April 16, 2024, 02:45:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Devon Hollahan, American English Teacher Vanishes in Germany(BODY FOUND)  (Read 31996 times)
cw618
Monkey Junky

« on: November 27, 2009, 07:40:46 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/11/27/crimesider/entry5799643.shtml

Devon Hollahan, American English Teacher Vanishes in Germany After Concert
Posted by Edecio Martinez

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (CBS/AP) Devon Hollahan, a 22-year-old Arizona man who teaches English overseas, vanished during
a concert in Germany last weekend. Now his father is fighting to find him and bring him home safely.

Hollahan was last seen at around 3 a.m. Nov. 21 after a concert in Frankfurt, Germany. He was traveling back to a
hostel with his friend Josh Friedman, who stopped to ask for directions. When the friend turned back around,
Hollahan was gone.

"He had kind of a reputation for sort of disappearing," said Friedman. "So when I turned around and he wasn't there,
that was my first thought - 'Oh, he did it again.'"

But when Hollahan didn't show up the next day or return texts or emails, Friedman became worried.

Hollahan's father, Jeff Hollahan, has been on a desperate mission to find his son ever since.

"No clues, no credit card transactions, no cell phone activity, nothing at this point that would indicate to us that
anything that might have happened," Jeff Hollahan told CBS News' Debbye Turner Bell. "It's all pure speculation."

It's "every parent's worst nightmare," he told NBC's "Today" show on Friday.

Frankfurt police are now investigating and have appealed for information into Hollahan's disappearance.

Jeff Hollahan plans to travel Sunday from his home in Scottsdale, Ariz., to Germany to help search for his son.

Devon Hollahan had been teaching English in Prague since July.

can people in Germany get to this fourm

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:02:16 AM by klaasend » Logged

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/local/scottsdale/germany-missing-man-11-25-2009
Video Available at above link
Scottsdale Man Working Overseas Goes Missing in Germany

Updated: Wednesday, 25 Nov 2009, 9:14 PM MST
Published : Wednesday, 25 Nov 2009, 5:51 PM MST

FRANKFURT - A 22-year-old Scottsdale man who was working in Prague has vanished after a concert in Germany, and now his father is turning to social networking to find him.

Jeff Hollahan says his son Devon hasn't been heard from for five days.

22-year-old Devon Hollahan was born and raised in Scottsdale. Five months after graduating, he moved to Prague, Czech Republic for a job teaching English.

This past weekend, Devon took a train to Frankfurt with a friend to see a concert. After the concert, Devon's friend says they were on their way to a hostel and had trouble finding it. Devon's friend turned to ask some locals for directions, and when he turned back, Devon was gone.

"There's been no cell phone activity, no credit card activity. He belongs to several online sites… nobody has heard from or seen him since about 3 a.m. Saturday in Frankfurt," says Jeff Hollahan. "He's independent but not to the point where he would pretty much drop off the grid like he's done."

Jeff Hollahan is now working with the U.S. Consulate along with German Police. He says people in Frankfurt are handing out flyers with Devon's picture, in hopes that someone will recognize him.

If Devon isn't found soon, his dad is set to leave for Germany next Sunday to help coordinate search efforts.

More information on missing Devon Hollahan: http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=139486

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 08:08:38 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aOapSMu3e7pE

Morgan Stanley Banker’s Son Disappears in Frankfurt (Update1)

By Karin Matussek and Aaron Kirchfeld

Nov. 27 (Bloomberg) -- A Morgan Stanley executive’s son was reported missing in Frankfurt, German police said.

Devon Hollahan, 22, hasn’t been seen since he was separated from a friend after attending a concert on the night of Nov. 20 in Frankfurt, according to a missing persons note on the police’s Web site. The man is the son of Morgan Stanley banker Jeffrey Hollahan, police spokesman Andre Sturmeid said.

“For us, this is a just a normal missing person case at this point,” said Sturmeid. “He may have simply run away, become the victim of an accident or a crime or something else may have happened. We are investigating all possibilities.”

Frankfurt has in recent years been rocked by kidnappings of family members of businessmen. The 11-year-old son of banker Friedrich von Metzler was kidnapped and killed in 2002. Jakub Fiszman, 40, was abducted and killed in the Frankfurt area in 1996. The killers in both cases tried to extort ransoms from the families, were caught and sentenced to life in prison.

