April 17, 2024, 09:42:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MONKEY MUSINGS DAILY OPEN DISCUSSION #54 1/21/10 - 6/18/10  (Read 542925 times)
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1960 on: June 16, 2010, 05:31:28 AM »

SteveDinMD

Fully respect your opinion and you present the other side of the coin.

I still hold my opinion on well planned adventuring by young people.
What does it add for US today ? Nothing. Like running the 4 minute mile.. what does that prove ? How does it help humanity ? It does not.. But once one person did it many more have. It is like breaking the barrier.

We are busy educating our children for jobs that do not even exist yet. Math so high I can't help my 14 year old in her homework.. We have no idea of what the future brings. It is hard for me to say Abby brings or adds nothing.
Maybe the next generation will do the same kind of Adventure in homebuilt crafts in space.. What will they bring to our table by doing so ?
Hard to say.. But Your opinion is definite and respected.

20 years ago you would not even have considered how we are communicating worldwide live on the moment today.

Edward: 

It's easy to get caught up in the thrill of the adventure.  It's exciting.  It's romantic, and it hearkens back to childhood daydreams of long ago.  Abby might be a competent sailor, but her expedition was hardly well planned and executed.  If it were, she wouldn't have been sailing the "Roaring Forties" of the Southern Ocean at this time of year, she wouldn't have met with disaster, and she wouldn't have needed to be rescued.  In fact, the only reason she could even contemplate undertaking such an adventure was on account of vast networks of assistance she could implicitly rely on to ease her way.  Those networks were established and publicly financed for the exclusive purpose of mitigating the risks faced by those with legitimate business plying the world's oceans -- NOT for the purpose of saving fools from themselves.  Had this been a "voyage of discovery" in the true sense of the term, Abby would have sailed off into oblivion, never to be seen or heard from again.  Fortunately, neither she nor anyone else died on account of her folly. 
        This case reminds me of the situation ~15 years ago when there was a "competition" among those attempting to become the youngest to fly across North America.  At that time, there were a succession of ever younger record holders until, at one point, a 7 year old boy crashed his plane on takeoff killing himself, his father, and his flight instructor during one such attempt.  With dozens of would-be record holders making ready their own attempts, this sad and dangerous state of affairs ended only when Congress modified the laws to set a minimum age for those operating an aircraft. 
        Perhaps the time has come to modify U.S. maritime laws, as well.  Currently, there are NO licensing requirements for those operating certain vessels, among them most pleasurecraft.  Perhaps it should now be mandated that any vessel operating in U.S. territorial waters beyond three miles from shore be under the command of a maritime license holder who must remain on board at all times.  It should perhaps be further mandated that no one be granted such license until having at least attained the age of 18 years, effectively preventing future instances of child endangerment, or at least those originating from U.S. shores. 
    By the way, 20 years ago, I could certainly imagine communicating as we do now, because I was among those developing some of the technologies upon which the Telecomm Revolution was based.  In all the years I've worked in Government and industrial laboratories, not once did I ever encounter a child as a member of any development team I ever ran across.  The future is right now being invented by skilled, experienced, and well-directed ADULTS, not by capricious children.  It is the duty of youth to LEARN and of experience to TEACH.  Such has it ever been, and we would do well as a people to keep it so. 

I suppose it's only in the Bible where is says..."and a child should lead them."

The full quote is:  "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them."  -- Isaiah 11:6

The Bible also says, "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." -- I Corinthians 13:11 which is a more applicable citation for purposes of the discussion at hand. 

I would be hard-pressed to come up with the most appropriate quote for this misadventure, but God had his hand over this child, protecting her from the elements and directing her rescuers to her.

There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.
Time spent with monkeys is never wasted. 
I believe in miracles!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1961 on: June 16, 2010, 05:41:11 AM »

The full quote is:  "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them."  -- Isaiah 11:6

The Bible also says, "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." -- I Corinthians 13:11 which is a more applicable citation for purposes of the discussion at hand.  

I would be hard-pressed to come up with the most appropriate quote for this misadventure, but God had his hand over this child, protecting her from the elements and directing her rescuers to her.

I agree with you Bearly Gods hand was there with her..  Although I wonder at times about young children having these adventures. Is it them or their parents. The only thing I have or had such passion for was being a mother. But they have the right to try and accomplish them. Just because I might not agree with what they are doing doesn't make it right or wrong. IMO
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:08:46 AM by Bearlyhere » Logged

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1962 on: June 16, 2010, 06:01:54 AM »

From Farmers Almanac
http://www.farmersalmanac.com/

June 15th
Bake, Cut Firewood, Cut Hair to Increase Growth, Mow to Increase Growth, Dig Holes, Wax Floors, Get Married, Start Diet to Gain Weight, Buy a Home

June 2010
14th-15th Plant Tomatoes, Beans, Peppers, Corn, Cotton, And Other Above Ground Crops On These Most Fruitful Days. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens

Bug Bite? Reach for the toothpaste.
Warmer weather means more outdoor time and more bugs. Find out how to easily take the sting out of the season.

