March 28, 2024, 04:11:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 352693 times)
trimmonthelake
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1080 on: May 03, 2010, 09:18:50 AM »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/03/grace.coldcase.powell/?hpt=Sbin
Stockbroker vanished; husband left town with kids
By Rupa Mikkilineni, Nancy Grace Producer
May 3, 2010 8:52 a.m. EDT

New York (CNN) -- Tom McLachlan, a police captain in West Valley, Utah, felt a surge of adrenalin when he received a phone call two weeks ago from authorities some 200 miles away in Idaho.

A motorist looking for a better cell phone signal had found female skeletal remains on a hilltop near Idaho Falls. McLachlan had a case on his desk involving a 28-year-old stockbroker and mother of two who vanished in December under suspicious circumstances.

Could the body be Susan Powell's?

McLachlan says he now has doubts. The skeletal remains seemed to have been there much longer than Susan Powell has been missing.

"Susan has been missing for five months, so the body is likely not her," he told CNN. "We need to wait until DNA tests come back, which could take up to a few weeks."

Susan Powell's disappearance is the kind of case that gets under an investigator's skin. Right now, police have plenty of suspicion but scant evidence.
Powell simply vanished, leaving her purse, wallet and cell phone behind in her home.

Her husband, Josh Powell, told police she was asleep when he left after midnight, taking their children, ages 2 and 4, on a camping trip in below-freezing weather.
He told police he spent the early morning hours of December 7 with his children in the family van in Simpson Springs Campground, a 90-minute drive from the Powells' home.

Police entered the case that Monday afternoon. The children had not been dropped off at day care and neither Josh nor Susan Powell had shown up at work. No one had heard from them.

"We were concerned that the family was in the house and some accident, maybe a gas leak, had injured them," said McLachlan. "So we broke into the home when no one answered the door."

Police sources told CNN that officers found a large wet spot on the carpet in the home. It was being dried by two fans, they said, but would give no further details.

West Valley police say Josh Powell is they only person they's looking at, but they are not calling him a suspect in his wife's disappearance. They say they have no physical evidence of foul play.

CNN called several times seeking comment from Josh Powell and his attorney, Scott Williams. The phone calls were not returned.

Police say they have been unable to confirm Powell's story about the camping trip. They searched the campground, but any potential evidence had been covered by heavy snow.
Police characterize Josh Powell as being uncooperative, saying he would not lead them to the exact location of the camp site. In January, he packed up his belongings and moved with the children to his parents' home in Puyallup, Washington.

Susan Powell's father, Charles Cox, told CNN she is not the kind of person who would go off on her own without contacting her family.

"She would never leave those two children behind," Cox said.

Susan Powell's father says there was trouble in the marriage, with financial pressures being the primary issue between the couple. Josh had been unemployed until just before his wife disappeared.

In the months leading up to her disappearance, Susan Powell had talked about getting a divorce, family and friends told CNN. They asked that their names not be published because the investigation is ongoing.

Police are asking for the public's help in solving this case. Susan Powell stands 5-foot-3, is 130 pounds and has brown hair and blue eyes.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Susan Powell is asked to call the West Valley Police Department tip line at (801) 840-4000. An $11,000 reward is offered.

~241~ "The Longer You Love,The Longer You Live,The Stronger You Feel,The More You Can Give."
~ Peter Frampton
Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1081 on: May 03, 2010, 01:10:02 PM »

Stockbroker vanished; husband left town with kids..

Pay attention LE and Media..
His only stability is the kids.

Seperate him from them.
jmho
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1082 on: May 03, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »

I agree Edward....I feel like he is mentally ill...and a threat to his children.

Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

RIP Grumpy Cat :( I will miss you.

« Reply #1083 on: May 05, 2010, 06:49:18 AM »

Thinking back to the wet spot on the rug (with a fan blowing on it) ........ surely they know by now what it was. If it wasn't blood, then why won't they say what it was?