The younger Hollahan, a U.S. citizen, was visiting Frankfurt from Prague, where he lives and works as a teacher, according to the police. Morgan Stanley spokeswoman Elke Strothmann declined to comment.

German newspaper Bild, which previously reported the case, said the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation is also investigating the disappearance.

The elder Hollahan, of Scottsdale, Arizona, is a first vice president at the bank, according to Bild. The disappearance was out of character for his son and that he was “very, very worried,” Bild cited the father as saying.

-- With assistance from Michael Gavin in Frankfurt. Editors: Jeff St.Onge, Hellmuth Tromm

To contact the reporter on this story: Karin Matussek in Berlin at kmatussek@bloomberg.netAaron Kirchfeld in Frankfurt at akirchfeld@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: November 27, 2009 07:47 EST

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 08:39:46 PM »

The man is the son of Morgan Stanley banker Jeffrey Hollahan, police spokesman Andre Sturmeid said.

guessing it is a hostage for ransom situation, not sure but i think most of the time
they get the $$$, you get nothing

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 04:28:08 PM »

Son of the high officials of American bank Morgan Stanley had disappeared in Germany, doznaje on Friday from U.S. sources, while printing the possibility of abduction.

Devon Hollahan, 22-year-old American, disappeared on Saturday in Frankfurt, said local police.

The young man was last seen in the center of Germany's financial capital around 15:00 am, police said, which specifies that "until now no trace."

"This is not his usual behavior. Mladic is a serious and valuable. I'm very worried," said his father Jeffrey Hollahan the Internet edition of the daily Bild Zeitung that it is as the first Vice President of American Business Bank.

http://www.sarajevo-x.com/svijet/clanak/091127033

User comment left at above link at bottom of de page..
Oteli ga hrvati. Fudbalska namjestanja prestala zbog skandala, pa se moraju traziti novi putevi za zaradu.

WHICH TRANSLATES INTO..

Kidnapped by the Croats. Football stopped fixing scandal, and must seek new ways of making money.

Yep, sounds like some mob has grabbed him for ransom..
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 08:36:39 PM »

The father of a Scottsdale man missing in Germany is headed there to ramp up the search.
VIDEO

http://www.kpho.com/video/21742359/index.html

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Ariana
Scared Monkey

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 08:36:19 PM »

American teacher vanishes in Germany
22-year-old disappeared without a trace after leaving concert in Frankfurt

By Michael Inbar
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 9:20 a.m. CT, Tues., Dec . 1, 2009
It started as a boys’ night out for two young Americans in Europe. Devon Hollahan took a break from teaching English in the Czech Republic capital of Prague to hop on a train to Frankfurt, Germany, with pal Josh Friedman to catch a concert by American alternative rock group Portugal the Man.

The evening was going well — Hollahan and Friedman downed a few beers, a shot each of Jagermeister, and wound up backstage with the band. Around 3 a.m., the pair left with the band members from the concert venue on the outskirts of Frankfurt toward the city center.

But unable to pinpoint the exact location of their hostel, Friedman turned to hail passersby for directions.

After Friedman was pointed in the right direction, he turned around, but Hollahan, 22, was gone. And in the 10 days since, not a trace of the outgoing, independent young man has been found.

The young man’s father, Jeff Hollahan, has been in Frankfurt since Sunday, working with local authorities to retrace the steps his son took in the early morning of Nov. 21 and organizing an ad hoc group of searchers who pass out fliers.

Speaking via satellite from Frankfurt Monday, the Scottsdale, Ariz., man gave a grim response when TODAY’s Matt Lauer asked him whether he suspects foul play in the case.

“At this point, I do,” Hollahan told Lauer. “It’s really the only logical explanation that I see, because left to his own devices, we would have [been given] some indication that he was around and well. We would have had phone calls.”

Devon Hollahan could take care of himself, but he wasn’t planning to be away from work so long.

“He had some cash with him, not enough to survive 10 days in Frankfurt or anywhere else in Europe,” his father said. “He had means on his credit card, but he’s not used that. I can only assume that there’s been foul play of some sort, although at this point, there’s certainly no proof to that effect.”

Having a good time
Friedman told NBC News he initially didn’t think anything was amiss when he couldn’t find Devon, even though he had only been standing 20 feet away from him when he stopped to ask locals for directions.