Read more at the site's front page. Neat stuff for bug bites.

Meat tenderizer mixed with water to make a paste is absolutely terrific.

Prayers for all of those in harm's way due to floods, quakes, and BP.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1963 on: June 16, 2010, 06:05:34 AM »

Hey everyone!!! I've been here in the background constantly reading Natalee's thread since the news broke. I was getting ready to post a cake pic that day when i saw Klaas's post telling someone to go to Natalee's thread! Of course i had to go see what was up!! Smile I tried posting the first few days but always got bumped out, it's much better now but I need to know if I can post cake pics or if it would be better not to.
KLAAS,BEARLY,MUFFY or anyone who knows, please let me know if it's good idea to post the pictures or if I should wait awhile. My hubby has been out cutting grass today but the heat is just about unbearable( I think i must live near Anna Smile ! Mid 90's & "feels like" temps around 105. I keep wanting to weed my flower beds but when I walk outside it's easy to change your mind!! Maybe I'll get to them before dark. Anyways, I'm here on the top vine, as always, Love you all!!!  

Can't wait!

Morning Bearly  Hugs  Monken posted her pictures. Yummy like always.Smile

Good morning, beautiful Green Eyes!

I am going to Monken's thread next.

Monken, you should put the address to your cake thread in your signature line then we can all just pop into it.  You don't want us drooling all over our keyboards in anticipation.

I believe in miracles!
Bearlyhere
Asst Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1964 on: June 16, 2010, 06:12:57 AM »

The full quote is:  "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them."  -- Isaiah 11:6

I agree with you Bearly Gods hand was there with her..  Although I wonder at times about young children having these adventures. Is it them or their parents. The only thing I have or had such passion for was being a mother. But they have the right to try and accomplish them. Just because I might not agree with what they are doing doesn't make it right or wrong. IMO

There is just so much competition in our childrens' lives.  It is great to have goals, but when you have to involve others who may not want to be part of your plan, they should be considered.  First, make sure the child is going to be safe.  This trip was not safe from what I understand.  Don't put your children at risk.

I believe in miracles!
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1965 on: June 16, 2010, 07:55:02 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/Broadcast/student-autism-class-salutatorian-delivers-high-school-graduation/story?id=10933858&page=2

Autistic Salutatorian Delivers High School Graduation Speech
Rhode Island High Schooler Leads Class Despite Speech Struggle

1 comment
By BRADLEY BLACKBURN
June 16, 2010
Eric Duquette is the salutatorian of his high school, an honor student, a musician, and he has autism.
 The 18-year-old Duquette, who couldn't say a word until age five, gave the commencement speech at his high school graduation ceremony Tuesday night in Smithfield, Rhode Island.

"My parents were told I would most likely end up in an institution," said Duquette. "I stand before you accepted into every institution of higher learning I applied to."

He stood at the podium wearing a green cap and gown and a big grin on his face. His speech, funny and touching, was met with enthusiastic applause from his peers.

Duquette graduated from Smithfield High School with the second-highest grade point average in a class of just under 200 students. He will attend Rhode Island College in the fall, with plans to study biology and eventually become a pharmacist.
"Tonight is all about reflection and looking forward to the journeys that lie ahead of us," he said.

It's been quite a journey for Eric. His success in high school came after years of work and slow progress. Diagnosed with autism when he was a young child, Duquette struggled with communication and language.
Mother's Dedication Gives Gift of Speech

His mother, Judith Duquette, began working with him early to break down his communication barrier with speech therapy. In addition to professional therapy, mother taught son using sign language and cards with pictures and symbols.

Despite his early struggles with speech, today he speaks both English and Spanish. He's a member of the Spanish National Honor Society and placed 93rd in the nation on the Spanish V exam.

Judy Duquette combs her son Eric's hair before he delivers his graduation speech.
Photo credit: The Valley Breeze

"Daniel Webster wrote that 'if my possessions were taken from me with one exception, I would choose to keep the power of communication, for by it I would soon regain all the rest,'" Duquette said at the podium. "For me, learning to communicate did mean regaining all the rest."
Salutatorian with Autism Gives High School Graduation Speech

Listing the scholarships and college acceptances he's received, Duquette said that he hoped to inspire his fellow students.

"I tell you this so you do not allow yourself or others to be defined by your limitations but rather abilities. Never underestimate yourself," he said.

Eric Duquette delivers his graduation speech to classmates from Smithfield High School in Rhode Island. "My parents were told I would most likely end up in an institution," he said. "I stand before you accepted into every institution of higher learning I applied to." Collapse
(The Valley Breeze)
After the ceremony, Duquette told ABC News he was proud of his performance.

"I think I perfectly encompassed the compassion and spirit of Smithfield High School through each and every single one of my words," he said.

Eric Duquette, 18, receives his diploma during the Smithfield High School graduation ceremony on June 15, 2010.
Photo credit: Lee Walsche/Lifetouch National School Studios

ERIC ROCKS!!!!  Smile

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
SuzieQ
Monkey Junky

Justice for Natalee

« Reply #1966 on: June 16, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »

He sure does! Way to go Eric.

