March 28, 2024, 05:29:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 352704 times)
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #240 on: December 17, 2009, 04:34:23 PM »

more images of Susan's parents Chuck and Judy Cox
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #241 on: December 17, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »

Cox Family photo
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #242 on: December 17, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »

Family of missing Utah mom speaks out on husband
By MANUEL VALDES (AP) – 6 minutes ago

PUYALLUP, Wash. — The family of a Utah mother who has been missing for 10 days said Thursday they are saddened but not surprised that her husband has been named a person of interest in the investigation.

Susan Powell, a 28-year-old mother of two young children, was reported missing Dec. 7 when she didn't show up for work. She was last seen a day earlier.

Her husband, Josh Powell, said he went camping with the couple's boys, ages 2 and 4, in subfreezing temperatures about 12:30 a.m. on Dec. 7 and returned in the evening.

At a press conference Thursday in Puyallup, Wash., Shelby Gifford, a spokeswoman for Susan Powell's family, said they weren't surprised authorities named the husband a person of interest "given the events and his reactions to them in the past week.

"We know that Susan is an excellent mother and would not have tolerated her children being taken out of the home after midnight to go camping in dangerously cold conditions," Gifford said.

Authorities said Josh Powell's actions have made them increasingly suspicious of him, although he has not been named a suspect.

"Josh's unusual lack of cooperation for a husband looking for his wife with the police department, you know, it certainly causes us to ask questions as to why would he do things to exclude the resources that we can bring to the table to find Susan," West Valley City Asst. Police Chief Craig Black said Wednesday.

But Josh Powell's attorney, Scott Williams, disputed allegations made by police that his client had been uncooperative.

"Despite our continued invitation to be contacted with questions we received no contact from the police today (Wednesday) and as to the nature of prior information, we have answered all questions posed to us since Monday morning," he said. "Josh continues to favor attention on finding Susan and has been cooperating and providing information to that end."

Josh Powell did provide a DNA sample Tuesday to police, as did several other family members. Williams, a defense attorney who often defends high-profile clients, described the DNA testing as routine in such cases.

The Powell home was locked when officers initially arrived and they broke in, fearing the family had suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Susan Powell's father, Charles Cox of Puyallup, Wash., said police found a wet spot in the home being dried by two fans, but police have declined to comment on that.

Investigators said there were no signs of forced entry at the home and they found Susan Powell's purse and cell phone there.

Susan Powell was last seen by someone other than her husband on Dec. 6 — a family friend who ate dinner with her at the couple's home following church.

Kirk Graves, the husband of Josh Powell's sister, told NBC's "Today" show Thursday that his brother-in-law could be controlling, and was an "interesting person" with a "different" personality.

Asked whether he thought his brother-in-law had something to do with Susan Powell's disappearance, Graves said he's avoided analyzing the question.

"Too many emotions, too many family members. I just pray no," he said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jE-50f71E8ypwigW42nKuDx27hxAD9CLADUO0
MunkeyMunk
Scared Monkey

MONAVIE- Drink it. Feel it. Share it.

« Reply #243 on: December 17, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »

Those two tables of Susan's family need to go corner Joshua and make him talk!!!
AmandaReckonwith
Scared Monkey

« Reply #244 on: December 17, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »

Susan's album updated:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Susan%20Powell/

Northern Rose, may I add your family shot?

Saved pictures and vids from lots of cases:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #245 on: December 17, 2009, 06:40:35 PM »

Susan's album updated:

You can add any screen shot I grab on any of the threads.

Thank you for keeping these out there in the public.   an angelic monkey
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #246 on: December 17, 2009, 06:42:05 PM »

Susan Powell's family is between a rock and a hard place.  Family members are walking a fine line.  Josh is the father of those children and ... a continued connection with those two boys if Josh should not be held accountable for the death of their mother ... dictates an intact relationship.

The Susan and Josh Powell story has given me flashbacks.

Our daughter was in a controlling relationship for one year when she was 21.  This guy was very good looking and very charming.  They both shared a mutual faith.  He was a graduate from the local Christian University and ... had been accepted into a prominent accounting firm in Vancouver, BC.  He came from a very loving close family.

However ... this young man was so insecure with the relationship and ... he didn't have to be.  Our daughter was in love.  It seemed our daughter had to account for her every minute ... what she was doing ... who she was talking to.  He was jealous of her friendships.  He was jealous of her family relationships.

