March 28, 2024, 03:01:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cuban Healthcare System Failure  (Read 1236 times)
WhiskeyGirl
Monkey All Star Jr.

« on: December 14, 2009, 08:39:15 AM »

Embargo as genocide? US disputes Cuban claim

HAVANA — It was a story meant to captivate the United Nations: A dozen Cuban children with heart defects were forced to endure unnecessary surgery because the U.S. embargo blocked them from receiving American-made catheters.

The embargo as a whole "could be classified as an act of genocide," Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said before the U.N. General Assembly voted 187-3 in October to condemn U.S. policy toward Cuba for the 18th year running.

U.S. law exempted medicine and health care supplies from the embargo in 1992. It also lifted the ban on agricultural exports in 2000 and is now Cuba's biggest supplier of food — $710 million worth last year.

The U.S. says it approved about $142 million in commercial and donated medical exports to the communist island in 2008. So why did less than 1 percent of it get here?

Cuba often waits for allies to donate what it needs, said the trade council's Kavulich. "They'd rather get things for free than pay for them."

Sales are possible. Two years ago, Miller Exports of Key West, Florida, sold about 100 portable sonogram machines to Cuba, items totaling less than $1 million. To get around servicing problems, it included 10 extra units that could be raided for spare parts.

But company head James Beaver also cited the China factor. He said Miller Exports once had a deal in principle to sell Cuba MRI machines, but a Chinese firm offered a lower price at the last minute.

read more here - http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h1I0A0KRftJl-z5d_3Njqsbn9rbgD9CCKHP80

I wonder, Does Michael Moore know about this?

All my posts are just my humble opinions.  Please take with a grain of salt.  Smile

It doesn't do any good to hate anyone,
they'll end up in your family anyway...
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.