April 20, 2024, 06:48:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEW CHILD BOARD CREATED IN THE POLITICAL SECTION FOR THE 2016 ELECTION

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Susan Powell, 28 yo, missing 12/6/09 West Valley City, UT 12/10/09 - 8/17/10#1  (Read 353214 times)
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #300 on: December 18, 2009, 05:08:41 PM »

Friends and neighbors hold vigil for missing West Valley woman
December 10th, 2009 @ 10:15pm

<snipped>

Neighbor talks about conversation with Josh Powell

Earlier in the day Thursday, the Powells' neighbor talked to KSL News about a conversation he had with Josh Powell Wednesday night.

Tim Peterson said Josh asked him for a ride to pick up his van, which police had searched. He said Josh's behavior was odd and he didn't know what to make of it.

"She's a friend of ours, and this is tearing us up," Peterson said.

Like many others, Peterson has a lot of questions about Susan's disappearance, and he didn't get any answers from Josh.

"He'd only had like six hours of sleep in two days, and so he was just kind of in a haze. He just really wasn't himself," Peterson said. "Anytime we mentioned Susan, he didn't, he wouldn't respond. He wouldn't talk about her."

But Peterson said Josh did talk about having to buy new clothes and a new quilt. He said Josh also told him he last saw Susan just after midnight Monday, when he left with his two young boys to go camping  ...

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8986844

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #301 on: December 18, 2009, 05:10:24 PM »

Ok here is the full weird interview.  He says he has to go, heads to the house but instead of going up the stairs goes past them to where his house number is , glances over his shoulder at the cameras, kicks or covers something up with snow right under the house number, glances over at cameras again, then goes into the house.

Thoughts?

http://www.fox13now.com/videobeta/?watchId=9e25538d-d839-400a-8b3a-6797d6ef0121
What an azz, I'm not sure what he was doing, maybe pretending to be all disoriented from grief.

I don't see anything in particular on the ground.  This guy is a freak IMO. 

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

Zoe you will always be in my heart and soul

« Reply #302 on: December 18, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »

He is a freak, I agree, and I would love to know why he felt it necessary to tell the neighbor he needed to buy new clothes and a quilt, was he dropping a hint about a quilt and where his wife is somewhere in a quilt?
mymonkey
Monkey Junky

« Reply #303 on: December 18, 2009, 05:29:22 PM »

He is a freak, I agree, and I would love to know why he felt it necessary to tell the neighbor he needed to buy new clothes and a quilt, was he dropping a hint about a quilt and where his wife is somewhere in a quilt?

Josh enjoys antagonizing people I think he said that to him for a reaction..jmo ..I have a feeling he may have placed Susans body where it will never be found....he reminds to much of Drew Peterson in his own way.

no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #304 on: December 18, 2009, 05:32:25 PM »

Josh enjoys antagonizing people I think he said that to him for a reaction..jmo ..I have a feeling he may have placed Susans body where it will never be found....he reminds to much of Drew Peterson in his own way.
You could be right, waiting to see a reaction. I see a combination of a couple of husbands that killed their wives in Josh  I sure hope that isn't the case, that Susan won't be found.
klaasend
Administrator
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #305 on: December 18, 2009, 05:59:15 PM »

I think Susan's body will be found.  Josh is smart but I don't think that smart.  They will find her out in the woods near where they were "camping". 
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #306 on: December 18, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »

By now his vehicle has a GPS unit attached, his phones are tapped, his freedom is short.
His friends are also Susans friends and they will pass on what they know.

Who is caring for the children?

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #307 on: December 18, 2009, 07:13:28 PM »

By now his vehicle has a GPS unit attached, his phones are tapped, his freedom is short.

During Susan's family presser yesterday that was asked.  They stated the kids are going between Josh and Josh's sister house to be cared for right now.  His sister has kids in the same age range as the boys.
Mere
Monkey Junky

« Reply #308 on: December 18, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »

During Susan's family presser yesterday that was asked.  They stated the kids are going between Josh and Josh's sister house to be cared for right now.  His sister has kids in the same age range as the boys.

Oh thanks NR....sounds like a great idea that his sister and BIL are over-seeing the kids and that the kids are with family. 

_<br />I believe in miracles...!
Tamikosmom
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #309 on: December 18, 2009, 07:37:43 PM »

In my opinion ... damage control was where it was at.

Maybe Josh realized that he might have been caught on security cameras purchasing a quilt to wrap Susan in.  Maybe the new clothes replace those he was wearing when something bad happened and/or ... when he was disposing of her body.

