April 23, 2024, 04:27:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 353290 times)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« on: December 10, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,579961,00.html?test=latestnews

Stockbroker Mom Disappears in Utah, Husband Questioned

Thursday , December 10, 2009

FC1
ADVERTISEMENT

Family members and police have stepped up their search for a Utah mother of two who vanished over the weekend.

Stockbroker Susan Powell, 28, has been missing since Sunday. Her husband Josh says he last saw her getting ready for bed about 12:30 a.m. and left her sleeping while he went camping with the couple's two young sons.

Powell's purse, cell phone and car were found at their home in the Salt Lake City suburb of West Valley City.

Initially, the entire family was unaccounted for — until the missing woman's husband turned up with the boys and without Powell, her father Chuck Cox said in an interview with Fox News.

Her parents say Powell, who works as a stockbroker for Wells Fargo Financial, wouldn't have left her family of her own accord.

West Valley police are asking for the public's help in the case. They won't reveal what Powell's husband has told investigators in interviews.

Cox said his daughter was looking forward to the holidays when he spoke to her last Thursday and "everything was fine."

When his son-in-law called him about her disappearance on Sunday, Cox said he sounded "a little upset."

"He informed me that she was missing and he didn’t have any idea where she was," he told Fox. "His voice cracked, like he was choking back tears or something."

Cox says he doesn't believe the couple had any martial problems.

But he said some of his son-in-law's story "didn't sound normal" to him — like his explanation of taking the camping trip with the boys while Powell stayed home in bed.

"I have no evidence that he was involved in anything," Cox said. "Police have looked in the house. Currently, they have no official persons of interest or suspects at this time. We don't know what happened."

Powell is 5 feet 4 inches, 130 pounds, with long, brown hair and blue eyes. Anyone with information is asked to call West Valley police in Utah.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:51:23 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 06:14:58 PM »

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8986844

Police may have 'areas' to check in missing woman case
December 10, 2009

WEST VALLEY CITY -- Police said Thursday they may have some "areas" to check as they follow-up on the case of a missing West Valley woman.

West Valley police Capt. Tom McLachlan said those areas are based on statements made by Susan Powell's husband, Josh Powell. Still, McLachlan declined to elaborate on what or where the areas are.

Susan Powell,28, disappeared Sunday. Her father, Charles Cox, told KSL News Josh said he took the couple's children camping Sunday night and came home Monday to find his wife missing. Cox says his daughter's cell phone and purse were left behind.

"The thing that doesn't add up is Susan is still missing," McLachlan said. "We don't know where she's at, and there's been no contact with her family or friends."

Now Josh Powell's story may be coming under scrutiny. McLachlan said the idea of Josh taking his toddler and 4-year-old camping in very cold whether during the disappearance raises questions, but he said Josh has been cooperative with police.

Forensics teams, meanwhile, are going over what was taken from the home during a warrant search.

"We have seized several items," McLachlan said. "I'm not going to get real specific about what items, but to process forensically to see if that can shed any light on the situation."

Josh and Susan Powell and their boys

McLachlan said Susan and Josh's children have now been interviewed, although he admitted it was a difficult process.

"You have to be very cognizant that they may be tying two different situations together in one," he said.

Police are also continuing to interview Susan's family and friends, looking for any clues as to where she might be.

Meanwhile, friends of Susan distributed fliers Thursday with Susan's picture and description.

Tami Allen used to live in Susan's neighborhood and brought fliers to her work. She was spreading the word about Susan's disappearance to all her tenants at the storage facility where she works.

Allen said doing this makes her feel like she's helping in some way.

"Obviously, it breaks my hart. I think about it all day, everyday," Allen said. "I just keep wondering what happened to her, and I just want her home safe."

Susan Powell is 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighs about 130 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes. If anyone has any information about her whereabouts, you're asked to call the West Valley Police Department at 801-840-4000.

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 06:15:20 PM »

IMO, he killed her.   
fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »

yup -
fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 06:56:53 PM »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705350544/Few-details-on-missing-WV-mom-2-just-anxiety.html

West Valley police are being very tight-lipped about the case. They have asked for the public's help to find her, yet won't say where or when or how the husband and children were found or where they had been. Investigators have also declined to answer questions about whether foul play is suspected or what Josh Powell has told police during interviews, though they did say that all of the Powell family's vehicles were accounted for.

