April 19, 2024, 08:28:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 353207 times)
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1020 on: April 01, 2010, 12:35:10 PM »

interesting jen 

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1021 on: April 01, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »

Volunteer ground search organizers optimistic about April 10 search for Susan Cox Powell (Slideshow)
Photos of West Desert courtesy of Linda Osborne, photos of Susan Cox Powell courtesy of Susan's friends and family

April 1, 2010 - Search organizers are optimistic and are moving forward with the April 10 ground search effort for clues into the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell. Because of the search they have faith that something will be found before or during the search.

Safety, logistical, and liability concerns have been raised by law enforcement and Susan's family. Search organizers will issue a press release Friday addressing those concerns.

Examiner.com will publish the press release Friday and will keep its readers updated as information becomes available.

In the meantime, David Schirado, the Battalion Chief for Bridgerland Fire Company, posted on the Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook page that his company has been put in charge of the medical portion of the search on April 10.

"Being an all volunteer group," he said, "we have been seeking sponsors to buy the necessary supplies our team needs to assure a safe search for everyone and to deal with emergencies."

Schirado says hopefully no one will be injured during the search but they will be ready should the need arise.

"If anyone would like to be a sponsor they can email us at bridgerlandfire@gmail.com," Schirado said. "Any donations will need to be received by April 5 so we can get our order in and receive it by the search date. I look forward to working with everyone on April 10."

Comments have been made that searching the Simpson Springs area makes no sense since police say they've intensely searched the area. However, combing an area after police have searched is not uncommon.

In the case of Morgan D. Harrington, 20, who disappeared in Virginia, Ed Smart went to assist in organizing a ground search effort where police had already searched. Smart said, "Searchers can go over an area three times before they find something."

When one Texas man went missing about 200 volunteers searched far and wide. It was the largest search people had seen in their county. The Fire Chief said, "Basically we're combing back over the area, we have more resources now to go back over the area to really get after it with canines and horseback and really go over the area with a fine tooth comb and try to find this missing person."

In early January, when Susan had been missing less than a month, Shelby Gifford, spokesperson for Susan's family, said, "The family is very aware of the offers to help [in a volunteer ground search effort] and are cataloging those offers of service and so are the police. When and if the time comes we will use as many of those services as needed. The family expresses a great deal of gratitude for what people are doing.”

Susan has been missing for nearly four months. Her friends and family have done an excellent job in keeping Susan's name and photo in the media.

However, Susan is still missing and the public has received no new information from police indicating they are any closer to finding her.

People have anxiously awaited springtime so people can go out and physically search for clues into Susan's disappearance.

Organizers of the search have said they are optimistic good will come from this search. They are looking for like-minded professionals to gather to search the West Desert for clues into Susan's disappearance. More information will be provided of the role of the general public in Friday's press release.

Organizers told Examiner.com they have received an overwhelming response, including offers from trained professionals. Some are experienced search and rescue teams, some have firefighting experience, others have medical experience, and even those with prior or current military experience have volunteered to join in the search.

There has been an outpouring of support from people who are passionate about this search and the good it will bring. Many of Susan's friends and family are excited about the huge media exposure the search will undoubtedly bring, as they believe it is vital to keep Susan's story in the news.

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m4d1-Volunteer-ground-search-organizers-optimistic-about-April-10-search-for-Susan-Cox-Powell-Slideshow

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1022 on: April 03, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »

In the latest Enquirer:

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1023 on: April 03, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »

Mike Catts
Mojave Underground Search and Rescue

mikecatts@mojaveunderground.com

801-830-0596

They specialize in deep mine searches.. 

http://mojaveunderground.com/

I agree..
Most likely in a mine shaft... Do not call the ghosts busters, call these people instead.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1024 on: April 03, 2010, 02:04:57 PM »

EDWARD!! You're Psychic!!   

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1025 on: April 03, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »

lol.. Nope.. I am just One Monkey amongst many.

cw618
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1026 on: April 03, 2010, 08:45:26 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:54:09 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

goodmorn,goodnite, got to go, as always its been wonderful, talking with you, and most of all have a great day, and dont forget to smile
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1027 on: April 04, 2010, 07:24:17 PM »

Friends and family of Susan Cox Powell offer the public an alternative to ground searching

(friends and family need response Wed., April 7)

www.Examiner.com

April 10 Ground search effort for Susan Cox Powell

Cache County, Utah (April 2, 2010) - The outpouring of support from the public and from professionals for the April 10 ground search for clues into Susan Cox Powell's disappearance has been greatly appreciated. While appreciative of the search efforts, the Susan Cox Powell Foundation, her family and her friends, are not affiliated with the search.