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

One who doesn't trust is never deceived...

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1084 on: May 05, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »

I am concerned about his children being left with him..a murder/suicide involving him and the children.especially if the police get too close to finding Susan or if there is a hint of an arrest coming his way.  I agree, separate him from the children!

newfie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1085 on: May 05, 2010, 09:42:11 AM »

Hi ALL... I too share your concern of Josh being an unstable parent. Why does the dept. of children services feel that it is normal to take your two very young children out of bed in the middle of the night in sub-zero temperatures to drive miles away to camp? Josh also shows no concern regarding their mother who is presumably missing. ( more likely deceased at this point)  I too wonder why no one has said what the stain was with the two fans blowing on them.  I feel this is becoming a trend lately. Are these husbands watching and reading about crimes and learning how to get away with murder? The other latest case re: Venus Stewart seems to be heading down this same path.
It took LE a week to locate cars, husband has an alibi etc. LE is clueless and the woman remain missing, most likely dead. sorry to go off topic.
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1086 on: May 05, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »

Interesting comment (recent) here...what so many of us fear (mine shaft)

http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper/tabid/100/view/frontpage/articleid/358414/newspaperid/3164/Mother_missing_father_disappeared_with_children.aspx

Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware/Of giving your heart to a dog to tear  -- Rudyard Kipling

'I remained too much inside my head and ended up losing my mind' -Edgar Allen Poe
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #1087 on: May 05, 2010, 04:11:42 PM »

And who the heck brings up a subject of disposing a body in a mine shaft at a Christmas party?  WTH
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1088 on: May 06, 2010, 07:43:39 AM »

Just an FYI ....

The body found almost two weeks ago outside of Ammon has been positively identified Wednesday as Stephanie Eldridge.
http://www.kpvi.com/Global/story.asp?S=12435571

Edward
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1089 on: May 06, 2010, 10:39:17 AM »

Some info on Stepanie Eldridge.. I do not know if we have athread on her ..
Missing since 2007
Idaho falls
http://www.kpvi.com/Global/story.asp?S=7101189
newfie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1090 on: May 06, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »

How sad.... Thanks for the articles. It took 3 years to find her, and still no real closure. 
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1091 on: May 09, 2010, 03:12:06 PM »

5 months.....no answer, when the answer is right in front of everyones face...  Totally unacceptable  This isn't like a stranger abduction...this should have been solved in the first week...PERIOD! Disgraceful 

suzyinpgh
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1092 on: May 10, 2010, 08:31:57 AM »

5 months.....no answer, when the answer is right in front of everyones face...  Totally unacceptable  This isn't like a stranger abduction...this should have been solved in the first week...PERIOD! Disgraceful 

I agree.  I check in here almost everyday to see if there is any news.  Nothing.  It is a disgrace.  The husband should have been watched a little bit closer in the beginning.   
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1093 on: May 10, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »

Susan Cox Powell: Exclusive interview with Debbie Caldwell re her visit with Susan’s parents

May 10, 2010 - Chuck and Judy Cox, parents of Susan Cox Powell, the 28-year-old mother who disappeared from her West Valley City home in early December, travelled from their Puyallup, Washington home to West Valley City Utah last week. The purpose of their trip was to visit friends and family.

Judy had not been to West Valley City since Susan’s disappearance.

During their trip they stopped and visited Debbie Caldwell, who cared for the Coxes’ grandchildren before their daughter disappeared.

Caldwell said today's been especially hard on her. "It's Mother's Day," she said, "I cried through the entire church service this morning, wondering if anyone is talking with Charlie and Braden about their mommy on Mother's Day."

Examiner.com's Exclusive Interview with Debbie Caldwell - her visit with Chuck and Judy Cox:

This week Chuck and Judy Cox stopped by Caldwell's home to visit and get an inside view of a day in the life of their grandsons. Something neither of them had ever had the opportunity to do.

