April 23, 2024, 12:18:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #54 1/21/10 - 6/18/10  (Read 543089 times)
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2010, 03:54:29 AM »

My grandfather was John D. Underwood and I believe his brothr was James Underwood.  There dad was also John Underwood even though my grandad was not a Jr.  I have heard the orphanage was in Memphis and burned up.  I hope it was not during Georgia Tann's reign.  The story bout her is she illegally took kids and adopted them out and destroyed records.  I am hoping this was before her time.

Have no idea if these are yours but only John with father John and brother James  I found in 1880 census in Arkansas:

J. UNDERWOOD   Household

Male   
        Age   33
        Occupation   Farm Hand
        Marital Status   M <Married>
        Race   W <White>
        Head of Household   J. UNDERWOOD
        Relation   Self
        Father's Birthplace   ---
        Mother's Birthplace   MO

NA Film Number   T9-0055
        Page Number   87D 

James UNDERWOOD   Household

Male   
        Age   1
        Occupation   
        Marital Status   S <Single>
        Race   W <White>

Relation   Son
        Father's Birthplace   MO
        Mother's Birthplace   TN

NA Film Number   T9-0055
        Page Number   87D     

John UNDERWOOD   Household

Male   
        Age   13
        Occupation   Farm Hand
        Marital Status   S <Single>
        Race   W <White>

Relation   Son
        Father's Birthplace   MO
        Mother's Birthplace   TN

NA Film Number   T9-0055
        Page Number   87D 

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Hi No Rose,

Do you know if 1880's tax records are public record?  I am interested in a ancestor's tax statements. TIA

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #201 on: January 30, 2010, 05:01:46 AM »

Hertiage Quest is accessible on your home computer with a library card. Census forms from the late 1700's until 1920.
I included the link below explaining HQ.

http://www.madisonpubliclibrary.org/ref/heritagequest/heritagequest.html#whatisheritagequest

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #202 on: January 30, 2010, 05:07:12 AM »

http://www.myarkansasgenealogy.com/ar-county-randolph.html

You need to scroll dow what is available for searches.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #203 on: January 30, 2010, 05:07:53 AM »

Hi seahorse,
 I am not Northern Rose but as far as I know most of them are public. There are a number of ways to find them. Easiest way is to join Ancestry or Genealogy.com As they have lots of information. I have found lots of that on those two sites. They other way is to go to the state/county and town history sites and start looking. Hope that helps. There is a site called Cindys list of Genealogy sites that might help. Or use any search engine and put in the name you want + Genealogy and see what you come up with.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #204 on: January 30, 2010, 05:10:38 AM »

Hertiage Quest is accessible on your home computer with a library card. Census forms from the late 1700's until 1920.

http://www.madisonpubliclibrary.org/ref/heritagequest/heritagequest.html#whatisheritagequest

That is cool seahorse. They didn't have any thing like that when I was doing my research.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2010, 05:30:09 AM »

CBB - I hope you and your son stay safe and warm.  Hopefully there will be no power outages.  I think I remember you saying your son is in an apartment.  Do they have generators?

Also does your son have a walking frame to assist him?  My brother broke his pelvis and has one of those frames/walkers and rails were installed on his bed so he can now get himself out of bed to that walker and into the bathroom.  Doesn't sound like much but it is progress that gives him some independence and dignity that he appreciates.  Also his wife can now leave him alone for short periods.

Take care CBB.   an angelic monkey
Where in the world are you with all that bad weather.  I am in MS and it is cold and rainy but I hope no ice will form.

Mariloo,

Perhaps a news article from past events may be available. Have you tried Randolph, Arkansas, Historical Society?

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2010, 05:34:27 AM »

That is cool seahorse. They didn't have any thing like that when I was doing my research.

Green Eyes,

With the Freedom of Information Act...so much is accessible. The Library of Congress is another source for
genealogy.  Thank-you for Cyndi's list!

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2010, 10:25:43 AM »

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/fortsmith.php

Search the Fort Smith Criminal Records

This series consists of criminal court cases, and contains such material as indictments, bills of information, arrest warrants, writs, subpoenas, appearance bonds, transcripts of proceedings before U.S. commissioners, orders, verdicts, judgments, sentencing orders, and appeal papers.

In these records can be found the criminal cases of such famous outlaws as Belle, Sam, Tom, and Henry Starr (jacket 170); Wyatt Earp (jacket 59); Gad and Emmet Dalton (jacket 55); Rufus Buck (jacket 500); Edgar Watson (jacket 197); Blue Duck (jacket 26); and "Cherokee Bill" Goldsby (jacket 500).

To order copies of a Fort Smith criminal case file, indicate that the case is a Fort Smith criminal case, and provide the name of the defendant and the jacket number. Provide the crime as well if known. Copies cost $10.00 minimum up to 20 pages, $0.50 per page thereafter. Payment can be made by check, money order, or credit card. Do not send cash. Payment must be exact, so credit card payments generally are the most convenient. Please make your requests in writing. Requests are accepted via fax, e-mail, or regular mail. Within the United States, overnight delivery is available for an extra $4.00. Please state in your request that you would like this feature and provide your street address and phone number. Please NOTE: No P.O. Box numbers are accepted.

