April 26, 2024, 02:33:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #54 1/21/10 - 6/18/10  (Read 543222 times)
Bud's Girl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1700 on: May 19, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »

Need some monkey suggestions..........

we are going to spend 5 days in Sedona in June, one day will be devoted to the Grand Canyon, another day to Antelope Canyon, Cameron Trading Post,  Wupatki National Monument, and Flagstaff.  One day to hike around the Red Rocks of Sedona. One day at a Spa and shopping and checking out Sedona art galleries.  That leaves one more full day.....any suggestions on something that is a must see/must do? We are spending 2 days in Phoenix just relaxing and getting pampered.  Any suggestions???

Hey Sunny... my sister & her husband have lived in Scottsdale for about 20 yrs.   I told her what you wrote & asked if she had any suggestions.  Here's what she told me .... 

If they want to do more hiking, Piestewa Peak and/or Camelback Mountain are rather famous and traditional around here.  In June, must go early morning, and bring plenty of water.  The ArtWalks downtown on Thursdays are fun ... live music, wine, stores open. 

BUT - if they want real adventure, and something to talk about for a long time - tell them to check out driving the Apache Trail.  Some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see, and it will go past several lakes, and a ghost town.  Not for nervous drivers or passengers, but a real adventure.   

She just emailed me an additional thing - said you'll love the Pink Jeep tours in Sedona, best money ever spent.  She took my grown sons & granddaughter there summer before last; they absolutely loved it.   She said she can check & tell you which tour in particular they took -  if you want to know that. 

The naked truth is always better than the best dressed lie.
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #1701 on: May 19, 2010, 05:37:24 PM »

http://www.evendon.net/PGHLookups/DirM.htm

Hello Monkey's,

This is an Off Topic subject, but so interesting!  I remembered a few months back a Monkey was looking for her ancestor's

(I thought maybe she still pops on by)  perhaps these directories could lead to something, but what?

The old phone directories do not list all years or states, just her and there. I found my grandfather in 1946 directory.

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1702 on: May 19, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »

we are going to spend 5 days in Sedona in June, one day will be devoted to the Grand Canyon, another day to Antelope Canyon, Cameron Trading Post,  Wupatki National Monument, and Flagstaff.  One day to hike around the Red Rocks of Sedona. One day at a Spa and shopping and checking out Sedona art galleries.  That leaves one more full day.....any suggestions on something that is a must see/must do? We are spending 2 days in Phoenix just relaxing and getting pampered.  Any suggestions???

Hey Sunny... my sister & her husband have lived in Scottsdale for about 20 yrs.   I told her what you wrote & asked if she had any suggestions.  Here's what she told me .... 

If they want to do more hiking, Piestewa Peak and/or Camelback Mountain are rather famous and traditional around here.  In June, must go early morning, and bring plenty of water.  The ArtWalks downtown on Thursdays are fun ... live music, wine, stores open. 

BUT - if they want real adventure, and something to talk about for a long time - tell them to check out driving the Apache Trail.  Some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see, and it will go past several lakes, and a ghost town.  Not for nervous drivers or passengers, but a real adventure. 

WOW...thanks Bud's girl......I'd love to see the Apache Trail...but reading what you say about nervous passenger (ME) I need to know more.......IIRC, Camelback Mountain is on the list...and definitely the ArtWalks....  again, Thanks to you and your sister and husband

Rest in Peace Caylee
Natalee, We will never forget.
Zahra, run with the Angels

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1703 on: May 19, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »

She just emailed me an additional thing - said you'll love the Pink Jeep tours in Sedona, best money ever spent.  She took my grown sons & granddaughter there summer before last; they absolutely loved it.   She said she can check & tell you which tour in particular they took -  if you want to know that.

Again Thanks..we have checked out Pink Jeep Tours...however my DIL had back surgery a couple months ago and the surgeon said no rough terrain...so I think we have scratched that. I would have loved to have done it....it gets rave reviews on TA.

