywood producers are now beginning to make a movie out of the the killings, KPRC Local 2 reported.

The killings happened between 1983-1991.

"Grey's Anatomy's" Jeffrey Dean Morgan and "Avatar's" Sam Worthington are the two main actors in the film, currently named, "The Texas Killing Fields."

Tim Miller, the father of one of the victims, said it's a bittersweet feeling, knowing a movie is being made about his tragedy.

"It could jog someone's memory or the suspect could come to his senses and turn himself in, it may be good for those cases that have not been solved like my daughters," said Miller.

Miller's daughter, 16-year-old Laura Miller, was abducted from a convenience store in League City. Her remains were found in an empty field along with other remains of missing women.

In his daughter's honor, Miller founded the non-profit organization, Texas Equuasearch, to help parents find their missing children.

"I hate to see somebody make money of my daughter's death. They will make money and movies are entertaining. Let me tell you, there is nothing entertaining about our daughters being murdered," Miller said.

The father of Laura Smither, who was also murdered during that time, said he would have liked to receive a courtesy call.

"I'm a little surprised that the producers didn't try to contact us to tell us what they were up to and to get our input," Bob Smither said.

Some local movie goers from the League City area discussed the movie.

"If I knew how the family felt about it, that would make me not want to watch it. I would want to respect the wishes of those families," Shirley Lockett said.

"Just to know what happened all those years ago, I'm pretty curious. The parents don't have to watch it, they shouldn't watch it," Vicky Herrera said.

The movie is expected to hit the movie theaters sometime next year.

Copyright 2010 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1353 on: April 10, 2010, 11:58:48 PM »

http://www.khou.com/entertainment/New-movie-to-focus-on-unsolved-Calder-Road-I-45-corridor-murders-85042142.html

Movie to focus on unsolved Calder Road, I-45 corridor murders

by Karn Dhingra / The Daily News

Posted on February 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM
Updated Tuesday, Feb 23 at 3:24 PM

LEAGUE CITY, Texas — A movie based on the unsolved Calder Road and Interstate 45 corridor murders will begin filming in April in Louisiana, Variety, a film industry trade magazine, reported.

Tim Miller, founder of the Dickinson-based Texas EquuSearch, a group dedicated to finding missing people, said he hopes the movie will spark interest in the unsolved homicides.

"I’m a little disappointed they didn’t contact me — only so I can contact some of the families to let them know about the movie," Miller said.

Since 1971, 21 women and girls have been reported missing along the Interstate 45 corridor in Galveston County in cases that remain unsolved. Police have recovered the remains of 14 from fields, parks and bodies of water. Their killers remain at large.

The other seven are missing, their fates unknown.

Jessica Cain, Krystal Jean Baker, Suzanne Rene Richerson, Sandra Romber, Jo Ann Sendejas and Shelley Sikes were among the many women who went missing or were found dead along or near the I-45 corridor.

Miller’s daughter, Laura, disappeared in 1984. Her body was found in a field off Calder Road with the bodies of three other women. Miller also is working on a movie about the Calder Road and I-45 murders with a group of filmmakers and producers in California, who are not affiliated with the film that will begin shooting in April. "I can’t talk much about it, right now," Miller said.

The movie that will be shot in Louisiana was initially named, "The Texas Killing Fields" and was changed to "The Fields." It is slated to be released in 2012 and will be produced by Michael Mann and directed by his daughter, Ami Canaan Mann, according to Variety.

"The Fields" screenplay was written by Donald F. Ferrarone, a former U.S Drug Enforcement Agency agent, Variety reported.

Michael Mann, who directed and produced 2009’s "Public Enemies" also directed and produced "The Last of the Mohicans," "Heat," "The Insider," "Ali" and "Collateral."

Lt. Tommy Hansen of the Galveston County Sheriff’s Office, who worked on some of the I-45 corridor homicide cases, said he didn’t know what to think about a Hollywood portrayal of the unsolved homicides.

"There’s been a lot of fanfare by the media because someone is supposedly stalking I-45," Hansen said. "I don’t know if it’s true there’s a connection between these murders. A lot of these murders were wrong-time and wrong-place types of situations."

"The Fields," will star Sam Worthington, who starred in "Avatar," and Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who starred in 2009’s comic book movie "Watchmen."

Variety’s Dave McNary reported: "Morgan will star as a detective transplanted from New York, while the ‘Avatar’ thesp will portray a local investigator probing a series of unsolved murders in industrial wastelands surrounding Gulf Coast refineries, whereas many as 70 bodies have turned up over the past two decades. Together they wage a war against the unknown assailants."