Organizers of the search have also received an overwhelming response from trained professionals with offers to help. Some are experienced search and rescue teams while others have firefighting, medical, law enforcement, and military experience.

All of those professionals who have come forward to volunteer their time, equipment, and expertise would not pass up the opportunity to help a fellow citizen. Tooele County Sheriff's Department and West Valley City Police Department, among others, have expressed concerns in regard to a large-scale volunteer ground search in the West Desert. Among concerns raised are safety, logistical, liability issues, the possible destruction of evidence, searchers becoming lost or injured, searchers encountering wildlife, parking issues, spotty cell phone reception, and no medical facility within 50 miles, among other concerns.

The liability issue raised concerns for everyone involved and prompted search organizers to re-evaluate and eventually cede command of the search to qualified professionals. In response to those concerns the April 10 search for Susan Powell will now be conducted by a group of certified and trained professionals capable of carrying out a sophisticated search.

It has been determined that a smaller, more manageable search would be safer and more effective. For this reason we are no longer asking for the support of the general public in the ground search. We regret that the search is now closed to the public. We are very appreciative of everyone who has shown their willingness to help and hope they continue to show their support in what is best for finding Susan.

Only professionally certified organizations with proper identification and pre-approval from the search organizers will be allowed to participate in the search. It is our hope that a skilled approach to searching will bring quicker results and will encourage other professionals to consider assisting in the search.

If your certified organization would like to help with the search, please e-mail the Incident Commander, Jon Watkins at bridgerlandfire@hotmail.com. Those who would like to donate resources or money to the qualified professionals now conducting the search, may e-mail us at searchdonations@hotmail.com.

We are very appreciative of everyone who has shown their willingness to help. We ask that you keep Susan, her family, and the many trained professionals who will be combing the on April 10 in your thoughts and prayers.

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1028 on: April 04, 2010, 07:28:42 PM »

trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1029 on: April 05, 2010, 07:07:11 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:54:40 PM by MuffyBee » Logged

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1030 on: April 05, 2010, 07:08:13 PM »

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/04/05/Volunteers-excluded-from-search-for-woman/UPI-91911270508102/
Volunteers excluded from search for woman
Published: April 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM
SALT LAKE CITY, April 5 (UPI) -- A group of Utah volunteers who planned to assist in the search for a missing mother of two will not be allowed to join the effort, authorities said.

Cache County residents had planned to help look for Susan Cox Powell, who disappeared from her West Valley City, Utah, home Dec. 7, 2009 under suspicious circumstances, The Salt Lake Tribune reported Monday.

The search area is in the region where Powell's husband, Joshua Powell, told police he went camping with the couple's two young boys the night his wife disappeared, the Tribune said. Local police and sheriffs say the search area in Utah's western desert is dangerous and volunteers could be at risk.

The search would be limited to trained professionals, Bridgerland Fire Co. Chief Jon Watkins said.

"Among concerns raised are safety, logistical, liability issues, the possible destruction of evidence, searchers becoming lost or injured, searchers encountering wildlife, parking issues, spotty cell phone reception, and no medical facility within 50 miles," Watkins said. "We are very appreciative of everyone who has shown their willingness to help. We ask that you keep Susan, her family, and the many trained professionals who will be combing the (area) on April 10 in your thoughts and prayers."

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1031 on: April 05, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »

It doesn't really matter anyway.....because he was not there that night. Like he would actually tell the police where he was?? Of course not...it's a ruse to steer them in the wrong direction.

ISpy
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1032 on: April 07, 2010, 04:31:48 AM »

The key thing for LE is pinpointing about what time Josh Powell left on his little excursion.  In an ideal world, they could then determine how far he conceivably could have gone (max. distance out and back) by the time he left and the time he returned.  Using that info, LE could establish a perimeter for the distance traveled.  Again, in an ideal world, the idea would be to have LE/trained searchers start at the edge of that circle and work their way in towards the Powell home.  Looks great on paper, but hard to transfer to the real world of budget cuts, understaffing, rough terrain, and no witnesses to Josh's departure.  However, we can hope there are forensic clues on that rental car, the boy's car seats/buckles, the boys' bedtime stuffed animals/blankets, etc.  Wonder if there is any children's cold meds/allergy meds in Josh's medicine cabinet that may have some pre-excursion DNA?  Just thinking out loud here.

