April 23, 2024, 10:46:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #54 1/21/10 - 6/18/10  (Read 543088 times)
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #420 on: February 11, 2010, 05:11:10 PM »

Morning All,

CBB how are you doing?

Bearly Thank You for sharing the link with us.

Grand kids have had all week off from school because of a water main break. Were going back today and we are getting snow. Waiting to see if they are going to get a snow day.

You're welcome, don't forget to pass it on!   

We will have had no school 10 out of 11 days.  We will be going all summer here.   

They say more snow next week!   

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #421 on: February 11, 2010, 05:14:16 PM »

Check your Driver's License!  I already removed mine. I suggest you all do the same. Now you can see anyone's Driver's License on the Internet, including your own!  I just searched for mine and there it was...picture and all!  Thanks Homeland Security ! Go to the web site, and check it out.

It's unbelievable!!! Just enter your name, city and state to see if yours is on file.  After your license comes on the screen, click the box marked "Please Remove." This will remove it from public viewing, but not from law enforcement.

Please notify all your friends so they can protect themselves, too...Believe me they will thank you for it.

http://www.license.shorturl.com/

Bearly, THANK YOU so much for this information. Will be sure to let all my friends and family
know.

So will I!   

Monken, I know you have lots of people you can pass this on to.

an angelic monkey

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #422 on: February 11, 2010, 05:15:39 PM »

Check your Driver's License!  I already removed mine. I suggest you all do the same. Now you can see anyone's Driver's License on the Internet, including your own!  I just searched for mine and there it was...picture and all!  Thanks Homeland Security ! Go to the web site, and check it out.

It's unbelievable!!! Just enter your name, city and state to see if yours is on file.  After your license comes on the screen, click the box marked "Please Remove." This will remove it from public viewing, but not from law enforcement.

Please notify all your friends so they can protect themselves, too...Believe me they will thank you for it.

http://www.license.shorturl.com/

Bearly, THANK YOU so much for this information. Will be sure to let all my friends and family
know.

So will I!   

Bearly,

Thank-you!  My hair looked better on the internet lincense! Someone airbrushed my photo!   

Well, I bet since we are family, all of us monkeys look similar!

I believe in miracles!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #423 on: February 11, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »

Morning All,

CBB how are you doing?

Grand kids have had all week off from school because of a water main break. Were going back today and we are getting snow. Waiting to see if they are going to get a snow day.

We will have had no school 10 out of 11 days.  We will be going all summer here.   

They wont be going tomorrow either so that puts us 5 out of 7. Same here they will have more than a week to make up.  Of course when you tell them it's like no big deal. Just wait until they have to make them up. 

Hope you and son are doing okay. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #424 on: February 11, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »

Morning All,

CBB how are you doing?

They wont be going tomorrow either so that puts us 5 out of 7. Same here they will have more than a week to make up.  Of course when you tell them it's like no big deal. Just wait until they have to make them up. 

We are fine.  How about you?  We get the same reaction here.  Do you have water?

I believe in miracles!
IBE
Monkey Junky

« Reply #425 on: February 11, 2010, 09:21:27 PM »

Looks like a homecoming over on the NH Thread. When there, it said (+1 hidden) just before the # of guests??? How does one become "hidden"?? TIA

Freedom is not free: it also takes ethics, character, accountability, responsibility and courage! Freedom for Scared Monkeys: donate to Red's legal fees.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #426 on: February 11, 2010, 11:01:53 PM »

Looks like a homecoming over on the NH Thread. When there, it said (+1 hidden) just before the # of guests??? How does one become "hidden"?? TIA

Question:  How does one become "hidden"?
Answer:     When one is the tech guy. 

It's great to have you here posting with us again IBE.  I trust you got your computer problems worked out?  We missed you, dear monkey friend.   

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #427 on: February 12, 2010, 05:30:44 AM »

Morning All,

CBB how are you doing?

We are fine.  How about you?  We get the same reaction here.  Do you have water?

Hi Bearly,

We are fine. We have water. Since we live in a rural area the kids are bused about 6 miles to school. Which is another county from the one we live in and our water comes from another water district. Thank Goodness.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
numbersgirl
Monkey Junky

« Reply #428 on: February 12, 2010, 10:43:40 AM »

Prayers for all Monkeys experiencing bad weather.   an angelic monkey  If anyone runs into Al Gore, I'd like to speak with him about his "global warming theory"!   
crazybabyborg
« Reply #429 on: February 13, 2010, 04:05:27 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2a2DQC-ghio&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2a2DQC-ghio&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
crazybabyborg
« Reply #430 on: February 13, 2010, 04:12:42 AM »

With permission from, and help from Klaas! 