On the other hand ... maybe the quilt was puchased to replace one taken from the home.

It would be interesting to know if a quilt was in his vehicle when he returned home.  It would be interesting if his original clothes were in the vehicle.

Janet

Loving Natalee - Beth Holloway
Page 219: I have to make difficult choices every day.  I have to make a conscious decision every morning when I wake up not to be bitter, not to live in resentment and let anger control me.  It's not easy.  I ask God to help me.
_____

“A person of integrity expects to be believed and when he’s not, he let’s time prove him right.” -unknown
no rose colored glasses
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #310 on: December 18, 2009, 07:41:57 PM »

In my opinion ... damage control was where it was at.

Maybe Josh realized that he might have been caught on security cameras purchasing a quilt to wrap Susan in.  Maybe the new clothes replace those he was wearing when something bad happened and/or ... when he was disposing of her body.

On the other hand ... maybe the quilt was puchased to replace one taken from the home.

It would be interesting to know if a quilt was in his vehicle when he returned home.  It would be interesting if his original clothes were in the vehicle.

Janet

That makes sense. Also I'm sure that LE has checked all of Susan's coats, because she wouldn't have left the home without a coat. Since the purse and cell phone were still there, I'm sure Josh didn't think to take a coat along.
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2009, 07:53:14 PM »

Police still puzzled over Utah mom's disappearance
By BROCK VERGAKIS (AP) – 1 hour ago

SALT LAKE CITY — Josh Powell says he packed up the family van in the middle of a freezing night on Dec. 7 and took his two young boys on an impromptu camping trip in the snow-covered wilderness. He said his wife stayed home and went to bed.

She has not been heard from since. Susan Powell never showed up at her stockbroker job the next morning — her keys, purse and cell phone all left at home. The husband was a no-show at work as well, saying he lost track of what day it was during the camping excursion.

Police are mystified by Josh Powell's story and have named him as the sole person of interest in his wife's disappearance. Authorities suspect foul play, and they say the husband's reluctance to provide basic information about his whereabouts that night has only fueled their suspicion.

"Usually something will surface within a few hours or a day, and everybody goes home happy and singing Kumbaya," said Tom McLachlan, a police captain in West Valley City, a suburb of Salt Lake City. "On this one, that's not happening, and we're very concerned about that."

Police have twice searched the Powell home and the family van, but have not said what they found. They also took DNA samples from Josh Powell and other unidentified family members. Susan Powell's father said police found a wet spot in the home being dried by two fans, but investigators have declined to comment on that.

Susan Powell's family has spent days giving interviews to media outlets around the country to keep her face in front of the public. Josh Powell, 33, has barely spoken publicly and has hired a criminal defense attorney who often defends high-profile clients. And when he has appeared in public, he often looks haggard and downcast.

"I didn't do anything. I mean I, I don't know where she's at. I, I don't even know where to start looking," Josh Powell told KUTV in Salt Lake City on Dec. 10.

Powell's story for the timeline of events the evening of Dec. 7 has baffled authorities.

He said he took the boys, ages 2 and 4, on the camping trip after midnight, even though he had to be at work a few hours later at his trucking company job. He said he forgot what day it was when he went camping because he did not go to church the day before.

Powell said the campsite was in a vast, mountainous area on the Pony Express Trail, making it difficult for authorities to search the area. Police say Powell has not said exactly where on the trail he spent the night in his van, although his attorney said Friday he's never been asked to take police to the site.

His kids never made it to day care that day, prompting workers at the center to call family members asking where the children were.

When he returned home on the evening of Dec. 7, he found his window broken in by police and his 28-year-old wife missing.

Authorities feared the Powells might have been poisoned by carbon monoxide after they all vanished on the same day.

Police have said the couple's 4-year-old told investigators the three did go camping, but police have been unable to verify the trip because the campsite area has been covered in snow.

Family and friends say it would be completely out of character for Susan Powell to wander off without contacting anyone, particularly without her purse, cell phone and keys. Each of those items was found in the Powells' locked home when police entered.

Charles Cox, Susan Powell's father, says it's not uncommon for his daughter and her husband to go to bed late. He also says Josh is known to lose track of time and show up hours late to events.

"He gets lost in what he's doing," he said. "And he would think nothing of, 'Oh, let's go get something.' If he could do something in the middle of the night and thought he'd wanted to do it, he'd do it. Does it sound totally out there? No, not based on his personality."

However, family and friends have said Susan Powell never would have let her children go camping at that hour.