2 4 1
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #1967 on: June 17, 2010, 01:05:55 AM »

Please say a little prayer for my lab Blondie, she's as sweet as the day is long...and she's also having trouble hearing these days because she's old.  She was sleeping behind my car this morning when I started to leave and I didn't see her..and she didn't hear me, I backed over her paw.  My boys (thank goodness for them) rushed her to the vet for me.  Fortunately nothing is broken but she has nerve paralysis in her paw.  The vet is keeping her to do some therapy for the next couple days.  I feel horrible about it, and am praying that she'll be o.k.

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1968 on: June 17, 2010, 07:24:30 AM »

Please say a little prayer for my lab Blondie, she's as sweet as the day is long...and she's also having trouble hearing these days because she's old.  She was sleeping behind my car this morning when I started to leave and I didn't see her..and she didn't hear me, I backed over her paw.  My boys (thank goodness for them) rushed her to the vet for me.  Fortunately nothing is broken but she has nerve paralysis in her paw.  The vet is keeping her to do some therapy for the next couple days.  I feel horrible about it, and am praying that she'll be o.k.

sorry about your pup...
at least she is going to be ok! xxxx have faith! she will be alright...

can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1969 on: June 17, 2010, 08:45:53 AM »

Oh, poor baby.   Thank goodness it was just her paw. 
Our doggie has lost her hearing too.  She doesn't even "sense" when you're near her anymore unless you're in front of her and she's awake and sees you.
Thoughts of you texasmom, and Blondie!
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1970 on: June 17, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »

Oh texasmom  Prayers headed your way for you and your furbaby.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1971 on: June 17, 2010, 09:05:04 AM »

Thank you Trimm for the wonderful story on Eric. Yeah for Eric and his mom. It sure does the heart good to have such wonderful stories with happy endings. Although it's really not the end it's just the beginning of a life for such a great young man.

GOD BLESS AMERICA
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1972 on: June 17, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »

My thoughts and prayers for Blondie and you and your family. I feel so bad that you feel horrible, it was an accident, but I know that I would feel the same way. Take care and I'm sure Blondie will be fine.
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1973 on: June 17, 2010, 06:49:13 PM »

I'm hoping and praying Blondie will show improvement soon with the vets' therapy, texasmom. I'm glad to hear nothing is broken.   Please keep us posted with her progress. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #1974 on: June 17, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers for Blondie, I really do appreciate it.  It's such a comfort to know that others are sending prayers up too.  I'm out of town but I called to check on her today.  The vet re-xrayed and there is a crack in her leg bone higher up.  She'll be in a splint for two weeks, and then he will recheck her. She's coming home tomorrow, and I hope to be home by midnight from my trip to see her.  My boys know that I expect her to be thoroughly pampered, and for her to be given lots of her favorite treats until I can get there to take over! 

She is such a sweetie, thanks again for keeping her in your prayers. 

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1975 on: June 17, 2010, 11:15:41 PM »

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers for Blondie, I really do appreciate it.  It's such a comfort to know that others are sending prayers up too.  I'm out of town but I called to check on her today.  The vet re-xrayed and there is a crack in her leg bone higher up.  She'll be in a splint for two weeks, and then he will recheck her. She's coming home tomorrow, and I hope to be home by midnight from my trip to see her.  My boys know that I expect her to be thoroughly pampered, and for her to be given lots of her favorite treats until I can get there to take over! 

I'll bet you can't wait to get home so you can be with Blondie and give her some lovin' and attention.  It's really unfortunate about the crack in her leg, but it's good the vet re-xrayed and caught it so it can be treated.  Sounds like you have a great crew at home to look after her until you can get home. Hope Blondie gets well soon. 

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
NM
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1976 on: June 18, 2010, 08:00:55 AM »

Sorry Monks to just jump in.

Klaas,
The Lakers will be appearing on the Wheaties box in late July.
I know it is like a NG Bombshell! lol.

Glenda wrote: "aruba's job was not to babysit Beth's daughter. Beth sent her daughter to swim with the sharks, she is responsible for what ever happened to Natalee." = there is no homicide in aruba, only SUICIDE.  Don't go to aruba if you value your life.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1977 on: June 18, 2010, 08:22:02 AM »

Sorry Monks to just jump in.

Klaas,
The Lakers will be appearing on the Wheaties box in late July.
I know it is like a NG Bombshell! lol.

Monkey laugh NM. Love the NG Bombshell. Smile

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1978 on: June 18, 2010, 08:26:22 AM »

texasmom  I am sorry to hear Blondie has a small crack on her leg. But happy the found it so they could splint her leg.  I am sure you can hardly wait to get home to see for yourself she is all right. ((( Hugs)))

GOD BLESS AMERICA
can
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #1979 on: June 18, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »

Thanks for the update on Blondie texasmom.  Good to hear she will be home to greet you when you return.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.