It was an emotional evening for Caldwell, who held back tears as she recounted her visit with the Coxes.

“The Coxes were able to meet one of the moms in my daycare who told Chuck and Judy that her son was Charlie and Braden’s best friend. The child’s mother broke down and cried, feeling bad about it the next day,” Caldwell said.

“It’s been really difficult on our group. I’ve been in tears all day thinking about Charlie and Braden and if they even know it’s Mother’s Day today. And if they even talked about their mommy today,” she said.

“Or, was it just another day? From what I’ve heard, it doesn’t seem that Josh wants to talk to the kids about their mom,” Caldwell said.

“Chuck and Judy asked for places to search for Susan, and I was at a loss. I just don’t know. I wish I did,” she said.

“Judy thanked me for looking for Susan, and for calling the emergency contacts and letting people know Susan hadn’t shown up to daycare the day she went missing,” Caldwell said. “I was the one who alerted everyone that Susan hadn’t shown up with the kids, which was very unusual for her.”

Caldwell said she believes that sometimes people can be as close to some of their friends as they are with their own family. Especially in cases when their family is living far away, as in Susan’s case. Caldwell said she and Susan had formed a bond and that they were very close.

“I shared some of the stories Susan told about me about her mom and dad. I told them how she felt bad because she realized, after becoming a mom, that there were times she could have been more obedient. She never did anything bad, but she felt she could have made things easier on her mom,” Caldwell said.

“I told Chuck and Judy how Susan really felt about them, because she shared that information with me. She said her mom was a great example and she really looked up to her,” she said.

“I told them Susan was extremely fond of her dad and how Susan thought the sun rose with her dad. She thought he was the most amazing man and as she grew older, she recognized it more,” Caldwell said.

“As far as the case,” Caldwell said. “I don’t know what to think anymore. I’m as frustrated as the other 40,000+ people on Facebook.”

“On the flipside,” Caldwell said, “I know Ellis Maxwell and he’s an excellent detective at West Valley City Police. That gives me more faith in the investigation. I believe if there’s an answer to be found he’ll be the one to figure it out. He has an excellent reputation in this town.”

“And as far as Josh, his behavior tells me he’s lying and he’s hiding. Why else would he have packed up the kids and left like that?” she asked.

“Why would he do that to his kids?” Caldwell asked. “Why would he uproot them like that? They lost their mom, they lost their family, they lost their friends, and they lost their home.”

“What kind of caring father would do that to his children? I keep asking that question and there’s no good answer,” she said.

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m5d10-Susan-Cox-Powell-Exclusive-interview-with-Debbie-Caldwell-re-her-visit-with-Susans-parents

mizjay
Monkey Junky

« Reply #1094 on: May 11, 2010, 02:20:24 AM »

Checking in and see there's no news. Out of all the cases, this seems like it could and should have been 'solved' within days. And I'm with NUT~ what were those stains?   The mine shaft statement is probably exactly where she is. Wonder if that comment was made because they had taken a camping trip in the months prior to that where he might have seen an abandoned shaft and he was already formulating a long/short range murder plan? 
Nut44x4
Maine - USA
Global Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1095 on: May 11, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »

Susan Cox Powell search continues
Reported by: Noah Bond
Last Update: 5/10 7:37 am 

WEST VALLEY, Utah - (ABC 4 News) - Another search was planned for any sign of the West Valley mother of two who vanished about five months ago.  Volunteers are looking for Susan Cox Powell.

The Bridgerland Fire Department organized the search in Utah's West Desert around Davis Mountain.  The search started May 8 at 6:00 a.m.  The effort was organized without the family's request, but her parents are grateful for the help.

Susan's parents drove down from Washington State to help with the search.  Charles and Judith Cox tell say they feels empty inside. They say there is a hole in their family. They desperately hope their daughter is still alive, but if she's not they want answers.  "Perhaps she's still alive out there. We're balancing that hope that she's still alive out there," said Charles.

