April 24, 2024, 02:29:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JSM's BEGGING FOR BAN THREAD #10  (Read 445372 times)
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1420 on: December 13, 2009, 12:31:59 PM »

This is going to sound dumb, I'm going to make the saltine cracker treats and if they turn out well I have a few people that I would like to give some to. I bought pretty Christmas tin boxes to put them in. If I put wax paper between the layers, will that prevent them from sticking? I just don't want to give somebody something and all the treats are stuck together. Thanks
Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1421 on: December 13, 2009, 12:51:38 PM »

Green Eyes, I wanted to ask you about quilting. I've been wanting to learn this for awhile, but don't have a single clue as to where to even start with one.  Any tips?

I live near Amish country, and there's a store close by that we can watch the women gathered around, doing them by hand, and it looks so easy. I use to embroider, so I have kinda a little bit of experience with sewing.

I just would like so much to be able to do one, like a memory quilt. But I don't even have a sewing machine. Do I need one for starters?

Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1422 on: December 13, 2009, 12:55:26 PM »

This is going to sound dumb, I'm going to make the saltine cracker treats and if they turn out well I have a few people that I would like to give some to. I bought pretty Christmas tin boxes to put them in. If I put wax paper between the layers, will that prevent them from sticking? I just don't want to give somebody something and all the treats are stuck together. Thanks

NoRose, that's a good idea about giving as gifts. I used to do the cookie mix in the jars for the teachers. It looks kind of like sand art when it's done. I think this year I'd like to actually bake something and I think I'm gonna try this. I would think the wax paper would keep them from sticking too.

Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1423 on: December 13, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

Green Eyes, I wanted to ask you about quilting. I've been wanting to learn this for awhile, but don't have a single clue as to where to even start with one.  Any tips?

I live near Amish country, and there's a store close by that we can watch the women gathered around, doing them by hand, and it looks so easy. I use to embroider, so I have kinda a little bit of experience with sewing.

I just would like so much to be able to do one, like a memory quilt. But I don't even have a sewing machine. Do I need one for starters?

Wow Gizzie that would be so awesome to watch the ladies quilt. I had an Aunt that hand quilted. From start to finish, my uncle built her Quilt rack. That she put the quilt in to hold it tight when she got to the actual quilting part. It's an art for sure.

I would get a sewing machine. I have done mine on a portable one. I would start with something small until you feel comfortable going bigger. If you like you can ask Klaas to give you my email addy as I don't have a throw away one. I will be more than happy to help. Start with something simple first. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1424 on: December 13, 2009, 01:22:06 PM »

NoRose, that's a good idea about giving as gifts. I used to do the cookie mix in the jars for the teachers. It looks kind of like sand art when it's done. I think this year I'd like to actually bake something and I think I'm gonna try this. I would think the wax paper would keep them from sticking too.
Thank-you, I just didn't want to look like a fool, and it all stuck. Last year I decorated cookies, and they looked so bad, I didn't give any out, and had to scramble to find something to give  I've never done the cookie mix in the jars, but that is a good idea.
crazybabyborg
« Reply #1425 on: December 13, 2009, 01:26:43 PM »

Max in his younger years guarding one of the holes he dug.  He was a digger for many years hiding all his stashes of food for later.

NORTHERN ROSE  Max was a beautiful dog.  His face is so pretty.  He looks like a dog in a Jack London novel should look.   It is so sad when we lose our fur babies.  They really are a part of our family.  I am an old lady and have lost a number of dogs in my life, and each was special, each had a different personality, and I loved every one.  My idea of heaven is that all the dogs I ever loved will run to greet me.

Good Morning, Monkeys!!   

Babybear! I didn't know you were from Pigeon Forge! I'm in Kingsport! Howdy Neighbor! 

I once read a Guidepost Magazine entry about pets that has always stayed with me. A 6 year old boy had fallen out of a tree and was rushed to the hospital, unconscious. The ER docs were ominous about his chances after examination and testing, but rushed him to surgery in an attempt to save his life. The boy's heart stopped during the procedure and the surgeons made valiant, prolonged efforts to revive him, unwilling to give up on a six year old child. Miraculously, he finally responded to their efforts and survived the surgery. His shaken parents were not given much hope, post op, and were told about the "death" incident during surgery.