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »

I have done a lot of Back packing and camping over the years.
I cannot imagine taking a toddler out in cold weather camping. Although me and my boys have done it, it can be a miserable nose running experience where everyone spends most of there time trying to stay warm and dry and almost survival mode.. where for some boys and dads that can be fun if you know for sure you can get out of here if it gets to bad.

This fellow is cooperative but her dad had no idea in advance that his son in law was taking his grandkids camping.. that is really strange that this new mom never called her dad and mom to brag about the camping trip that she would have been excited about for her kids to go on.
She also never seems to have told anyone from what I have read in these reports..

Yet we have many many people who have gone missing like Jennifer kessee and all her things like wallet and cell phone were left alone also..

But Strange indeed unless they have a big motor home to keep the toddler warm and dry.
I do not see where it says anything about a motorhome..

We always used tents for shelter ourselves.. 
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »

IMO, he killed her.   

Yep.....we've seen it time and time again. 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »

Neighbor: Husband acted oddly during conversation Wednesday night
December 10th, 2009 @ 5:58pm

WEST VALLEY CITY -- While police continue their investigation into the case of a missing West Valley woman, her neighbor is opening up about a conversation he had with her husband Wednesday night.

Susan Powell, 28, disappeared Sunday. Her father, Charles Cox, told KSL News her husband, Josh Powell, said he took the couple's children camping Sunday night and came home Monday to find his wife missing.

Neighbor talks about conversation with Josh Powell

The couples' neighbor Tim Peterson told KSL News that Josh asked him for a ride Wednesday night to pick up his van, which police had searched. He said Josh's behavior was odd and he didn't know what to make of it.

She's a friend of ours, and this is tearing us up," Peterson said.

Like many others, Peterson has a lot of questions about Susan's disappearance, and he didn't get any answers from Josh.

"He'd only had like six hours of sleep in two days, and so he was just kind of in a haze. He just really wasn't himself," Peterson said. "Anytime we mentioned Susan, he didn't, he wouldn't respond. He wouldn't talk about her."

But Peterson said Josh did talk about having to buy new clothes and a new quilt. He said Josh also told him he last saw Susan just after midnight Monday, when he left with his two young boys to go camping.

Peterson said Josh told him they went camping to test a new generator and make s'mores.

"I said, ‘That's kind of odd, isn't it?' And he says, ‘We do things like that all the time.' He says, ‘I just get them up, they use the bathroom, and load them in the vehicle, and we go,'" Peterson said.

In August, Peterson said Susan confided in him that she and her husband were going to start marriage counseling. He said she told him Josh was very controlling.

"He's kind of in charge. He's in charge of everything: in charge of the computer, in charge of the house, in charge of the kids, in charge of her," Peterson said.

He said Susan also told him if things didn't get better by spring, she'd leave her husband. He hopes that had nothing to do with her disappearance.

"We love the Powells. We are praying for Susan," Peterson said.

Peterson would not tell KSL News where Josh went camping.

(snipped)
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 09:19:02 PM »

Click on the picture below to see an interview with the lying POS husband.  He makes me sick:

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:47:38 PM »

OMG..... WTF was that??? This guy will be in jail before the weekend Wink

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »

OMG..... WTF was that??? This guy will be in jail before the weekend Wink

And my bet is he's going to start crying and confess

San disagrees, she doesn't think he's man enough to confess.  I think he's such a GIRL he will.  He is a waste of air. 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 12:43:07 AM »

Friends and neighbors hold vigil for missing West Valley woman
December 10th, 2009 @ 10:15pm

WEST VALLEY CITY -- While police continued their investigation into the case of a missing West Valley woman, her friends and neighbors held a candlelight vigil Thursday night to bring awareness to her story and hopefully help bring her home.

Candlelight vigil held for Susan Powell

About 50 people gathered at West View Park in West Valley in honor of their friend, 28-year-old Susan Powell.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 07:16:42 AM »

Susan Powell's husband, Josh, attended Thursday night's vigil but would not talk to KSL News

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 08:26:44 AM »

snipped.....

"Her home was the last place she was seen, so we served the [search] warrant to see if there was anything there that would shed any light," he said. "[Detectives] will be going over the items [seized in the search] today and should know soon what, if anything, they may have."
http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=574&topicId=100020825&docId=l:1090230320&start=5

klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 10:08:18 AM »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705350711/West-Valley-police-neighbors-call-Susan-Powells-disappearance-suspicious.html

West Valley police, neighbors call Susan Powell's disappearance 'suspicious'

Police search missing mom's home for clues

By Emiley Morgan

Deseret News
Published: Thursday, Dec. 10, 2009 11:40 p.m. MST

WEST VALLEY CITY — There are many theories about what could have happened to Susan Powell.