Three paragliders, seven dog teams and several people set out on foot looking for clues about Susan's disappearance. Her mother Judith Cox said she was with the search team to say thanks.  "We appreciate that yeah that they're not giving up and they still want to look," said Judith.

Bridgerland Fire had nothing new to report to the public at the end of the search.  Five months and counting since Susan vanished from her West Valley home.  Her family and friends say they won't give up until they get answers.

"We are still looking for Susan.  This continues for us all day everyday.  It's not something that really ever leaves the forefront of our minds," said Cox Family Spokesperson Shelby Gifford.

Susan's parents still believe someone knows something about their daughters disappearance.  Call West Valley Police with tips about Susan Cox Powell at 801-963-3459.

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Susan-Cox-Powell-search-continues/8TW-W4erkk25iBQnKJ6iiA.cspx?rss=20

Wyks
Monkey All Star

« Reply #1096 on: May 13, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »

"josh powell is one sick f***."

The public reacts to Josh Powell’s Mother’s Day sentiments on the susanpowell.org website

Armenian Lady Dentist blogspot
Thursday, May 13, 2010

http://bit.ly/bZ8uws

May 12, 2010 - The public is reacting with anger and disgust over the Mother’s Day sentiments Josh Powell added to the controversial www.susanpowell.org website that is believed to have been created by him about his missing wife, Susan Cox Powell.

Many people are convinced Josh had something to do with Susan’s disappearance. He remains the only person of interest in what police call a missing person’s case with suspicious criminal overtones.

A link to the new “Mother’s Day” page was added to the Where is Susan Powell Facebook page. It is not being well-received by the public, with the first response being, “Where’s the barf bucket?”

Josh allegedly added a couple of photos of his boys planting flowers and playing outdoors. Some say it’s his attempt of trying to play the role of the good father, and of trying to make people feel sorry for him. Some call him a "master manipulator."

The new page reads, “Happy Mother’s Day Susan. You are the beloved mother of two beautiful boys, who remember you and miss you. We all hope you will come home soon.”

Critics wonder why he would use that choice of words when it’s quite obvious to everyone close to this case that Susan can’t come home.

Linda said, “Josh is such a low-life scum to insinuate that Susan simply left her family with his statement ‘We all hope you will come home soon.’ Note the choice of the word ‘will’ rather than ‘can’.”

“She CAN not come home Josh,” Linda continued, “Because YOU have made that impossible. How dare you insult our intelligence with such trashy additions to a pathetic web page! If you want to participate in honoring Susan, turn yourself in.”

On Websleuths.com, one poster said, "Something I've noticed when he [Josh] was talking to the reporters and also on that web page. he always mentions the kids loving her [Susan] but never once have I heard him say that HE loves her."

People on Websleuths.com surmise Josh is telling his children their mother walked away from them.

Another poster said, "In my opinion, Josh Powell is a vindictive, spiteful person who made this web site to mock those who love Susan Powell. It would not surprise me to learn he and his father were laughing their butts off as they discussed how they imagined people reacting to the web site. I think Josh and his father think this new page is funny and are deriving great pleasure from the attention. I honestly believe they are reading all the comments about this new page and laughing."

One would hope not.

This has gone on for over five months now and Susan’s family and friends continue to say that no way would Susan have left on her own, she would never have left her two young sons.

If there were plans on Susan leaving anyone it was Josh. From what we have learned her plans were to leave him on their wedding anniversary in early April this year, she never got the chance.

KSL reported, "Susan's family has claimed Josh was physically and emotionally abusive toward Susan. They say Susan planned to leave Josh by April 6, the couple's wedding anniversary, if the abuse didn't stop."

<much more at link above/below.. including links to various articles with these questions and more>

*Why would Josh say Susan loved gardening, when the public has learned from those closest to Susan that she gardened out of necessity, not out of love?

*Why has he locked himself in his father’s house with his two kids, running from the press anytime they show up?