BooMonkey
Monkey All Star Jr.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

« Reply #1354 on: April 11, 2010, 04:24:50 AM »

Happy Birthday Deenie!!   Hope you have an awesome day 

"but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." -Atticus Finch
San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1355 on: April 11, 2010, 06:16:50 AM »

'Designing Women' star Dixie Carter dead at 70

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/designing_women_star_dixie_carter_6AdZ6Nsqcf0FOyd6eBqcCI

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Last Updated: 5:09 AM, April 11, 2010

LOS ANGELES — Dixie Carter, the “Designing Women” star who used her Southern charm, quick wit and stately beauty in a host of roles on Broadway and television, died Saturday. She was 70.

Publicist Steve Rohr, who represents Carter and her husband, actor Hal Holbrook, said Carter died Saturday morning. He would not disclose where she died or the cause of death. Carter and Holbrook lived in the Los Angeles area.

“This has been a terrible blow to our family,” Holbrook said in a written statement. “We would appreciate everyone understanding that this is a private family tragedy.”

A native of Tennessee, Carter was most famous for playing wisecracking Southerner Julia Sugarbaker for seven years on “Designing Women,” the CBS sitcom that ran from 1986 to 1993. The series was the peak of a career in which she often played wealthy and self-important but independent Southern women.

She was nominated for an Emmy in 2007 for her seven-episode guest stint on the ABC hit “Desperate Housewives.”

Carter’s other credits include roles on the series “Family Law” and “Different Strokes.”

She married Holbrook in 1984. The two had met four years earlier while making the TV movie “The Killing of Randy Webster,” and although attracted to one another, each had suffered two failed marriages and were wary at first.

They finally wed two years before Carter landed her role on “Designing Women.” Holbrook appeared on the show regularly in the late 1980s as her boyfriend, Reese Watson.

The two appeared together in her final project, the 2009 independent film “That Evening Sun,” shot in Tennessee and based on a short story by Southern novelist William Gay.

The middle of three children, Carter was born in 1939 in McLemoresville, Tenn.

Carter was the daughter of a grocery and department store owner who died just three years ago at 96. She said at the time of his death that he taught her to believe in people’s essential goodness.

“When I asked him how he handled shoplifting in his new store, which had a lot of goods on display, making it impossible to keep an eye on everything, he said, ’Most people are honest, and if they weren’t, you couldn’t stay in business because a thief will find a way to steal,’” Carter said. “’You can’t really protect yourself, but papa and I built our business believing most people are honest and want to do right by you.’”

Carter grew up in Carroll County and made her stage debut in a 1960 production of “Carousel” in Memphis. It was the beginning of a decades-long stage career in which she relied on her singing voice as much as her acting.

She appeared in TV soap operas in the 1970s, but did not become a national star until her recurring roles on “Different Strokes” and another series, “Filthy Rich,” in the 1980s.

Those two parts led to her role on “Designing Women,” a comedy about the lives of four women at an interior design firm in Atlanta.

Carter and Delta Burke played the sparring sisters who ran the firm. The series also starred Annie Potts and Jean Smart.

The show, whose reruns have rarely left the airwaves, was not a typical sitcom. It tackled such topics as sexism, ageism, body image and AIDS.

“It was something so unique, because there had never been anything quite like it,” Potts told The Associated Press at a 2006 cast reunion. “We had Lucy and Ethel, but we never had that exponentially expanded, smart, attractive women who read newspapers and had passions about things and loved each other and stood by each other.”

Carter appeared on the drama “Family Law” from 1999 to 2002, and in her last major TV appearance she played Gloria Hodge, the surly mother-in-law to Marcia Cross’s Bree on “Desperate Housewives.”

Carter said the role was far from the kindly woman she played on “Designing Women.”

“It’s a vast difference,” Carter said while filming the series. “Gloria Hodge doesn’t have any redeeming qualities except her intelligence.”

In addition to Holbrook, Carter is survived by daughters Mary Dixie and Ginna.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1356 on: April 11, 2010, 11:56:30 AM »

Link to Deenie's Birthday Thread in the Lounge:

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=7575.msg0#new

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Monken
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1357 on: April 11, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »

I can't think of anything looooong enough that i could use to kill a rattlesnake!! i would probably kill myself trying to get away!!! 
I LOVE SPRING!! Beautiful warm weather FINALLY!! Here are some pics from a local park.
New cake pic is up, Muffy!  Love ya

"Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden."
Phaedrus
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1358 on: April 11, 2010, 01:57:43 PM »

Beautiful flowers Monken!  Thanks for sharing!   

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1359 on: April 11, 2010, 05:10:48 PM »

Did you all see Monken's newest cake?   

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=4894.new#new

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.