Rest in Peace Caylee

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES AND GET OVER IT!  It's not about you or me.....It's about the Missing and the Murdered
Babybear
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1704 on: May 19, 2010, 11:28:20 PM »

Yikes, Deenie, you better wear your glasses.  If you should get in an accident and it is not your fault, they will blame it on you because your license specifically says you need to wear them.  I would hate to see you lose the house you have been working so hard on.  Besides, if you ever hit anyone or a pet, you would never forgive yourself, always wondering if you would not have done it if you had your glasses on.

So, true, Bearly.  I surrendered my driver's license 4 years ago because of a vision impairment that can't be helped with glasses.  It was my choice.  It got to the point where I was taking the long route home just to avoid traffic situations my vision couldn't handle.  The couple of years before I stopped driving, I only drove locally and that, too, became a white knuckle event so I finally gave in.  I just couldn't 'bear' the thought of hurting anyone or myself.

Now, I have to renew my non-driver ID with the Motor Vehicle Commission...(still want to call it NJDMV...whatever).   They have a 6 point Identification requirement to renew here.  Last time, I had what I thought was enough but I had laminated my Social Security card many, many years ago....that's a no-no....they wouldn't accept it.  Luckily, the check I wrote out had my name and address and they accepted that.  THEN, I had to wait on another line to get my pic taken.  It took a while.  Needless to say, I am not happy I have to go there every 4 years to get a new digital ID. 

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/6PointID.htm

I also heard earlier this week that our Gov. Christie plans to eliminate safety inspections on vehicles....I think they said many other states do not require it.  We've always had it here.  Personally, I think it's alarming that the rules are different from state to state. 

Hi Monks.....

Deenie--I practically have to wear glasses to see my glasses.

NJ--I used to live in PA and we had inspections twice a year.  I always thought it was a good idea.  Now that I live in TN, well......the rules are different here.  No inspections.  I see all kinds of rattletraps on the road which should be in a junkyard.  And the gas emissions!  Some of them practically gas you in your own car if you're behind them.  But we are free spirits and don't like to be told what to do--even by the government.  Especially by the government.

Wrong is wrong, even if everybody does it.
Right is right, even if nobody does it. ~ Unknown
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1705 on: May 20, 2010, 09:16:30 AM »

I had to share this wonderful story.......

15 years of 'comfort and joy'
By Tevah Platt
May 20, 2010, 7:53AM

ANNADALE
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Rebel Gunner turned 15 this month, his age translating to 73—or by a rougher formula, 90—in human years.

He has arthritis in his hips, some hearing loss, and mild cataracts, but his tail still wags as if on a separate generator as he moves between the couch, the yard and his owners’ bedside, the triangle of his long and love-filled life.

The golden retriever marked his May 7 birthday in Annadale as Grace and Gary Langan bestowed on him not just the usual crust of their pizza but, for the first time, an entire slice.

The Langans picked Rebel up at an Amish farm in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where in the spring of 1995 the pup had suckled mama Sadie for 40 days in the warm mound of barn hay.

The Langans— Grace, Gary, and Daniel, then in second grade — had lost their previous golden retriever, Caduceus, the previous month.

Rebel, perhaps, filled the void as he found his way in the Langan home, trembling at first at the sound of passing cars and prompting runs for the camera when he curled up in the family’s laundry basket to sleep.

Soon after settling in Annadale, Rebel claimed the couch side pillow as his own and made a lifelong habit of carrying it around and sleeping with his head propped on it at night.

As he grew up to be 90 pounds of rusty-toned handsome, Rebel showed off a variety of unusual skills.

He could, and can, hold three tennis balls in his mouth at once, eat daintily off a fork, and swiftly consume paper napkin wads on a regular basis.

But for the Langans his distinguishing trait has always been his intuition.

Rebel marked his May 7 birthday in his Annadale home, where his owners bestowed on him not just the usual crust of their pizza but, for the first time, an entire slice.

Rebel knows that the smell of a cigar means a walk may be afoot, that a ringing doorbell could signal the arrival of a pizza and that 10 p.m. is time for him to bark at the top of the stairs to say, “It’s bedtime,” the Langans said.