*Sure, he goes out now and then, taking photos of his kids playing in parks, but what kind of a life are they really living? Whenever the press arrives they run and hide and call police.

*Why has he canceled appointments to meet with police and evaded their questions?

*Why has he remained silent for over five months?

*Why hasn't he wanted to share his side of the story with media?

*Why does he not continually get in front of cameras on local and National TV pleading for the safe return of his wife?

*Why is he not out actively searching for his wife?

*Why did he not do everything he could to clear his name, like Ed Smart did when his daughter disappeared, or Marc Klaas, so that he could have taken an active role in searching for Susan? Smart and Klaas volunteered to help police clear their names so they could move forward in trying to find their daughters, they didn’t shut down and hide.

Only Josh knows the answers to these questions. But these questions, and others, have led many people to believe he had something to do with his wife’s disappearance.

please let LE get their hands on enough evidence to nail him.

http://bit.ly/bZ8uws

~ 'Things are not always what they seem' ~
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #1097 on: May 14, 2010, 11:55:30 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m5d13-Susan-Cox-Powell-Press-Release-re-June-26-volunteer-ground-search--looking-for-volunteers
Susan Cox Powell: Press Release re June 26 volunteer ground search - looking for volunteers
May 13, 2010

May 13, 2010 - Strategic Tactical Group (STG) is planning another search for clues into Susan Cox Powell's disappearance on June 26, 2010. He is in need of more volunteers for the search to go forward.

People were begging for a way to physically go out and search for Susan. Chris Willden has provided a way to make that possible.

PRESS RELEASE:

Chris Willden, Investigator and Director of Training for Strategic Tactical Group (STG), is organizing another search for missing Utah mom, Susan Cox Powell, missing since December 7, 2009.

The search will be on June 26, 2010 from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM, at a location to be announced, in the Utah west desert.

We need to have at least 30 people to conduct the search, and will accept up to 80 volunteers.

Unlike the last organized search in April, the June search will accept volunteers, but those without police, military or search and rescue certification will need to take a weekend class to qualify to be on a search team.

The cost is only $10 to cover supplies.

The class will be held in the Salt Lake City area the weekend before the search. To sign up for the class email: training@strategictacticalgroup.com

To sign up for the search, email: chris@strategictacticalgroup.com before the deadline of June 11, 2010.

Donations are requested to provide gas, water, food, and other needed supplies.

You may donate through Paypal to: sales@strategictacticalgroup.com.

Or by mail:
Strategic Tactical Group LLC
689 South Main
Bountiful, UT 84010

(Please mark any donations for the Susan Cox Powell search).

Few details of Susan's case:

Susan Cox Powell, 28, went missing from her West Valley City home Dec. 6. Her husband, Josh Powell, is the last known person to see her when she went to bed at midnight. He told police and media that just after Susan went to bed he took their two young sons, then ages 2 and 4, on an overnight camping trip.

It was snowing that night and temperatures were subfreezing. He claims he forgot what day it was and that he went camping because he and his boys liked to do S'Mores. He said when he returned the following day his wife had disappeared and he didn't know where she was.

His story has been largely criticized and disbelieved.

Less than a month after Susan went missing Josh moved their two young sons away from the only support system they knew and into Josh's father's home in Puyallup, Washington.

Josh Powell is the only person of interest in what police call a missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
newfie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1098 on: May 18, 2010, 10:13:26 AM »

If Josh buried Susan, the snow is now melting , the rains are coming and the ground is softening. In the cold winter snow with a hard ground I am sure you could only shovel so far down. I think the clock is ticking!
newfie
Scared Monkey

« Reply #1099 on: May 18, 2010, 10:15:49 AM »

oops I forgot the p.s. 
p.s. The cops need to watch Josh if he comes to Utah. Josh is also somewhat paranoid and may visit the area where Susan was disposed. Keep your eyes peeled Utah LE.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.