“When he’s drinking, sometimes he will just leave and not say goodbye,” Friedman said. “It’s happened when we’re all out together.”

TODAY
Josh Friedman, left, was the last person to see Devon Hollahan before he vanished.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friedman added the pair was tipsy but not inebriated, and Hollahan showed no signs of agitation. “We were drinking at the club for a few hours afterward and just, you know, we were in a foreign country. We were having a good time. We were on vacation.”

Friedman said he eventually went back to the hostel, expecting to find Hollahan there. When he wasn’t, Friedman went to sleep, expecting to find Devon back in the room in the morning. When he didn’t show, Friedman went back to Prague, believing his buddy might have caught a train home. Finally, he contacted Frankfurt police and made the dreaded call to Devon’s parents, a call Jeff Hollahan said is “every parent’s worst nightmare.”

What set off alarms for Jeff and his wife, Lynn, was Devon’s continual, clockwork contact with his parents in Arizona while he was abroad. Every Sunday morning, the family engaged in video chats on the computer. In addition, Jeff and Lynn phoned Devon separately once or twice a week.

Jeff Hollahan has worked with Frankfurt police to work up a psychological profile of his son, but from friends to family, nothing had seemed to be troubling in Devon’s life. The young man, whom his father said has a “wandering soul,” moved to Prague in July, teaching Czechs ranging from young kids to housewives how to speak English. His best friend and roommate, Carrie Miltenberger, could offer no reason that Devon would want to make himself scarce.

“We had friends from Denver who visited with him the Sunday before he disappeared; [they] said he had appeared to be in extraordinary high spirits,” Jeff Hollahan told Lauer. “His mother and I both talked to him later that week, and we had pretty much the same read on him.”

TODAY
Relatives and friends say nothing seemed wrong with Devon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hollahan also quizzed Miltenberger, asking her if Devon had confided anything during their quiet times at home in Prague. “She said, no, that they both liked living there and they both were figuring out a way to take their English-teaching careers and continue traveling overseas for several more years,” Hollahan told Lauer.

Jeff Hollahan was joined by Devin’s aunt, Beth, in Germany as they continue to search for clues, both in concert with the police and on their own. Social networking sites have produced scores of volunteers, and the band Portugal the Man, hailing from Sarah Palin’s home base of Wasilla, Alaska, has pitched in.

The band posted on their Web site: “We met [Devon] and hung out with him. He is a good guy, just like you and I, and his family needs help. We love you and all hope you can help.”

Massive effort
Jeff and Beth Hollahan rallied some 200 volunteers to pass out fliers Monday morning. Meanwhile, police have searched riverbanks and alleyways around the city, with the aid of tracking dogs.

While Hollahan remains focused at the task of locating his son, he admits he sometimes gets a sinking feeling.

TODAY
Jeff Hollahan speaks to Matt Lauer via satellite.

“It’s devastating,” he said. “I have a wife and a daughter that are beside themselves with grief. And when the house is quiet and nobody is around, it’s very difficult to keep your thoughts from going to the blackest places.”

There has been some indication that German police have not given the family all the information they currently have on the case, although Hollahan told Lauer, “I guess you never know what you don’t know.” Bloomberg News has reported Frankfurt has been the site of several recent kidnappings of family members of prominent businessmen. Jeff Hollahan is a vice president with Morgan Stanley in Scottsdale, Ariz.

But Hollahan told NBC News he has received no ransom notes — and in the 10 days since Devon went missing, their continual monitoring of Devon’s credit cards shows no charges or ATM usage.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/34220810/ns/today-today_people/?GT1=43001

In my opinion they need to look at his friend more closely.  He went home thinking he went on the train without telling him?  Same as he went back to the room without telling him?  He couldn't tell that the guys stuff was still in the room when he left?  He had to have had a overnight bag.  Also, why leave and then report him missing?  He could have asked the concierge if they had seen him, he could have even called him (assuming he had a cell), even called the roommate at home or someone there to make sure before he just up and left.  If this guy is his friend I hate to see his enemies.  Freidman's story is very stinky to me.  Not to mention there has been no ransom either.  Dad needs to hire someone to stick to Friedman to find out what happened to his son.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »

Missing Arizona man's pack found in Germany

Sunday, December 06, 2009

PHOENIX (AP) -- The father of a young American man from Arizona who went missing in Germany two weeks ago says police have recovered Devon Hollahan's backpack but still have no evidence to explain his disappearance.