There are also assumptions about what already has happened.

But almost everyone who knows her agrees that Powell would never have left her two young boys, one reason why police are now calling the 28-year-old's disappearance "suspicious."

Josh Powell told the Deseret News he last saw his wife about midnight Sunday at their home. He said that was when he decided to leave the house and take his two sons, ages 2 and 4, camping "down south."

He said he didn't realize his wife was missing until a friend called him Monday and told him that police officers were looking for him and his family.

Since then, no one has seen Susan Powell. She failed to go to work Monday, and no one has an explanation about where she could be — not police, friends or family.

"It's a still a missing-person case, but the circumstances surrounding it are very suspicious," West Valley Police Capt. Tom McLachlan said Thursday. "Nobody can tell us where she is at, and she has not contacted family or friends that we know of."

Police obtained a search warrant for the Powell home, 6254 Sarah Circle, late Wednesday and have collected various pieces of furniture to submit for forensic tests. While he wouldn't go into specifics, McLachlan said Susan Powell "left items at the house that you would normally associate if you were going on a trip or going somewhere."

Susan Powell's father, Chuck Cox, said his daughter's purse and cell phone were still at the home. McLachlan said police focused their efforts on the home because it was the last place she was seen. An endangered-person alert was issued Monday, but police have heard nothing as a result of the alert.

"There's a lot of different scenarios you can put with the situation," McLachlan said. "Because we don't have enough information on any one of those possibilities, you have to work all of them. It keeps us busy."

About 100 of Susan Powell's friends, neighbors, co-workers and family members — including, for a short time, her husband and two sons — gathered in the cold at a candlelight vigil Thursday night at West View Park. In addition to holding lighted candles, they prayed for Susan Powell's safe return, shared stories about her, passed out missing-person fliers and sang "Silent Night."

"She's really special to us," said Crystal Peterson, who attends the same LDS Church ward as the Powells. "We just want to see her home. We want her home. That's all we want."

Investigators have interviewed Josh Powell and were working Thursday to verify what he had told them.

Josh Powell told the News that when he returned home Monday night, he discovered a front window had been broken out. The window had been broken by police, who worried the family might have been poisoned by carbon monoxide. Josh Powell said he didn't see "any sign of anything" out of the ordinary inside.

When asked what was going through his mind on the fourth day since his wife's disappearance, he said it was "hard to concentrate," before going into detail about how he had placed cardboard in the broken window.

Close friend and neighbor Kiirsi Hellewell, who has become the self-appointed advocate for Susan Powell because the woman's family lives in Washington, has pieced together a detailed timeline of events. She said she walked home from church with Susan Powell and her sons around noon Sunday. Another friend from her LDS ward ate dinner with the Powells Sunday evening. That friend told Hellewell she left the home shortly after Susan Powell said she wasn't feeling well and Josh Powell announced that he was going to take the boys sledding and then go eat.

Josh Powell said he last saw his wife around 12:30 a.m. Monday as she headed to bed.

Josh Powell described his wife as a "really good mother" who enjoys singing in her church choir and doing art projects with her boys.

"She really takes care of us," he said. "She's really committed to the family, and I guess she puts up with me, too, and does a good job of it."

Neighbor Stephanie Olson said as soon as she heard her neighbor was missing, she had a bad feeling.

"I know she would never leave her kids," Olson said. "If anything, she would have left with the children while Josh was at work. She'd take her kids. I believe that 100 percent. She was really good with her children."

Olson and other neighbors said about a year ago, Susan Powell began talking openly in church about obtaining a divorce. Olson said Susan Powell was very open about her home life and the issues in her marriage.

"She wasn't shy," Olson said. "She talked about divorcing and trying to save money to leave him."

Hellewell started a Facebook group with updates about her friend. At this point, she said she has to keep busy, because if she stops to think about what may have happened to her friend, she "can't handle it."

She described Susan Powell as "very outgoing, very friendly, an instant friend to everyone." In addition to being funny, pretty, talented, healthy and athletic, Susan Powell is "fearless," Hellewell said.