Right from the getgo ... this wannabe detective ... sensed that something was not right.  When I voiced my concern ... my daughter would staunchly defend him and ... continued to appease him to keep the peace.  It was so sad.  Our daughter had been such an independent young lady.  I learned to keep quiet and ... cry at night.  I reasoned if the relationship ended in marriage ... I would be the loser.  I did not want to be alienated from my daughter and future grandchildren.

Thankfully our daughter came to her senses ... ended the relationship when she realized there was nothing she could do to change the situation.  Although this guy had never been physically abusive ... I was concerned in regards to a possible backlash.  Thankfully ... it never happened and a short time later our daughter went to Thailand on the mission field on a two year commitment.  My hubby and I missed her terribly but ... everything is relative  We rathered she was half way across the world than in a controlling relationship.

Janet   

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #247 on: December 17, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »

BLOCKED WEBSITE
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:32:05 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
AmandaReckonwith
Scared Monkey

« Reply #248 on: December 17, 2009, 06:44:01 PM »

Susan's album updated:

Thanks a bunch. (I do it with love, most times)

Saved pictures and vids from lots of cases:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #249 on: December 17, 2009, 06:44:48 PM »

WEBSITE BLOCKED
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:32:32 PM by MuffyBee » Logged
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #250 on: December 17, 2009, 06:47:01 PM »

Susan's album updated:

Thanks a bunch. (I do it with love, most times)

I understand that. 
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #251 on: December 17, 2009, 06:52:15 PM »

Susan has such a beautiful smile..you can just feel the warmth of her personality in every picture of her.

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #252 on: December 17, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »

Susan has such a beautiful smile..you can just feel the warmth of her personality in every picture of her.

It was obvious that she was loved by her family and that they are very close from the press conference today.  They will need to lean on each other through this. 
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #253 on: December 17, 2009, 07:34:14 PM »

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Forensic-crews-ramp-up-crime-investigation-at/pVZEv2JFnUmBSQZpGuBVpg.cspx

Forensic crews ramp up crime investigation at Powell home
Written by: Dan Metcalf Jr.

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah (ABC 4 News) - Crime scene investigators re-entered the home of Josh and Susan Powell on Thursday, as the street surrounding a West Valley neighborhood was sealed off.

Forensic teams were seen entering the home and leaving with evidence to be taken in for analysis.

Crime scene tape and several vehicles blocked access to the cul-de-sac where the Powell family lives.

Susan Powell has been missing since December 6, and her husband Josh has been named as the only person of interest in the case, which police now consider a crime.

West Valley Police Captian Tom McLachlan later confirmed to ABC 4 News that investigators di serve a new warrant at the Powell home on Thursday, but would not elaborate on what prompted the new search.

Several investigators were seen leaving the home carrying bags of evidence.

(snipped)
MuffyBee
Former Moderator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #254 on: December 17, 2009, 09:27:53 PM »

http://tinyurl.com/yh4upv6

Cops: Missing Utah mom's son confirms camping trip

By MANUEL VALDES and JENNIFER DOBNER, Associated Press Writers Manuel Valdes And Jennifer Dobner, Associated Press Writers   – 7 mins ago

PUYALLUP, Wash. – Police searched the home of a missing Utah mother on Thursday as family members held a tearful news conference in which they expressed their sadness that the husband has been named a person of interest in the investigation.

Susan Powell, a 28-year-old mother of two young children, was reported missing Dec. 7 when she didn't show up for her stockbroker job at a bank. She was last seen a day earlier.

Her husband, Josh Powell, said he went camping with the couple's boys, ages 2 and 4, in subfreezing temperatures in the middle of the night Dec. 7 and returned in the evening.

West Valley City Police Capt. Tom McLachlan on Thursday said the 4-year-old boy was interviewed within "a day or two" after his mother was reported missing. The son told police his family went camping — an event his father has said coincided with her disappearance.

"I think the verification of the camping trip is important to the timeline on this," McLachlan said, cautioning against placing too much importance on the child's statement.

Meanwhile Thursday, Susan Powell's family members held a news conference in Washington state, where her parents live.

Eight members of Susan Powell's family were present, including her mother, two sisters, grandparents and a brother-in-law. As family friend and spokeswoman Shelby Gifford spoke about Powell's life, several members broke down in tears and embraced each other.

"Helpless, it just comes to mind. Totally dependent upon others. Impatient. I want my daughter to be back. I'm heartbroken she is gone," Susan Powell's father, Charles Cox, said in an interview with The Associated Press in Puyallup.