NARA's Southwest Region (Fort Worth) (NRFFA), 501 West Felix Street, Building 1, Fort Worth, TX 76115-3405 PHONE: 817-334-5525, FAX: 817-334-5621, EMAIL: ftworth.archives@nara.gov

Search the Ft Smith Criminal Records
Last 
First 

(After you press search, the next page you need to scroll down to view names).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need to scroll down to view all the searches

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/arkansas/

Wynton Marsalis~

Zayra is remembered
higherhopes
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2010, 10:07:40 PM »

Hello....here is a picture of Jake at the age of 10 weeks, he is a big boy....I just took this tonight, he weighs 22 pounds now...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:02:45 AM by klaasend » Logged

I don't know, I was at work....I don't know, I was sleeping........Where is Haleigh???????
higherhopes
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »

Oh goodness,   not again, I thought I resized it ,  gracious....lol

I don't know, I was at work....I don't know, I was sleeping........Where is Haleigh???????
GramaMonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »

HH ~  If your resizing in photobucket ... you have to scroll down after resizing and click to save it!!!!  I also got caught a few times, when forgetting to SAVE.

chi-monkey
Scared Monkey

« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »

nonesuche
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »

oh then it's not just me, I uploaded a photo on the football thread direct from my PC and it's HUGE  A monkey no-no.

CBB, NJSons Mom, or MuffyBee.......I've been bad. I posted a snow photo that looks the size of Texas, when you have a chance can you delete it?

Thank you, I promise to behave  an angelic monkey

Would you like to post the pic again, none?    I removed the big one, and was trying not to delete your whole post.   Muffy
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:06:14 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

I continue to stand with the girl.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #213 on: January 31, 2010, 12:03:18 AM »

Hello....here is a picture of Jake at the age of 10 weeks, he is a big boy....I just took this tonight, he weighs 22 pounds now...

He sure has pink ears!  What a cutie!
higherhopes
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #214 on: January 31, 2010, 12:04:31 AM »

Thanks Chi, for resizing my picture for me......and Yes Gramma monkey, I think thats exactly what I did..lol....Ill learn one day...lol

higherhopes
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #215 on: January 31, 2010, 12:08:29 AM »

Hello Monkeys, I just wanted to come here and tell everyone that I will be attending both vigils for HaLeigh, the one in Baker County and the one in Satsuma....I will take pictures and if anyone is interested in seeing them I will have them on photobucket or facebook and will be glad to direct you over....I dont think it would be a good ideal for me to post them in the forum, the last time I did post pictures in the forum I got called names and laufghed at and everything else so if yall wnna see them let me know and I will make sure I put them somewhere where you can...Thanks  HH

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #216 on: January 31, 2010, 12:18:26 AM »

Hello Monkeys, I just wanted to come here and tell everyone that I will be attending both vigils for HaLeigh, the one in Baker County and the one in Satsuma....I will take pictures and if anyone is interested in seeing them I will have them on photobucket or facebook and will be glad to direct you over....I dont think it would be a good ideal for me to post them in the forum, the last time I did post pictures in the forum I got called names and laufghed at and everything else so if yall wnna see them let me know and I will make sure I put them somewhere where you can...Thanks  HH

Thanks HH.  What happened to your puppy?  He got smaller and changed colors, LOLOL  Monkey Devil!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2010, 05:30:26 AM »

http://email.loa.org/sotw_signup_index.jsp?source=SOTW&gclid=CLT417m1zp8CFWEO5QodYney3Q

About The Library of America
The Library of America, a nonprofit publisher, is dedicated to publishing, and keeping in print, authoritative editions of America's best and most significant writing. Best-selling authors published by The Library of America include James Baldwin, Robert Frost, Dashiell Hammett, Zora Neale Hurston, Thomas Jefferson, H. P. Lovecraft, Flannery O'Connor, Thomas Paine, Alexis de Tocqueville, and Walt Whitman.

Every Monday The Library of America features a new Story of the Week. It could be anything: a short work of fiction, a character sketch, an essay, a journalist's dispatch, a poem. It could be Stephen Crane's "The Black Dog" or George Jean Nathan's "Baiting the Umpire." What is certain is that it will be memorable, because every story is from one of the hundreds of classic works of American literature published by The Library of America.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2010, 05:36:33 AM »

Thanks to all for your information.  You have given me some great starters.  My dad was born in 1923, his dad is questionable but I figure at least in 1917 to 1920.  And his father is the one who was supposedly murdered carrying the payroll across the bridge.  The timeline is right in your historical link.  We hae talked about this in my family for years.  This could be the imagination of a boy who grew up in an orphanage.  Who knows?  But, I want to sincerely thank everyone.  I get so bumfuzzled sometimes.I sure would like to know.  My brother said to me before he died, "You know, our last name may not even be what we thought it was."  Geez!!!!!!!!!!

1917-1920 for what, his birth?  It would have to be before that or he would have only been 3-6 years old when your dad was born.  His death?  It could not have been more than 9 months before your dad was born. 

Good luck with your search.   

How did everyone else know she was looking for her relative?  Do you guys have ESP?   

Ummm.   It was being discussed in a missing persons' thread until a wise and experienced  monkey suggested it be brought here, which was the right thing to do.  And it looks  like there are some good suggestions/helps/links.  I hope Mariloo will keep us up to date on what she finds.  I think a thread in the lounge would be interesting.  JMHO

Oh, that was a great idea, Klaas.

Just kidding.  Great idea Miss Bee!!!

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2010, 05:50:30 AM »

Bearly - now when that word is typed at SM it will come out as ++++++ 

Test:

The fire was +++++++ by the water

Smoking will +++++ your growth

Yep....it works.  That "R" word is no longer available at SM

Great idea Klaas.  Thank you Klaas and bearly.

You're welcome.  Everything starts at home!

I believe in miracles!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.