"If she had any way to contact somebody, she would," Hellewell added. "She's not the kind to go and hide. She's not scared of anything."

In the meantime, as he tries to "get things normal," Josh Powell said he wants his wife to know that he and the two boys "love her and miss her."

"I want to try and do the best I can to get the word out, even if it's hard," he said. "If anyone knows where she's at, have them call police."

A candlelight vigil is scheduled for 9 p.m. tonight at West View Park, 6050 W. 4100 South.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 10:14:23 AM by klaasend » Logged
islandmonkey
Monkey All Star

HaLeigh~you are loved and in God's loving arms

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »

IMO, he killed her.   

I agree, his behavoir is way off and even more coincidental is that Lori Hacking worked for Wells Fargo in St Lake City when she disappeared, she was a sales assistant which is a back up to a stockbroker........I wonder if it's the same one as usually the financial trading offices are consolidated versus the banking locations etc due to trading desk etc.

"If two theories explain the facts equally well then the simpler theory is to be preferred''
[
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 06:12:14 PM »

IMO, he killed her.   

I agree, his behavoir is way off and even more coincidental is that Lori Hacking worked for Wells Fargo in St Lake City when she disappeared, she was a sales assistant which is a back up to a stockbroker........I wonder if it's the same one as usually the financial trading offices are consolidated versus the banking locations etc due to trading desk etc.

IM, I had forgotten that Lori Hacking also worked for Wells Fargo. 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 06:13:44 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:16:31 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Police-say-husband-Person-of-Interest/Betj-Tpn5kOnRDFMiGeogQ.cspx

Police say husband "Person of Interest"
   Reported by: Marcos Ortiz
Last Update: 3:08 pm

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah (ABC 4 News) – Police say they found no evidence at a campsite as they continue to search for a missing mom.

Susan Powell disappeared from her home Sunday night and hasn’t been seen.

Police now say that her husband Josh Powell is a person of interest and plan to interview him for a third time Friday.

Investigators focused their search Thursday at the Pony Express Trail near Simpson Springs in Tooele County.

“We were looking for evidence that someone went in there and went camping, that’s what we were looking for," said WVC police Captain Tom McLachlan.

Josh Powell told police that he took his two boys, ages 4 and 2, camping late Sunday night. He told police that his wife was sleeping at the home when they left.

According to friends, Powell claims to have left around 12:30 a.m. Monday morning.

Captain McLachlan said they didn’t find any evidence of anyone being at the campsite.

“With the snowstorm everything was pretty well covered over,” he said. “You can’t tell any tire tracks or anything else.”

Captain McLachlan said investigators took cadaver dogs but they could not pick up any scent.

He said that Powell is not considered a suspect at this stage of the investigation.

“We do hope and intent to re-interview him again,” Cpt. McLachlan said.

The police captain did confirm that a Powell’s purse, credit cards and cell phone were among the items taken when they searched the home earlier this week.

And when asked if those are common items left behind by someone who decided to leave he answered this way: “My answer to that is one would usually think those items would be taken but in and of itself does not show a crime,” he said. “This is still a missing person case and our first concern is Susan and locating her, making sure she’s all right.

When asked if she was murdered he said “Like I said, there are many possible solutions to this situation and that’s as far as I’m going to go.”

Meanwhile Powell’s father who lives in a suburb of Seattle spoke with the local ABC affiliate KOMO 4. Chuck Cox offered more details about what police found inside the home.

“They found a wet spot on the floor being dried by two fans,” Cox said. He spoke with Josh Powell Tuesday and said that he offered little insight as to where Susan was.

“I don’t think she’s okay,” he said. “No one has heard from her. Josh and the kids are back and she would not leave her children and she would not leave her purse.

Cox told friends of Susan that he and his wife are headed to Salt Lake City Friday.

A facebook www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=198478842187&topic=15637#/group.php?v=wall&gid=198478842187 comprised of friends of Susan Powell indicated that a massive search by volunteers is gaining momentum.
fatcatlurker
Monkey Junky

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »

I wonder what the wet spot on the floor of the house is?  Two fans?  The floor must of been soaked.  I think it's just a matter of time. 

No way this woman just walked out without her children.  She seems like she was letting those around her know that she had concerns and fear about her situation and she wanted them to be on the look out for her.

I can never understand why some people just can't let it go and get a divorce but I guess the problem (psychopathic illness) was there all along.  Idk but it's a damn waste. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.