April 24, 2024, 08:45:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #54 1/21/10 - 6/18/10  (Read 543118 times)
mariloo
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »

To all you monkey sleuths:  Where would I start looking for a murder that happened in West Memphis Arkansas back in late 1870's to early 1900's.  Supposed a man was bring paryoll across the bridge to his employees and was murdered.  Supposedly the murderer was hanged w/in a couple of months for this murder.  How do I go about finding the actual documented story?  Can anyone help me??

Mariloo - you could try the newspaper archives

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/?gclid=CJbqqNTvyZ8CFSEbawodnyfE0Q

Or you could go to the local library and look through newspapers there.  Do you have the persons name?

I know the man murdered's last name was Underwood.  I think there was only one logging company in West Memphis Arkansas at that time.  I just did not know how to approach this without going there in person.
bikerbev
Monkey Junky

« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »

OT to MARILOO....I've done genealogy research on a small scale, but I would be happy to look up some stuff for you.  I'll need the names of your grandfather, great grandfather and the the name of the man who murdered him if you have it.  How would I get my email to you?
bikerbev
Monkey Junky

« Reply #162 on: January 29, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »

To all you monkey sleuths:  Where would I start looking for a murder that happened in West Memphis Arkansas back in late 1870's to early 1900's.  Supposed a man was bring paryoll across the bridge to his employees and was murdered.  Supposedly the murderer was hanged w/in a couple of months for this murder.  How do I go about finding the actual documented story?  Can anyone help me??

Or you could go to the local library and look through newspapers there.  Do you have the persons name?

I know the man murdered's last name was Underwood.  I think there was only one logging company in West Memphis Arkansas at that time.  I just did not know how to approach this without going there in person.
Mariloo...I've done some genealogic research...if you could give me your grandfather/great grandfather's name, maybe I could try some searches.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »

Mariloo! It's great to see you!    I took a quick look but didn't come up with anything. I'm sure there are archives somewhere, but there are better sleuths than me around here! Best of luck in your search!

I'm "hunkering down" for the weather this afternoon................. here's my updated forecast:

Watches and Warnings Kingsport Forecast ...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS
AFTERNOON TO 4 PM EST SATURDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON
TO 4 PM EST SATURDAY.

* TIMING: LIGHT RAIN OR SNOW IS EXPECTED BEGIN FALLING THIS
AFTERNOON...THEN WILL CHANGE TO ALL SNOW AND INCREASE IN
INTENSITY THROUGH THIS EVENING. THE SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES
TONIGHT. SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN TO DECREASE THROUGH
SATURDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED.

* IMPACTS: ROAD CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BECOME VERY
HAZARDOUS. TREES AND POWER LINES MAY FALL DUE TO THE WEIGHT OF
THE HEAVY SNOW CREATING POWER OUTAGES.

It's that last part that's the worst. I've had enough of the power outages! With my son's surgery, there's just no way we could go elsewhere, so I'm REALLY hoping the power stays functional! I can walk to his house, even if I can't drive, but he can't even get off of the recliner by himself. We'll see..............
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:28:32 PM by CBB » Logged
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »

Bearly,

I have not heard any thing about this. Thank You for bringing it to my attention. 

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2010, 12:42:33 PM »

Bearly - now when that word is typed at SM it will come out as ++++++ 

Test:

The fire was +++++++ by the water

Smoking will +++++ your growth

Yep....it works.  That "R" word is no longer available at SM

Oh, thank you, Klaas!

I believe in miracles!
NM
Monkey Junky

« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »

Hi Mariloo,
I'm sorry your great-grandpa was murdered. I did find info on the lumber industry in West Memphis, see below.
I found this info from yahoo.com searched for West Memphis Arkansas history
Historical societies are are good source as well

