April 26, 2024, 02:28:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Autopsies scheduled on 4 found dead near Chicago  (Read 1860 times)
cw618
Monkey Junky

« on: November 26, 2009, 05:11:33 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/26/illinois.four.dead/

Autopsies scheduled on 4 found dead near Chicago
November 26, 2009 12:07 p.m. EST

Chicago, Illinois (CNN) -- A coroner's office plans to conduct autopsies Thursday on four people who were found
 dead in a home in suburban Chicago.

A man, a woman and two boys were found dead Wednesday in a house in Addison, Illinois, just west of Chicago,
according to a statement from the DuPage County Coroner's Office.

CNN affiliate WGN identified the four as 48-year-old Thomas Mangiantini, his wife Elizabeth, 46, and the couple's
 two sons, Angelo and Tommy. The station said Mangiantini was a printer and a baseball coach in Addison.

A preliminary investigation indicates that the incident "is isolated to this address," and "resident(s) should not
 be alarmed that further acts of violence will occur as a result of this incident," the coroner's office said in
a statement.

Investigators found shell casings near the bodies, Addison Police Chief Tim Hayden said Wednesday, but the cause
of death was still under investigation, WGN reported.

Police received a 911 call from a woman at 6:30 a.m. Wednesday, WGN said. When officers arrived they found a
female dead downstairs and the bodies of three males upstairs, according to WGN.

The Mangiantinis put out their Christmas decorations the day before they were found dead, the station reported.

mods if this does not go here, put it where it goes thanks

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 07:13:06 AM »

Addison suicide-murders: Dad left message telling of his distress

Message doesn't cite money woes or marital problems, police chief says

Thomas Mangiantini left a "somewhat distraught" note that offers a clue to why he fatally shot his wife and two sons before killing himself in their Addison home, police said Thursday.

Addison Police Chief Tim Hayden said the one-page, handwritten note discovered by police late Wednesday did not allude to any financial problems or troubles in the Mangiantini marriage, but he would not disclose the actual contents because he had not discussed it with family members. The DuPage County coroner, who performed the autopsies Thursday, said Mangiantini, 48, put a gun in his mouth after shooting his wife, Elizabeth, 46, once in the head. Mangiantini also shot his son Thomas Jr., 8, once in the head, and his other son, Angelo, 12, suffered multiple gunshot wounds in the head.

A preliminary police investigation indicates the family did not have issues with credit card debt or face the possibility of losing their home to foreclosure, Hayden said.

"He didn't mention financial problems in the note," Hayden said, refuting reports that Mangiantini had recently lost his printing job. But police and friends said his hours had been reduced and his wife had been laid off in the spring from Ford Motor Co.

"She had a severance period; following that she could have applied for unemployment. The father was still employed," Hayden said.

DuPage County records showed no filings for separation of marriage or prior domestic contact with police, Hayden said. Two guns were recovered from the scene, both of which police say Mangiantini used. Authorities have not determined to whom the guns were registered, Hayden said. Two shots were heard in the background of the desperate 911 call that Elizabeth Mangiantini made around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday.

"It was just a few short words. It was something to the effect of, 'Please help me. Help me, help me,' " Hayden said.

The boys were found upstairs in their beds in a shared bedroom. Thomas Mangiantini also was found in an upstairs bedroom, and his wife was discovered in a hallway downstairs. Hayden said she had no signs of defensive wounds.

Addison police continued to process the scene Thursday and plan to continue through Saturday, Hayden said, adding, "Something will reveal itself as the investigation moves along."

The family were members of St. Philip the Apostle Catholic Church in Addison, where prayers were offered for them during Thanksgiving Mass, said the Rev. Mark Jendrysik.

"Today, there were a lot of tears being shared before and after Mass," he said.

Jendrysik said the family regularly attended Mass and many church functions. Thomas Jr. and Angelo were in the religious education program.

"Angelo was always very active, involved in the discussions and eager to know more," Jendrysik said. "Tommy wanted to play the part of Jesus, because that's who he wanted to be like."

The deaths weighed heavily on neighbors, with some deciding to move their Thanksgiving meals to other locations, said next-door neighbor Dorothy Savaglio, one who made the change.

"We don't want to have the kids see the crime tape. We're supposed to be thankful today," she said, adding that it would be difficult to explain to children who knew the Mangiantini boys why they won't see their friends at school on Monday.

John Langton, superintendent of Addison School District 4, said Tommy was a second-grader at Fullerton Elementary School, and Angelo was in sixth grade at Indian Trail Junior High School.

Elizabeth Mangiantini was active in the PTA at Fullerton, Langton said.

"I know that once she lost her job, as difficult as that was for the family, I've had a couple people tell me that she was excited to be a stay-at-home mom," he said.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-addison-four-27-nov27,0,4950807.story

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.