The husband is not a suspect, but authorities said he has demonstrated a frustrating lack of cooperation that has only increased their suspicion of him. Police suspect foul play.

Investigators searched the Powell home for a second time in nine days Thursday, but would not disclose what was taken. Police have also searched Josh Powell's van.

Court records show that the family filed for bankruptcy in 2007, but Gifford declined to talk about the couple's financial history. She characterized their marriage as normal, with ups and downs.

McLachlan declined to comment on whether police had obtained a notebook or journal from Susan Powell's office, which reportedly detailed an alleged threat made by her husband about a year ago. Cox said police found a wet spot in the home being dried by two fans, but police have declined to comment on that.

Investigators said there were no signs of forced entry at the home and they found Susan Powell's purse and cell phone there.

Gifford said friends and family members weren't surprised authorities named the husband a person of interest "given the events and his reactions to them in the past week."

"We know that Susan is an excellent mother and would not have tolerated her children being taken out of the home after midnight to go camping in dangerously cold conditions," Gifford said.

Meanwhile, police said investigators have discussed conducting a polygraph test of Josh Powell, but no such interview has occurred.

"He is not allowing us the opportunity to interview him at length in order to verify his statements and also to get more specifics," McLachlan said. "His statements are absolutely vague."

Josh Powell's attorney, Scott Williams, disputed allegations made that his client had been uncooperative. Josh Powell has spoken to police and provided a DNA sample this week, as did several other family members. Williams, a defense attorney who often defends high-profile clients, described the DNA testing as routine in such cases.

Police have not sought to restrict Powell's movements by asking him to surrender a passport, because they don't have sufficient information to make that request, McLachlan said.

When asked what his reaction was to his son-in-law being named a person of interest, Cox replied: "I hope it's not true. I hope it's not true."

He added he believes his daughter is alive.

"As a father I can't give up the hope that she is still alive," Cox said.

Gifford said the couple's two boys — Charlie and Braden — are staying with Joshua Powell and at his sister's home at the moment. She said the family has access to the children, and Cox said he feels his grandchildren are safe with Josh Powell.

Josh Powell's brother-in-law, Kirk Graves, said the family is "not doing well," and struggling to deal with Susan's Powell's disappearance. He said Susan Powell's young boys — ages 4 and 2_ have asked about their mother's whereabouts.

"It's coming up on Christmas and this is about the worst time of year to have the very worst thing happen to you," Graves said.

___

Jennifer Dobner reported from Salt Lake City.

" Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."  - Daniel Moynihan
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #255 on: December 18, 2009, 09:52:15 AM »

Susan Powell's family speaks as police serve a search warrant at her house

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah (ABC 4 News) - The family of Susan Powell talked with reporters Thursday from their hometown of Puyallup, Washington. At the same time, police in West Valley City, Utah were back at the Powell home with another search warrant.

Detectives and forensic investigators arrived around 1:30 p.m. and didn't leave until just before 4:00 p.m. They took swabs of something on the front steps and a window sill. They removed brown paper sacks of items from the home.

What were they looking for? And did they find it? A police spokesman isn't saying. But this was at least the 3rd visit by a crime scene investigation unit to the home since Susan Powell disappeared a week ago Sunday and it comes as Joshua Powell, Susan's husband, has been named as a person of interest in her disappearance.

Reacting to that, Cox family spokeswoman Shelby Gifford said, "It breaks our hearts, but we're not surprised."

Gifford said that since Susan has been gone, her two young children have been spending time with their paternal grandparents, an aunt and uncle and their father. Reporters asked if they were concerned for the children's safety when they're with Joshua.  She said no. She said Josh has been a good father.

And yet, they dispute his account of the night Susan disappeared.

He claims around midnight on Sunday, December 6th, he took the kids on a camping trip. That Sunday night a major winter storm was blowing into Utah. Speaking for the Cox family, Shelby Gifford said Susan would never have let her kids go camping on such a night. "That's a huge red flag to the family. Susan is an exceptional mother and those boys are her whole life. She is as nurturing and protective of a mother as I've ever met."

Despite the time elapsed, members of the Cox family say they remain hopeful that Susan will be found alive.

http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/story/Susan-Powells-family-speaks-as-police-serve-a/NfKznDTU8kWl1-KA6JRyiw.cspx
cookie
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #256 on: December 18, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »

the dad could have taken the kids "somewhere" and perhaps started a fire and said, isn't it fun camping? and that could be why the 4 yr old said what ever he said about being camping..know what I mean?
he could have disposed of Susan along the way to "camping"..imo..He did something to her...
perhaps he had put something in her food to make her so tired that she had to go take a nap while her friend was there visiting...very odd since it wasn't late in the evening when Susan wanted to take a nap..that drugging may have made her unable to defend herself or made her unconscious or maybe even killed her..then he took her somewhere to hide her body?  ok..I know that I am being a monkey sleuth here but my hinky meter is really up with this guy...