http://www.arkansas.com/city-listings/city_detail.aspx?city=West+Memphis
West Memphis, occupies an area on the west bank of the Mississippi River that once included the towns of Hopefield, Bragg and Hulbert. The name "West Memphis" came into use in the early 1900s because lumber shipped from the Memphis market to foreign buyers brought higher prices. With the coming of the first rail bridge in 1892 and the first automobile bridge in 1917, West Memphis began to grow. The Memphis-Arkansas automobile bridge opened in 1949 and the I-40 (DeSoto) Bridge was dedicated in 1972. Southland Greyhound Park has been a major West Memphis attraction since 1956. Open the year around, the schedule includes live greyhound racing, plus simulcast dog and horse racing. Mid-South Community College serves the region. An Arkansas Welcome Center is located just west of town (I-40).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis,_Arkansas
The lumber industry played a large role in the founding of West Memphis. Zack Bragg came to this region around 1904. He established the Bragg Mill believing the best opportunity because the logging end of the lumber industry lay in the timber of Eastern Arkansas. Bragg used the Mississippi River and the new railroads as transportation for his logs.
Although the mill and its surroundings were known as Bragg they were later referred to as West Memphis because of the higher prices it would bring for lumber. Another man who realized the potential of the lumber industry was P.T Bolz of St. Louis. In 1914, he sent William Hundhausen to survey the area. This resulted in the Bolz Slack Barrel Cooperage Plant. Its location near the intersection of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and Rock Island allowed for easy transportation by rail or by river.

Also many links on last page

http://www.wmcoc.com/westmemphis_information/civic_guide.htm
Crittenden County Historical Society
President: Linda Fritz
363 Darby Road
Marion, AR 72364
739-3995

Glenda wrote: "aruba's job was not to babysit Beth's daughter. Beth sent her daughter to swim with the sharks, she is responsible for what ever happened to Natalee." = there is no homicide in aruba, only SUICIDE.  Don't go to aruba if you value your life.
NM
Monkey Junky

« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2010, 01:08:36 PM »

Mariloo,
One more suggestion. Try the police dept. They may have records or info
West Memphis Police Department
626 East Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301
870-732-7555
http://www.westmemphispolice.com/

Glenda wrote: "aruba's job was not to babysit Beth's daughter. Beth sent her daughter to swim with the sharks, she is responsible for what ever happened to Natalee." = there is no homicide in aruba, only SUICIDE.  Don't go to aruba if you value your life.
NM
Monkey Junky

« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »

Mariloo,
one more set of links. Great info at this encyclopedia of AK

Keep us posted on your research.

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=762
For additional information:
Claiborne, Taylor, ed. West Memphis, 1927–1976. West Memphis, AR: Printing Crafts Inc., 1976.
The Crittenden County Rambler: Guide to Historic Places. West Memphis, AR: Crittenden County Historical Society, 1983.
Woolfolk, Margaret Elizabeth. A History of Crittenden County, Arkansas. Greenville, SC: Southern Historical Press, 1993.

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/advanced-search.aspx
lots of lumber links by typing lumber in search window

mariloo
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »

Thanks to all for your information.  You have given me some great starters.  My dad was born in 1923, his dad is questionable but I figure at least in 1917 to 1920.  And his father is the one who was supposedly murdered carrying the payroll across the bridge.  The timeline is right in your historical link.  We hae talked about this in my family for years.  This could be the imagination of a boy who grew up in an orphanage.  Who knows?  But, I want to sincerely thank everyone.  I get so bumfuzzled sometimes.I sure would like to know.  My brother said to me before he died, "You know, our last name may not even be what we thought it was."  Geez!!!!!!!!!!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2010, 02:34:13 PM »

Mariloo! It's great to see you!    I took a quick look but didn't come up with anything. I'm sure there are archives somewhere, but there are better sleuths than me around here! Best of luck in your search!

I'm "hunkering down" for the weather this afternoon................. here's my updated forecast:

Watches and Warnings Kingsport Forecast ...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS
AFTERNOON TO 4 PM EST SATURDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON
TO 4 PM EST SATURDAY.

* TIMING: LIGHT RAIN OR SNOW IS EXPECTED BEGIN FALLING THIS
AFTERNOON...THEN WILL CHANGE TO ALL SNOW AND INCREASE IN
INTENSITY THROUGH THIS EVENING. THE SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES
TONIGHT. SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN TO DECREASE THROUGH
SATURDAY.

* ACCUMULATIONS: SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED.

* IMPACTS: ROAD CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BECOME VERY
HAZARDOUS. TREES AND POWER LINES MAY FALL DUE TO THE WEIGHT OF
THE HEAVY SNOW CREATING POWER OUTAGES.

It's that last part that's the worst. I've had enough of the power outages! With my son's surgery, there's just no way we could go elsewhere, so I'm REALLY hoping the power stays functional! I can walk to his house, even if I can't drive, but he can't even get off of the recliner by himself. We'll see..............