"We know that Susan is an excellent mother and would not have tolerated her children being taken out of the home after midnight to go camping in dangerously cold conditions," said Shelby Gifford, a family friend who is acting as spokeswoman for Susan Powell's parents.

Gifford's comments about the late-night camping trip hint at what other friends have said — that Susan and Josh's marriage was strained.

Court records show that the family filed for bankruptcy in 2007. Police have reportedly obtained a notebook or journal from Susan Powell's office that describes an alleged threat made by her husband about a year ago.

"I just know that every family and every couple has stress. I do know that there have been points where she has felt controlled, but I know in the last year, she has kind of freed herself from some of that," said Mindy Guzman, a friend who took some of the last known photos of Susan and Josh at a church breakfast on Dec 5.

Susan Powell went to Mormon services the next day without her husband. That night, she had dinner with family friend JoVonna Owings at the house. Powell disappeared the next day.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jE-50f71E8ypwigW42nKuDx27hxAD9CM0OP00
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #312 on: December 18, 2009, 07:55:19 PM »

Full uncut interview mentioned in teh article above

http://connect2utah.com/content/video/?cid=67882
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #313 on: December 18, 2009, 08:07:30 PM »

Slideshow
Susan Powell WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah (ABC 4 News) – Police are building a case to help solve the disappearance of Susan Powell.

But authorities won’t say who they’re targeting.

Yesterday, police searched the home of her husband Josh Powell for the second time. In addition, police also used a search warrant to look at Powell’s van last week.

But credit card transactions and cell phone records may offer clues for police.

Police won't say if those records they’re seeking belong to Josh. But historically those kinds of record searches help police.

"What that does especially a financial account or a cell phone record it allows us to get a better picture of what went on at what time and what amount was spent at what locations,” said police Captain Tom McLachlan.

He did acknowledge that surveillance videos at convenience stores in West Valley are also being gathered by investigators.

"I'm sure that that has been done what results are I'm not aware of,” he said.

Mitzi Dodge said the Powell's came to the store she manages often and she's anxious to help out.

"The surveillance tape is available, the cops can come and pick that up if they need to look at the surveillance tape,” she said.

Police won't say what or who they're looking for on those tapes.

But police subpoenaed ABC4 news for an interview with Josh Powell.

"We need that to review and not have the edited information,” he said.

Josh Powell claimed he went camping with the boys late Sunday night while Susan was sleeping at the home.

It wasn't until three o'clock Monday afternoon that Susan's friend Kiiri Hellewell called him to say she's missing.

And she told ABC4 News Josh showed up at the house two hours later.

Those bank and cell phone records could tell police where a person who disappeared for nearly a day actually went.

And when asked if police were building a case against Josh Powell McLachlan answered this way: “We are building a case.”

http://www.abc4.com/mostpopular/story/Police-building-case-to-solve-missing-mom-mystery/SQsurPy820CQZwWdoCrDlw.cspx
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2009, 08:12:34 PM »

ABC4 interview from Dec 11

http://www.abc4.com/news/local/story/Police-say-husband-Person-of-Interest/Betj-Tpn5kOnRDFMiGeogQ.cspx
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #315 on: December 18, 2009, 08:23:58 PM »

article from Dec 9

WEST VALLEY CITY Utah (ABC4 News) – It’s been three days and there is still no sign of Susan Powell.

The married mother of two disappeared Sunday night and police remain puzzled over her disappearance.

“We don’t even know if a crime has been committed,” said Captain T. McLachlan of the West Valley police department.

But her close friends fear the worse.

"We just know something bad has happened because she would never leave her children,” said Kiirsi Hellewell.

Hellewell said she last saw Powell Sunday walking home from church.

The next day she was gone.

“We can't get any sleep,” she said. “We're all sick to our stomachs."

Hellewell said Powell was last seen Sunday night during a family dinner with other friends.

But the next day she said Powell failed to drop her kids off with daycare.

And then she didn't show up for work as well.

"She would never go anywhere without notifying her work,” Hellewell said. “She would told them, called in sick would have called her daycare provider who is very close they're good friends."

Police came to the Powell home Monday morning and when no one answered they feared carbon monoxide poisoning.

They busted out a window to look inside but there was no sign of anyone.

"We're very, very worried, trying to get the word out as much as we can,” Hellewell said.

Monday afternoon at three, she spoke with Josh by phone.

She said he was driving around with the kids.

Hellewell told him about Susan and that he needed to come home.

According to Hellewell it took him two hours to get home.