How are you IBE? I'm with you! I love seeing everyone there, including you! It just feels like a homecoming!   
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #431 on: February 13, 2010, 07:47:02 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2a2DQC-ghio&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/2a2DQC-ghio&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

I don't know where you found it or how you found it. But to funny Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil! Monkey Devil!

GOD BLESS AMERICA
seahorse
Monkey All Star

Brandi's Avatars

« Reply #432 on: February 13, 2010, 09:45:49 AM »

Hi Monkey's,

Does anyone have any knowledge on outdoor sensor lights, please?

I need sensor light for the 'front lawn lantern' and for the 'front door' outside light.

I called Home Depot, forget about speaking to any human being, especially, being transferred to the right department.

I am looking for a sensor that screws into the outdoor socket.

Thank-you

Wynton Marsalis~
"Let us Give, Forgive, and Be Thankful"

Zayra is remembered
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #433 on: February 13, 2010, 10:22:28 AM »

Hi Monkey's,

I need sensor light for the 'front lawn lantern' and for the 'front door' outside light.

I called Home Depot, forget about speaking to any human being, especially, being transferred to the right department.

Thank-you

Usually the motion detector part is in the unit and not in the bulb.  There are motion detector sockets for INDOOR use only but I haven't found any for OUTDOOR use.  Replacing an outdoor light with a motion detector light fixture isn't very difficult.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xYH2HAFobT0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/xYH2HAFobT0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #434 on: February 13, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »

Hi Monkey's,

Thank-you

If the sensor you need it for a single bulb, yes, Home Depot has them.  They cost from about $9.00 to $14.00, IIRC, and Harbor Freight had them for $4.99.  Other hardware stores or even Target  or Walmart may have them.   Only thing is, on one model I looked at made note on the back of the package not to use if you were putting it in a fixture with a glass globe, because the light from the bulb would reflect back to the sensor and it would think it's daylight when the light would come on at night.  So, be sure to get one that works the way you want it to.  I ended up using a timer on the light switch for the hanging lantern in my front door entry, because I still have a fixture with the three small candleabra lights.  I have been looking to change it to one with a single bulb eventually.  Sometimes CFLs can affect timers (and dimmers) and the won't work right, because they don't come on/power up as quickly.  Some new CFL's are now dimmable and they will say so on the package, but I'm not sure about timers.  My DH wired a photocell box for the four lights on columns at the front of my house, and it doesn't like CFLS.  The lights don't come on but they will go off with the photocell.  Again, I think it's because of the slow start of the CFLS.  I've even seen new light fixtures that have the photocell built into them.  Anyway, this is probably more than you want to know.  Home Depot also has a website and you can look at things on there-HomeDepot.com  And as far as finding help IN the store, good luck.  Sometimes I can find someone that knows about things, and that person is worth their weight in gold.  Sometimes you can go to a smaller hardware store if one is still in your area, and they are helpful.  Also, there's always the web. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #435 on: February 13, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »

BTW Seahorse if you go to Home Depot to pick up one of those sensors, they weren't with the light bulbs.  They were on another aisle, over by where the light switches and stuff are, at least in the Home Depot near me. 

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #436 on: February 13, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »

I just got this catalog in the mail and noticed this outdoor wireless motion activated light:

http://www.firststreetonline.com/Home+Solutions/Lighting/Indoor+Outdoor+Motion+LED+Light.axd

Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #437 on: February 13, 2010, 06:54:15 PM »

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20100212/US.United.States.of.Snow/

49 states dusted with snow; Hawaii's the holdout
By SETH BORENSTEIN, AP

Forget red and blue — color America white. There was snow on the ground in 49 states Friday. Hawaii was the holdout. It was the United States of Snow, thanks to an unusual combination of weather patterns that dusted the U.S., including the skyscrapers of Dallas, the peach trees of Atlanta and the Florida Panhandle, where hurricanes are more common than snowflakes.

More than two-thirds of the nation's land mass had snow on the ground when the day dawned, and then it snowed ever so slightly in Florida to make it 49 states out of 50.

At the same time, those weird weather forces are turning Canada's Winter Olympics into the bring-your-own-snow games.