You have an open invite here, but I understand it would be tough to move your son.  Can you get a generator?  Does anyone near you have one?  I am thinking I need to get one myself.  I always think it at times like that and then it goes right out of my head afterward.  I was in that situation with a newborn and a really bad ice storm, very frightening.

Can I do something for you?  I will pray, starting now, for that black cloud to go away and poof into some sunshine.

Do you have a fireplace?

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »

Thanks to all for your information.  You have given me some great starters.  My dad was born in 1923, his dad is questionable but I figure at least in 1917 to 1920.  And his father is the one who was supposedly murdered carrying the payroll across the bridge.  The timeline is right in your historical link.  We hae talked about this in my family for years.  This could be the imagination of a boy who grew up in an orphanage.  Who knows?  But, I want to sincerely thank everyone.  I get so bumfuzzled sometimes.I sure would like to know.  My brother said to me before he died, "You know, our last name may not even be what we thought it was."  Geez!!!!!!!!!!

1917-1920 for what, his birth?  It would have to be before that or he would have only been 3-6 years old when your dad was born.  His death?  It could not have been more than 9 months before your dad was born. 

Good luck with your search.   

How did everyone else know she was looking for her relative?  Do you guys have ESP?   

I believe in miracles!
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2010, 03:06:36 PM »

1917-1920 for what, his birth?  It would have to be before that or he would have only been 3-6 years old when your dad was born.  His death?  It could not have been more than 9 months before your dad was born. 

How did everyone else know she was looking for her relative?  Do you guys have ESP?   

Ummm.   It was being discussed in a missing persons' thread until a wise and experienced  monkey suggested it be brought here, which was the right thing to do.  And it looks  like there are some good suggestions/helps/links.  I hope Mariloo will keep us up to date on what she finds.  I think a thread in the lounge would be interesting.  JMHO

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
mariloo
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #173 on: January 29, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »

ur right and I can't count either!!!!!!!!.  I was thinking his birth should be at least 20 years prior to my dad's and his dad should be about the same amount of time give or take a few yrs.  Oh, I wish I had more info.    Thanks anyway.  I am ging to call someone later today or tomorrow that may can help me. 

Edited to put the quote in the right box.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:39:18 AM by Bearlyhere » Logged
mariloo
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2010, 03:12:36 PM »

Rut Roh!, I scwewed that post up.  Please forgive
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2010, 03:32:55 PM »

No worries    I think your research will be interesting.   an angelic monkey

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
mariloo
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2010, 03:43:28 PM »

OT to MARILOO....I've done genealogy research on a small scale, but I would be happy to look up some stuff for you.  I'll need the names of your grandfather, great grandfather and the the name of the man who murdered him if you have it.  How would I get my email to you?

Don't know!  Any suggestions?  I think we better post in the musings?
mariloo
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »

This is something that has bugged me for many years.  I have an uncle with the family bible.  I am going to call him first to make sure I have first and middle names right.  My immediate grandfather was such a man of tall tales that I just want to find out mainly if he took on another name after leaving an orphanage when he was 18.  He stated he had a younger brother that ran away from the same orphanage when he was 15.  So, here is another thread to the family that we do not even know about.  If he did, I feel like when he was old enough, that one joined the service, JMO.  It is a real puzzle.  I never thought much about this till my oldest brother died a few years ago and it has haunted me that our last name may not be Underwood.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2010, 04:09:30 PM »

This is something that has bugged me for many years.  I have an uncle with the family bible.  I am going to call him first to make sure I have first and middle names right.  My immediate grandfather was such a man of tall tales that I just want to find out mainly if he took on another name after leaving an orphanage when he was 18.  He stated he had a younger brother that ran away from the same orphanage when he was 15.  So, here is another thread to the family that we do not even know about.  If he did, I feel like when he was old enough, that one joined the service, JMO.  It is a real puzzle.  I never thought much about this till my oldest brother died a few years ago and it has haunted me that our last name may not be Underwood.

I have done quite a bit of genealogy as well.  There should be orphanage records and census records from 1880 if you know your grandfathers first name.
mariloo
Monkey Junky Jr.

« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2010, 04:16:51 PM »

My grandfather was John D. Underwood and I believe his brothr was James Underwood.  There dad was also John Underwood even though my grandad was not a Jr.  I have heard the orphanage was in Memphis and burned up.  I hope it was not during Georgia Tann's reign.  The story bout her is she illegally took kids and adopted them out and destroyed records.  I am hoping this was before her time.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.