Hours later, the boy opened his eyes and was able to talk! He insisted he had been with "Rusty", his pet Sheltie, who had died a month earlier from old age, and urgently wanted to tell his parents about it. The Physician had been notified when the boy awoke, and when he got to the room, the boy apologized for "leaving" but explained that it was such a pretty place and when he heard Rusty bark, he just had to go see! He went on to describe raising up above the people over him to a place above the ceiling that was incredibly bright and colorful. He said the flowers were "alive" and that there was a hill with a road that reached over it. As he stood in the field of flowers, Rusty came bounding over the hill and ran toward him, tail wagging. The boy fell to his knees giggling as Rusty licked his face and they played just as they had done all the boy's life.  When Rusty ran to the road and turned to look back at him, they both suddenly knew that it wasn't time for the boy to follow. It wasn't a sad moment, but one full of promise.

As Rusty stood at the crest of the hill, the boy felt his parents call to him, and he didn't remember anything after that until he woke up, with the absolute certainty that he and Rusty would have that reunion again and that they would both run over the hill into the sunshine together and never be separated again.

I believe the Bible's promise that He goes to prepare a place for us. I believe that whatever makes our home in heaven more "heavenly" uniquely for each of us, will be there and that our Creator knows best exactly what that would be. I believe that the little boy's love of Rusty and His Father's love of the little boy will indeed result in the reunion the boy believes.

And I believe I'm going to have a houseful of furbabies, and I even like to think that maybe they're with my family until I get there!   
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1426 on: December 13, 2009, 01:37:45 PM »

CBB that is such a lovely story, and I sure hope to see loved ones again.  Amish country is beautiful, I so loved going through there when I was on the East Coast a few times. I sort of would like to have a simple life like that.
Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1427 on: December 13, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »

Wow Gizzie that would be so awesome to watch the ladies quilt. I had an Aunt that hand quilted. From start to finish, my uncle built her Quilt rack. That she put the quilt in to hold it tight when she got to the actual quilting part. It's an art for sure.

I would get a sewing machine. I have done mine on a portable one. I would start with something small until you feel comfortable going bigger. If you like you can ask Klaas to give you my email addy as I don't have a throw away one. I will be more than happy to help. Start with something simple first. 

Really? Thank you so much! That'd be a huge help! Yes, watching the ladies quilting together like that was fascinating! They all have their own area that they work on and it looks so easy for them. There even were very young girls working on it. When it was finished, it was hung for display and had a price tag of $1600.00! 

I don't even know how to use a sewing machine. My mother years ago offered me one that was my grandmothers. Had the foot pedal and was on a nice old wooden stand type, and I said no. Wish I had thought about it first!

Hmm, do I email Klaas or maybe I should leave a post on musings for her? That's what I'll do...

Thanks again!  an angelic monkey

Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1428 on: December 13, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »

Thank-you, I just didn't want to look like a fool, and it all stuck. Last year I decorated cookies, and they looked so bad, I didn't give any out, and had to scramble to find something to give  I've never done the cookie mix in the jars, but that is a good idea.

I think that's why I have only done the jars. Always thought it would end up a disaster if I cooked them myself. I am no Becky home ecky when it comes to cooking!  Monkey Devil!

Only baking that turns out ok for me is the cookie dough that you slice, the Pillsbury ones. 

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1429 on: December 13, 2009, 01:52:05 PM »

I'm no Betty Crocker either believe me, and those were Pillsbury cut out dough, the cookies turned out, but the decorating did not, when my daughter started laughing and saying the snowmen looked stoned, I knew that I couldn't give those out as gifts  The Amish people would not even want me, I can't sew, cook, bake, nothing, but I still like their simple life.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1430 on: December 13, 2009, 02:01:45 PM »

Hope everyone is writing down these recipes that are being posted.
I am.   

NorthernROse,I love the avi of Max.  Hello to CBB 

Back to the sidekick now.
I am leaving this for JSM   Monkey Devil! Digger was busy this morning.   
See you monkeys later. 

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1431 on: December 13, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »

I'm no Betty Crocker either believe me, and those were Pillsbury cut out dough, the cookies turned out, but the decorating did not, when my daughter started laughing and saying the snowmen looked stoned, I knew that I couldn't give those out as gifts  The Amish people would not even want me, I can't sew, cook, bake, nothing, but I still like their simple life.

I never could figure out why the snowmen didn't look like they did on the package!

The simple life, yes, but then I start thinking about the no electricity, and no phones, and I don't think I could do it. It would be hard for sure! But I guess when that's all you really know, you're not really missing anything.

Last week I read in the news that an Amish man was arrested for drunk buggy driving! 
He was asleep in his buggy, and it was crisscrossing in the middle of the road, and the horse was walking slow, probably not sure where to go.