But most significantly, Rebel seems to know when a family member needs love.

He has lived through a decade and a half of family milestones: Daniel’s high school and college years (Daniel graduates next year), deaths in the family, Gary’s coronary bypass surgery in 2008, great days for the Langans and lousy ones.

“I love the feeling that you’re never alone,” said Ms. Langan. “We call him comfort and joy.”

Today, Ms. Langan said, Rebel is “like a sweet, sweet old man.”

Rebel’s muzzle and soulful brown eyes are framed by white hairs, and he’s recently started coughing when he gets excited, but he remains what dogs famously are: Constant.

Said Ms. Langan: “He has brought us joy every single day that we’ve had him.”
http://www.silive.com/southshore/index.ssf/2010/05/15_years_of_comfort_and_joy.html 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1706 on: May 20, 2010, 09:21:57 AM »

Nut, what a wonderful story 
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1707 on: May 20, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »

Great story.   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1708 on: May 20, 2010, 09:27:17 AM »

Hello Monkey's,

This is an Off Topic subject, but so interesting!  I remembered a few months back a Monkey was looking for her ancestor's

(I thought maybe she still pops on by)  perhaps these directories could lead to something, but what?

The old phone directories do not list all years or states, just her and there. I found my grandfather in 1946 directory.

Very cool, thanks!
SunnyinTX
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1709 on: May 20, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »

Nut, I love your story about Rebel................thanks for sharing it

Rest in Peace Caylee

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1710 on: May 20, 2010, 12:22:54 PM »

Nut, I love your story about Rebel................thanks for sharing it

ITA   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #1711 on: May 20, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »

Hello Monkey's,

Very cool, thanks!

Your Welcome! 

Here is another site updated (not as cool) : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#r=0&p=allCollections

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1712 on: May 20, 2010, 07:26:37 PM »

I just received this totally awesome email...... 

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1713 on: May 20, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »

This is me in the 5th grade.  As you can see I haven't changed much.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1714 on: May 20, 2010, 09:24:48 PM »

San..you are a crackup!

Nut...loved loved loved your story on Rebel!

Klaas...I had received that email a few weeks ago...so cute...sent it out to all my friends by email..

wreck
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1715 on: May 20, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »

You went to school with Austin Powers???? (front row, 2nd from left) 

San
Super Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1716 on: May 20, 2010, 09:28:25 PM »

You went to school with Austin Powers???? (front row, 2nd from left) 

2NJSons_Mom
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1717 on: May 20, 2010, 11:31:42 PM »

Is that the teacher on the right with the blue vest?  If so, looks like a ball of fire...

R.I.P Dear 2NJ - say hi to Peaches for us!

I expect a miracle _Peaches ~ ~ May She Rest In Peace.

SOMEONE KNOWS THE TRUTH  

None of us here just fell off the turnip truck. - Magnolia
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #1718 on: May 21, 2010, 02:22:01 AM »

Sunny - go to this link: http://www.canyonranch.com/

I have never been, but My Girlfriend who is a 20 yr + veteran " Massage Therapist and Licensed Esthetician" who now owns her own Spa in metro Detroit. She went to Canyon Ranch with 2 of her girlfriends.. and she said it was wonderful. That is a lot coming from " A person who normally does the service of Massage". And never receives. She told me that " too " it was WAY over priced for what they offered. She said to all and any after her well deserved vacation " Don't be afraid to venture into the NOT so Commercial Spas. She said that the Women who worked in the smaller type setting Independently run " Spa's" were much more in tune and gave superior services, for a fraction of the price charged - She said You have to ask the Local's .. when your down there. She said Be Bold and Really Ask - Due to the fact there are " Spa's everywhere" almost like fast food joints. Always look for CLEAN - when you walk in the door - and collect Menu's prior to booking services. She said Spa's are a dime a dozen in AZ.

