March 28, 2024, 12:11:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: John Lennon still making an impact 29 years after death  (Read 6244 times)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: December 09, 2009, 07:24:31 PM »

http://media.www.royalpurplenews.com/media/storage/paper1225/news/2009/12/09/Spotlight/John-Lennon.Stil

John Lennon still making an impact 29 years after death

Amy Azzi
Issue date: 12/9/09 Section: Spotlight

December 8, 1980 - five shots were fired in New York City and an artist was killed. Not a politician, not a radical activist - an artist. An artist who made people think and most importantly, made people imagine.

Yesterday marked the 29th anniversary of Lennon's death. A star-studded tribute concert called "Just Imagine" was held in Hollywood last night to celebrate his life. Lennon made an immeasurable contribution to the world and his musical genius still lives today
<snip>

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 09:45:50 AM »

http://www.kxan.com/dpps/entertainment/music/john-lennons-killer-up-for-parole-again-in-ny-nt10-jgr_3573361
(video)
John Lennon's killer up for parole
Will be sixth try for freedom for Chapman
September 7, 2010

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - John Lennon's killer is again up for parole in New York.

Mark David Chapman is scheduled to be interviewed at Attica Correctional Facility sometime this week, as early as Tuesday.

It will be the sixth try at freedom for the former maintenance man who has spent nearly 30 years in the upstate New York prison. He has been denied parole every two years since becoming eligible in 2000.

Exactly when Chapman will be interviewed this week will depend on how quickly the parole panel works its way through a lengthy list of inmates.

Chapman was originally scheduled to appear last month but the hearing was postponed.

He's serving a sentence of 20 years to life for shooting Lennon four times outside the ex-Beatle's Manhattan apartment building in December 1980.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:52:16 PM »

Parole hearing #7....  (Throw away the key.  JMHO)

http://news.yahoo.com/john-lennons-killer-seventh-parole-hearing-week-134605392.html
John Lennon's killer to get seventh parole hearing this week
August 19, 2012

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Mark David Chapman, who shot and killed former Beatle John Lennon 32 years ago, will have his seventh parole hearing this week, New York state's Department of Corrections said on Saturday.
A decision on whether to release him will likely be made public by the end of the week, said department spokeswoman Linda Foglia.
 ::snipping2::
He has come up for parole every two years since 2000 and has been turned down each time.
After his last hearing in 2010, the three-member parole board cited in written comments to Chapman, the "disregard you displayed for the norms of our society and the sanctity of human life."
Ahead of that hearing, the parole division received dozens of letters arguing against Chapman's release, including one from Lennon's widow Yoko Ono, who said she believed Chapman posed a risk to her, Lennon's two sons, the public and himself.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/23/justice/new-york-chapman-parole-denied/
Man who shot John Lennon denied parole for 7th time
August 23, 2012

CNN) -- Mark David Chapman, the man convicted of killing former Beatle John Lennon, has been denied parole for a seventh time, according to the New York Department of Corrections.

He was last up for parole in 2010, when he was told his "discretionary release remains inappropriate at this time and incompatible with the welfare of the community," according to the state's Division of Parole.

He was also denied parole in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2008.

Chapman, 57, is serving a sentence of 20 years to life in prison and is being held at the Wende Correctional Facility in Alden.

He is in protective custody in a single-person cell, corrections spokeswoman Carole Claren-Weaver said, and is allowed out three hours per day.

Since his transfer from Attica this year, Chapman has reapplied to participate in a state program called "family reunion," which allows inmates to spend more time with family members.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:55:36 PM »

BBM  -  This is the reason Mark David Chapman should never make parole.  JMHO

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/30/john-lennon-killer-embarrassed-couldve-picked-johnny-carson-or-george-c-scott/?intcmp=obinsite
Mark David Chapman 'embarrassed' by John Lennon murder; says he thought about killing Johnny Carson or George C. Scott
August 30, 2012

John Lennon's killer told a parole board that as a Christian, he is "embarrassed" over his crime, and that he could have just as easily gone after Johnny Carson or George C. Scott.

The new details came out at Mark David Chapman’s seventh hearing, which took place on Aug. 22. The transcript was released Wednesday, after the Beatle killer was denied parole and ordered to remain at Wende Correctional Facility in western New York.

“So this is obviously very embarrassing for me now, having committed murder.”

- Mark David Chapman

Chapman told the board he was living in Hawaii when he decided to kill Lennon “because he was very famous.” He also thought about killing late-night TV host Johnny Carson and actor George C. Scott.

“If [Lennon] was less famous than three or four other people on the list, he would not have been shot,” Chapman told the board.

Lennon was gunned down at the entrance to his Manhattan apartment building on Dec. 8, 1980. Chapman recounted how he staked out the building, and even approached the rock and roll legend earlier in the day for an autograph.

“He was very kind to me,” Chapman told the board. “[He was a] very cordial and very decent man.”