Forecast for the Day:
God is reigning and the Son is shining.
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1033 on: April 07, 2010, 09:21:11 AM »

New Organizers move forward with plans to search for Susan Powell
Reported by: Brent Hunsaker
Last Update: 4/06 4:09 am
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - There is less than a week to go before the Simpson Springs search for clues in the disappearance of Susan Powell and there are big changes. The original search organizers have stepped aside and the new organizers have closed the search to the general public. It is now for "professionals" only.

This does not mean the search is closed. Volunteers are still welcome, they just have to have certain skills. Chris Willden of Strategic Tactical Group explained, "Individuals are going to have to show some sort of documentation that they've got a background in search and rescue, law enforcement or military or even public safety as far as EMS, medical or fire."

Monday night in a restaurant in Ogden, the first face-to-face meeting was held with the new organizers. Some of those present represent teams with search dogs, others have military and law enforcement training.

There's even a flight instructor who represents a group of pilots with powered parachutes. Their craft is well suited for searches. It can fly low and slow and has unrestricted visibility.

Still, there are hundreds of volunteers who were counting on participating in the search at Simpson Springs who are no longer welcome. Obviously there is disappointment and even some hurt feelings. Even though the family of Susan Cox Powell did not endorse the search, Kiirsi Hellewell understands those feelings, "The idea of doing a search is something that a lot of people have wanted to do since Susan disappeared and were very excited about."
Kiirsi Hellewell is offering an alternative activity. It won't be the west desert, just West Valley. And it won't be searching, just passing out fliers and perhaps a pot luck lunch. Hellewell said, "It's just to let people know that we're still here. We still need information and we need to help the police in any way possible."

For more information on the alternative activity, click here.

If you are a certified organization and would like to help with the search, please e-mail the Incident Commander, Jon Watkins at bridgerlandfire@hotmail.com.

Those who would like to donate resources or money to the search, please e-mail searchdonations@hotmail.com.
Copyright 2010 Newport Television LLC All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
http://www.abc4.com/content/about_4/links_numbers/story/New-Organizers-move-forward-with-plans-to-search/kdSwdZQBbE-rEUEpuub9GQ.cspx

~ Peter Frampton
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1034 on: April 07, 2010, 11:10:08 AM »

The key thing for LE is pinpointing about what time Josh Powell left on his little excursion.  In an ideal world, they could then determine how far he conceivably could have gone (max. distance out and back) by the time he left and the time he returned.  Using that info, LE could establish a perimeter for the distance traveled.  Again, in an ideal world, the idea would be to have LE/trained searchers start at the edge of that circle and work their way in towards the Powell home.  Looks great on paper, but hard to transfer to the real world of budget cuts, understaffing, rough terrain, and no witnesses to Josh's departure.  However, we can hope there are forensic clues on that rental car, the boy's car seats/buckles, the boys' bedtime stuffed animals/blankets, etc.  Wonder if there is any children's cold meds/allergy meds in Josh's medicine cabinet that may have some pre-excursion DNA?  Just thinking out loud here.

That would be anywhere from the time after dinner where the friend leaves and Susan takes a nap.. once the children were put to sleep the game was on.
 When you look at the first video of josh talking to the reporter he is fabricating lies..It is obvious in his expression..
But he says he got a late start.. after 9 ..
But, The neighbor that hears the alarm on the car go off is out best idea of beginning time of travel.
Meds stay in the blood for a long time so the children should have been blood checked on return of Josh to see if they were drugged.
He should have been named suspect and children put with grandparents right off the bat to destabilize Josh.
The children are the trick to release of Josh's screwed up mind.