Sunny the rule of thumb within personal care services. Me being a retired spa worker - 8 yrs of experience, Esthetician.  Rule is and always has been - 1 dollar per minute of service rendered is the rule - flat out.  For example you have a manicure 30 mins - it should not cost more than 30.00, Actually for a mani 30.00 is high. If it does cost more than 30.00 your money is going to product/house and etc's that you will never see nor know. Same with Massage - One Hour Massage going rate - is 60.00.
That is with a massage therapist that is " educated" and knows the human body - not a fluff and buffer. When you get into Swedish or hot rock or specialty massage they will charge you more. But truly for a ONE hour massage - should not cost you more than 60.00. Maybe 10 over that - if anything - never more than 70.00/75. for a one hour massage.
My girlfriend Jane's spa * she went to Canyon Ranch - her link. You can see her prices. Even in our depressed area of Metro detroit. Her prices are fair and reasonable. Her having over 20+ years experience as a Massage therapist/Esthetician 10 yrs - she actually does the body work/facials - as well as owns the spa.
http://www.termedayspa.com/index.htm

If you have any questions you can ask me batgirlmonkey@gmail.com - If I can advise you in anyway - I am here.  Nothing like being able to go on Vacation and to enjoy ones self. Finding yourself ripped off while on vacation trying to Enjoy ones self.. not so good.    

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
Deenie
Monkey All Star Jr.

Year of Karma ~ 2009

« Reply #1719 on: May 21, 2010, 02:35:25 AM »

Yikes, Deenie, you better wear your glasses.  If you should get in an accident and it is not your fault, they will blame it on you because your license specifically says you need to wear them.  I would hate to see you lose the house you have been working so hard on.  Besides, if you ever hit anyone or a pet, you would never forgive yourself, always wondering if you would not have done it if you had your glasses on.

So, true, Bearly.  I surrendered my driver's license 4 years ago because of a vision impairment that can't be helped with glasses.  It was my choice.  It got to the point where I was taking the long route home just to avoid traffic situations my vision couldn't handle.  The couple of years before I stopped driving, I only drove locally and that, too, became a white knuckle event so I finally gave in.  I just couldn't 'bear' the thought of hurting anyone or myself.

Now, I have to renew my non-driver ID with the Motor Vehicle Commission...(still want to call it NJDMV...whatever).   They have a 6 point Identification requirement to renew here.  Last time, I had what I thought was enough but I had laminated my Social Security card many, many years ago....that's a no-no....they wouldn't accept it.  Luckily, the check I wrote out had my name and address and they accepted that.  THEN, I had to wait on another line to get my pic taken.  It took a while.  Needless to say, I am not happy I have to go there every 4 years to get a new digital ID. 

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/6PointID.htm

I also heard earlier this week that our Gov. Christie plans to eliminate safety inspections on vehicles....I think they said many other states do not require it.  We've always had it here.  Personally, I think it's alarming that the rules are different from state to state. 

Hi Monks.....

Deenie--I practically have to wear glasses to see my glasses.

NJ--I used to live in PA and we had inspections twice a year.  I always thought it was a good idea.  Now that I live in TN, well......the rules are different here.  No inspections.  I see all kinds of rattletraps on the road which should be in a junkyard.  And the gas emissions!  Some of them practically gas you in your own car if you're behind them.  But we are free spirits and don't like to be told what to do--even by the government.  Especially by the government.
Monks
I am waiting for the call that my Gaga's I call them - are ready for pick up. From Target. Then I can go get my License renewed. I had my " Exam" last Saturday - Good thing too. I am blinder than I was 5 yrs ago .. is Blinder a word?  The Doc said my old script def needed a Tweak.  He said though within his words - I am no where near what the last Doc told me - He said your really not in bad shape within your sight. He said that I do need to " wear" lol my glasses. Yet I am not " gawd awful lacking in vision" as the last doc said I was. Which made me feel better.
Funny thing too - my New glasses/lenses were over 300.00 cheaper with this Doc .. Hmmph. Same place " Same Target / Different Doc". 

" God Bless The Babies Human, Fur, Feathered &  Finned" ~Caylee, Adji, & Sandra Cantu~ Peace~kai~cj *
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.