Jeff Hollahan of Scottsdale said on Friday that German police told him a security guard found his son's pack on Nov. 21, the same day Devon Hollahan disappeared after a concert in Frankfort. A friend who was traveling with the 22-year-old said they became separated on a street corner after asking for directions to a youth hostel.

Jeff Hollahan has been in Germany trying to find out what happened to his son.

Devon Hollahan is a University of Arizona graduate who had been teaching English in Prague since July.
http://azdailysun.com/articles/2009/12/06/news/state/20091206_arizo_208803.txt

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:07:52 AM »

Germany: Missing U.S. man likely fell into river
Police says student was probably drunk when he disappeared last month

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34477624/ns/world_news/
FRANKFURT - An American student who disappeared in November most likely fell drunkenly into the city's Main River, Frankfurt police said Friday.

Devon Hollahan, 22, who had been teaching English in Prague since July, was traveling back to a hostel after a concert with a friend, who stopped to ask for directions at about 3 a.m. on Nov. 21. When the friend turned back around, Hollahan was gone.

Police said in a statement that dogs traced Holllahan's trail to the banks of the river, and that authorities found a shoe believed to be his in the waters.

Police said they "have to assume that Devon Hollahan, in a helpless state in connection with alcohol, fell into the Main."

Jeff Hollahan, Devon's father, traveled to Frankfurt the week after Devon's disappearance and canvassed the city searching for him. The Scottsdale, Arizona man posted fliers with pictures and contact information all over the city, hoping to get a lead.

'Without a doubt'
He returned home on Wednesday after hearing the news and said the family is "still coming to grips with it" but told The Associated Press by phone that he is still holding out hope.

"The search hasn't been called off," he said. "The search is ongoing until a body is found."

After Hollahan disappeared, the friend headed to the hostel, where he spent the night and then went back to Prague alone the next day.

According to police, witnesses saw a man who was "without a doubt" Hollahan lying on the sidewalk at about 4 a.m. and called for an ambulance. But after the witnesses told Hollahan in English that they had called an ambulance, he got up and ran away. His backpack was found shortly thereafter by a security guard.

Police said there were no clues pointing to either a suicide or a crime.

The police said that during the course of the search, they had interviewed Hollahan's family, but that did not lead to any new clues. They also searched parks, underground tunnels and other areas near where Hollahan disappeared.

The U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt was also involved in the search.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 10:01:44 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580860,00.html?test=latestnews

German Police: Body in River is Missing American

Tuesday , December 22, 2009

AP
ADVERTISEMENT

FRANKFURT  —
German police say that the body of a man pulled from the Rhine River has been identified as missing 22-year-old Devon Hollahan of Arizona.

Frankfurt police said Tuesday that Hollahan, who was reported missing Nov. 21, was positively identified through DNA testing. His body had been pulled from the Rhine Dec. 15 near the town of Boppard, which is about 62 miles northwest of Frankfurt.

Police say Hollahan died from drowning and they don't suspect foul play.

Hollahan, who had been teaching English in Prague since July, was traveling back to a hostel with a friend, who stopped to ask for directions. When the friend turned back around, Hollahan was gone.

The U.S. consulate in Frankfurt and local police were both involved in the search for Hollahan, who was last seen Nov. 21.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 01:34:33 PM »

Wow......glad they found him.

An undated photo provided by the police in Frankfurt, Germany, shows US citizen Devon Hollahan. Hollahan had been teaching English in Prague since July 2009. He was last seen at around 3 a.m. on Nov. 21, 2009 after a concert in Frankfurt. German police say that the body of a man pulled from the Rhine River has been identified as missing 22-year-old American Devon Hollahan. Frankfurt police said Tuesday Dec. 22, 2009 that Hollahan, from Arizona, was positively identified through DNA testing. His body was pulled from the Rhine Dec. 15 near the town of Boppard, which is about 60 miles (100 kilometers) northwest of Frankfurt. Police said that Hollahan died from drowning and they don't suspect foul play. (AP Photo/Polizei Frankfurt)
http://ktar.com/?nid=22&sid=1237137

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 11:32:45 AM »

It's sad Devon wasn't found alive and I'm sorry for his grieving family and friends.  He can be laid to rest now.   an angelic monkey

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.