ScareyCarrie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #257 on: December 18, 2009, 10:35:23 AM »

Susan Powell's family speaks as police serve a search warrant at her house

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah (ABC 4 News) - The family of Susan Powell talked with reporters Thursday from their hometown of Puyallup, Washington. At the same time, police in West Valley City, Utah were back at the Powell home with another search warrant.

Detectives and forensic investigators arrived around 1:30 p.m. and didn't leave until just before 4:00 p.m. They took swabs of something on the front steps and a window sill. They removed brown paper sacks of items from the home.

What were they looking for? And did they find it? A police spokesman isn't saying. But this was at least the 3rd visit by a crime scene investigation unit to the home since Susan Powell disappeared a week ago Sunday and it comes as Joshua Powell, Susan's husband, has been named as a person of interest in her disappearance.

Reacting to that, Cox family spokeswoman Shelby Gifford said, "It breaks our hearts, but we're not surprised."

Gifford said that since Susan has been gone, her two young children have been spending time with their paternal grandparents, an aunt and uncle and their father. Reporters asked if they were concerned for the children's safety when they're with Joshua.  She said no. She said Josh has been a good father.

And yet, they dispute his account of the night Susan disappeared.

He claims around midnight on Sunday, December 6th, he took the kids on a camping trip. That Sunday night a major winter storm was blowing into Utah. Speaking for the Cox family, Shelby Gifford said Susan would never have let her kids go camping on such a night. "That's a huge red flag to the family. Susan is an exceptional mother and those boys are her whole life. She is as nurturing and protective of a mother as I've ever met."

Despite the time elapsed, members of the Cox family say they remain hopeful that Susan will be found alive.

http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/story/Susan-Powells-family-speaks-as-police-serve-a/NfKznDTU8kWl1-KA6JRyiw.cspx

I wonder if the evidence brought out included a peice of carpet?????
Lovinlife
Monkey Junky

« Reply #258 on: December 18, 2009, 10:36:03 AM »

Skirting in on Cookies coat tails...He gets in the back of the minivan while the kids are in their carseats.  Kids are strapped in so tight in car seats now days they can't turn around to see what's happening.

I'm sure they've processed the van?

Truth is always the strongest argument. --- Sophocles

Lighting a candle for a boy who needs a lot of love:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=jal 
ScareyCarrie
Monkey Junky

« Reply #259 on: December 18, 2009, 10:38:11 AM »

Susan Powell's family is between a rock and a hard place.  Family members are walking a fine line.  Josh is the father of those children and ... a continued connection with those two boys if Josh should not be held accountable for the death of their mother ... dictates an intact relationship.

The Susan and Josh Powell story has given me flashbacks.

Our daughter was in a controlling relationship for one year when she was 21.  This guy was very good looking and very charming.  They both shared a mutual faith.  He was a graduate from the local Christian University and ... had been accepted into a prominent accounting firm in Vancouver, BC.  He came from a very loving close family.

However ... this young man was so insecure with the relationship and ... he didn't have to be.  Our daughter was in love.  It seemed our daughter had to account for her every minute ... what she was doing ... who she was talking to.  He was jealous of her friendships.  He was jealous of her family relationships.

Right from the getgo ... this wannabe detective ... sensed that something was not right.  When I voiced my concern ... my daughter would staunchly defend him and ... continued to appease him to keep the peace.  It was so sad.  Our daughter had been such an independent young lady.  I learned to keep quiet and ... cry at night.  I reasoned if the relationship ended in marriage ... I would be the loser.  I did not want to be alienated from my daughter and future grandchildren.

Thankfully our daughter came to her senses ... ended the relationship when she realized there was nothing she could do to change the situation.  Although this guy had never been physically abusive ... I was concerned in regards to a possible backlash.  Thankfully ... it never happened and a short time later our daughter went to Thailand on the mission field on a two year commitment.  My hubby and I missed her terribly but ... everything is relative  We rathered she was half way across the world than in a controlling relationship.

Janet   

BBM, this would be a very very difficult situation to be in especially without solid physical evidence.... 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.