Who's the Great White North now?

"I'm calling it the upside-down winter," said David Robinson, head of the Global Snow Lab at Rutgers University in New Jersey.

Snow paralyzed and fascinated the Deep South on Friday. Snowball fights broke out at Southern Mississippi University, snow delayed flights at the busy Atlanta airport, and Louisiana hardware stores ran out of snow supplies. Andalusia, Ala., shut down its streets because of snow. And yet, Portland, Maine, where snow is usually a given, had to cancel its winter festival for lack of the stuff.

Weather geeks turned their eyes to Hawaii. In that tropical paradise, where a ski club strangely exists, observers were looking closely at the islands' mountain peaks to see if they could find a trace of white to make it a rare 50-for-50 states with snow. But there was no snow in sight.

Hawaii's 13,800-foot Mauna Kea volcano, which often gets snow much of the year at its higher elevations, is the most likely place in the 50th state to have snow, but there "is nothing right now," said research meteorologist Tiziana Cherubini at the Mauna Kea Weather Center. It has been a few weeks since there has been snow in the mountains, and none is in the forecast, ruining a perfect 50-for-50, she said.

The idea of 50 states with snow is so strange that the federal office that collects weather statistics doesn't keep track of that number and can't say whether it has ever happened. The office can't even say whether 49 out of 50 has ever taken place before.

Snow experts at the Global Snow Lab were combing their records but said it may be days before they find out if there has ever been a 50-for-50 snow day. Their best suspect — Jan. 19, 1977 — had snow in Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, but then Robinson looked for snow in South Carolina and couldn't find any.

As of early Friday morning, 67.1 percent of the U.S. had snow on the ground, with the average depth a healthy 8 inches. Normally, about 40 or 50 percent of the U.S. has snow cover this time of year, Robinson said.

It snowed for only 10 minutes in Century, Fla., just north of Pensacola, barely enough to scrape a few snowballs from the hood of a truck. But that was enough for 6-year-old Kaleb Pace.

"I've only ever seen snow on TV till now," Kaleb said, smiling.

This is after a month that saw the most snow cover for any December in North America in the 43 years that records have been kept. And then came January 2010, which ranked No. 8 among all months for North American snow cover, with more than 7.03 million square miles of white.

The all-time record is February 1978, with 7.31 million square miles. There is a chance this February could break that. There is also a chance that this could go down as the week with the most snow cover on record, Robinson said.

Stay tuned. The weather pattern is in a snow rut.

At least in Washington, where snow is now measured by the yardstick, more snow may be coming soon. It looks like a little more snow on Monday and maybe a lot more about a week or so after that.

"As long as this pattern persists we have potential for additional storms," said Dan Peterson, lead winter weather forecaster at the National Weather Service prediction center in Camp Springs, Md.

To count as snow cover, snow has to stick on the ground and be recorded at special stations at specific times when meteorologists check, Robinson said.

The strange snowfall pattern is produced by the El Nino weather phenomenon and its Arctic counterpart, Robinson and Petersen said.

During moderate to strong El Ninos like the current one, more moisture is pumped into the subtropical jet stream across the South, increasing precipitation, Robinson said. Then there's the Arctic Oscillation, the Northern cousin to El Nino, which shifts cold polar air south. That cold air can turn a rainstorm into a snowstorm.

A snowy winter doesn't disprove — or prove — global warming, Petersen and Robinson said. This is weather, which is variable, not long-term climate, and there is a huge difference.

"This has nothing to do with long-term trends," Petersen said. "This is just a several-week period."

Patrick Marsh, who is working on his doctorate in meteorology at the University of Oklahoma, has been trying to collect photos of snow on the ground in all 49 or 50 states. After his effort was publicized, he was flooded with photos and videos.

"It just shows that deep down inside, all of us is a weather weenie, a weather fanatic," Marsh said. "This is just an awesome weather event."

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #438 on: February 13, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »

Morning All,

CBB how are you doing?

Hi Bearly,

We are fine. We have water. Since we live in a rural area the kids are bused about 6 miles to school. Which is another county from the one we live in and our water comes from another water district. Thank Goodness.

That's far.  How long does it take the kids to get to school in the morning?  Glad you have water.

I believe in miracles!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #439 on: February 13, 2010, 07:32:10 PM »

Anna,check out this post I left over in the UAH shooting thread.
http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=7115.20

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.