April 26, 2024, 06:58:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Convicted child molester released, says hes better now  (Read 4200 times)
Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: November 25, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »

Not sure where to put this. This is a horrible crime in the making. You have no idea how close to this man I work and live.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091125/A_NEWS/911250324/-1/a_news#STS=g2gqemhb.r38

Convicted child molester says he's changed his ways
Man, 50, had been in state mental hospital for assaulting two boys; he was released in Manteca
Print this Article Email this Article Text Size: A | A | A

By Scott Smith
Record Staff Writer
November 25, 2009 12:00 AMSTOCKTON - A man set free by a jury this week after years in a state mental hospital for sexually assaulting two boys - one in Manteca - said he's no longer a danger to society.

Dwayne Smith, 50, said Tuesday he is a different man from the person once labeled a sexually violent predator. A combination of treatment, an antidepressant drug and religion helps him keep himself in check, he said.

"They don't have to be concerned for me," Smith said. "I'm not as young as I used to be."

He agreed to an interview Tuesday at his father and stepmother's mobile home in Manteca after being released from the San Joaquin County Jail. He had been incarcerated for the past 22 years.

Jurors believed he is no longer a threat. After a three-week trial, they decided it was time to let Smith go free. The decision drew a prosecutor's concerns. The lack of a support system for somebody such as Smith drew criticism from his attorney.

Smith was convicted of luring an 8-year-old Manteca boy in 1987 into his van and sodomizing him. He was on parole at the time for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old boy in 1983 at knife point in Los Angeles.

Doctors have diagnosed Smith with schizotypal personality disorder, a condition in which a person experiences extreme anxiety in social situations, responds inappropriately to social cues and holds peculiar beliefs.

Smith was among the first in California incarcerated at a maximum security state hospital under the sexually violent predator law adopted in 1996. After his state prison term ended, jurors at least twice committed him.

But on Monday, Smith learned he didn't have to spend any more time at the Coalinga State Hospital.

San Joaquin County Deputy District Attorney Grant Brooks said he believes Smith is still a pedophile. Smith was initially locked up for violently assaulting boys he didn't know.

"We're talking about a sexual preference," Brooks said. "It doesn't go away. It doesn't change."

Brooks said jurors told him they worried about the expense and that Smith had not exhibited recent behavior that showed he was a threat.

"For better or worse, the community has spoken," Brooks said.

Attorney Vittoria Bossi said the jury made the right decision. They listened to doctors testify about Smith, who himself took the witness stand for more than a day. After that, the jury made its decision.

Bossi's criticism is that the criminal justice system in California doesn't provide any support for people such as Smith. He is under no parole supervision nor required counseling.

She urged citizens to contact their legislators. Somebody such as Smith should have supervised housing upon release, where he could sleep in a secure place at night and be allowed to leave during the day with GPS tracking, she said.

Smith's 84-year-old father, Donald Smith, said he can barely make his own way and had no means or space to help his son. Bossi said she is making arrangements for her client.

"He will not be under a bridge," Bossi said. She has found a place for him to live outside of San Joaquin County, but she declined to say where.

In court Tuesday morning, San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Richard Mallett told Smith to stay away from children and to register every three months as a sexual offender, according to the laws.

"You cannot afford any legal entanglements of any kind," Mallett told Smith, who replied that he understood. A misstep as simple as failing to register could result in more state prison time, Mallett told Smith.

Sitting at the kitchen table of his father's mobile home, Smith said he acknowledges his crimes but says they were so long ago. He now takes Zoloft, which suppresses his sexual desires, and in 1993 he became a Christian, he said.

He learned to read and write since being locked up. Now, he's adjusting to life outside an institution after so many years. He looked around the kitchen and noted the color on the walls - a contrast to blank prison walls.

"I want to get me a job and a nice little house," he said, still wearing the beige T-shirt and shorts from the mental hospital. He doesn't plan on removing a plastic identification bracelet on his left arm.
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 09:04:15 PM »

scary chit!

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:34:40 PM »

He'll do it again. It's not a question of if ... it is a question of when. There is no 'cure'. This is our painfully pathetic Injustice system Rolling Eyes 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:29:54 PM »

He'll do it again. It's not a question of if ... it is a question of when. There is no 'cure'. This is our painfully pathetic Injustice system Rolling Eyes 

I agree Nut...it will happen again...sadly for our innocent children..

Tracygirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 06:40:28 PM »

I just couldn't believe it. He was put on Zoloft, found God and now he is all better? How flippin stupid. He also has psychizophrenia so no telling if this God of his will be telling him he must do it again. 
Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 10:50:47 PM »

I just couldn't believe it. He was put on Zoloft, found God and now he is all better? How flippin stupid. He also has psychizophrenia so no telling if this God of his will be telling him he must do it again. 

Tracygirl, what struck me a pathetic was he said he wasn't as young as he used to be, therefore no threat.  Age, as we know, hasn't got anything to do with it.  There is no cure.  How sad for everyone.

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »

A man set free by a jury this week after years in a state mental hospital for sexually assaulting two boys -

Dwayne Smith, 50, said Tuesday he is a different man from the person once labeled a sexually violent predator

how did he end up in the state mental hospital, and not jail, so does he still
have to register

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »

A man set free by a jury this week after years in a state mental hospital for sexually assaulting two boys -

Dwayne Smith, 50, said Tuesday he is a different man from the person once labeled a sexually violent predator

have to register

yes...and why is he out of a mental hospital and didn't have to go straight to jail to serve a sentence in there for molesting a child?

Sister
Monkey All Star Jr.

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 10:27:09 PM »

have to register

yes...and why is he out of a mental hospital and didn't have to go straight to jail to serve a sentence in there for molesting a child?

snipped from aove article:
Smith was among the first in California incarcerated at a maximum security state hospital under the sexually violent predator law adopted in 1996. After his state prison term ended, jurors at least twice committed him.

His bleeding heart attorney needs to be e-mailed every week and asked if she knows where he is -- he has no support system at all, but according to her, he won't be sleeping under a bridge.  That's nice.  Maybe she is going to take responsibility for him.  Yeah, when pigs fly.

cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »

have to register

snipped from aove article:

His bleeding heart attorney needs to be e-mailed every week and asked if she knows where he is -- he has no support system at all, but according to her, he won't be sleeping under a bridge.  That's nice.  Maybe she is going to take responsibility for him.  Yeah, when pigs fly.

maybe she should move him into her neighborhood or in her back yard.. around her own family...see how safe she feels then

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.