Nonetheless,  Chapman, who said he “was so compelled to commit murder that nothing would have dragged me away from that building” waited until Lennon returned from a recording session and then shot him.

“When Mr. Lennon passed me I turned, pulled out my weapon and shot him in the back,” Chapman said.

flutter1
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »

BBM  -  This is the reason Mark David Chapman should never make parole.  JMHO

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/30/john-lennon-killer-embarrassed-couldve-picked-johnny-carson-or-george-c-scott/?intcmp=obinsite
Mark David Chapman 'embarrassed' by John Lennon murder; says he thought about killing Johnny Carson or George C. Scott
August 30, 2012

John Lennon's killer told a parole board that as a Christian, he is "embarrassed" over his crime, and that he could have just as easily gone after Johnny Carson or George C. Scott.

The new details came out at Mark David Chapman’s seventh hearing, which took place on Aug. 22. The transcript was released Wednesday, after the Beatle killer was denied parole and ordered to remain at Wende Correctional Facility in western New York.

“So this is obviously very embarrassing for me now, having committed murder.”

- Mark David Chapman

Chapman told the board he was living in Hawaii when he decided to kill Lennon “because he was very famous.” He also thought about killing late-night TV host Johnny Carson and actor George C. Scott.

“If [Lennon] was less famous than three or four other people on the list, he would not have been shot,” Chapman told the board.

Lennon was gunned down at the entrance to his Manhattan apartment building on Dec. 8, 1980. Chapman recounted how he staked out the building, and even approached the rock and roll legend earlier in the day for an autograph.

“He was very kind to me,” Chapman told the board. “[He was a] very cordial and very decent man.”

Nonetheless,  Chapman, who said he “was so compelled to commit murder that nothing would have dragged me away from that building” waited until Lennon returned from a recording session and then shot him.

“When Mr. Lennon passed me I turned, pulled out my weapon and shot him in the back,” Chapman said.

As a Christian, I am appalled that the most he can feel is embarrassment over his cruel and merciless crime.  How about some remove, MD?  How about some sadness for, if not his fans, his sons, one whom never really knew his father except through media.  I don't see remorse and without remorse, I don't see redemption for this criminal who has had it far too easy and privileged life for the last 32 years. 

At least Karla Faye Tucker faced her Death Row punishment as a Christian; Chapman is just lip synching.   

A joyful heart is the health of the body, but a depressed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22 NAB

We don`t know who the monsters are.  And as a parent, our job is to take care of our children. Ken Fries, Sheriff Allen County commenting on the death of Aliah
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »

29 years----Holy crap    almost 32 now  
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:51:19 PM by Nut44x4 » Logged

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/08/22/lennons-killer-denied-parole-for-8th-time/14460367/
Lennon's killer denied parole for 8th time
August 22, 2014

ALBANY, N.Y. — Mark David Chapman, who gunned down Beatles legend John Lennon in 1980, was denied parole Friday for the eight time, the New York Department of Corrections announced.

"After a review of the record and interview, the panel has determined that if released at this time, there is a reasonable probability that you would not live and remain at liberty without again violating the law," the panel said in a report.

Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times in front of his wife, Yoko Ono, and others. He was sentenced in 1981 to 20 years to life in prison after pleading guilty to second-degree murder.

The 59-year-old Chapman, who first became eligible for parole in December 2000, will next appear before the parole board in two years. The state also released a new mugshot of Chapman taken on June 1, 2013.

The panel continued that "your release would be incompatible with the welfare of society and would so deprecate the serious nature of the crime as to undermine respect for the law."
The Daily News first reported on Friday's decision, which also noted how Chapman stalked and waited for his victim.

"This victim had displayed kindness to you earlier in the day, and your actions have devastated a family and those who loved the victim," the panel said, alluding to Lennon signing a copy of an album for Chapman on that fatal day.

MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 08:21:42 PM »

"Idiot" is an understatement, imo.    He was sentenced to 20 years to life.  Keep him behind bars.  He still doesn't get it.

http://www.statesman.com/news/ap/entertainment/john-lennons-killer-sorry-for-being-an-idiot/ng9rC/
John Lennon's killer sorry for being 'an idiot'
August 27, 2014 

BUFFALO, N.Y. — John Lennon's imprisoned killer says he still gets letters about the pain he caused in his pursuit of notoriety nearly 34 years ago.
"I am sorry for causing that type of pain," Mark David Chapman told a parole board last week, according to a transcript released Wednesday. "I am sorry for being such an idiot and choosing the wrong way for glory."
It was Chapman's eighth appearance before a parole board. In again denying his release, the three-member panel said it would "so deprecate the serious nature of the crime as to undermine respect for the law."

Last week, he told the parole board members that he would understand if they denied him release based solely on the number of people he hurt.
"Many, many people loved him. He was a great and talented man and they are still hurting," Chapman, 59, said. "I get letters so that's a major factor. It's not a regular crime."
Chapman, who is at the Wende Correctional Facility, east of Buffalo, can try again for release in two years.

Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.