Poor Susan.
jmho
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1035 on: April 07, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »

http://www.strategictacticalgroup.com/album.html
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1036 on: April 08, 2010, 09:56:35 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m4d7-Susan-Cox-Powell-has-been-missing-four-months-she-is-far-from-forgotten-Slideshow
Susan Cox Powell has been missing four months; she is far from forgotten (Slideshow)
April 7, 9:12 PMSeattle Headlines ExaminerIsabelle Zehnder
April 7, 2010 - It's been four months ago today since Susan Cox Powell, 28, was reported missing and she is far from forgotten.

Her friends, family, and the 46,000+ people who have gotten to know and love Susan, will not rest until she is found and until justice is served. They will do this for Susan, and they will do this for Susan's children, Charlie, 5, and Braden, 3.

Below are comments her friends, family, and Facebook group members have shared on the Friends of Susan Powell Facebook group, the Where is Susan Powell Facebook group, and on the Service for Susan website. Some have known Susan for years, while some have never even met her:

From the Service for Susan Website:

This was written by Kirsii Hellewell, Susan's best friend:

Four months ago today, Susan Cox Powell disappeared from her home.

Her family and friend’s lives were shattered. We never believed this could happen to someone we know—especially Susan, a person who lights up people’s lives and makes everyone smile when she walks into a room. Everyone loves her.

We never believed it would drag on this long and that four months later, we still wouldn’t have answers or that Susan would still be missing.

But there’s still hope—hope that we will find her. We believe we will. We know the police are working day and night to bring her home, and that many thousands of kind and wonderful people the world over are praying and putting time, effort and money into finding her. As I write this, plans are in place to mount a large-scale ground search in Utah’s west desert this Saturday.
Today—both four months since Susan went missing and what would have been Susan’s 9-year wedding anniversary—I’d like to share a little bit about Susan and what kind of person she is. This comes from a church newsletter in Susan’s ward, written in November 2009, just one month before she disappeared. The ladies did an interview “Spotlight” on her as they often do with one or the other of the women in our ward to help everyone get to know each other better. Here it is:

Spotlight: Susan Powell

Susan is the third of four girls and was raised in western Washington state. She and Josh got married in 2001 and moved to Utah in 2004. She has two sons, Charlie and Braden.

Her favorite foods are Greek and Italian. Popcorn and spaghetti are like chocolate to her. Her food philosophy is “Cheese, peanut butter, ranch dressing or A-1 sauce makes anything taste good.”

Her favorites are: color = forest green, lavender/lilac purple; songs = “I Don’t Understand,” “Which Part is Mine” and “Celebrating the Light” by Michael McLean; books = anything murder/mystery, especially Mary Higgins Clark; movies = Enchanted, Get Smart, and most Disney movies.

Her hobbies are: crocheting, doing yard work, cleaning, doing hair, American Sign Language, yoga and pilates.

Her favorite places to go are Washington State to see her family and to be outside hiking and camping. She would love to go to Hawaii with her husband.
She is a licensed series 7 and 63 stockbroker, real estate agent and cosmetologist. She highly believes in saving money by growing a garden and becoming more self-sufficient with your food storage.

Thoughts shared on the Family and Friends of Susan Powell Facebook group:

Holly Stafford Wesley wrote Susan a poem:

We think of you today, but that is nothing new, we thought about you yesterday, and days before that, too. We think of you in silence, we often speak your name. All we have are memories and a picture in a frame. Your memory is a keepsake, from which we'll never part. God has an Angel to watch over you. We have you in our hearts!

Tina Anderson wrote:

"The thoughts of the season brought me back to thoughts of Susan. My prayers are with you all. I wish the searchers luck this coming weekend, and my heart aches for the loss that is being felt by all. God Bless, and with luck, bring Susan home."

Sonja Stewart wrote:

"Oh Susan. My heart still aches for you. Easter got me thinking of you and your boys. They didn't have Mommy to share in the joy and wonder of Easter and egg hunts. The purple bow still hangs where I can see it every day. Until you are brought home to the family and friends who love you so much it hurts, the ribbon will hang for you. Much love to Susan's family and friends. Again and again I will shed a tear for all of you."
Kristin Rothwell Payne wrote:

"Praying for new information to come to light this weekend. For those searching, please be careful. For those praying, don't give up. For those hoping, keep the faith."

Glenda Ryser wrote:

"Somehow it just doesn't seem like 4 months have passed. Although I don't personally know Susan, I feel sadness in my heart that she's still not been found. God bless her precious baby boys who I KNOW are missing their mommy and asking daddy where she is! … My heart breaks for those tiny boys! I'm confused, as I know we all are. God bless Susan... Father God, show us.... show us...."