Tevye
Monkey Junky

Burn, baby, burn...'Ol Sparky is waiting for you!

« Reply #1432 on: December 13, 2009, 02:14:16 PM »

I never could figure out why the snowmen didn't look like they did on the package!

The simple life, yes, but then I start thinking about the no electricity, and no phones, and I don't think I could do it. It would be hard for sure! But I guess when that's all you really know, you're not really missing anything.

Last week I read in the news that an Amish man was arrested for drunk buggy driving! 
He was asleep in his buggy, and it was crisscrossing in the middle of the road, and the horse was walking slow, probably not sure where to go.
I did a lot of research on the Amish for a recent class, and have always been fascinated with their lifestyle. Part of that comes from being German. Anyway, after the research, I figured I could "go Amish" as long as I had a computer in the barn. Under some of their communities' rules, electricity and phones are allowed in the barn, for business purposes - in true men fashion, the guys get the toys! So, I'd have a quilt business and have to run it online. That would be my excuse. That is the ONLY reason I couldn't go Amish...well, there's that whole Catholic thing.... but I would love every other single thing about it.

Remember Ladies, get the damm mamm!     Thanks, Brandi!
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1433 on: December 13, 2009, 02:14:51 PM »

I am.   

See you monkeys later. 

How does little Digger do it  He is quite the little hunter, and he looks so proud. Have a fun day with your little sidekick. 
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1434 on: December 13, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »

I did a lot of research on the Amish for a recent class, and have always been fascinated with their lifestyle. Part of that comes from being German. Anyway, after the research, I figured I could "go Amish" as long as I had a computer in the barn. Under some of their communities' rules, electricity and phones are allowed in the barn, for business purposes - in true men fashion, the guys get the toys! So, I'd have a quilt business and have to run it online. That would be my excuse. That is the ONLY reason I couldn't go Amish...well, there's that whole Catholic thing.... but I would love every other single thing about it.
And I would have to have a tv in the barn also, otherwise I wouldn't know what to do  Drunk buggy driving, that is right up there, with drunk lawn mower driving.
Green Eyes
Monkey Mega Star

Happy Spring

« Reply #1435 on: December 13, 2009, 02:18:25 PM »

Really? Thank you so much! That'd be a huge help! Yes, watching the ladies quilting together like that was fascinating! They all have their own area that they work on and it looks so easy for them. There even were very young girls working on it. When it was finished, it was hung for display and had a price tag of $1600.00! 

I don't even know how to use a sewing machine. My mother years ago offered me one that was my grandmothers. Had the foot pedal and was on a nice old wooden stand type, and I said no. Wish I had thought about it first!

Hmm, do I email Klaas or maybe I should leave a post on musings for her? That's what I'll do...

Thanks again!  an angelic monkey

Gizzie  I wrote Klaas in musings also. I am glad to help. I am no expert by any means. Oh man what I wouldn't give to have my grandmothers old treadle machine. That's what I learned how to sew on. But my darling brother gave it away without asking me if I wanted it. I was bummed out over it for a  long time over it. 

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1436 on: December 13, 2009, 02:27:22 PM »

Figures it would be the guys getting the toys! To be honest, I don't know too much about their lives. It amazes me the level of forgiveness they have, for everybody! That Lancaster tragedy that happened a few years ago, I was in awe of how that entire situation was handled. Such sadness!

We see the men and women working the fields everyday, with the children right next to them, from sun up to sundown. They are hard workers, no doubt! But no way could I not have at least some of the comforts of technology.

Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1437 on: December 13, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »

I am.   

See you monkeys later. 

How does little Digger do it  He is quite the little hunter, and he looks so proud. Have a fun day with your little sidekick. 

Oh boy! I bet he has so much fun catching them! He does look proud!

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1438 on: December 13, 2009, 02:34:26 PM »

I am.   

See you monkeys later. 

His Daddy shoots them and he fetches them.     Then he eats them.   

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Gizzie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1439 on: December 13, 2009, 02:36:52 PM »

Gizzie  I wrote Klaas in musings also. I am glad to help. I am no expert by any means. Oh man what I wouldn't give to have my grandmothers old treadle machine. That's what I learned how to sew on. But my darling brother gave it away without asking me if I wanted it. I was bummed out over it for a  long time over it. 

Thank you Green Eyes for your offer to help. I am positive that I will have tons of questions for you!  an angelic monkey

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.