"There's no words to describe what’s happening,” she said. “You hear about this stuff happening and it’s awful but at least it’s not us until it’s your best friend.”

Hellewell said the Powell family moved into the neighborhood five years ago.

Police said there have never been any calls of domestic violence.

But Hellewell said Susan Powell confided in her last year that she was thinking about a divorce.

“But she said things have been working out lately,” Hellewell said.

http://www.abc4.com/news/local/story/West-Valley-woman-missing/a7vyloVCmkmkg_qSEhv08w.cspx
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #316 on: December 18, 2009, 08:35:24 PM »

Josh said he was on his way home when he got a call that Susan was missing.

The friend said she got ahold of Josh at 3:00 on Monday and it took him 2 hours to get home (5:00)

Josh said in the interview he got home at went to bed at 5:30. 

Your wife is missing and you go to bed?

When I googled from their home to Pony Express Tooele there are two routes.  The Northern route is 61.3 miles estimated driving time is 1 hour 50 minutes

The East route is 74.5 miles estimated drive time 2 hours 7 mins.

Either way getting home in two hours would fit regardless of the route he took if in fact he was telling the truth about where he went.  What does not make sense is that he said he was already on his way home when he got the call.  How much further away was he truly then?  Anyone know that area and the campsites down in that area?

Here are the two possible routes, not saying these are the only ones.

The east route gets pretty close to Utah Lake.

texasmom
Monkey Mega Star

ARUBA: It's all about Natalee...we won't give up!

« Reply #317 on: December 18, 2009, 08:50:35 PM »

Thanks for all of the information Northern Rose!   

I stand with the girl, Natalee Holloway.

"I can look back over the past 10 years and there were no steps wasted, and there are no regrets,'' she said. "I did all I knew to do and I think that gives me greater peace now." "I've lived every parent's worst nightmare and I'm the parent that nobody wants to be," she said.

Beth Holloway, 2015 interview with Greta van Susteren
Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #318 on: December 18, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »

Thanks for all of the information Northern Rose!   

How the heck do you not know where you went camping?

I found the following and will map them and see what happens

Settlement Canyon

South on Tooele’s Main St. and turn left onto Settlement Canyon after 500 So. RV pads reserved by calling 435-882-9041 Tents first come first serve

Middle Canyon

From Tooele City’s Main St. turn east onto Vine. Proceed one mile passing Oquirrh Hills 18 hole Golf Course. Continue East. No hook ups or bathrooms available. There are tables and barbecue pits.

Grantsville Reservoir

Located approx three miles south of Grantsville on a sloping plain east of the Stansbury Mt. foothills. There is no fee at the reservoir.

South Willow Canyon

West on Grantsville’s Main St. and turn left onto Mormon Trail Road. Drive four miles west. Upper Narrow can be reserved in advanced at $30.00 for 30 people or $55.00 for up to 50 people. Small groups pay $8.00 per night.

Clover Springs

From Tooele tale SR-36 south for 15 miles Turn right on Hwy SR-199 and proceed west toward Dugway Proving Grounds. Drive eight more miles and campsite is on your left. Camping is free.

Little Valley

This is a favorite of four-wheelers. From Tooele take SR-36 (Main St.) South for 35 miles. Turn right on Lookout Pass Road (also called Pony Express Road) Go seven miles to campsite.

Simpson Springs

From Little Valley continue west on Lookout pass Road for approx 20 miles.

Silver Mountain/Floating Island

Camp among the many caves of Silver Island Mountain. Ancient Fremont people reportedly lived in these caves. Take Exit 2 off 1-80 near Wendover and head toward Danger Cave State Park. Take a right after a couple of miles look for the Silver Mt. Loop 30 miles.

Vernon Reservoir

This reservoir has a reputation for good fishing. This site is on the southern end of the Wasatch-Cache National Forest. Take SR-36 (Main St.) south of Vernon. As you leave Vernon the road curves to the east. Turn right after and the curve, go south on a road called Benmore. Continue seven miles. Take a left to head east for about one mile.

http://www.tooelechamber.com/tooele-utah-chamber_tooele-utah-camping.html

Northern Rose
Monkey Mega Star

« Reply #319 on: December 18, 2009, 09:08:52 PM »

Settlement Canyon

South on Tooele’s Main St. and turn left onto Settlement Canyon after 500 So. RV pads reserved by calling 435-882-9041 Tents first come first serve

Distance 29.2 miles 49 minutes travel time. Very close to a resouvior.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Use of this web site in any manner signifies unconditional acceptance, without exception, of our terms of use.