Thoughts shared on the Where is Susan Powell Facebook group:

Lorren Kelly wrote:

"Whoever is responsible for Susan going missing should know that she has never left her friends, her boys, her family and other loved ones. Each and every one of us has Susan in our hearts and she will remain there."

"Susan hasn't been seen since Dec 7th, but since then her beautiful smile has shone for so many people," Kelly said. "Susan is missing but not forgotten. She will always be around, everyday in her boys. She cannot just be erased.

Kate Bower wrote:

"Susan has touched the lives of thousands all around the world...we won't let her be forgotten. We will find her and bring her home, we will ensure her precious boys know the truth as they grow and we won't let who ever harmed her get away with it!!!"

Linda Blair wrote:

"How is it that we can miss her so much and we didn't know her? I feel that is is part of my very extended family. I see her smile and feel her laughter and warmth....Susan come back to us...."

Debbie Caldwell wrote:

I know one day we will all look back and some how understand this better. It's the time between now and then that is driving me crazy. It's going to be a warm weekend here so My hubby and I are going to go look some more up by where Susan worked to see if we can get any clues to where she might be. We are trying to rule out all our theories and some of yours. The problem is the needle in the haystack. I'm counting on everyone getting out this year and enjoying the great out doors. Wink"

Linda Osborne wrote of the search on Saturday:

"It's great to hear about the powered parachutes! There are some ravines that are very difficult to access on foot. If any are equiped with video it would be that much better as things could be later viewed on high resolution monitors. Although this search effort has had is ups and downs, I'm very optimistic and hope there will be many more searches after this one."
Caryn Macquet Fortune wrote:

"Susan gave Josh the deadline of April 6th to turn his behavior around and start making their marriage something worth fighting for. This is their wedding anniversary, if I remember correctly. How I wish we could find her in time for her to keep this deadline. Even if we don't find her by tomorrow, I believe we'll find ...her very soon. And Susan WILL have the last word. She deserves at least that. And, finally, her precious sons will get the love and care that they, too, so deserve."

Linda Blair wrote:

"I wonder if he [Josh] will talk to the kids and explain that it's their wedding (his & Susan's) anniversary....or will it just be another day without their mother...sooo sad....does anyone know what's going on with the boys. Have they had any contact with Susan's parents....I thought of those boys when I was donating the beanie babies in Susan's name and what a comfort that something as small as that can make a child smile when something bad is happening...."

April Steelman wrote:

Saw on Friends and Family of Susan Powell Facebook group where someone saw Josh, his Dad and the boys on an Easter egg hunt yesterday. Funny they can go searching for colored eggs.... ..just wondering how they've justified to those kids the importance of looking for those eggs and not their Mom...."
Few details of the case:

Susan Cox Powell, 28, went missing from her West Valley City home Dec. 6. Her husband, Josh Powell, is the last known person to see her when she went to bed at midnight. He told police and media that just after Susan went to bed he took their two young sons, then ages 2 and 4, on an overnight camping trip.

It was snowing that night and temperatures were subfreezing. He claims he forgot what day it was and that he went camping because he and his boys liked to do S'Mores. He said when he returned the following day his wife had disappeared and he didn't know where she was.

His story has been largely criticized and disbelieved.

Josh Powell is the only person of interest in what police call a missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones.

If you have something you'd like to share, please feel free to share your comments in the "Comments" section below.
View Slide Show  http://www.examiner.com/examinerslideshow.html?entryid=1155133

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1037 on: April 08, 2010, 09:58:47 AM »

From above........
Caryn Macquet Fortune wrote:

"Susan gave Josh the deadline of April 6th to turn his behavior around and start making their marriage something worth fighting for. This is their wedding anniversary, if I remember correctly. How I wish we could find her in time for her to keep this deadline. Even if we don't find her by tomorrow, I believe we'll find ...her very soon. And Susan WILL have the last word. She deserves at least that. And, finally, her precious sons will get the love and care that they, too, so deserve."

~ Peter Frampton
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1038 on: April 08, 2010, 10:02:41 AM »

~ Peter Frampton
Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1039 on: April 08, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »

Thanks Trimm!   

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.